March 29, 2024, 06:18:08 AM

Author Topic: Women Warriors Thread  (Read 129117 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Women Warriors one win away from World Cup.
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2014, 07:18:16 PM »
I couldn't be any prouder of these ladies. No complacency come December 2nd, we don't want the ghost of November 19th, 1989 coming back to haunt us.

ENT. It took 16 yrs to recover from that dreadful day, I eh want 2 relive that again.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
I couldn't be any prouder of these ladies. No complacency come December 2nd, we don't want the ghost of November 19th, 1989 coming back to haunt us.

ENT. It took 16 yrs to recover from that dreadful day, I eh want 2 relive that again.

big game .. Jus stop bringing up dat unfortunate date before allyuh blight  di children dem nuh..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
Does a score draw in the return leg mean that Ecuador will qualify?

What's the tie breaker?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »

big game .. Jus stop bringing up dat unfortunate date before allyuh blight  di children dem nuh..

war

Just keep yuh gyul Kams away from them and they will b ok.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »

What's the tie breaker?

Yes. 1-1, or any draw with goals means Ecuador will qualify on away goals.  :nailbiting:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »

What's the tie breaker?

Yes. 1-1, or any draw with goals means Ecuador will qualify on away goals.  :nailbiting:

Thanks. Lots of work left to be done
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2014, 02:17:12 AM »

What's the tie breaker?

Thanks. Lots of work left to be done

Ecuador will be coming with all guns blazing to at least score one goal so we will need to try our best to keep a clean sheet and beat them by at least 2 goals to keep things safe. This is not going to be an easy game to win even with us being at home unless we impose our selves on Ecuador.   :nailbiting:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2014, 02:47:29 AM »
Brave Women Warriors hold Ecuador goalless.
T&T Guardian Reports.

A determined, physical and gritty performance from T&T’s senior women’s team was rewarded by a goalless draw against Ecuador yesterday, when the two teams battled in the first leg of a two-match qualifying playoff for next year’s Fifa Women’s World Cup.

Playing at the Estadio Olimpico Atahualpa, Quito, one of the most intimidating venues for traveling teams because of its altitude, captain Maylee Attin-Johnson’s T&T team epitomised their “Women Soca Warriors” nickname as she and her teammates once again beat the odds stacked against them.

The result, likely to give T&T the edge for the December 2 second leg in Port-of-Spain, left head coach Randy Waldrum much more satisfied than his counterpart, Vanessa Arauz.

It was a match lacking genuine goal-scoring chances for either team but T&T goalkeeper Kimika Forbes nevertheless turned up in another outstanding display. Despite being called into only one reflex save early on, Forbes’ calculated movement off her line and top-notch handling of shots and aerial crosses, may have been a real factor in keeping a most valuable clean sheet for T&T.

She also had the support of a strong back-line marshalled by Arin King, who was confident and composed. However, T&T visibly struggled in the final third. Attempts to play through the middle were often cut off by the Ecuadorian defence, leaving T&T’s key forward Kennya Cordner and Mariah Shade often isolated. Winger Ahkeela Mollon made a number of bursts off the flank and also recorded T&T’s only shot on target late in the match, while Ecuador made desperate attempts on the other end to please the home support with a goal.

Ecuador had a couple of attempts and were naturally more daring going forward but T&T was by no means second best, particularly in the first half, which the away team dominated. T&T slowed the pace in the second period and allowed Ecuador to press but continued a strong defensive display.

Only with the last quarter of the match remaining, some T&T players showed signs of fatigue given the testing conditions. Apart from Attin-Johnson nearly receiving a second yellow card in the 75th minute, the Warriors remained composed to celebrate the draw. Ecuador, desperate to find something to leave home with, had a penalty appeal waved away by the German official with five minutes remaining.

On the other end, within the five minutes of time added on, Cordner almost came up massive when she put the ball into the net with a header but this time the referee blew in Ecuador’s favour, as Cordner was adjudged to have impeded the goalkeeper, although her eyes were glued to the ball.

It was a fair result for both teams in the end but a less-than-positive one for Ecuador, based on its reported expectations prior to kick-off. The six-day preparation camp in Mexico, which ended on Wednesday, seemed to have the ideal effect on Waldrum’s players, who almost seemed more comfortable in sprints than the opposition, before the final third of the match. Speaking after the match, Waldrum offered praises to his players and said he could ask little more of them.

“They were all just warriors out there today,” he said. “We came into this game wanting a positive result, to stay in the game as long as we could and we did everything for that to happen today. I’m extremely pleased with the way we kept it together out there.  “There were times in the game where they (Ecuador) tried to break us down but we kept it strong and considering the conditions of this match, I have to really applaud the players for this great effort today.”

He added, however, that the players should not get ahead of themselves but ought to remain focused on the task at hand. “We’ve got to now ensure that the focus remains and I’m sure it will because these girls are keeping their eyes firmly on the prize which is qualification for Canada. But, we’ll also ensure that we do things right because playing at home now is different to what we‘ve had in the recent past.

The Caribbean Championship was great but we’re now looking at a World Cup Final qualifying game here where everything is on the line.” He urged the T&T public to turn out in support in the team. “It’s a great opportunity now for the folks back in Trinidad to really show their love and support for this team,” he said. The team is expected to return home tomorrow morning.

RELATED NEWS

‘Women Warriors’ set-up decider with gritty draw
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (NEWSDAY).

Trinidad and Tobago put themselves in position to qualify for the 2015 Women’s World Cup after a gutsy 0-0 draw in high altitude yesterday against Ecuador in the first leg of their play-off at the Atahualpa Stadium in Quito, Ecuador.

The “Women Soca Warriors” now have 90 minutes at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on December 2 to beat the South Americans and book their ticket for a first ever appearance at the global showpiece in Canada.

Battle hardened at the recently concluded CONCACAF Women’s Championship where they placed fourth, the TT women gave a sterling account of themselves despite playing over 9000 feet above sea level.

Well organised in defence and looking to hit on the counter, the TT team executed their game plan well in limiting their opponents despite suffering a dip in performance in the second half when fatigue began to set in.

The taller TT team looked a threat throughout the game on set pieces and will definitely be looking to exploit that advantage in the return leg.

Former national player Brent Sancho, a member of the 2006 Soca Warriors team that qualified for the World Cup in Germany, commended the team for their gritty showing yesterday but warned that the job is not yet complete.

“Obviously they should be proud of their performance but they have to be wary that the job is only halfway done. I know some of the girls personally so I know complacency won’t step in,” he said.

Sancho noted though that the tie is still undecided with no team gaining a decisive edge as yet.

“I am always cautious with a zero zero tie. It’s still a lot of football to be played. No team scored so there isn’t an away goal advantage (for us). There is still a sizeable chunk of work left to be done but if you’d ask coach Randy Waldrum before if he’d taken a zero zero tie I’m sure he would have. They’re halfway there. It’s not a great result but it’s not a bad result,” he added.

The hosts, backed by a vociferous 17,000 crowd yesterday, started strongly, looking to find gaps in the TT backline with their short passing game.

The TT defence, marshalled by central defender Arin King, stood firm though to repel the first wave of pressure.

King, outsanding throughout the 90, showed her fancy footwork in the 27th minute, dribbling past four Ecuador players in a strong run that took her into Ecuador territory before passing off the ball.

Right winger Ahkeela Mollon was also looking good, beating players at will down the flank but was unable to deliver that final killer cross.

A strong run down the right channel by Mollon in the 31st looked promising for the visitors but the dreadlocked player’s cross was too close to Ecuador goalkeeper Shirley Berruz who collected the ball with ease. A minute later, Kennya Cordner received a through ball down the left but attempted to take on three defenders when a pass to Mollon on top the box would have been the better option.

Ecuador, persisting with their short passing game, crafted their best chance from a long ball to Lorena Aguilar but King stuck to her task to block the forward’s shot. Mollon was having her way with the Ecuadoreans who found it easier to foul her than stop her legally.

A free-kick won by Mollon in the 35th gave TT the chance to strike from the deal ball and captain Maylee Attin-Johnson saw her shot from just outside the area blocked after the free-kick was cleared straight to her.

Ecuador started the second half brightly, and midfielder Andrea Tenorio tried her luck from distance with a couple shots that had goalkeeper Kimika Forbes concerned.

Ecuador substitute Monica Quinteros was causing the TT defnce some headache with her pace and strength and looked goalbound when sent clear but Forbes raced off her line to make a crucial clearance in the 62nd.

With the altitude beginning to take its toll on the TT players, Ecuador assumed ascanedancy as the Caribbean women struggled to get out their half.

Coach Randy Waldrum quicky sought to refresh his team with subsitutions, taking off the tiring left-back Lauryn Hutchinson (64th), Mariah Shade (66th) and Jenine Francois (76th) in favour of Ayanna Russell, Tasha St Louis and Dernelle Mascall.

Despite weary, TT were looking dangerous on the counter with the hosts pushing for the go-ahead goal and leaving space in the back. In the 85th, a combination that worked so well at the CONCACAF Championship almost came to the rescue again as Mollon made progress down her flank and looked to pick out Cordner at the last post but the TT forward could not jump high enough to connect on a header.

TT had the ball in the back of the net in injury time when a cross from Mollon was attacked by Cordner who fouled the Ecuador goalie attempting to head the ball.

There were to be no scares as TT picked up a precious draw to head back home with just a win needed.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:00:20 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2014, 03:38:22 AM »
Although the match was firmly a tactical battle complicated by the conditions (altitude, playing away, and the physical condition of our players - fatigue included), it was not a "great game".

It ended up being a "good game", but primarily on the merit of heightened moments in the second half ... as both teams actively opted for more than to negate the actions of the opponent.

The first half was bland, and likely encouraging to both coaching staffs as evidence of opportunities to exploit the opponent was easily identifiable to the other team.

In my view, both dressing rooms relished getting to the half time whistle to discuss what needed to be tweaked. Most weren't subtleties. Most were items there for the taking (or preventing).

Both coaching staffs were well-prepared. The occasional issue was with players (on both teams) not remaining faithful to the script.

Despite our overall caution - no doubt weighted by altitude and physical health concerns - I was disappointed that we didn't exhaustively exploit available 1 v 1 situations on Ecuador's defending left flank. It seemed evident that there was a vulnerability in that position. (Alternatively, in the second half we briefly overloaded their right defending flank with some measure of promise).

Nonetheless, I have to applaud Mollon's enterprise. She covered a lot of ground with the ball in taking on the opponent, but didn't ... and to be fair couldn't consistently have the support of players in advanced positions. However, I would like to see her vary some of her attacking movement (make some actions inside, diagonal and incisive) rather than linear and down the flanks ... although yesterday she effectively rode several challenges like a gazelle, and as on other occasions left an impression and entertained with a truly, TRULY sublime moment of skill, worthy of throwing $ at her feet.  :notworthy:

For my $ Mollon still has another gear bottled up in her. If she shifts to that gear, be on high alert.

Our midfield (collectively) remains an area of concern. It's an area on the field in which being attentive to defensive responsibilities on transition is particularly important. One player in particular was having difficulty being on the right side of the ball and her opponent ... and to our danger seemed to be hedging her bets on recovering. Fortunately, this issue was addressed.

Positively though ... as the game developed, I was impressed by our captain's rendition in midfield. She grew with the game and took command of nullifying dangerous situations while generating our attack from increasingly advanced positions on the field. Kudos to her. :beermug:

I thought the central defenders were not only effective in addressing aerial balls, and dealing with the threat imposed by Coach Arauz's introduction of Monica Quinteros Cabeza. I also thought they were  comfortable and mentally tuned in. Certainly, Arin King's composure and intervention proved to be invaluable at critical moments. However, deficiencies in the midfield cause her to step high to address penetration, and it becomes a game of inches when she's drawn/sucked out of position. It's not an ideal situation.

Quinteros - one of the new players called up to the Ecuadoran squad in anticipation of this game (although not for the first time as she has prior NT experience) gave us something to think about not just through being faster than the player she replaced, but also in her willingness to hold the ball and attract/confront defenders. Her presence on the field earlier, in accompaniment with the midfielder Ambar Torres, might have led to them capitalizing on the concern noted above. 

Areas in which we were particularly poor: service of the ball from wide areas and GROSS indiscipline in moving offside. 

Our players have self-belief, talent and confidence. What still plagues us is concentration and being too casual. I believe we have the arsenal to take care of the return leg in Port-of-Spain, but I am wary of being undone by a moment of mental slackness. One had the sense that we were being unguarded in delicate moments. Thankfully, the referee's sophistication and attentiveness helped us.

In the meantime, fitness has to be a concern. There's a lot of work to be done to put us on the right side of history.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:46:29 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2014, 06:31:41 AM »
Good post asylumseeker.

The T&T captain Ms Johnson is a very clever player, but she have to be careful cause she like to get cards, we need her.

She has improve a lot.

Still find Tasha did not make any impact.

Other than that, I agree with your post.

We need to be ready mentally.

And we need to make better use of the ball.

One big problem with our team and I saw this vs Mexico and Costa Rica, we does give away de ball to easily and sometime to close to our own box down de center and if we did not have a good keeper was more goal in we ass.

We need to fix that.

De team improve in de defensive department but they need some good attacking training. Waldrum seems like he strong in defense training.

Our forward player all over de place and we expecting her to run from midfield.

De coach using Mollon and Cordner wrongly.

These players can make things happen up front, we need to utilize that, we cant have players running from midfield and by the time they reach up front they tired or they have no options.

Some little tweaks need fixing up front.

We have de players.

A system like this is good for de return game.

-------------1--------------
-------------2--------------
----3-----------------4-----
-------------5--------------
----6--------7--------8-----
-------------9--------------
--------10--------11--------

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:38:49 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2014, 06:40:18 AM »
Seriously, T&T have got to take this now. Will the stadium be packed for this? What is the feel amongst the people in T&T right now?

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2014, 08:12:57 AM »
You've got to wonder if Ecuador held back just a bit to avoid a goal,IMO if we had lost 2-1,the impact may have been better,with the away goal counting double.Our home encounter will now take on a different flavour,and we must look for goals,that is always dicey.We now have to avoid a goal and also look for goals,we'll be under some pressure,but I think history will be made after watching our ladies fight in foreign conditions.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
Good post asylumseeker.  :beermug:

The T&T captain Ms Johnson is a very clever player, but she have to be careful cause she like to get cards, we need her.

She has improve a lot.

Still find Tasha did not make any impact.

Other than that, I agree with your post.

We need to be ready mentally.

And we need to make better use of the ball.

One big problem with our team and I saw this vs Mexico and Costa Rica, we does give away de ball to easily and sometime to close to our own box down de center and if we did not have a good keeper was more goal in we ass.

We need to fix that.

De team improve in de defensive department but they need some good attacking training. Waldrum seems like he strong in defense training.

Our forward player all over de place and we expecting her to run from midfield.

De coach using Mollon and Cordner wrongly.

These players can make things happen up front, we need to utilize that, we cant have players running from midfield and by the time they reach up front they tired or they have no options.

Some little tweaks need fixing up front.

We have de players.

A system like this is good for de return game.

-------------1--------------
-------------2--------------
----3-----------------4-----
-------------5--------------
----6--------7--------8-----
-------------9--------------
--------10--------11--------

These are items I have thoughts on, but preferred to defer discussing ... but since you've raised them, ah will comment lil bit.

1. Tasha St. Louis

A player of pedigree, but with a health situation (ah doh know the specifics, but it's evident) that is restricting her effectiveness/impact. Sometimes when faced with situations like this, coaches opt for the player being on the field to deliver a moment of magic. This comes with downsides that tend to  mean that other players have to compensate for the injured player's inability to do certain things.

It also means that teammates should be tuned in enough to know that they can play that player only certain types of passes ... yesterday I saw a couple of "not so thoughtful" balls into Tasha that she could never address in her present state.

It also means we have to be clear as to which player we need/want addressing the final ball. If chances are going to come rarely, yuh better get the right personnel there. However, once a player is on the field, I expect a lil something from the player ... especially in these situations. So yeah, fair play on that point.

It's essential for the coach to know when to deal another hand. Because yuh could only linger in sentimentality and romanticism fuh so long ... ultimately, the takeaway here might be that we need to do a deep genealogical search to find a pre-done baller eligible to play for us ... OR ... toss an understudy into the deep end, and work in earnest between now and December 2 on that player's ability to impose her will on the opponent, and cohesive understanding with fellow attackers.

As it stands, the Tasha option seems to tip the scales when Coachman glances at his bench. So, it is what it is.

2. Our improvement defensively versus where we are in the attacking department

In an elimination situation, no surprise why we drill home a defensive commitment. We have several players with natural attacking instincts and attacking commitment. However, what a couple of these players need to cultivate is where they need to be defensively should attacking movement break down. Even on set plays, we don't read well enough where second balls are likely to break. Two passes by a more surgical opponent could slice us open.

Regarding cohesive understanding, I would say Mollon and Cordner have an attacking expectation/understanding of each other, but because they play at some distance apart ... this makes the pivotal ingredient the combination play and movement of any third player in attack (typically the player working off Mollon) ... this is an area where things are not "tight". It's not bad, but it isn't sufficiently orchestrated.

Sometimes yesterday, particularly in the first half ... YaYa was underutilized (although in good positions), and somewhat due to no link-up play through third player options (if there was a third player option). Basically this problem comes down to incorporating the midfield into the attack ... yesterday, circumstances weren't perfect so ah empathise with the coaching staff on that one because they were trying to strike a defensive balance. The alternative would have been playing long, diagonal balls (almost from flank to flank) ... but that would have been a risky proposition ... and ah not even sure we have personnel who could hit those.

When Ecuador had the ball in advanced areas, you could see their attacking intent, what their dynamism created (seams etc.), and how we could be exploited. In football you want players to be unpredictable, BUT ... when an attack is predictable and yuh can't stop the attack (or are troubled by it) ... it speaks volumes to that attack.

When we had the ball in attack, our players at times looked like independent actors rather than clearly on the same page. So, there is something in what yuh saying in terms of the product we saw ... but in fairness, this is still a work in progress. After we qualify, we should see things worked out as the staff can focus more liberally on the attacking element.

Mollon did "come" for the ball. This did work her physically. She did well in doing that. I think she did that because she wants the ball. Ah doh think Coach necessarily expects her to work for it there. However, in observing that, I would note that her coming for the ball also allowed her to be in place to contribute some robust challenges to break up Ecuador generating an attack ... so on both sides of the ball, we got some measure of good from her.

3. Loss of possession in sensitive areas

This is undeniably correct. Usually occurred, not so much through passes (although I can think of one horrible square pass that could have poisoned us), but through dribbling.

Our players need to appreciate when releasing the ball is the preferred option. Because we have issues in transition, loss of possession in advanced areas for the opponent needlessly creates exposure for us in ways that are entirely avoidable.

I found myself cussing when these unforced errors occurred. Ah doh want to be cynical, but if you consider our tactical posture yesterday, rather than losing the ball through dribbling in those areas, I would have preferred to see the culprits play the ball into space behind the opposing defence ... away from the opposing keeper ... Consequence: their defenders turn their backs to our goal and chase the balls, and we obtain time to organize our lines. Same occurrence if the ball goes out of touch.  It's a fundamental way of releasing pressure.

Ah have to say that King's pass selection in terms of where ... and the type of balls to release pressure was excellent. Some of the lofted balls she played ... gave just enough to restore order and didn't risk any loss of possession in sensitive areas.

At the end of the day, what is past is past. The stage is set for us to make adjustments. The flip side of this is that Ecuador understands a bit more about our playing culture ... even if we feel we will deliver a stronger product on December 2, I feel they feel they will deliver a stronger product too.

Four years ago, at age 22, Arauz got into this gig because she finished at the top of her coaching cohort (not 1st, but possibly 2nd out of 22 candidates, and the first Ecuadoran woman to be credentialled). She had no idea it was coming (the federation president dropped the news on her at the graduation ceremony). The guy who finished 1st got a wuk with the U15s and 16s.

I think she's hanging pretty well, and has accomplished a lot to be on the door of WC qualification. No one in our camp should take anything for granted.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:27:00 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »
I did not see the game, but was pleased we came out with a tie. Would have love the win, but.....  So, Congrats to the Ladies. So now they have a respite until the next game. Conditioning, ball possession and passing could be worked on during this period. We could probably ask Ven. for a game, who knows. But our girls will be under "pressure" because we are at home. But as long as we come with a clear sheet, that is all that matters for now. God Bless, Ladies!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »
You've got to wonder if Ecuador held back just a bit to avoid a goal,IMO if we had lost 2-1,the impact may have been better,with the away goal counting double.Our home encounter will now take on a different flavour,and we must look for goals,that is always dicey.We now have to avoid a goal and also look for goals,we'll be under some pressure,but I think history will be made after watching our ladies fight in foreign conditions.

They wanted a "result" before travelling to us.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »
Although the match was firmly a tactical battle complicated by the conditions (altitude, playing away, and the physical condition of our players - fatigue included), it was not a "great game".

It ended up being a "good game", but primarily on the merit of heightened moments in the second half ... as both teams actively opted for more than to negate the actions of the opponent.

The first half was bland, and likely encouraging to both coaching staffs as evidence of opportunities to exploit the opponent was easily identifiable to the other team.

In my view, both dressing rooms relished getting to the half time whistle to discuss what needed to be tweaked. Most weren't subtleties. Most were items there for the taking (or preventing).

Both coaching staffs were well-prepared. The occasional issue was with players (on both teams) not remaining faithful to the script.

Despite our overall caution - no doubt weighted by altitude and physical health concerns - I was disappointed that we didn't exhaustively exploit available 1 v 1 situations on Ecuador's defending left flank. It seemed evident that there was a vulnerability in that position. (Alternatively, in the second half we briefly overloaded their right defending flank with some measure of promise).

Nonetheless, I have to applaud Mollon's enterprise. She covered a lot of ground with the ball in taking on the opponent, but didn't ... and to be fair couldn't consistently have the support of players in advanced positions. However, I would like to see her vary some of her attacking movement (make some actions inside, diagonal and incisive) rather than linear and down the flanks ... although yesterday she effectively rode several challenges like a gazelle, and as on other occasions left an impression and entertained with a truly, TRULY sublime moment of skill, worthy of throwing $ at her feet.  :notworthy:

For my $ Mollon still has another gear bottled up in her. If she shifts to that gear, be on high alert.

Our midfield (collectively) remains an area of concern. It's an area on the field in which being attentive to defensive responsibilities on transition is particularly important. One player in particular was having difficulty being on the right side of the ball and her opponent ... and to our danger seemed to be hedging her bets on recovering. Fortunately, this issue was addressed.

Positively though ... as the game developed, I was impressed by our captain's rendition in midfield. She grew with the game and took command of nullifying dangerous situations while generating our attack from increasingly advanced positions on the field. Kudos to her. :beermug:

I thought the central defenders were not only effective in addressing aerial balls, and dealing with the threat imposed by Coach Arauz's introduction of Monica Quinteros Cabeza. I also thought they were  comfortable and mentally tuned in. Certainly, Arin King's composure and intervention proved to be invaluable at critical moments. However, deficiencies in the midfield cause her to step high to address penetration, and it becomes a game of inches when she's drawn/sucked out of position. It's not an ideal situation.

Quinteros - one of the new players called up to the Ecuadoran squad in anticipation of this game (although not for the first time as she has prior NT experience) gave us something to think about not just through being faster than the player she replaced, but also in her willingness to hold the ball and attract/confront defenders. Her presence on the field earlier, in accompaniment with the midfielder Ambar Torres, might have led to them capitalizing on the concern noted above. 

Areas in which we were particularly poor: service of the ball from wide areas and GROSS indiscipline in moving offside. 

Our players have self-belief, talent and confidence. What still plagues us is concentration and being too casual. I believe we have the arsenal to take care of the return leg in Port-of-Spain, but I am wary of being undone by a moment of mental slackness. One had the sense that we were being unguarded in delicate moments. Thankfully, the referee's sophistication and attentiveness helped us.

In the meantime, fitness has to be a concern. There's a lot of work to be done to put us on the right side of history.

Man we could go into business you and I, but for the fact you don't need me  ;D .

I was wondering why we did not work a bit harder to exploit that left flank as Mollon was distressing that little girl. I would have like to see supporting player put themselves into dangerous areas in the box once Mollon had the ball vs that player. That was an instance where we could have committed numbers in the attack. I believe that we should have scored at least one goal from build up on that flank.

Also maybe give Mollon and Yaya a little less defensive responsibility. Maybe go a bit Dutch in the formation?

All your observation are spot on and fair.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
Hope we don't get to penalty kicks and we beat them in regular time, if we do get to a shootout hopefully the girls get in some practice and given some pointers on taking PK's. Putting your head down and going for a corner is risky, if the the keeper picks correct by moving before you kick then you screwed.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W1NQOgQaOJg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W1NQOgQaOJg</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »
Allyuh Spanish speakers! What it is de Ecuadorean coach say?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Iz9R28RVFRo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Iz9R28RVFRo</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2014, 01:01:23 PM »
She said they went out with the expectation or goal to win by 2-0. They gave 100% towards this and they were not playing for a 0-0. She said everything went as planned and the only thing missing was scoring a goal or two.
She said corrections will be made for the rematch in Port of Spain and once again they will be giving 100% to getting the result and qualifying.

Let me know if I miss anything who have a better ear than me.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »
She said they went out with the expectation or goal to win by 2-0. They gave 100% towards this and they were not playing for a 0-0. She said everything went as planned and the only thing missing was scoring a goal or two.
She said corrections will be made for the rematch in Port of Spain and once again they will be giving 100% to getting the result and qualifying.

yuh miss one ting, she say she lookin forward to meetin de dread who co-runs SWO in Puerta de Espana  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »
Hope they practice penalties just in case. And by practice..I mean practice at the end of a training session where they tired.

Feel we could win this in normal time though.....
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2014, 02:08:08 PM »
I hear 96.1wefm bigging up the game. Telling people to clear they schedule for this game.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline mcruic

• Full Warrior
  • 56 sports updated daily @ theroonba.com
    • View Profile
    • The Roon Ba international Team Sports
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2014, 04:04:11 PM »
Trinidad & Tobago women also down to compete in the Central American & Caribbean Games next week in Mexico - 17 November v Haiti, 19 November v Mexico, 21 November v Colombia.

Clearly, they will not send their A team, as they are preparing for Ecuador.  Anybody know what kind of team they will be sending?  The tournament has no age restrictions, and is for full national teams, so I think T&T will struggle.
50 sports updated daily @ theroonba.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2014, 03:42:23 AM »

... also specifically referred to their failure to capitalize on the chances created in the first half. Views this as a collective error.

It seems she thinks a first half goal would have made the difference.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »
I was at all the games in August to watch and support our Women' netballers qualify for the Worlds in Australia next year- the ladies mash up every team they played. December 02 passage done booked, I will be there to see our Women's Soca Warriors qualify for the Worlds in Canada-
Ladies let's make it happen- starts with a BELIEF- in self in team and in Faith that given our tLent and experience,against the likes of USA , Mexico and CR, we ought to be NEXT up for the WC!!!!!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #176 on: November 12, 2014, 02:52:25 AM »
A good thing going
By Garth Wattley (Express).

“We have a good thing going, togetherness make it so,So while the mauvais langue is flowing, we want our people to know,We play this game for both you and me, good and I but great are we, We have a good thing going with football in T&T...”

It’s November and Trinidad and Tobago is on the road again. The path this time is leading to Canadian 2015 for the Warriors in Randy Waldrum’s charge who are now one game and one win away from becoming the country’s first-ever representatives to play at a Women’s World Cup.

Here we go again, the voice in my head is singing.

Twenty-five years ago this month, the “Strike Squad” had a very good thing going on the road to Italy until Paul Caligiuri ended the journey. But that was some trip while it lasted.

Having got into the final round of qualifying, the last phase of the campaign began in Torrance, California against the Americans in Murdock Stadium. It was a May afternoon, a Saturday. I am in front my TV in St James.

Things are not looking too good for Clayton Morris and his men. Two minutes to go, and they are still trailing to Steve Trittschuh’s volley early in the second half. “Spiderman” Earl Carter has no chance with it.

But then, Brian Williams picks up the ball on the right side, just inside his half, flicks it over his head and turns, leaving out his American challenger, travels into the American half and chips in-field towards Hutson Charles.

Rather than collecting, “Baba” dummies and continues his run towards goal, the ball floating on to Marlon Morris. What does he do? Not take it on the chest and look for the pass, but dives forward and directs a flick header into Charles’ path. Clear through on goal, “Baba” steers a left footer past David Vanole in the USA goal. All square.

Creative, pacy and clinical, that goal set the tone for what was to follow in 1989. For a generation that had not known the Cha Cha Cha era of Malvern, the “Government” sides of Maple and the stars of St Benedict’s of the 1960s or were too young to identify with the side that was “robbed” of a place in the 1974 World Cup during the qualifying series in Haiti, this campaign presented T&T football like they had never seen it.

The 1970s had seen the game go into the doldrums. But this side led by Morris, coached by Everald “Gally” Cummings and conducted by Russell Latapy at his best brought freshness to the football.

It dragged all the closet followers back out, created new fans, and just gave people hope--mainly that they could actually see a T&T side play on the sport’s biggest stage.

That qualifying series threw up many memories that have lasted. The artistry of that goal in the US was an iPhone moment for sure. But so was the Kerry Jamerson thunderbolt that won the penultimate game against Guatemala at the then National Stadium.

With the game level at 1-1 in the second half, Latapy lays the ball back to Jamerson outside the 18-yard box and he drives into the bottom left-hand corner.

The Stadium was shaken to its foundations when the ball hit the back of that net. Relief and excitement was shooting around the place. It even possessed a soldier, the man leaving his post to take a prance on the field. Remember that?

After that game, all that was needed was a draw. Just a draw, at home against the Americans on “Red Day.” Just a draw...

I don’t have to tell you the rest of that story. But it would take another 16 years before Latapy and Dwight Yorke could complete their journey to a World Cup, this time with the Soca Warriors. Dennis Lawrence finally supplied the missing goal.

But that Warriors team is not the side I identify with. The end of that 1989 campaign made me a football cynic. That November 19 day when my life and the lives of the thousands were put at risk so that someone could squeeze every cent out of the occasion, something was lost for me as far as local football was concerned. It was like a love affair gone sour. But I have never lost affection for the football of the Strike Squad.

However, the story of the female Warriors has piqued my interest. They remind me of Gally’s side in that they have set a standard for those who come after to follow, regardless of the final outcome against Ecuador on December 2. And like the Strike Squad, they have captured people’s attention because of their unity.

The strength of character of those young women really must be admired.

Taken for granted, ignored largely over the years by the public and their administration, and kept together sometimes through the individual efforts of coaches like Marlon Charles, they have got this far largely on their own steam.

I can only conclude that it is the largeness of their ambition, the love of the game, sheer guts and the devotion of coaches like Charles and Jamaal Shabbazz and the standards that Norwegian Even Pellerud tried to establish that have got them to this point. Even West Indies cricketers could learn about sacrificing to succeed from these Warriors.

As the late Lancelot Layne voiced in the opening words at the top of this page: “Good am I but great are WE.”

So keep your good thing going Women Warriors.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2014, 05:18:13 AM »
What '89 have to do with the women's qualification campaign... Poor attempt to tie things in  :bs:

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA explains record women’s ticket prices for historic W/Cup contest
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »
TTFA explains record women’s ticket prices for historic W/Cup contest
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Football fans must pay a record admission fee for a local women’s match to be part of history on 2 December 2014 when the Trinidad and Tobago senior national women’s football team faces Ecuador in the second and final leg of a Canada 2015 Women’s World Cup Play Off from 6 pm at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Trinidad and Tobago held Ecuador to a goalless draw at 2,700 metres above sea level in Quito for the first leg on 8 November 2014 and now needs a win at home on December 2.

Trinidad and Tobago has never qualified for a FIFA women’s tournament before although the two island republic participated in the 2010 Women’s Under-17 World Cup as the host nation.

And the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), based on advice from its Local Organising Committee (LOC), has set the ticket prices at $200 (covered stands) and $100 (uncovered stands) for the return leg with children under-12 free in the uncovered section. The tickets are due to go on sale from November 17 at still undisclosed outlets.

The admission fee of $200 and $100 mirrors the price for Trinidad and Tobago’s vital 2006 World Cup qualifier against Mexico on 12 October 2005 when Stern John’s double got the “Soca Warriors” into a FIFA Play Off against Bahrain. Tickets for that historic match, which also featured icons Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy, were sold out.

The price for Trinidad and Tobago’s first leg clash with Bahrain in 2005 rose to $300 (covered) and $150 (uncovered) and there were over 5,000 fewer spectators for the contest in Port of Spain.

The women’s game has never previously commanded a fee near to either sum.

Four years ago, local fans paid $40 (covered) and $20 (uncovered) to watch Trinidad and Tobago’s three group matches at the Women’s Under-17 World Cup.

And tickets were priced at $20 when the Women Warriors began their World Cup campaign on Wednesday 20 August 2014 with a 10-0 rout of St Kitts and Nevis at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. Roughly 1,000 fans came out, then, to cheer on their women’s team.

There were just under 4,000 supporters for the women’s last Port of Spain outing in the Caribbean Cup final on Tuesday 26 August 2014, which was priced at $50.

But Phillips, who is a LOC member, believes that the heightened interest around the team and the importance of the fixture justifies the price spike.

“(The price) wasn’t arbitrarily made,” Phillips told Wired868. “It was talked about at length at a LOC meeting and everyone collectively felt that it was a good price point… The Caribbean Cup was three months ago and a lot has changed since then in terms of the knowledge of the women’s programme.

“It was also one of the first tournaments we had hosted… So you cannot compare the CFU tournament to a World Cup qualifier.”

Responses to the prices on the social media thus far have been muted but, generally, positive.

Phillips claimed that the revenue gained from the upcoming fixture would help further develop the women’s game.

“You cannot speak about raising the level of women’s football in one breath and then say it cannot demand a higher fee because that is the way it is always done,” said Phillips. “You have to look at it as a case by case situation. And this is a women’s team at the cusp of the World Cup and a very good team.”

But does the inflated women’s ticket prices, whether reasonable or not, run the risk of diminishing the volume of supporters for the crucial World Cup Play fixture?

Since most of Ecuador’s women players come from its coastal regions, Trinidad and Tobago’s temperature and humidity are not expected to create difficulties for “La Tricolor.” Apart from the ability, desire and preparation of the two teams, fan support represents the best chance of an advantage for the host nation.

In Quito, the Ecuador Football Federation (FEF) charged US$2 (TT$13) and US$5 (TT$32) for uncovered and covered stand tickets and US$10 for private boxes and was thrilled for a turnout of 17,500 patrons. Outside the Atahualapa Stadium, by means of context, it costs between US$5 and $10 for a meal at the mall.

However, Phillips dismissed any notion that the TTFA should mirror Ecuador’s approach in the first leg.

“That is Ecuador; Ecuador is not Trinidad and Tobago,” said the TTFA General Secretary. “We based our discussion based on feedback we got from the folks in Trinidad and Tobago. That was good and appropriate for Ecuador…

“When the tickets go on sale on Monday that is when the market will speak. But people are waiting to buy tickets and we already have pre-orders… So the overriding issue is the importance of the game and the level of excitement from the public.”

Phillips said the TTFA will pay match fees to the women’s team for the first time on December 2 while there is a bonus arrangement in place with the players should they qualify. He said the gate receipts will help to cover those costs.

“This is the first time the team has found itself in this position where they captured the hearts and minds of the nation,” said Phillips, when asked why there was a different pay scale for the upcoming game, “and it is the first time they are in the position where they are one win away from the World Cup. This is a big deal.”

In fact, the Women Warriors were one match away from the World Cup twice already when they played Costa Rica and then Mexico in last month’s 2014 CONCACAF Championship semi-finals and third place play off.

The FIFA Play Off is the last chance for the team, which overcome chaotic preparation with the dramatic technical staff alterations, visa issues that affected its pre-Caribbean Cup camp and, most famously, when the Warriors left for the pre-CONCACAF camp with just US$500 and no accompanying match officials.

Today, Phillips thinks the women’s squad, which is captained by Maylee Attin-Johnson and led by coach Randy Waldrum, can become the country’s second flagship team along with the senior men.

“This could be the launch pad game for the women’s team to be another flagship team for the national program,” he said.

Between 1,200 and 4,000 supporters turned out to watch the national men’s team play in the Caribbean Cup qualifying phase in Couva last month with prices set at $100 (covered) and $60 (uncovered).

The TTFA will soon know whether the women’s team, which is contesting a World Cup place rather than a Caribbean Cup crown, can surpass that level of interest. And whether the football body’s pricing of the upcoming contest is fair.

“We believe a crowd of 12,000 to 15,000 people will be a success, based upon past audiences,” said Phillips. “We would be happy with that amount going into the match. But we do believe this game has real potential to be a sell-out.”

The Hasely Crawford holds roughly 6,000 patrons in the covered stands and 16,000 in uncovered. If 4,000 covered tickets are sold and 8,000 uncovered, the TTFA will raise $1.6 million from the decisive December 2 affair.

Theoretically, if tickets were sold a $100 and $50 and 20,000 patrons (6,000 covered and 14,000 uncovered) turned up; the TTFA could raise $1.3 million, which would represent a $300,000 loss but with a near full stadium.

Of course, there is no proof that the ticket price would be the decisive factor in whether fans come out to the Tuesday evening contest.

The TTFA and the national women’s team are counting on supporters to turn up in their numbers on December 2 to roar them into the history books as the first Caribbean team to qualify for a FIFA Women’s World Cup.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:00:31 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: TTFA explains record women’s ticket prices for historic W/Cup contest
« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2014, 04:32:05 PM »
Very good price.

Hope the stadium is sold out.

1]; } ?>