March 28, 2024, 05:10:44 AM

Author Topic: Women Warriors Thread  (Read 129003 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UB's Laura Dougall earns call to Trinidad & Tobago National Team
« Reply #510 on: July 03, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »
UB's Laura Dougall earns call to Trinidad & Tobago National Team
By Ben Tsujimoto (The Buffalo News)

Laura Dougall has never been to Trinidad, but the Caribbean nation has presented her with the opportunity of a lifetime.

The starting goalkeeper for the University at Buffalo women's soccer team has been recalled by new Trinidad & Tobago women's national team head coach Carolina Morace for a training camp that begins July 10. The Women Soca Warriors are expected to train for roughly 10 days before traveling to Margarita Island to face Venezuela on July 20 and 23.

As United States Soccer fans have seen countless times - from Jermaine Jones to Darlington Nagbe to Fabian Johnson - a soccer player need not be born in a country to represent it on the international stage. Because of her father's background, Dougall is eligible to compete for T&T while retaining her eligibility to play her senior season for the Bulls this fall.

"It's a mix of excitement and nerves," said Dougall, in an email, after receiving the T&T invite. "I can hardly believe I am actually going to potentially play on an international team."

Although she's already set the UB record for career shutouts (27) long before her senior season, Dougall isn't a shoo-in for the roster of 18 players that Morace will pick for the friendlies; performance in training will determine the list of traveling players to Venezuela from a larger pool, many coming from United States colleges.

"I know there will be an adjustment period trying to get to know everyone and adapt to new coaching styles and routines," Dougall added. "It can be challenging and nerve wracking but hopefully I will make some new friends and learn the ropes from the more experienced players."

HOW IT'S POSSIBLE

Dougall's father, Steve, lived in Trinidad until age 6 before moving to Jamaica when his father's job transferred, then to Mississauga, Ont., in the middle of winter. Many of the Dougalls' Trini relatives had already made the jump to Canada. Steve and his wife, Terri, had Laura in July 1996 in Pickering, Ont.

While she's never visited Trinidad until this training camp, Dougall isn't a novice when it comes to the Caribbean culture, thanks to the influence of her Trini grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

"Family dinners consisted of macaroni pie, callaloo (a leafy green, often sauteed) and crab, stewed chicken, pigeon peas and rice when at my Granny and Grandpa Dougall's [house]," Laura remembers. "Many of my friends who met my Trinidad relatives find the accent harder to understand, but I have grown up with it all my life so hopefully that helps [this summer]."

Easing the transition will be a few remaining relatives on the island of Trinidad, including family in Port of Spain, roughly a 20-minute drive from Hasely Crawford Stadium, T&T's regular training grounds.

CARIBBEAN CONNECTION

While it's one thing for Dougall to be eligible to play for Trinidad & Tobago, it's entirely another to be invited into the national team camp.

The crucial connection came through her goalkeeping coach, Jeff Sanderson, who knew of Dougall's family history and boasted a strong Trinidadian soccer network of his own.

Sanderson corresponded with a Trinidad & Tobago scout, who was eager to set up a training session in March. One problem: Dougall had a long-planned backpacking trip through Europe - France, Switzerland and Italy - slated for the same time window.

Fortunately - thanks to the flexibility of the T&T contact - the UB goalkeeper was offered a reschedule for June 3 in Toronto, where her workout would be videotaped and forwarded to the T&T staff.

"A few days later the manager contacted me and said, 'You got a very positive review,' and 'the next stop is to get you here,' Dougall recounts. "Within 30 minutes I was sent the July plans for the women's national team."

The positive review will not come as shocking to Bulls fans; Dougall has stood tall in her three years in Amherst. Her breakout freshman campaign - which saw UB win the Mid-American Conference championship and book a trip to the NCAA Tournament for the first time - was rewarded with the MAC Freshman of the Year award and a spot on the all-conference first team.

Although she's been left off the All-MAC squads the last two years, Dougall's career statistics - 59 starts, .69 goals against average, 32 wins and 259 saves, all with one year left - have her positioned to go down as one of the best in UB history.

DOUGALL'S EXPECTATIONS

Growing up in Ontario and playing in some bitterly cold matches during the fall seasons at UB, Dougall is accustomed to one extreme temperature. Bear in mind that playing in the cold is considerably worse for goalkeepers, who don't move at the rate of the other field players.

"During the winter sessions [in Ontario] we would sometimes have to shovel snow off the field before training," Dougall said. "I am pretty sure I won’t have to be doing that in Trinidad!"

In Trinidad, July temperatures hover in the high 80s with humidity typically around 70 percent. Even the superbly conditioned United States women's national team finds the heavy hair and unrelenting heat a challenge during away matches in Trinidad.

"While we do play in the summer here in [Canada and Buffalo], Trinidad is much closer to the equator so I have to wonder what it will be like to play there in July," Dougall mused.

With her new head coach's emphasis on fitness, the goalkeeper will soon learn a thing or two about the elements.

MORACE MEMORIES

After her hiring in December 2016, Italian goal-scoring legend and former Canada women's national team head coach Carolina Morace began to put her imprint on the Women Soca Warriors the following month.

It's hard to top Morace's playing career. She's one of only 15 women's soccer players to score more than 100 goals in international competition. The striker competed for her country, beginning at age 15, for two decades.

Her Players Tribune post from February 2017 is an enlightening look into her mindset - both as a player and a manager. Morace is perhaps best known, though, for being the first women to coach a professional men's team - Viterbese of Italy's Serie C, in 1999 - even though she spent just two matches at the helm before resigning.

For Dougall, July 10 will not be the first time she's met Morace.

"In 2008, when I was playing for the Pickering Soccer Club, Coach Morace attended a soccer camp that I was participating in," Dougall remembers. "She talked to all the girls and led a few drills. I have an autographed picture from her. I am sure she doesn't remember me but I do remember her. I was pretty young but excited to meet one of the best women soccer players in the world. I look forward to meeting her again."

The circumstances are different 10 years later. After a bitter conclusion to her time with the Canadian women's squad, Morace is hopeful T&T can reach its first World Cup in 2019. Armed with a fresh start, she's presently tasked with determining the best players to represent a country with which she's relatively unfamiliar.

The playing style she instills - modeled after Barcelona and Bayern, predicated both on supreme fitness and possession - will test Dougall's ability with her feet, especially her consistency in distributing out of the back.

WHAT'S AHEAD FOR T&T

Trinidad & Tobago have intentionally broadened their talent pool in an attempt to shine at the 2018 Caribbean Cup, the qualifying tournament for the 2018 Women's CONCACAF Championship, formerly known as the Gold Cup.

The top three finishers in the CONCACAF Championship will represent the confederation at the 2019 World Cup in France, while the fourth-place side competes in a play-in game against the No. 3 finisher in CONMEBOL (South America) for a World Cup berth.

The Women Soca Warriors have never qualified for a World Cup despite attempts every four years since 1991, although the Caribbean nation's fourth-place finish at the 2014 Gold Cup - and ensuing heartbreaking 1-0 loss at the tail end of the two-legged playoff against Ecuador (CONMEBOL third-place) - was accompanied by a touching story of generosity.

The Trinidad & Tobago Football Association runs a website with updates on the Women Soca Warriors' preparations for friendlies and tournaments, as well as interviews with players. It's worth keeping an eye on over the next month for updates.

But in the meantime, Morace will call upon uncapped players like Dougall to adjust to an unfamiliar environment and improve the quality of the country's football.

For the UB goalkeeper, the trip is a chance to make her mark on international football while exploring the roots of her family history.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Women Warriors Thread
« Reply #511 on: July 16, 2017, 03:41:41 AM »
Charlotte women’s team rejoice on Trinidad trip.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

United States college player Callie McKinney has described a recent trip to T&T with the Charlotte Lady Eagles team as one of the best experiences of her life so far.

Mckinney arrived here in late May with Eagles, a team made of up girls from various universities that come together to grow in their faith with Christ while playing football in a competitive environment to get better at their game.

The Lady Eagles mission is to glorify God and see lives transformed by communicating the message of Jesus Christ through the global environment of soccer. The vision of the Lady Eagles is generating teams that cultivate influential coaches and players who inspire people to flourish in and for Christ wherever they are planted.

“We went on this trip to spread the word of God by using soccer as our platform to reach the youth of Trinidad and anyone else who was around to witness. While doing so we also played games against local teams and then against the Under-20 Trinidad national team and the full senior Trinidad national team,” McKinney wrote.

The Eagles linked up with the Step by Step women’s team and also played two training games against the T&T senior and U-20 women’s team in which they were victorious. They also took part in four coaching clinics.

“Concluding the trip, I can’t wait to see the way God has used each and every one of my teammates and myself to reach various groups of kids we were in contact with. It’s going to be amazing to see the fruits of our impact on the kids. The trip to Trinidad changed my perspective, furthered my growth as a player and with my walk with Christ.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 16, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »
So Morace gone now. Well yes!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 16, 2017, 03:41:40 PM »
wow the program falling part
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #515 on: July 19, 2017, 01:43:21 AM »
Update on Women’s Football Programme.
TTFA Media

Back to the Future

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association today wishes to confirm that Miss Carolina Morace and Miss Nicola Williams have terminated their contracts with the TTFA.

No further details will be given at this time since we are under advisement from our attorneys in this regard.  The TTFA however wants to go on record and state that every attempt was made (without their cooperation) to resolve whatever issues that may have appeared in the opinion of Miss Morace and Miss Williams that contributed to their departure.

The TTFA remains committed to the its vision and continuation of the Women’s programme with a view of qualification to the FIFA Women’s World Cup in France 2019 along with the qualification of the Women’s Under 17 Team to the CONCACAF Under 17 Women’s Championship in 2018 and subsequently the next FIFA Under 17 Women’s World Cup in Colombia in 2019; and the Under 20 Women’s World Cup for which the Concacaf Final Round will be staged in Trinidad and Tobago in 2018.

To this end, consistent with the contract terms of his engagement with the TTFA (Head of Programmes) the Board of the Association has appointed Mr Jamaal Shabazz to oversee the Women’s programme with immediate effect and he will take charge  of the Senior Women’s programme from tomorrow as well as the Under 20 Women’s programme. Mr Shabazz  will also oversee the Under 17 Women’s programme with the assistance of coaches Joanne Daniel and Desiree Sergeant who were understudies to Miss Morace and Miss Williams.

The TTFA will appoint a full time head coach of the Under 17 Team immediately following the Caribbean First Round of qualifiers to be played in Trinidad in August.

Comments from Jamaal Shabazz

“It unbelievable that at this stage in my life I will be back in the women’s game. Together with the current senior team we gave our lives for this programme. The opportunity is there for us to complete a journey which we started together in 2000. We have a chance to continue to work hard for our country and ensure that this crop finishes their careers on a high note and that women’s football in our country reaches a milestone ”

Things to know about Jamaal Shabazz

From 1994 to 2010 he held various positions as Head of the TTFA’s Women’s Programme and coaches of the different national teams.

Together with Dr Iva Gloudon, Shabazz sent 35 female players on soccer scholarships in the United States, playing a key role in the development of players National Team players such as Tasha St Louis, Maylee Attin Johnson, Kennya Cordner and Ahkeela Mollon through the ranks of T&T National Teams.

Shabazz, age 53, played an integral role in establishing a development programme that produced most of the current Senior Women’s Team players when they were Under 15 players dating back to 2000.

He held the position as Head Coach of the Guyana Senior Men’s Team in three different stints including the 2014 World Cup campaign during which time he guided Guyana to victory over Trinidad and Tobago, eliminating T&T from the qualification race, while taking Guyana to the CONCACAF Semi-Final round.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #516 on: July 22, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
Isa recommended Shabazz and Fevrier for coaching jobs; technical committee still non-functional.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Justin Latapy-George has confirmed that the recent coaching appointments by the local body were made after recommendations from technical director Muhammad Isa and not the technical committee.

Yesterday, the TTFA announced  that Jamaal Shabazz will replace Italian Carolina Morace as the head of the women’s programme and will also serve as head coach of the Women’s National Senior and Under-20 Team and oversee the Under-17 Team—although it subsequently emerged that he could end up with only the Women’s Senior and Under-20 Team jobs.

And, last month, Stuart Charles-Fevrier was appointed as head of the TTFA’s Elite Development Programme with Leonson Lewis and Clyde Leon as assistants.

Fevrier, Lewis and Leon are all current employees at W Connection—which is owned by TTFA president David John-Williams—while Shabazz helped campaign for the current local football president at the last TTFA and Caribbean Football Union (CFU) elections.

The recent hirings have caused consternation within the local football fraternity, with at least two coaches, including former National Under-20 coach Derek King, suggesting that they felt that at present non-Connection coaches were not given a fair chance to hold national portfolios .

King, the current North East Stars head coach, is the last national men’s coach to secure a regional title, having led the Under-20 Team to the 2014 Caribbean Championship crown.

Latapy-George explained that, at least in terms of the aforementioned positions, the recommendations came from the Isa-headed technical department. However, according to the general secretary, the TTFA Board of Directors have agreed on the members to make up a new technical committee and their names are expected to be announced soon.

The current TTFA board of directors comprises David John-Williams (president), Joanne Salazar, Ewing Davis and Allan Warner (vice-presidents), James Toussaint (Central FA), Sherwyn Dyer (Eastern Counties Football Union), Karanjabari Williams (Northern FA), Richard Quan Chan (Southern FA), Anthony Moore (Tobago FA), Joseph Taylor (Trinidad and Tobago Football Referees Association), Sharon O’Brien (Women’s League Football), Wayne Cunningham (Eastern FA) and Sam Phillip (TT Pro League).

Latapy-George declined comment on if and when the TTFA intended to respond to 42 questions from Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago (VFOTT) president Selby Browne on the current operations of the football body.

Ironically, the last technical committee collapsed after its recommendation that Fevrier replace Belgian Tom Saintfiet as Soca Warriors head coach was overruled. Instead, the Board opted to give the position to current coach Dennis Lawrence.

Then technical committee chairman Dexter Skeene, vice-chairman Dr Alvin Henderson and member Errol Lovell all resigned before Lawrence was unveiled.

Lawrence subsequently selected Fevrier as his assistant coach and, at present, the former St Lucia international holds three substantial portfolios as National Senior Team assistant coach, W Connection head coach and head of the Elite Youth Development Programme (which, it appears, is to operate as a National Under-13 Team).

Up until this weekend, Shabazz also held two major posts as Trinidad and Tobago National Youth Football Co-ordinator and Morvant Caledonia United head coach.

So far, Shabazz has suggested that he is almost certain to give up his role on the Elite Youth Development Programme although he expects to remain as Morvant Caledonia coach—once he is able to handle the two jobs.

I can provide stability! Shabazz reopens door to Maylee, Mollon and Cordner; but wants to keep Caledonia job

New Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team and Under-20 Team head coach Jamaal Shabazz believes he is the right man to steady the ship as the Women Soca Warriors attempt to recover from the abrupt departure of Italian head coach Carolina Morace and her three assistants.

Morace and assistant Nicola Williams handed in their resignations last Friday and Morace, who has a law degree, told Wired868 that the most accurate description of what happened is to say that “the contract [is] terminated for just cause.”

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), which is headed by president David John-Williams, is already bracing for legal action and the value of the part of the football body’s contract with the foreign coaches which is still unpaid is estimated at TT$4.3 million (US$648,000).

But even as the TTFA braces for a fresh lawsuit—and the local body is already dealing with at least a half-dozen cases—the Women Warriors still have a programme to maintain and three World Cup qualifying campaigns to contest at Senior, Under-20 and Under-17 level.

Shabazz, a former Trinidad and Tobago Women’s Senior Team coach as well as head coach for the Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana Men’s National Teams, backs himself to make a success of the current challenge.

“I think the programme right now needs some stability and, given what they have asked of me, I can provide stability,” Shabazz told Wired868. “Most of these girls I know as kids and saw them grow into womanhood. I have great respect for them and I think there is mutual respect.”

Shabazz spent his first day on the job by erasing one of the more controversial aspects of Morace’s tenure—the suspension of former captain Maylee Attin-Johnson and star attacker Kennya “Yaya” Cordner and the self-imposed exile of ex-Europe-based winger Ahkeela Mollon.

Morace said Attin-Johnson and Cordner were both suspended for violating team rules; Shabazz will overturn that decision.

“Today, I am going to meet with Ahkeela Mollon and Maylee Attin-Johnson and talk to Kennya Cordner on Skype to see how we can mend some broken fences,” said Shabazz, who claimed he had previously kept his distance from the issue. “There were players on the Under-20 Team and the Senior Team who are not in the programme right now and I intend to meet with everybody, hear everybody and try to start with a clean slate.”

Ironically, Shabazz took credit for the TTFA’s decision to hire Morace in the first place although he admitted that their relationship soured during her time in Trinidad.

“I was the person that took her resume to David John-Williams—myself and [team manager] Jinelle James—as co-ordinator of programmes for the TTFA at the time,” said Shabazz. “I felt the women’s programme needed a high-profile female with a high level of competency. [But] at some point in time, I fell out of favour with her.

“I have the utmost respect for her and the work she tried to put in in the last six months. […] I have nothing bad to say for her and I tried to keep out of her way because I understood how she wanted to deal with matters.”

Shabazz withdrew from the women’s programme in 2011 and said then the team needed fresh ideas. And he repeatedly insisted that he was not interested in a coaching position under the current football administration.

So what has changed?

The Morvant Caledonia United head coach said his time on the bench in the Pro League this season stirred his competitive juices while the resources provided for the women’s programme under Morace also caught his attention.

“Given the resources that I know were made available to the last technical staff, I am confident we can do this,” said Shabazz. “Because this bunch of girls used to sleep on the ground in the Larry Gomes Stadium when we had double sessions [and] they never got friendly matches and contracts and stipends.

“With all these things in play, I think the onus is now on us to step up to the plate and give it our best possible shot.”

Shabazz said he intends to copy the structure of the coaching set-up under Morace and currently used by men’s coach Dennis Lawrence, which, he suggested, makes better use of assistant coaches than has always been the case at local level.

“We are going to demonstrate, based on the example of Dennis Lawrence and his staff, that men and women can work together for the benefit of the programme,” said Shabazz, “because we see the master come here with an entourage and they operate under leadership and loyalty. I have been a slave for many, many centuries and now I have become a free man, I understand how to make it work; I feel even better than the master.

“When you look at how Ms Morace ran it, […] I feel we can replicate that working together and try to get the results.”

Shabazz admitted that he had a personal relationship with the current TTFA president but dismissed any suggestion of favouritism, insistingd that his CV spoke for itself.

“If a man or woman could look at my track record and think [that my appointment] is a (case of a) job for the boys, then I think that there is nothing I can do or say in my own defence,” said Shabazz. “[…] Yes, I supported John-Williams in the [TTFA] elections and I ask the question: did I commit a sin? Who did Keith Look Loy support in the election? Who did other people support?

“Election is one facet of the football dynamics [and right now] I am concerned with what happens on the field.”

Then Guyana National Senior Team coach Jamaal Shabazz is at his side in full TTFA gear.
At present, Shabazz holds an armful of jobs as, apart from being coach of two national women’s teams, he is also the TTFA Youth Football Co-ordinator and Morvant Caledonia United head coach.

He suggested he was likely to give up the Youth Football Coordinator post but would continue to run the Morvant Caledonia team.

“In terms of Morvant Caledonia, I see no conflict there at all,” Shabazz told Wired868. “It has always been a mentoring with [assistant coach] Abdallah Phillips and that will continue… I did those jobs and more when some of my critics were in charge of the technical aspect of Trinidad and Tobago’s football. But I do not know if it was because Jack Warner was in charge [but] not a dog barked then.”

Shabazz tried to explain how the responsibilities of the Elite Development Programme, which is funded to the tune of TT$8 million by NLCB, are shared between technical director Muhammad Isa, National Senior Team assistant coach and W Connection head coach Stuart Charles-Février and himself.

It means that instead of the TTFA hiring one person to oversee the programme, they have hired several persons who juggle duties between the Elite Youth Programme and other jobs within the football body or at their respective clubs.

Charles-Février and his assistant coaches Leonson Lewis and Clyde Leon are all employees at the W Connection football club, which is owned by John-Williams.

Shabazz insisted that the managerial structure of the Elite programme was a practical one.

“Stuart Charles was selected by the Board to be the head coach,” said Shabazz. “My role was to supervise the programme and make sure the zones were training and so on. I work alongside Isa, who focuses more on grassroots and coach education and supervising the national teams in training.

“The Elite Programme was a specific programme that needed specific attention… [With] the magnitude of the work, I think having more coaches is better rather than less.”

For the immediate future, Shabazz will juggle his time between two national teams and his Pro League outfit. But he is confident about what he can bring to the Women Warriors and is anxious to resume professional relations with the likes of Tasha St Louis, Karyn Forbes, Dernelle Mascall and Attin-Johnson, whom he credited for their exceptional understanding of the game.

“What is needed is someone who can come in and get these girls working again and focusing on football and giving of their best for the country,” said Shabazz, “and I am not just talking about players but staff too. There are three things we need to juggle here: individual needs, needs of the group and the mission and what it requires.

“We need to be able to juggle the three. I feel with the little I know about management and the Senior Women’s team, I am very confident that we can do this.”

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 22, 2017, 12:45:15 AM »
how de hell that terrorist who can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag keep getting national team jobs?

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 22, 2017, 09:11:02 AM »
Shabaaz milking David John Williams.

A terrorist controlling T&T football.

Only in T&T, in the US, this man would have been serving a lifetime all now.

Imagine somebody shoot up the Prime Minister of a country and walking free like a bird today.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:13:06 AM by Sando »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #519 on: July 23, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
Shade stays confident with Shabazz’s return.
TTFA

National Senior Women’s Team player Mariah Shade is backing newly installed head of Women’s Programme Jamaal Shabazz to keep the Senior Team on track in their quest for qualification for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.

Shade has been part of the senior team pool that worked with now former senior women’s team head coach Carolina Morace but she will renew acquaintances with Shabazz, the first coach she worked under upon her entry into the national programme as a 13-year-old.

“It was very heartbreaking to say the least after hearing that coach Carolina Morace and assistant coach Nicola Williams was leaving us,” Shade admitted on Sunday. “It was very sudden but all I can say is that I know God is in control and I trust his will for us as a team.

“Jamaal was one who was very instrumental in bringing coach Carolina and her assistant Nicola here so because of this, I have great confidence that his mind and heart is in the right place and he indeed has a great plan for the future of this team,” Shade told TTFA Media.

The 25-year-old  looked back on her early days as a national team player, a period which she says allowed her to develop under Shabazz.

“I know Coach Jamaal very well. I joined the national programme when I was thirteen and was among the few players in my generation like Karyn Forbes and Rhea Belgrave who started playing with the senior team at first before playing with the youth teams. I remember being in several Senior and Under 20 camps in the US, Caribbean and home, and playing in several CFU and CONCACAF Qualifiers under Jamaal as head coach.

“He has always been a very serious yet no nonsense person who appreciates hard work. I was a youth on both teams and so it was a different atmosphere for me because I was learning and growing and developing as a very young player,” she continued.

“Though he has always been around women’s football, this is the first time as an adult that I would be coached by Jamaal and I feel very positive as we move forward in our preparations. My focus has always been giving my best in training so the game becomes easier and I will continue to by God’s Grace,” Shade stated.

The former France-based pro  who now plays for Petrotrin in the TT Women’s League (WOLF) believes that Shabazz will fit right back into the programme because of his past alliance.

“One very positive thing about Jamaal being head coach of the Senior team is the fact that he has known most, if not all of us since we were in our early teens and at some point or another most of us played under him. He knows our ability and has seen our development as players and commitment to the program throughout the years, so he knows what he has to work with.

“I’m expecting that this will make the transition easier and faster so we can get back on track with our preparations for France 2019,” Shade concluded.

The Caribbean phase of the qualifiers is carded to start next year towards the CONCACAF final stage and Shabazz will resume the training sessions within the next few days.

Mariah is set to launch her first book ,Tunnel Vision – A Set Apart Life on August 5th, 2017 at the Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards. The book is based on a young Christian’s survival guide for spiritual success, empowerment and blessing.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:32:55 PM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 23, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »
What I would like to know is why has Mariah not continued in Europe? What occurred in France? Why not somewhere else on the continent?

Not expecting players to make negative public comments about Shabazz.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #521 on: July 30, 2017, 01:59:51 AM »
Shade launches new book to help youths.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

National Women’s footballer Mariah Shade will launch a new career away from the field of sport next weekend.

The former France-based player who now lines up for Petrotrin in the Women’s League, has written a book which is geared towards helping young people achieve success in their personal relationship with GOD and to encourage them to stand strong in their faith in a time where many are falling away. “There is still hope because Jesus is alive,” she said.

“I always say, football is one aspect of my life, but it is not my life. I am a young woman after God’s own heart and my love for God is a passion that football can never compete with,” she added.

“The book, titled Tunnel Vision: A Set Apart Life, was born about one year ago, coming out of a place of real concern for young people especially young Christians,” she added.

The official launch takes place on August 5, at 3pm, at the Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards, (Opposite the Center of Excellence, Macoya.) The book will also be available on Amazon, both Paperback and Kindle, on the publisher’s website (Trinity Hills Publishing) and on Barnes and Noble’s Online Store.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #522 on: March 01, 2018, 09:14:25 AM »
Senior Women to play pair of friendlies versus Panama in March.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Women’s Team will open their 2018 account with a pair of International Friendlies against Panama’s Senior Women’s Team on March 22nd and 24th.

The opening match will be played at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva from 6:30pm and two days later both teams will meet again at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella from 4:00pm.

This will be the first set of games for the hosts this year as they prepare for upcoming CONCACAF Caribbean Women’s Senior World Cup qualifying action which commences in May for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France. Details on the qualifying campaign will be disclosed in due course.

The team has been in training for well over a year with regular training sessions taking place involving home-based players who are under retainer contracts with the TTFA.

Team manager Jinelle James said the two matches were highly welcomed as the squad, under captain Tasha St Louis, is craving the opportunity to have international match practice.

“The ladies have been in training for practically a year now and the last matches we played were against Venezuela under Carolina Morace. They’re saying finally we have this chance now to take the field for international football. There is a real buzz in the squad about this at the moment,” James told TTFA Media on Wednesday.

“The team has been working hard and getting stronger and this is a great opportunity for us to see where we are at tactically and in terms of fitness. We are going into the upcoming tournament in May as the number one team in the Caribbean from the 2014 Campaign. This definitely points to the fact that we have no intentions of taking any phase of this competition lightly,” James added.

Skipper St Louis is expecting the two games against Panama to be decent exercises for the T&T team.

“I think it’s good that we are getting the opportunity to play these two games and it isn’t just not any ordinary games but against a developing team such as Panama which we’ve not played before. It should be a good test and a good opportunity to see what this other Concacaf opponent has to offer before the qualification begins later this year,” St Louis said.

“I think it’s also good for the coach o see players in the new system that we’ve been practising and new players under him for the first time. It means a lot for the more senior players like me and also the younger ones that started training after the Under 20 Tournament,” she added.

The current squad is in training under head coach Jamaal Shabazz with technical director Anton Corneal also providing his guidance in the preparations.

The Senior Men’s team will also be in action around a similar period as they travel to face Guadeloupe on March 20th followed by another friendly away to Martinique on March 23rd.  Over the past few days, the TTFA also secured two matches in Guadeloupe for the National Men’s Under 20 Team in May.

Ticket information for the two matches in March, T&T versus Panama, will be announced in due course.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #523 on: March 12, 2018, 01:49:51 AM »
Russell not giving up on World Cup dream.
T&T Newsday Reports.

NATIONAL Women’s football team defender Ayanna Russell is among the current pool of players in training under coach Jamaal Shabazz ahead of the start of forthcoming CONCACAF Women’s World Cup qualification in May.

Details on the opening phase are set to be announced shortly by CONCACAF but the local pool has two matches against Panama Women’s team to look forward on March 22 and 24 at the Ato Boldon Stadium and Manny Ramjohn Stadium respectively.

“Everyone is excited to play these two games. We have some of the youngsters integrated into the bunch now so it’s going to be a very exciting and interesting experience for us,” Russell said.

“These games will help a lot. You cannot really mimic an international friendly. Yes you can play against local teams and yes that is playing time and match fitness but being able to play international friendlies is a good preparation with even something such as just hearing the FIFA anthem played before the game. It will be a good evaluation for us,” Russell said.

Russell spoke highly of the TTFA’s efforts to keep the local squad together with the introduction of the monthly retainer contracts.

“Definitely the biggest thing is being able to contract the players and have them full time. In the past it’s been crazy because we usually would come together three weeks or a month before a tournament. Now we have double sessions twice a week and training almost everyday which is definitely helping now with the senior team,” she added.

“We actually have a lot of players from the last squad so we still have the core together. We are missing a few but some of the foreign-based will come for the games in March. For the most part we have a very strong pool and with the young ones coming up it’s matter of getting them up to a good standard so going into the qualification phase we can have at least 25-30 good players in the squad,” Russell stated.

Russell attended University of Alabama, Birmingham in 2008 an Wayland University in 2010 where she was eventually enrolled as an assistant coach. She was part of the squad that narrowly missed out on the 2015 Women’s World Cup with the last match defeat to Ecuador. Russell said that the dream of qualifying for a World Cup is still very strong among the surviving members of that squad who are still in the mix.

“Preparations have been good at the moment. That dream still exists very strongly in me and and among the other girls. It is a still a possibility. We are going to work ten times harder than we did last time and do everything we didn’t do in 2014.

“That experience (2014) is going to have a huge impact. I still can’t get over December 2nd because I knew to myself it was ours then but I know that nothing happens before its time. This time around, not that we didn’t work hard four years ago but now we will take care of everything mentally, physically, socially… everything that we need to do to ensure that we have that cohesion on the field and realise that dream this time, “ Russell added.

The 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup will be the eighth edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup, the quadrennial international women’s football championship contested by the national teams of the member associations of FIFA between June 7 and July 7 2019.

In March 2015, France won the right to host the event; the first time the country will host the tournament, and the third time Europe will. Matches are planned for eleven cities across France. The current format of the tournament is 24 competing teams, including the host nation. The defending champions are the United States.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 12, 2018, 06:46:34 PM »
WATCH: Ayana Russell dreams of qualification for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup in France.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rFLCw4tKZ4g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rFLCw4tKZ4g</a>

WATCH: Mariah Shade talks about the Women’s Senior Team’s preparation for a pair of International Friendlies against Panama

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7V5qGSJaXPU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7V5qGSJaXPU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 12, 2018, 07:06:49 PM »
WATCH: 17-year-old Kedie Johnson talks about her desire to become a professional footballer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/msKXFXj5LAE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/msKXFXj5LAE</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 13, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
Natasha Baptiste of Aston Villa women's team
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 14, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »
Congratulations to Amaya Ellis on signing to play at the University of Illinois.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
St. Louis to captain Trinidad and Tobago Women in friendlies versus Panama
« Reply #528 on: March 16, 2018, 01:47:49 PM »
St. Louis to captain Trinidad and Tobago Women in friendlies versus Panama
TTFA Media

Midfielder Tasha St Louis will captain an 18-player Trinidad and Tobago Senior Women’s Team in international action next week in two friendlies against Panama’s Senior Women’s Team.

Tickets will cost $20 per match and will be available on sale at the venue on matchdays. The first game at the TTFA Home of Football venue in Couva kicks off at 6:30pm on Thursday March 22nd. The same will apply for the second friendly between the two teams at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella from 4pm on Saturday March 24th.

These matches will serve as warm ups for the National team as they prepare for CFU Cup action in April and the start of the CONCACAF Caribbean World Cup qualifiers in May towards the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.

Head Coach Jamaal Shabazz has called an 18-player squad for the two games which includes a few overseas-based players including US-based goalkeeper Nicolette Craig, Shanelle Arjoon of West Texas A&M University, forward Andrea Young of Canadian club Ottawa Fury, US-based defender Jenelle Cunningham and midfielder Naomie Guerra of William Carey University. Tasha St Louis is the team captain

Canadian-based defender Arin King was not considered due to a knee injury while goalkeeper Kimika Forbes has been ruled out until June at least, according to team manager Jinelle James, after sustaining an ankle injury while on duty with her Colombian club Independiente Santa Fe.

One of the current home-based players,Mariah Shade, who has played professionally in France, said the local team is eagerly anticipating the upcoming contests.

“We are very much excited and eagerly awaiting these two games. We have been hard at training and now it’s just an opportunity to implement what we’ve been working on with our new coach Jamaal Shabazz,” Shade told TTFA Media.

“We know that it’s important for us to come out and put on a good show in preparation for our tournament coming up.

“We have a lot of players who were left heartbroken in our last qualifying campaign so we know this is another opportunity for us to come together once again and work hard to achieve this goal of qualifying for a World Cup and therefore it’s very important for us.

“We’ve been putting in a lot of work and we’ve been getting better with a consistent training programme over the past few months. It’s a younger team this time with a few of the experienced players involved still from the previous campaign so it’s a chance for us to mesh and continue building that chemistry in these two games against Panama.

“We will like for the fans to continue their support and come out and back us from early because our intention is to go all the way in the qualifications and we will really appreciate every bit of support we can get,” Shade added.

T&T Squad

Goalkeepers
Nicolette Craig (Essex County College), Tenesha Palmer (St Ann’s Rangers)

Defenders
Patrice Superville (QPCC), Jonelle Cato (Trincity Nationals), Anastasia Prescott (QPCC), Jenelle Cunningham (Real Dimension), Ayana Russell (QPCC), Natisha John (Trincity Nationals)

Midfielders
Tasha St Louis (Real Dimension), Karyn Forbes (Real Dimension), Janine Francois (Real Dimension), Naomie Guerra (William Carey University), Shanelle Arjoon (West Texas A&M), Kedie Johnson (St Augustine), Shenieka Paul (Petrotrin),

Forwards
Mariah Shade (Petrotrin), Natasha St Louis (St Ann’s Rangers), Andrea Young (Ottawa Fury)

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2018, 03:39:36 PM »
Arin King has retired or unlisted or hurt ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
Canadian-based defender Arin King was not considered due to a knee injury while goalkeeper Kimika Forbes has been ruled out until June at least, according to team manager Jinelle James, after sustaining an ankle injury while on duty with her Colombian club Independiente Santa Fe.

Re: the thin goalkeeper situation, whatever happened to Rebecca Almandoz?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:45:59 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »

Lawrence Technological University

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2018, 06:10:15 PM »

Lawrence Technological University

wha happen to de Buffalo keeper?  she blank dem?

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 16, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »

Re: the thin goalkeeper situation, whatever yhappened to Rebecca Almandoz?
thanks..missed that paragraph..
The Debesette sisters are also on the West texas team, unavailable ?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:54:41 PM by maxg »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 17, 2018, 07:43:57 AM »

Does de TTFA know about this girl?

Makela Davidson - 2017 Women's Soccer - Howard University

#5 Makela Davidson

Position: Forward
Height: 5-7
Class: Junior
Hometown: Hyattsville, MD
Prev School: @player_prevschool@

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 17, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »

Does de TTFA know about this girl?

Makela Davidson - 2017 Women's Soccer - Howard University

#5 Makela Davidson

Position: Forward
Height: 5-7
Class: Junior
Hometown: Hyattsville, MD
Prev School: @player_prevschool@

If you have to ask then probably no

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 17, 2018, 05:03:23 PM »
I think Makela had trials with lower age groups, a couple years ago. They should know about her. I don't know if they remember her. She was injured and has fully recuperated. I really don't know what is the situation with Makela and the TTFA.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Panama Women arrive for friendlies on Tuesday
« Reply #537 on: March 19, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
Panama Women arrive for friendlies on Tuesday
ttfootball.org

Panama’s Senior Women’s Team will arrive in Port of Spain on Tuesday evening ahead of two international warm up matches against Trinidad and Tobago at the Ato Boldon Stadium from 6:30pm on Thursday and at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium on Saturday from 4pm.

Panama are preparing for upcoming France 2019 World Cup qualifying action, just as Trinidad and Tobago and both teams will be entering their first bit of international action for the 2018 calendar. Currently an 18-player squad is in training under head coach Jamaal Shabazz and is captained by veteran Tasha St Louis.

With the two matches on the cards,  TTFA technical director Anton Corneal is optimistic that the T&T team will grab these two friendlies and use it their benefit.

“I think it’s two very good friendlies at this time of the preparation. We were waiting on two good games and they are in front of us now. Both teams are in the midst of preparations for their qualifying matches and the Panama team is also looking forward to these matches which I think shows that we can expect two very competitive games,” Corneal told TTFA Media.

“Panama from all accounts have advanced their programmes in tremendous fashion. Their men’s team have qualified for the Russia 2018 World Cup and now they women’s programme is taking off and they are looking to prove their worth. We on the other hand are looking to continue where we left off the last time around in 2014 and go one step further this time. We have not played regularly of recent but this also means that our ladies are very eager to step onto the pitch and kickstart their campaign for the World Cup in France next year,” Corneal added.

Team skipper St Louis backed up Corneal’s words, saying, “Yes definitely we are very,very excited and hungry for these two games. As a group we have been working very hard over the past few months. The FA has kept us together and now it’s a matter of us going out there and putting in the display in a match situation. We always know the importance of international matches and it’s a great opportunity to get the match time with these two games against Panama. Tickets for Thursday’s match are priced at $20 and will be available at the venue on game day. The same applies for the second match on Saturday in Marabella.

Meantime, St Louis and her teammates can look forward to some much welcomed additional international football as T&T have been named as one of the hosts for the upcoming Caribbean Football Union Women’s Challenge Series 2018. This is a separate tournament from the Concacaf Caribbean Women’s World Cup qualification which starts in May.

Twenty teams from the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) will be in the hunt for top honors in the CFU Women’s Challenge Series.The competition is scheduled for April and will be played across five venues. T&T will host one group at the TTFA Home of Football, Ato Boldon Stadium. Other groups will be played at Warner Park Sporting Complex in St. Kitts; UWI JFF Captain Horace Burrell Center of Excellence in Jamaica; Stade Sylvia Cator in Haiti and Antigua Recreation Grounds in Antigua.

CFU Interim President Randolph Harris said the Challenge Series addresses a dearth of competitive play for women footballers in the Caribbean and is a welcome addition to the calendar.

“This is both exciting and productive for our Member Associations. The respective women’s national teams have been itching to get off the mark for some time, so we are confident that the competition will redound to the benefit of the teams and football fans across the region,” Harris said.

The groups are Group A: St. Kitts and Nevis (hosts), St. Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Lucia and Dominica Group B: Jamaica (hosts), Barbados, Cuba and Turks and Caicos Islands Group C: Haiti (hosts), Martinique, Dominican Republic and USVI Group D: Antigua and Barbuda (hosts), Curacao, Guadeloupe and Montserrat; and Group E: Trinidad & Tobago (hosts), Grenada, Guyana and Suriname.

T&T will play Suriname on April 25th, Grenada on April 28th and Guyana on April 30th.

The CFU Women’s Challenge Series will be played over a period from April 18-29, 2018. Medals will be awarded to the group winners and runners-up.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2018, 12:41:58 AM »
Arjoon eager to get kickin’ against Panama.
By Shakira Thompson (TTFA).

West Texas A&M and national midfielder Shanelle Arjoon has joined the current squad that will face off against Panama in two international friendlies later on this week.

The friendlies will serve as preparations for the ladies who will be hosting a group in  the CFU leg of the FIFA Women’s World Cup, which will be held in France. Arjoon extended to TTFA Media how important it is for the team to get the practice matches.

“I think it would be beneficial to the team in terms of getting the necessary preparation. I don’t think the games would be easy at all so we just have to try to win and give our best effort” said the tricky midfielder. Arjoon is also in high hope for the qualifiers in May as she believes that the team’s hard work and sacrifice will reap great rewards. “I think we’d do really well considering the amount of work we have been putting in from early, we usually start like two weeks before. ” Arjoon continued.

Currently attending West Texas A&M in her junior year, the player praised the intensity of the training program as she told us “The training sessions are very intense and productive and I think we’re doing well as a team and we’re just looking forward to getting better collectively and individually.”

The National Senior Women’s team will be hosting two tournaments and at least three international friendlies within the space of two months and home advantage is critical for the team. “I think it would be critical for the fans to come out and support us as it would add to our motivation and we’ll want to make them all proud”, Arjoon lamented.

T&T will face Panama on Thursday 22nd March at the Ato Boldon Stadium from 6:30 PM while two days later the venue will shift to the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium for game two. Tickets cost just $20 and will be sold on game day.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2018, 06:56:18 AM »
WATCH: Promo for Trinidad and Tobago Women vs Panama.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/C7bLUjFfLXg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/C7bLUjFfLXg</a>

1]; } ?>