March 28, 2024, 03:28:54 AM

Author Topic: Women Warriors Thread  (Read 128988 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Women Warriors Thread
« Reply #570 on: December 14, 2018, 05:50:59 AM »
Part two: “We never feel like we can just be free and play!” Revisiting the Women’s W/Cup campaign.
Wired868.com.

For the first time in awhile, I noticed how disjointed we are during our pre-tournament camp in Raleigh. We have cliques, like all teams do; but we have to have the maturity to see past differences for the good of football and country. That was hard to do this time but I believe it was hard to do because of two main reasons.

I believe some players had better relationships with the coaches, who then refused to make tough decisions for the betterment of the team. They played players they liked, not necessarily who could help the team; and that is a reflection of culture in Trinidad and Tobago.

The second reason there was team division is that some of the players were sick and tired of being disrespected by the TTFA. We don’t get paid on time or barely get paid at all, we get treated like a recreation soccer team and not the Women’s National Senior Team.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been to a Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Team camp, and we have to have ‘players only’ meetings to decide if we are going to boycott the game because we haven’t gotten paid, or if we need to take a stance for equality for women. And many times our different viewpoints on that have divided the team before we even got on to the field, with some players willing to act like everything is fine and dandy.

The fear of getting blackballed meant some girls were afraid to ask for what they truly deserve as national team athletes because they fear a backlash for them or their families; so they let the TTFA run all over them. To me, that is abuse. I also believe some people might be too interconnected with the TTFA structure, so they won’t speak out against injustice because they think they may need to get help later on.

The TTFA makes it so disturbingly hard to ever just focus on football; we never feel like we can just be free and play.

But we do have our great moments as a team, when we dance and sing and laugh together. Those are my favourite moments and I learn so much about Trinidad and Tobago culture from my teammates.

Janine Francois always makes me feel at home. She is like a big sister to me. She takes me out from time to time in Trinidad to help me get to know the country and I will always love her for that.

Tasha St Louis—she calls me ‘Mad Cat’! Lol. I think it’s funny and it doesn’t bother me—has invited me down for Carnival. Nothing to do with football; just to come down and have fun. That’s what I love about my teammates when I’m in Trinidad. And that is how a team should be.

You don’t keep coming back to a place that constantly disrespects you as a player if you don’t love something about it. Maybe I’m crazy but I haven’t given up on a Trinidad and Tobago women’s team qualifying for a World Cup or Olympic Games. We just need to remove bias and corruption and insert a business approach to the game, so we can compete with the rest of the world.

Being born in America with ‘Trini’ parents isn’t the same as being born in Trinidad. Look, I get it. But I bonded well with my teammates and some of the younger players in Trinidad. I made them laugh and I talked to them about getting scholarships in the States and guided them anyway I could.

Aaliyah Prince, Aaliyah Cornwall and Natisha John are examples of players I think should be playing Division One soccer in the States. We do have really good talent. But we have so many distractions that the team cannot concentrate and that’s what makes it so hard.

Girls struggle to find ways to get to practice, have to constantly ask when the next check is coming, and never feel respected as national team players. It wears you down; and then player friction happens because not everyone has the same background, financial stability, or patience to deal with the second class treatment from the TTFA.

I am a jokester and some girls call me crazy or goofy; and I don’t mind that. But when it comes to soccer, I am intense. I also know how to put problems aside for the greater good, which is the product on the field.

I think another problem the Trinidad and Tobago team has is ‘player entitlement’, which is because we do not have a deep enough pool of strong bodied, able players. It should be an absolute dog fight to make the Women’s Senior National Team, not just a case of who is available at the time.

Our final 20 for the Concacaf championship did not represent the best players we have; but that’s what happens when constant dysfunction surrounds the women’s game. Too much bullshit and politics led to the choosing of that side. If the TTFA got its act together, we could have as many as 40 solid players competing to make a squad, which would truly be our best possible team.

Shawn Cooper told us he coaches for the TTFA patch and Trinidad and Tobago, and I know he wasn’t dealt the best cards; but none of us were and I wish he handled things a lot differently.

[Technical director] Anton Corneal is a true professional and has a hell of a soccer mind; but the TTFA has done such a disservice to him and disrespected him so many times that I believe he reached his breaking point. I think, at the Concacaf tournament, his mind was in other places.
I think when Carolina Morace and Randy Waldrum were there, bias went out the window and you knew the best players will always play. That forces other players to raise their level and makes the team more attractive for foreign-based talent.

We have to change the whole culture of football in Trinidad and Tobago; but that cannot happen if we don’t have professionals in place within the TTFA.

The U-15 girls team missed their Concacaf tournament due to visa issues. We had Ayana Russell, Rhea Belgrave and Kayla Taylor arrive at the venue on our first match day with their suitcases because of visa situations too. How embarrassing is that for the TTFA?!

If the team is picked early and correctly with a training camp established in a timely manner, players who need visas have an appropriate window to collect them so we look uniformed as a team. You should hear what the American broadcasters had to say about us. It is a shame how we are set up for failure before we even stepped on the pitch.

People who see what our Women’s National Senior Team go through when a qualification tournament comes around would say: “It’s like your federation pretends they don’t know the World Cup comes around every four years.”

But it is what you do between those four year cycles that makes you competitive, not working magic in the last four months—or begging for a preparatory camp between the Jamaican qualification leg and the final round in North Carolina.

We were poor at the CAC games and if proper planning was in place, we would have gone straight into camp before the Caribbean Championship in Jamaica. Instead, there was a coaching change, foreign-based players leave, and we don’t even get all of our players to Jamaica at the same time. So then we showed poorly in Jamaica as well.

The international game is the highest level of football in the world and it is sad that Trinidad and Tobago do not treat it as such. How can you properly prepare when you have three different coaches in three months, no training camp, you don’t pick all your best players and your team doesn’t train consistently over time?

Film study is another huge part of the development we are missing as a side. We do not properly scout our opponents. Yes, our coaches went to games and saw them play; but why not have someone film all those games and ours and then break it down for us? Film study helps you better understand how to play each team. It is the little things that count.

We did not do that for Panama or Mexico and were grossly underprepared to play them. I put that down to 33% player execution, 33% game planning and 33% failure to prepare for our opponent.

We watched Panama for 15 minutes with our coaches before we played them and we all said: ‘Yes, yes, we know how they play, we should beat them’. And then we lost.

As players, we should have demanded more from our coaches in terms of pre-prepared clips of our opponents and our own team, so we can see what they are doing and also what we are doing wrong. But it is harder to make those demands of your staff when they keep changing.

As a goalkeeper, no coach broke down the goals scored on us and showed us how to improve on our defensive mistakes. This is something that club coaches are doing at youth level! Our national team doesn’t do it, partly because no one cares to do it.

Coaching is a layered position and everyone seems to be doing the bare minimum and expecting amazing results; and that includes players, coaches and staff. I will get told that, in the Caribbean, we don’t have the resources that others do. But how long do we have to beg and plead to get even a fraction of what is needed for true progress?

Other girls and myself on the team follow many Men’s National Senior Team players on our social media and see that they wear sports performance trackers at training, have access to theragun massage guns and a multitude of other recovery tools like stretch and foam roll sessions, and stay in appropriate hotels which the girls never ever seem to have access too.

It’s truly a shame to see how much better they are treated than us. I cannot sit here and let DJW say all these other teams are paying the expenses for the Men’s National Team to play them in friendlies—because some line of communication has to be made to arrange these games.

I wonder how long the Women’s National Senior Team will go without an international friendly. Obviously we did not qualify for the Women’s World Cup; but why not arrange matches for us against teams who qualified?

It’s 2018 and we still lose by seven goals to the USA, five to Mexico and three to Panama. Jamaica got no help from their federation, so why did they succeed and we didn’t?

The Jamaica Women’s National Team will forever be used as an example for our ineptitude as a federation. They now are the first Caribbean women’s team to qualify for a senior World Cup—a feat that should have belonged to Trinidad and Tobago.

Yes, we let 2015 slip away; but it was what happened after that sealed our fate. Like firing Randy Waldrum and Ben Waldrum and not letting them set up their developmental plan from the U-15’s to the  Women’s National Senior Team. For whatever reason, we let ignorance win again and they were never allowed to finish the job they started.

Are they still upset with Randy Waldrum for that tweet? Let it go! The federation put themselves in positions to be called out when they constantly disrespect the women’s program. That team almost made it to a World Cup with nothing.

But this point is about Jamaica and what their coach, Hue Menzies, accomplished and how he did it.

First, look at his resume:

US Soccer National ‘A’ Coaching License
National Youth Coaching License
Thirty-plus years of coaching experience
Executive Director of Central Florida Kraze/Krush (2012 – Present)
Technical Director of Jamaica’s Women’s National Team (2015 – Present)
Brought ECNL to the state of Florida with Central Florida Kraze/Krush in 2011
Concacaf Study group member (2014 – Present)
One of the founders and Directors for the Lonestar Soccer Association in Austin, TX
Director of Coaching for the Warrior Soccer Association in Austin, TX
Fifteen years Olympic Development Coaching experience at the National, State and Regional level
Won several State titles in various age groups, regional and national finalist USYSA
Former Assistant coach at the University of Texas Women’s Soccer
Has placed 400+ players into various colleges
Now look at how a foreign-based coach, who ran most of his operation out of Florida, was able to recruit effectively to this national team and—not without a struggle from his federation—got a Caribbean team to the World Cup.

We had Carolina Morace and Randy Waldrum who have even more impressive resumes but we chose to show them no respect and did not allow them to build on their plans.

Jamaica entrusted Menzies with the time to create a staff, a credible program, and to find, evaluate and select players—whether they were foreign-based or not. And now Jamaica have made history and Trinidad and Tobago are stuck behind.

Editor’s Note: On 13 Thursday, Wired868 will wrap up the Saundra Baron interview with a look at the power dynamics within the squad at the Concacaf tournament and her view of the Lauryn Hutchinson and Kennya “Yaya” Cordner incidents.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #571 on: December 17, 2018, 05:39:15 AM »
“Nobody wants to deal with the TTFA!” Baron concludes series with look at vanishing talent.
By Wired868.com.

“On the first game day of the Concacaf Championship, I didn’t even have a TTFA badge or number on my game jersey. If that doesn’t paint the picture of how disrespected I was as a National Team player, I don’t know what will.

“I will never forget that moment, that I wasn’t even valued enough to have a badge on my jersey. I felt so embarrassed when the referees came into the locker room to do jersey checks.”

The following is the third and final blog by Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team goalkeeper Saundra Baron on the issues facing the Women Soca Warriors:

As I stated prior, technical director Anton Corneal, I believe, had reached his breaking point—just before the Concacaf Championship. He was not initially going to attend the Concacaf tournament before our team manager Jinelle James had a conversation with him.

I am glad he went because it is obvious to everyone that he brings a level of respect and knowledge that our team needs. But he had dealt with so much disrespect from the TTFA that his heart couldn’t have been fully with our initiative.

Corneal is the consummate professional; he is articulate with a savvy knowledge of tactics. But he was not our head coach. Shawn Cooper was the head coach and I believe the mutual respect between the two men meant that Corneal would not step on Cooper’s toes—even though it should have been Anton in charge.

But what stuck out in Cooper’s introductory talk with the players was the statement that he handles thing differently from other coaches; and his self-aggrandising rant that slighted our former coach Randy Waldrum. He killed the entire vibe in his first team address and, from that moment on, most players knew our camp was doomed.

Most of the girls didn’t want Jamaal Shabazz as our head coach, then we got Cooper. There is a massive level of responsibility that players must take for their performance on the field; but our potential was never going to be maximised under either coach.

In the three tournaments I played for Jamaal, I found him too passive as the team leader while he always seemed unprepared when it came to practice and game time. We would go days without seeing him. He wouldn’t be at team meals; we would play a game and it would go unanalysed.

In our first round of World Cup qualifiers, we wouldn’t talk about the opposing team until 30 minutes before we left for the match venue. I don’t care if the teams at that stage were weak; that’s not the precedent I want as a national team athlete.

The CAC Games were a complete mess—we got one tie and lost every other game—and you could see the difference in how other coaches interacted and prepared their teams to compete with ours.

Honestly, I think Jamaal saw the writing on the wall and understood he could not enhance this team. I do not put all of that on him though. We had players who were not ready yet and others who overstayed their time in international competition.

We all knew Jamaal was not the solution but players must take accountability too.

In the lead up to the Concacaf tournament, Liana Hinds, Arin King, Lauryn Hutchinson, Jo Cato and myself used our own money to fly to Richmond, VA and train for a week and half. Lauryn planned all of that. She also saw about our meals, training sessions with top coaches in the area, ice baths and treatment in collegiate facilities, and scrimmages with a talented Under-19 ECNL girls team.

Lauryn even let me shadow her on a business meeting with the two companies she operates because she knows I just got my Master’s in business management. She is a role model for all young woman and a better professional than most in the TTFA.

She did not release that video to embarrass the TTFA; she knew that if the whole team got to Richmond, we would have a fighting chance to compete or maybe even qualify.

I don’t care what anyone says; the TTFA and the turmoil around us gave us not even the slightest chance to be competitive. Also, yes, Lauryn was definitely not played because of her video. Don’t tell me different, I don’t have the time to argue.

I think they knew if they dropped her from the side altogether, some players would have quit the Concacaf tournament, including myself. Lauryn Hutchinson is such an amazing person, I am so thankful for her.

I was in the back of the locker rooms preparing for the USA game when Kennya ‘YaYa’ Cordner allegedly refused to play. I was only told about four hours before the game that I would be starting and I was trying to prepare for it. We were already eliminated from the World Cup running, so of course throw in Saundra Baron, the back up, let’s see what she can do—I think that was extremely disrespectful to me.

So when YaYa allegedly refused to play, I did not see what happened and cannot comment on it. Would I have played if I knew beforehand? Yes. But let me say this, I 100 per cent respect YaYa’s decision not to play.

The moment she saw the lineup on the board and knew that—with all the injuries we faced heading into the final match—Lauryn was still on the bench; it would have clicked that for sure she was being victimised for the video.

So YaYa decided to stand in solidarity with a player who was enduring such unfair treatment. YaYa is one of the most decorated Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Team players of all time. She is a ball of energy and a supreme talent.

Sure she has her stubborn moments but I respect YaYa for sticking up for Lauryn. I wanted her to play and wish she did; and, like I said, I would have played anyway. But I respect her decision.

Let me also say that Jinelle James is one of the few professionals I’ve met within the TTFA and I feel honoured to know her. I would talk to ‘Manage’ for hours on national trips about how much we want to change women’s football. However, the organisation made it impossible for her to do her job efficiently.

She fought to get decent treatment for us but was constantly told it was not going to happen. One time we asked for US$200 match fee to play for Trinidad and Tobago, which is far less than the men’s team would accept. We could not even get that. (In fact, Men’s National Senior Team players get US$300 for friendly matches at present).

I remember ‘Manage’ once looked me in the eyes and said, ‘Saundra, you will realistically take a loss playing for this national team’. I had to make a decision and I chose to stay on the National Team, because I hoped in my heart that someone would stand up for us.

It is a choice to play for your national team and a great honour; but you have to truly love your country and football to play for the Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team, due to all the obstacles you have to overcome—particularly as an overseas-born player.

(I am actually curious to hear the perspective from a male overseas-born Soca Warriors player).

If you look at Trinidad and Tobago’s current women teams, you will notice a decline in the numbers of overseas-born players. I attribute this to a few reasons.

We have lost our appeal as a desirable nation for women’s players to represent; and I don’t think we have anyone actively looking to scout and recruit players from North America and Europe, or someone who could market our side to talented overseas-born players.

Look at Arin King, who was born in Canada and is one of Trinidad and Tobago’s most decorated women’s national team players ever. Why can’t we find the next Arin King, who wants to represent our islands?

Carolina Morace and Randy Waldrum were keen on finding new talent because they cared about creating a competitive training environment. Jamaica showed the positives of that.

At the moment, Liana, Lauryn, King and myself are the only four overseas-born players left with a long-standing history within the women’s national team structure—from youth to senior team.

Why are there only four left? Because nobody wants to deal with the TTFA! They don’t want to give their blood, sweat and tears to an organisation that constantly shows it does not respect women’s football.

That is a big reason why even talented players born right in Trinidad and Tobago do not leave their US colleges to play for us either. Check the 21-26 age range and see how depleted our pool looks; and that is the most crucial age for international competition.

The TTFA has simply worn out the patience of so many players.

Imagine we have talented players such as the Debesette twins, Summer Arjoon, Vicky Swift and Anique Walker—bring back Anique!—who don’t even have roles within the current team.

And then we have talented upcoming players like Aaliyah Prince, Kedie Johnson, Cecily Stoute, Natisha John and Shenieka Paul who are being underprepared by the current women’s football set-up within the country.

We constantly undervalue our women. We have youth players going to random Division Two and Three schools and community colleges because they don’t know their true potential.

I know there are Caribbean connections to some US universities that appeal to our girls. But look at Jamaica Women’s National Team star Khadija ‘Bunny’ Shaw and how she benefitted from the exposure and level of training she received with Division One powerhouse, University of Tennessee.

I understand we all have to start somewhere but I think our girls have the talent to go to Division One schools.

Once a tournament is over, it goes right back to no one caring about the women’s football program; and this is a disservice to women’s footballers in the country. Nothing beneficial can come to fruition without proper preparation and that takes years.

What the Women’s National Senior Team did in 2014—coming one game from the World Cup—was nothing short of a miracle and a direct correlation of the talent, passion and commitment of that player pool and the love, sacrifice and coaching prowess of the Waldrums.

It is sad that we failed to capitalise on the success of that team; and now Jamaica surpassed us and Panama surpassed us. That is on the TTFA!

In all my years as a Trinidad and Tobago player, we have never had a true camp in my opinion. A camp should be for two weeks and include strength and conditioning, twice daily sessions and pool sessions. (In fact, I have never done a ‘team lift’ in all my time as a national team player; or a true sports performance session involving weights, speed training and conditioning).

We have some of the best athletes in the world but they are not consistently exposed to athletic performance training for strength and speed. With few exceptions, we are usually the smallest built side on the field and unable to cope with the physical demands of elite football.

Unlike the men’s team, the women can have these camps as often as necessary since most of the girls are not professional players. For the benefit of our college-based players, we can use either of the three holiday periods to hold them too.

There are too many prolonged periods in which the women’s national team programmes go dormant, and I think the same can be said for the men’s national youth sides. Coaches should have camps during these periods to assess their talent pool and for development.

Another thing that annoys me is, as a national team athlete, you shouldn’t have to worry about things like uniforms and equipment.

I think most times we got leftover kit from the men’s side and nothing ever seems to fit. Sometimes I just buy my own Joma shirts, so I could at least feel comfortable during training.

On the first game day of the Concacaf Championship, I didn’t even have a TTFA badge or number on my game jersey. If that doesn’t paint the picture of how disrespected I was as a National Team player, I don’t know what will.

I will never forget that moment, that I wasn’t even valued enough to have a badge on my jersey. I felt so embarrassed when the referees came into the locker room to do jersey checks.

It has gotten so bad that I bought my own Cupping Set, STIM machine, electric massager, and two bags of my own KT Tape because the most I would get on national team duty was a bag of ice. I wish I was lying!

We had one massage therapist for the whole team and she was not given nearly enough equipment or treatment materials to be effective. We are told to conserve tape and bring our own tape if we have any at times. Imagine we play for the national team and have to bring our own tape?!

One of my teammates told me the TTFA burned so many bridges with debts to recovery facilities across the country that none of them would even work with us anymore. So once again the negligence of the TTFA hurts the players.

So when president David John-Williams and the TTFA said how much they spend on women’s football, I can attest that it is a joke. We don’t even have updated training equipment such a rebounders, cones, training dummies, sport trackers, etc.

I won’t even start on how much money the TTFA owes players for baggage fees and even sometimes for their own flights… But, oh, let me be nice; they bought me a pair of gloves at the Concacaf tournament. So thanks, TTFA. (Sarcasm).

It should be a great accomplishment to send a women’s team to the World Cup; but DJW and the TTFA act like having a women’s programme is such a burden.

‘Hey DJW, the Home of Football doesn’t matter if football in the country is not respected, funded properly, and a quality product’!

I think there are people who are willing to donate to the women’s programme but the fear is the TTFA is not trustworthy. We need an account just for women’s football.

There were many people in the US and Trinidad and Tobago who reached out after Lauryn’s social media went viral and asked where they could donate. But their main question was: “How do we ensure our donations will directly help the women?”

The TTFA brought that negative light upon themselves.

I would like to see more done to develop the women’s league in Trinidad and Tobago and to create academies for girls. We should have girls teams who travel to the US to compete in youth tournaments and market their players.

I did not have the privilege to work with Carolina Morace, but I heard nothing but positives about her professionalism, intensity and impeccable sessions. I heard a teammate say, if they let us keep Carolina we would have qualified for this World Cup.

I have already said how much I admired Randy and Ben Waldrum too and their amazing work for us.

I also think Corneal is an excellent coach who exudes confidence in his game plan and knowledge of what he expects from his players. There are not enough Anton Corneals in Trinidad and Tobago on the women’s side of the game; and I hope and pray that dynamic changes.

Coaching matters! We need leaders who players respect and get fired up to play for.

To play on a national team is one of the biggest honours of my lifetime, it opened doors for my career and I am thankful to be from Trinidad and Tobago—overseas-born or not.

But I will not tolerate disrespect for women’s national footballers any longer. Please, I just want a fair shot at making this right for the women athletes. We have so much talent that is not being tapped into.

I hope the right thing is done to enhance the women’s game and I am prepared to stand up and fight for it.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 24, 2019, 06:53:19 PM »
Natasha Baptiste of Aston Villa women's team

She moved to Stoke a month ago yesterday. Has the new coaching staff reached out to her?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 29, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
No updates?
 lil backstories or inside info on the womens team as the qualifiers take place this week??

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 30, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
No updates?
 lil backstories or inside info on the womens team as the qualifiers take place this week??

They won their first game against Aruba 3 nil.  Not a bad result but given that one practice game happened before the tournament.... it can be taken in that context. Next game Wednesday.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #575 on: November 16, 2019, 02:47:01 AM »
'These past years have been heart-wrenching'
By Narissa Fraser (Newsday).

TTWoLF president on women's football:

PRESIDENT of the TT Women’s League Football (TTWoLF) Susan Joseph-Warrick says it is time for a change in the scene of local women's football.

Joseph-Warrick is also a member of United TTFA ­– a group of football stakeholders aiming to unseat TT Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams in the association's elections on November 24.

Speaking with Newsday Thursday afternoon, she said the group's talks about moving women's football forward have been "absolutely fantastic." She said fans and players (past and present) can look forward to a brighter future.

"I think it's about time somebody stands up and speaks for the women. We have had too much decline. We went from one game away from a World Cup to where we are now.

"We were the beacon of the Caribbean. People looked up to us. These past years have been really heart-wrenching for me, as a mother of players, as well as being around these girls."

She is the mother of national players Shanelle and Jonelle Warrick Cato and part-owner of the Trincity Nationals Football Club.

She said lack of financial support from the TTFA has hindered the growth of women's football, adding that she is in debt because of this.

On Tuesday, in an interview with Newsday, John-Williams blamed the decline of local women's football on a lack of succession planning. In reference to the 2014 squad that almost qualified for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup, he said, "That team was a culmination of a team of over 15 years. Where was the succession planning? Where were the youth teams to take over from that team when they reached their peak and had to be extinct?

"The plan for women's football is that we have to start all over."

In response, Joseph-Warrick said, "There was no succession planning. Why?"She said the tools for such planning were not provided.

She also suggested another reason why women's football is in the doldrums.

"I can say adamantly, in the three years that I've been inside the women's league, we received one payment of $50,000 (in 2016) towards prize money – not running the league.

"We were the only running football team-based women, or men – any football whatsoever this year – that ran between April and August. There was no assistance. The league cannot run with just prize money.

"We tried, this year, reaching out to the administration and we set up meetings and they couldn't make or we couldn't make. And I'm still waiting for confirmation of the date."

If United TTFA is elected, she said it will be clear, transparent and people-oriented, and is hoping football will attract crowds as it once did.

"We want to get the anxious people back out there. Let the people start to rally around the teams again.

"My passion for the women's football is not personal, As I tell people, it's to ensure there is something for the young ladies to look forward to in the future."

She is running for second vice-president on a slate led by presidential candidate William Wallace, Secondary Schools Football president.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:02:15 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
DeFour removed as T&T Women’s coach
« Reply #576 on: December 18, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »
DeFour removed as T&T Women’s coach
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

STEPHAN DeFour has been removed as T&T women’s football team coach.

DeFour, who took up the post in July, was a controversial appointment as two members of the then T&T Football Association (TTFA) board – Women’s League Football (WOLF) president Susan Joseph-Warrick and T&T Super League boss Keith Look Loy, indicated the decision was not made by the board, under then-president David John-Williams.

The T&T Women’s team failed in their bid to advance past the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Olympic qualifying round in October.

DeFour was informed about the TTFA decision by president William Wallace, on Tuesday.

According to a letter addressed to DeFour, “The TTFA board met on Saturday and a major part of the discussions centred around your current position as coach of the women’s programme. Based on the financial situation that the FA is faced with at this time, we have no choice but to quickly reorganise in many areas. One such area is the technical staff attached to all teams.”

The letter continued, “It is with a bit of a heavy heart that I have to inform you that we can no longer retain you as coach and sincerely thank you for your services rendered so far. We will arrange to discuss matters pertaining to the existing contract and outstanding payments.”

Ironically, Joseph-Warrick was elected as the TTFA second vice-president in November 24, while Look Loy is now the head of the TTFA technical committee.

When contacted on Tuesday, Look Loy said, “His (DeFour) was one of the contracts that was unilaterally given by John-Williams (shortly before the TTFA elections).

They were never tabled before the board. They were never discussed and never approved.

“A whole bunch of contracts that he unilaterally issued, without board approval,” Look Loy added.

Look Loy confirmed the technical committee is “still talking to prospects”, but it is understood that former coach, American Randy Waldrum, has renewed his interest in working with the current crop of T&T women’s players.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Forbes wants solid women’s football structure
« Reply #577 on: December 21, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »
Forbes wants solid women’s football structure
By Ryan Bachoo (T&T Guardian)

T&T foot­ball cap­tain Karyn Forbes says it is im­per­a­tive a prop­er struc­ture is built for women’s foot­ball in the coun­try.

The To­bag­on­ian play­er made the com­ment on the Morn­ing Shot on CNC3 yes­ter­day, two days af­ter the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion (TTFA) sacked head of the women’s pro­gramme Stephan De Four.

Asked to com­ment on the de­ci­sion to fire De Four, Forbes said she re­spect­ed the board’s de­ci­sion but said it is now time to build the women’s game across the na­tion.

“It’s a re­sult-ori­ent­ed sport and a new ad­min­is­tra­tion is on board and they de­serve a fair chance,” she said.

“I think if that’s their ap­proach to­wards it and they feel that’s best, I think you have to take the good with the bad some­times and there are things you don’t have con­trol over.”

While it re­mains un­cer­tain who will be tak­ing over at the helm of the women’s game in T&T, Forbes said the con­stant chop­ping and chang­ing was not help­ing the game grow for women’s play­ers. She al­so said chang­ing the na­ture of con­trac­tu­al agree­ments with coach­es will aid in prepar­ing teams bet­ter.

“I think with a prop­er struc­ture in place it will help. I think now, hav­ing long term con­tracts in place I think it can on­ly help be­cause by hav­ing the long term con­tracts, the coach­es have time in or­der to pre­pare the team so hope­ful­ly that’s the dri­ve that they are hop­ing to go for­ward with. In that way, the teams can get some sort of prepa­ra­tion go­ing for­ward in­to these com­pe­ti­tions rather than a month or two be­fore,” Forbes said.

De­spite all the chal­lenges the women’s game has been go­ing through, Forbes re­mains op­ti­mistic about 2020.

She said, “I think we al­ways have the po­ten­tial, it’s just mak­ing sure that we have a coach in place that able to pre­pare us ahead of time.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #578 on: December 22, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
TT Women’s League honour 2019 top performers
TTFA Media.

The Trinidad and Tobago Women’s League Football (TTWoLF) held  its 2019 Awards eremony  on  December at National Racquet Center, Organge Grove Road, Tacarigua honoring the outstanding performers for the recent season.

Several dignataries were in attendance as the local teams and individual achievers were acknowledged for their outstanding efforts.

Deputy Permanent Secretary Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs -Mrs. Denise Arneaud, MP / Deputy Speaker – Mr. Esmond Forde were among those present while CANOC and TT Olympic Committee  President Mr. Brian Lewis delivered the feature addressm

TTFA Vice President Mr. Clynt Taylor and TTFA Board member Mr. Keith Look Loy and councilor Josiah Austin were also among the guests.

Soca Monarch champion Voice and Christian Cowie had the audience in a dancing mood with live performances.

Honour Roll

Winners of 2019:
1st Place- Club Sando F.C.

2nd Place – St. Augustine Football Club

3rd Place- Trincity Nationals

Other winners of the night:
Coach of the year: Mr. Arnold Murphy (Club Sando)

Golden Boot: Ms. Ahkeela Mollon (Club Sando F.C)

Golden Glove: Ms. Keri Myers (Club Sando F.C.)

MVP: Ahkeela Mollon (Club Sando F.C)

Manager of the Year: Mrs. Marie Mouttet (QPCC)

Fair Play Award: Central Women United

TTWoLF President Youth Players Awardees:
Sadiel Antoine (Central Women United)

Moenesa Meijas (Trincity Nationals)

Tishanna Orosco (St. Augustine Football Club)

TT Wolf would like to extend gratitude to the following partners in making the event possible.

Office of Prime Minister Sports and Cultural Fund, Ministry Sports and Youth Affairs (MSYA), Deputy Permanent Secretary MSYA, NLCB, Tunapuna/ Piarco Regional Corporation, MP/ Speaker House Esmond Forde, Bermudez Group Ltd, IMAX, Harold Jo Sports, Members of TTWoLF, Volunteers and the TTFA.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:54:15 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #579 on: September 17, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
T&T footballer Shade seeking funds for toe surgery
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

T&T WOMEN’S football team striker Mariah Shade is currently on a fund-raising drive to offset the cost for her toe surgery on her left foot.

The 28-year-old fractured her tailbone in 2018 and underwent surgery a year later. However, she is still encountering pains and complications, and that process require additional medical attention.

To compound matters, she received a tough tackle during a match between TT and hosts Colombia in July 2018, which left her with a critical toe injury (osteochondral defect).

Shade will be having a curry-que on Saturday, at Bennett Village, Santa Flora. However, in keeping with covid19 guidelines, this curry-que (which runs from 11.30 am to 1 pm) will only have curbside pick-ups.

Regarding the fundraiser, Shade said on Thursday, “It’s going really good. I’m getting an overwhelming amount of support. I have to close orders because I reached my target in doing the amount of tickets I wanted to sell.”

She added, “A lot of people who cannot be at the location because it’s in deep South are sending funds to my account and making contributions, even more than the price of the tickets.”

Shade, who has been a member of the national women’s teams, from the Under-17 level, since 2008, declined to comment on the involvement of the TT Football Association (TTFA) towards her recovery. “I’ll be more open (to divulge information) after the surgery,” she said.

The surgery is scheduled for Monday at the West Shore Medical Centre, Westmoorings.

“I was supposed to travel to Miami to do it but it’s just unsafe because of the covid19,” she said.

A devout Christian, Shade is pleased with the response from the public towards her fundraising venture.

“It gives me hope that there is still a lot of kind-hearted people out here. It’s just heart-warming that (people are) leaving from Arima (and) Tunapuna to come to South just to support the curry-que. It’s a good feeling.”

Concerning her physical struggles, Shade said, “I’ve been dealing with two major injuries for the last two years. I’ve been in a pain literally every day. Almost every other night I’ll be rolling in bed in pain because of the tailbone pain, as well as my toe.”

She continued, “I get pain upon walking, pain wearing certain type of footwear, certain types of ‘heels’ is a no-no. The pain has been a lot, emotionally, physically, every way it’s been very challenging.”

How is the support from her national teammates? “A lot of them have been sharing posters I’ve been posting up on social media. A lot of them have been reaching out, a lot of them have been supporting, they have supported the cost of therapy itself.”

Anyone wishing to donate to Shade’s medical expenses can do so at RBC Royal Bank TT, account number 110000000576994.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:08:59 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #580 on: December 26, 2020, 07:01:56 AM »
Expanded W/Cup chances for CONCACAF women
T&T Express Reports.

CONCACAF will have four direct berths for the expanded Women’s World Cup in 2023, and two more teams from the region will have a chance to join them via a ten-team playoff tournament.

The United States, Canada, and Jamaica represented the confederation covering North and Central America and the Caribbean at the 24-team World Cup in France last year. A fourth Concacaf country, Panama, had a chance to qualify, but lost 5-1 to Argentina on aggregate in a home-and-away CONCACAF-CONMEBOL playoff.

FIFA released the breakdown for the 32-team women’s tournament on Thursday. Europe (UEFA) will get 11 direct slots, while Asia (AFC) gets six and Africa (CAF), like Concacaf, gets four. South America (CONMEBOL) gets three and Oceania (OFC) one.

Host Australia and New Zealand automatically qualify, with their slots taken directly from the quotas allocated to their confederations.

The 2019 World Cup field featured nine teams from Europe, including hosts France, five from Asia, three from Africa and CONCACAF, two from South America, one from Oceania and the winners of the CONCACAF-CONMEBOL playoff.

The first Women’s World Cup, held in 1991 in China, had 12 participants.

Four teams will be seeded in the 2023 playoff tournament, based on the latest FIFA world rankings prior to the draw, with a maximum of one seeded team per confederation. The teams will be divided into three pools—two of three countries and one of four—with sides from the same confederation kept apart.

The playoff tournament will serve as a test event in Australia and New Zealand, with both hosts taking part in friendly matches against the teams in Group One and Group Two, ensuring all teams play two matches during the competition.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #581 on: January 05, 2021, 01:05:57 AM »
FIFA targets Women football in T&T.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

Women's football in T&T has gained the attention of the sport's world governing body- FIFA, Robert Hadad of the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee said.

Speaking to Guardian Media Sports yesterday, Hadad said he has been instructed by FIFA, to look at women's football, as there has been an increased investment towards it. "FIFA has specifically said they would really like us focusing on women's football. They have increased their investment in women's football and they have already started speaking to Jinelle James and hopefully, they will put a plan in place for women's football as soon as possible."

Only last year women's football provided the lone bright spark for the country on the field when the Under-20 women finished in the quarterfinal round of the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship in the Dominican Republic in March.

Amidst concerns about the direction of the sport following the election of the William Wallace-led executive, which replaced the David John-Williams administration on November 24, 2019, the Richard Hood-coached team provided a smile for all, with wins against St Kitts/Nevis 6-0 and the Cayman Islands 2-0 in the group stage, which earned them a place into the round of 16s, despite a heavy 0-7 defeat by Haiti in their third group match.

Later the T&T girls confirmed a place in the quarters with a 5-4 triumph over Puerto Rico from the penalty spot, after the game ended 3-3 at the end of regulation time. They were later booted out by giants Mexico in a 0-4 loss in the quarters.

Contacted yesterday, James who is the Director of Women's football described the initiative of the FIFA as tremendous, saying it is long overdue.

She said the women's game has been growing all over the world, so to get that additional support will help local football tremendously.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #582 on: January 11, 2021, 06:00:42 PM »
Hood looking for second shot at Women's coaching job

The search for a T&T Senior Women's football coach has begun in earnest.

The T&T Football Association (TTFA) began advertising for individuals to fill the position on Monday and former coach Richard Hood, who took the Under-20 Women's team to the quarterfinal of the CONCACAF Championship in the Dominican Republic last year, is set to submit his application.

Hood's agreement to be the country's under-17 and under-20 coach had to be cancelled following the cancellation of the qualifiers at both the CONCACAF and FIFA levels late last year.

Hood, a Police offer by profession told Guardian Media Sports on Monday that he could not say whether he will be picked or not, however, he's confident in his ability to do the job, having had experience at both the senior level and at the junior level.

The selected coach will be accountable to the football association's Technical Director and Technical Committee, and will have major responsibilities which, according to the outline in the invitation, states:

"Applicants for the position of the head coach must be able to: lead training sessions, provide motivation and advice during gameplay, develop game plans, attend tryouts, schedule team meetings, and should be able to identify the individual abilities of each player."

He/she will also: Be a member of the Association’s Technical Department; Lead and manage a National Team, including its player personnel and technical staff; Aid in the selection of the player personnel of said National Team; Develop and implement the training programme of said National Team and submit said programme to the Association’s Technical Director; Report on the implementation of said programme to the Association’s Technical Director and Technical Committee, including the performance of player personnel and technical staff.

Also, the successful coach will: Assist in the training of programmes of other National Teams and perform other technical assignments, as recommended by the Association’s Technical Director and Technical Committee.

Applicants are to submit resumes, contact information and a copy of all related documents to technical.ttfa@gmail.com or the office of the TTFA at Ato Boldon Stadium, Balmain Couva on or before Tuesday 19 January 2021. They can also contact the TTFA office at 868 364-0489.

The invitation for the position of coach comes on the heels of calls by the sport's world governing body-FIFA, for more emphasis to be placed on women's football, as articulated by Chairman of the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee Robert Hadad last weeks.

Women's football technical director Jinelle James said they are looking for a competent, qualified person who has a desire to work with the women's team and be committed to the women's programme. She noted the programmes must have a certain level of success and ultimately qualify the senior women team for the 2023 FIFA World Cup.

According to James, FIFA's decision to focus on women's football is aimed at preventing the negative social media posts of teams inability to hold camps, coupled with other concerns of no water and funding etc for teams to compete at tournaments.

In 2018, two T&T players, goalkeeper Saundra Baron and defender Arin King took to social media to highlight their concerns ahead of the CONCACAF Women's Championship which was scheduled to be a qualifier for the FIFA Women's World Cup in France.

Then, King said their problems stemmed from a lack of support from the parent football association.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #583 on: January 12, 2021, 02:13:35 AM »
Shabazz: Give a woman the job.
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

THE TTFA (TT Football Association) is currently advertising the post for national women’s team coach, with local, and even international coaches, available to apply.

The position has been vacant for over a year, since Stephan De Four was dismissed in December 2019.

De Four served as coach for the 2020 Olympic Games qualifying series, but the T&T squad were eliminated in the group stage, in October 2019. Even though T&T, as hosts, were the overwhelming favourites to advance as the group winners, from Group A of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) leg, they finished third in the group, behind St Kitts/Nevis and Dominican Republic.

De Four, who was hired during the David John-Williams regime, was fired after William Wallace took over as TTFA president.

Wallace only lasted four months in the role before he and his executive were removed by FIFA in March 2020 and replaced by a normalisation committee, headed by Robert Hadad, due to rising debt incurred by the local governing body.

This is the first coaching position advertised by the TTFA since Hadad and his committee (comprising Judy Daniel and Nigel Romano) were allowed full control of local football affairs, by FIFA, last November.

Former T&T women’s coach Jamaal Shabazz is calling for a local women’s coach to be appointed to the vacant position.

Shabazz, who is presently the St Lucia men’s team coach, said on Monday, “I would like to see a local female coach take over the reins now.”

One person who is throwing his hat into the ring is Richard Hood, who served as T&T Under-20 women’s coach during the Concacaf Championships in the Dominican Republic last February. Hood, on Monday, said, “I would definitely be applying for the post.”

A media release from the TTFA on Monday said applicants for the position of the coach must be able to lead training sessions, provide motivation and advice during gameplay, develop game plans, attend tryouts, schedule team meetings and be able to identify the individual abilities of each player.

The successful appointee will become a member of the TTFA’s technical department; lead and manage the national team, including its player personnel and technical staff; aid in selecting players; develop and implement the training programme; submit the programme to the TTFA’s technical director; report on the implementation of the programme to the TTFA’s technical director and technical committee, including the performance of player personnel and technical staff; assist in the training programmes of other national teams; and perform other technical assignments, as recommended by the association’s technical director and technical committee.

Hadad mentioned on Monday that the normalisation committee will be in a position to pay the salary for the T&T women’s coach.

“We would have the money to pay the coaches,” said Hadad. “We do have money coming in this year. The problem is the money that you get in a calendar year, you use it for football for that year.

“That’s the big problem,” Hadad continued, “with the past debt, is that you have to find ways and means, and you have to prioritise who and what is more important. Everybody will be dealt with as we go along, but it cannot happen overnight. We are going to advertise for (coaches for) the Under-17 boys and Under-17 women. We have to get football back on the field of play.”

Amiel Mohammed, Hadad’s assistant, commented, “The football committee will have to access and, within the covid(19) restrictions and the requirements for the Concacaf and FIFA calendar, they would have to select the best candidate that can operate under these conditions right now.”

The media release said applicants should submit their resume, contact information and copies of all related documents by e-mail to technical.ttfa@gmail.com.

They can also be submitted to the office of the TTFA at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Balmain, Couva, by January 19. Applicants can call 364-0489 for more information,

The women’s team will be focusing on the 2022 Concacaf Women’s Championship, which will serve as qualifiers for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, scheduled to be hosted jointly by Australia and New Zealand.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 12, 2021, 06:55:03 AM »
Wait ah -   It come to this stage dat coaching TnT women's team is not luring to any qualified coaches out there?

How is if that one of our female coaches and former player could find employment inAnguilla yet not in her native land? - TTFA politics

Why should it be a given that we recycle some of the male coaches from the heap of left overs? - TTFA politics

What would it look like if a woman was appointed to coach the men's national team? - upheaval - then why should we  by default be considering some of the male coaches who have failed after taking on the job as a last minute desperate no frills no money left over attempt to salvage the team?- TTFA politics

Is there not a qualified female coach who could come in here with program planning like the former Italian coach once had for TnT? What is preventing this type of qualified candidates?  - TTFA politics
 Looks like the fault dear Brutus likes not in the stars  but in we damn own internal governance of football.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2021, 07:14:53 AM »
Who would be on the roll call of local female candidates? And how long is that list?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 12, 2021, 10:43:56 PM »
Off the top ..

Maybe Dernelle Mascall -- who worked as an asst. for a short period of time in the past at the national level since her retirement (Believe she started her own Academy as well)
&
Maylee Attin-Johnson --- not sure where she's coaching atm tho

Mollon had her own academy and as you know she's taken up the role in Anguilla

I don't know if they're fully qualified or not but I know they've been involved in coaching at some level

Females have limited opportunities to coach in Trinidad unfortuantely
even in the SSFL - male and female divisions -- can only think of a handful with some of the top teams (in the female division); probably none in the male divisions

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:47:39 PM by AZZURRI »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 13, 2021, 02:09:53 AM »
Randy Waldrum without question and Maylee and Arin King as his assistants.

Talk done.

Why Shabaaz didn't say let a woman coach de women team when he was coach for them over 10 years, leh he hall he ass with that.

Pick the best person for the job, it's not about woman or man.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 13, 2021, 06:39:56 AM »
Many of us can, with reasonable certainty, come up with a list of who is likely to have applied for this position or has an interest in doing so.

It is not like Shabazz to be politically correct, but this call echoes as if politically correct ... which is not to say he doesn't believe his proposition.

Although FIFA has gone gender-neutral in terms of referee assignments, there is a reality in the game that more women should be coaching women (on paper we already have gender-neutral coaching of women, but it is lopsidedly men coaching women). And with football played by women getting hefty infusions of cash from FIFA and other bodies, there are going to be some waggonists emerging who think that coaching men is the same as coaching women. It simply is not.

In my view, while the call by Shabazz is ideal, I think we are not properly at that precise moment if we are thinking critically about coupling football played by women with a structured medium to longer term vision, and coupling it with domestic organized league football played by women that can build on the good that WoLF has done.

As an observer of football played by women in our regional basin (excluding the US and Canada) I can say that even in matters that cost little to nothing, we have failed to even put cheap cement between some blocks. There was a glimmer of discernment under Look Loy, but now here we are again.

Maybe if Shabazz called a name or two and supported one or the other name with a why, I would have buy-in (because I think there may be 1 to 2 possible candidates that could be intriguing if we bet on risk and promise, who potentially offer more than being minimally competent and who can be influential in structural processes).

Despite his accomplishments and self-confidence, I am not sure that confidence in Hood is universal, but it seems that he has had prior interrupted NT processes (at least twice) with insufficient respect returned. He seems to have merited the opportunity to achieve or fail in his own right.

NEVERTHELESS, if that is not the route ...

In my assessment, Rajesh Latchoo should be the coach given the right of first refusal regarding the job going forward.

I have never spoken to Latchoo. I have observed him up close, from a moderate distance and from digesting the feedback of what would have to be unimpeachable opinions. He checks a lot of the boxes.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 06:44:22 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 13, 2021, 06:49:48 AM »
Off the top ..

Maybe Dernelle Mascall -- who worked as an asst. for a short period of time in the past at the national level since her retirement (Believe she started her own Academy as well)
&

I don't know if they're fully qualified or not but I know they've been involved in coaching at some level

even in the SSFL - male and female divisions -- can only think of a handful with some of the top teams (in the female division); probably none in the male divisions

Agreed.

There are other names as well. For instance Izler Browne.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 13, 2021, 08:28:26 AM »
With all due respect for those tried and true Warriors coach of the past and to the adage of regardlessof gender we  need to select the ' right' person for the job - this line of thinking have been employed  in our men's program . We have recycled coaches - many have been assistants - many have thought that
we had the right person as head coach and yet our success has been marginal. Mind you- it's not all coaching given our limited player pool.

By comparison - how is it that Jamaica able to have relatively more competitive teams in : football - men and women -  netball and athletics?

A country like Haiti with an unflattering economy is able to field far more competitive teams in football - how so?

In my opinion it is time to change the paradigm of recycling coaches- many of whom were assistants under competent head coaches yet when given the opportunity have failed-Anton Corneal was there working with Beehakker served as a FIFA technical  coach in the region yet  he too was unsuccessful in a stint as a head coach.

In my opinion one of the potentially better candidate took up the position in Anguilla with the women's team program-

Some say the best person for the job- no one would argue that should be the norm - I don't think anyone takes that position with the intent to do a bad job or to fail. However, I think with the women's program we ought to  ensure that there are competent female coaches who can work with these ladies.

Imagine if there was an outstanding successful female coach kicking around would she ever be considered as a candidate to  coach the senior men's team?

I leave you with that thought.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 14, 2021, 10:46:29 AM »
Randy Waldrum without question and Maylee and Arin King as his assistants.

Talk done.

Why Shabaaz didn't say let a woman coach de women team when he was coach for them over 10 years, leh he hall he ass with that.

Pick the best person for the job, it's not about woman or man.

Arin would be retiring?

Shabaaz' input on these matters should be handled with a bag of salt sometimes
While he has the experience, still too many questions come up from the past with his relationships with DJW and the national programs

He needs to say those things with a lil more substance.
Can't just give any former player just so because they're a former player. This isn't a pickup side.

Def. consider them once they're in the coaching fraternity. But as i said before, more opportunity needs to be given -- be it coaching education and coaching roles -- at the local level/leagues

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 14, 2021, 10:47:03 AM »
Off the top ..

&

Agreed.

There are other names as well. For instance Izler Browne.

I know the name

Where is she coaching now?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #593 on: January 17, 2021, 02:04:20 AM »
Over 75 applicants for T&T women’s head coach, as TTFA contemplates TT$3.4 million windfall.
Wired868.com.

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) women’s director of football Jinelle James said the next Women Soca Warriors head coach should be someone with real passion for the job, as the local football body prepares to fill a key vacancy.

The TTFA opened its door for prospective coaches on Monday. Within 48 hours, applications poured in from as far afield as Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina and the United States.

“It has been really extensive,” said James. “We have had over 75 applicants thus far.”

The final decision will be made by the Fifa-appointed normalisation committee, which has replaced the TTFA’s Board. The committee, headed by chairman Robert Hadad, should be provided with a shortlist of the best available coaches, although uncertainty remains over the panel charged with whittling down the applicants.

Hadad suggested he has a free hand in the appointment of the local body’s standing committees. However, veteran official Osmond Downer subsequently explained that Hadad’s claim was almost certainly a misinterpretation of the constitution and his mandate.

It is left to be seen whether the normalisation committee respects the four year term of the current technical committee—which was not ended by Fifa—or tries to implement its own.

At present, the technical committee comprises of: Narvin Charles, Dale Toney, Michael Grayson and Ken Elie. Richard Piper, Norris Ferguson and James are adjunct committee members, who do not hold voting rights.

The Women Warriors have had eight different head coaches over the past five years, as American Randy Waldrum was followed by Ross Russell, Richard Hood, Italian Carolina Morace, Jamaal Shabazz, Anton Corneal, Shawn Cooper, and Stephan De Four respectively. (Anthony Creece also served as a stand-in for one international exhibition tournament.)

The new head coach looks set to benefit from more funding than his or her predecessors.

Last September, Fifa promised its member associations additional funding through a new Women’s Development Programme, as well as a US$500,000 (TT$3.4 million) grant as part of its Covid-19 relief package.

James hopes that this windfall can help spark a revival in the fortunes of the Women Warriors.

The Development Programme includes free courses and mentorship programmes for active national coaches as well as ‘B’ and ‘A’ license coaches, uniforms for up to 12 league teams, and grants ranging between US$10,000 (TT$68,000) and US$50,000 (TT$340,000) per year for marketing, workshops, club licensing, and operating costs for a league competition.

James told the TTFA Media that the new funding should make it more realistic for the governing body to ‘introduce proper programmes’ for the women’s game.

At the helm, she hopes, will be a coach who will help push the Women Warriors in the right direction.

“Currently we are 65th in the Fifa ranking which is the lowest we have ever been in our history thus far,” said James, who is a former national player. “So we have to look at rebuilding and re-establishing ourselves as a powerhouse in the region. This coach has to have that passion, that drive that will be infectious to the women’s players and overall the women’s programme.

“And willing to work under some different circumstances but […] to push through…”

Trinidad and Tobago’s highest ever Fifa women’s ranking—since the introduction of the women’s ranking system in 2003—was 39th, which they occupied between 2004 and 2006. The Women Warriors were generally ranked between 40 and 48 ever since.

However, they plummeted to 72nd under the David John-Williams-led administration, before moving to 65th during the short-lived term of his successor, William Wallace.

RELATED NEWS

TTFA invites applicants for W/Warriors head coach, T&T women set for ninth change in six years
Wired868.com.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), which is being managed by a Fifa-appointed normalisation committee at present, has opened its door for applicants for the position of Women’s National Senior Team head coach.

Applicants are asked to submit their resume, contact information and a copy of all related documents by email to technical.ttfa@gmail.com, or send submissions to the TTFA’s headquarters at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Balmain, Couva on or before Tuesday 19 January 2021. There was no minimum license or coaching experience provided by the local football body.

Coaches may contact 364-0489 for further information.

The Women Soca Warriors famously came within one result of a berth at the 2015 Canada Women’s World Cup. Since then, they have had eight coaches, as American Randy Waldrum was followed by Ross Russell, Richard Hood, Carolina Morace, Jamaal Shabazz, Anton Corneal, Shawn Cooper, and Stephan De Four respectively. (Anthony Creece also served as a stand-in for one international exhibition tournament.)

De Four steered the Women Warriors in the Olympic qualifying series in 2019, when Trinidad and Tobago were eliminated on home soil by St Kitts and Nevis at the Caribbean stage.

Hood, who is also the head coach of Pro League outfit Police FC, took the Women’s Under-20 Team to the quarterfinal round of the 2020 Concacaf Championship, while he got the senior women into the semifinal stage of the 2016 Concacaf Olympic qualifying series.

It is uncertain who would examine the coaching submissions since the normalisation committee, headed by chairman Robert Hadad, has so far not acknowledged the TTFA’s technical committee.

At present, the technical committee comprises of: Narvin Charles, Dale Toney, Michael Grayson and Ken Elie. Richard Piper, Jinelle James and Norris Ferguson are adjunct committee members who do not hold voting rights.

(Normalisation committee requirements for Women’s National Senior Team head coach)

Applicants for the position of head coach must be able to: lead training sessions, provide motivation and advice during gameplay, develop game plans, attend tryouts, schedule team meetings, and should be able to identify the individual abilities of each player.

They should be able to:

1. Be a member of the Association’s technical department;

2. Lead and manage a national team, including its player personnel and technical staff;

3. Aid in the selection of the player personnel of said national team;

4. Develop and implement the training programme of said national team and submit said programme to the Association’s technical director;

5. Report on the implementation of said programme to the Association’s technical director and technical committee, including the performance of player personnel and technical staff;

6. Assist in the training of programmes of other national teams and perform other technical assignments, as recommended by the Association’s technical director and technical committee.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 17, 2021, 02:26:28 PM »
Please none of the local male" flunkies" - they have never seem to have a big picture  vision. They seemely seem to want to coach for the day.

Need some one with a Welty of international experience - program  development - player development technical savy

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 17, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »
They should be able to:

1. Be a member of the Association’s technical department;

2. Lead and manage a national team, including its player personnel and technical staff;

3. Aid in the (Proper) selection of the player personnel of said national team;
7. Win games ( NOT just develop winning attitude and lose games. Our best selections would already have a winning attitude.). Must be able to develop in game strategies to have our players end with a positive result.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #596 on: January 22, 2021, 01:51:49 AM »
195 coaches worldwide apply for T&T Women's coaching job.

A total of 195 coaches from countries around the world, have applied to be the Senior National Women's coach.

Entry for applicants closed on Tuesday and to date, only Richard Hood, the former national under-20 and under-17 coach is the only name to be known from the list.

The coach who led this country's under-20 women's team to the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Under-20 Championships in the Dominican Republic last year confirmed for Guardian Media Sports on Thursday that he has applied for the position when it was advertised last week.

A number of local coaches have applied for the job but Jamal Shabazz, the Morvant Caledonia United owner and managing director, who has coached women's football for many years, said he believes the TTFA should appoint a woman's head coach.

His call comes after Italian Carolina Morace and her staff of Nicola Williams, Elisabetta Bavagnoli and Manuela Tesse, left T&T after some five months of their recruitment in February 2017, for the ever familiar issues of player-indiscipline and no wages.

The T&T Football Association officials were feverishly sorting the stack of applications for the past two days in an effort to announce who will be the country's new coach next week.

Since the invitation went out last week, there was an influx of applicants from countries such as England, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, United States, Italy, Mexico, France, Sudan, Australia, Samoa, and Japan, among many others.

However, the process to select the candidate by the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee which is headed by businessman Robert Hadad was not revealed.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 22, 2021, 08:01:00 AM »
195 coaches worldwide apply for T&T Women's coaching job.

A total of 195 coaches from countries around the world, have applied to be the Senior National Women's coach.

Entry for applicants closed on Tuesday and to date, only Richard Hood, the former national under-20 and under-17 coach is the only name to be known from the list.

The coach who led this country's under-20 women's team to the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Under-20 Championships in the Dominican Republic last year confirmed for Guardian Media Sports on Thursday that he has applied for the position when it was advertised last week.

A number of local coaches have applied for the job but Jamal Shabazz, the Morvant Caledonia United owner and managing director, who has coached women's football for many years, said he believes the TTFA should appoint a woman's head coach.

His call comes after Italian Carolina Morace and her staff of Nicola Williams, Elisabetta Bavagnoli and Manuela Tesse, left T&T after some five months of their recruitment in February 2017, for the ever familiar issues of player-indiscipline and no wages.

The T&T Football Association officials were feverishly sorting the stack of applications for the past two days in an effort to announce who will be the country's new coach next week.

Since the invitation went out last week, there was an influx of applicants from countries such as England, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, United States, Italy, Mexico, France, Sudan, Australia, Samoa, and Japan, among many others.

However, the process to select the candidate by the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee which is headed by businessman Robert Hadad was not revealed.

How the Fck anyone would expect to see  a process to select ah coach?  It never had one in the fist place !  Oh shut the firetruck - there is one - start looking at the usual suspects- Hood Corneal and ah set  of starving local coaches who looking for job who connected to the recycling network but who are sadly lacking in their depth of player development- international experience  and anything beyond the borders of TnT?

Not advocating for foreign coach as the sloution - just a coach with the competency to move a national team beyond training sessions in the savannah!

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 22, 2021, 12:18:30 PM »
If he is filtering through 195 on his own he's an idiot. He has many other priorities - this is why the technical committee exists - let a group of people with the right skills adjudicate - with the job split between qualified, appointed members it can be done better and quicker.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 22, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
Liana Hinds has signed with Iceland's ÍB Vestmannaeyjar. ÍBV compete in the Úrvalsdeild kvenna, which is the top-tier women's football league in Iceland.

1]; } ?>