April 25, 2024, 08:23:42 AM

Author Topic: Backing T&T all the way  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Backing T&T all the way
« on: July 07, 2005, 11:38:28 AM »
Backing T&T all the way
By Gary and Cheyenne Hector

Well, it is Monday July 4...some will recognise this date as America's Independence Day but for me the big magician, and my son, the small magician, this date means we have just this one day to pack and organise ourselves to leave sweet T&T and head off to Miami to witness the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Why are we doing that? Why would someone take on such expenses to go and support the Trinidad and Tobago national football team in some unknown tournament? Well, simple, we call ourselves "the Faithfulista". We go to see every T&T football match in T&T, all age-groups, women's and some Pro and Super League games. I have been following T&T since 1973, and my son, well, I guess he had no choice, he started in 1995.

Last year we had our first taste of travel to see T&T vs Northern Ireland. So what if it was only in Tobago? It was a cool little one-day trip. Left on the first flight, like 7 a.m. Got some breakfast around Store Bay. Went to Pigeon Point, chilled, met some British folks there, some Dwight Yorke conversations, Boro fans,  Swindon, Westham. Both my son and I support Man United in England so we took some stick for that as well.

Then hooked up a ride for the game at.yes, the Dwight Yorke Stadium. And there even was a second half appearance by ..yes, Dwight Yorke the first time in three years since he last wore the great red shirt so the scoreline read Northern Ireland 3 T&T 0 and yes we were awful on the day but the Faithfulista had a great time (except the bloody result) and we were back in our beds in Trinidad by 9 p.m.

Well, we are quite aware the US of A is no Tobago trip. So with some last minute Trini-style planning and collecting some outstanding cash here and there, and some objections from the boss, Mrs. Magician, we leap into the unknown not knowing what the progress of the Warriors (T&T) will be.

To my surprise, a lot of people don't know what the CONCACAF Gold Cup really is, well think UEFA European Championships (the one in which Greece shocked the football world last year), the Copa America (Brazilian penalty kicks win over eternal rivals Argentina), the African Cup of Nations (hosted and won by Tunisia) and the Asian Cup, which was won by Zico"s Japan. So the Gold Cup is this region's premier tournament and was also conceived by a Trini (Jack Warner, president of CONCACAF). The winner of the Gold Cup also qualifies for the 2007 Confederations Cup, the same one you followed in Germany with such passion last week with those Brazilians.

Again, so do you still think it's a little unknown tournament?

The records will show T&T competing in their fifth Gold Cup with a 0-1 semi-final loss to the eventual champs Canada in 2000, our best showing. That Bertille St Clair-coached squad included players like Yorke, Anthony Rougier, the little magician Russell Latapy, Arnold Dwarika, David Nakhid, the late Mickey Trotman and Jerron Nixon...it was Trotman's golden goal strike versus Costa Rica which took T&T to the semi-final.

So here we are, 2005...in the middle of our all important World Cup qualifiers for Germany 2006, with a new high profile Dutch coach, Leo Beenhakker, known to all as "Don Leo", about to tackle the best of CONCACAF, plus two invited teams in Colombia and 2010 World Cup hosts South Africa for the right to be called CONCACAF's finest. So here is the big question: Would you rather be Gold Cup champs or World Cup qualifiers for Germany 2006 our answer is BOTH. Yes we greedy, why not? dreamers?...maybe, but you know what? One game at a time, and that first group A game is on Wednesday July 6 versus old foes, Honduras, then Panama on Saturday and T&T's last group match versus Colombia on July 11.

The other two groups are USA, Canada, Costa Rica and Cuba in group B; and Mexico, Guatemala, South Africa, and Jamaica make up group C. The top two teams of the group plus the two best 3rd place teams advance to the quarterfinals on July 16 and 17 in Boston or Houston with the semi-finals (July 21) and final (July 24) billed for Giants Stadium in New Jersey.

Well, I have been to Miami before and also New Jersey and New York, but with some goals from Stern John, Cornell Glen, Silvio Spann, Aurtis Whitley/Otis Seaton or Carlos Edwards or some fancy outside right foot strike from "me mum" Chris Birchall and stout defending from Dog, Tallest, Avery, Atiba and Sancho, and of course some luck from the footballing gods, we have a chance to visit Boston or Houston for the first time, so come on T&T "we want ah goal". The thing is, the further T&T advance in the Gold Cup, the more expensive it gets for us. Travel, food, liming accommodation etc. But you know what?...this is what makes my days special, family, T&T, football, music, Brian Charles Lara, Latas, Ames, Brown, Burns, Manswell and Sinette, Rudder, Sparrow, bank payments, roti, calalloo...

We know a lot of people waiting to pound us if T&T exit after the group stage... "Das wha allyuh spen allyuh money on, ah tell yuh da team eh good " Say what, we know what the big picture is-the big picture looks something like Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne, Munich or Frankfurt, so this football travel trip for us is a warm-up for the real road test on the Autobahn. By that time all the doubters of T&T football will be there also with dey face paint and all that but for the Faithfulista...a journey is...a journey

Well, I hope we can share some great travel and football experiences with you readers over the next couple weeks. No predictions, we will leave that for the beautiful game itself. By the way do they have Crix and doubles in Miami? We trying to keep costs down later from the Faithfulista.

"Wherever we go everybody know we name 'T&T, T&T, T&T'".

The Faithfulista are trying to string some passes together!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 01:37:03 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Backing T&T all the way
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 11:54:14 AM »
Nice one, Big Magician!   8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline raj

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 12:02:16 PM »
  I really enjoyed that post Magician. Have fun and keep up the support.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 01:21:49 PM »
real real nice report, and expertly written
allyuh men have talent

have fun big and small magician, true trinis to the bone!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 05:46:08 AM »
ah love de post big magician ( and ah sure small man help out with ah ting or two in it :D)

It's reports like these that makes me feel that going to germany next year with the team is going to be a wonderful experience!

keep up the good work, cause i for one really appreciate this post!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 09:01:55 AM »
thanks guys....look for the next episode next thursday...in de sports mag....as you notice its being written from a traveling fans perspective...and not hardcore match reports....but it will have a bit of both...thanks guys....god bless tnt...tnt tnt tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 09:48:39 AM »
Big Magician,

Are you a musician? and do you have "Faithfulist" on the back of your jersey?

lastly you star in a warriors ad campaign?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 09:57:44 AM »
Big Magician,

Are you a musician? and do you have "Faithfulist" on the back of your jersey?

lastly you star in a warriors ad campaign?
Touches, yuh is ah modern day Sherlock Holmes. Dat is de man self.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 07:08:20 PM »
yes touches....but its faithfulista...and its on the front.....like sandanista..lol.....on the back its germany...06...god bless tnt tnt tnt

1]; } ?>