April 24, 2024, 12:17:52 AM

Author Topic: The SSFL can replicate Dom Basil Matthews' genius.  (Read 5442 times)

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
The SSFL can replicate Dom Basil Matthews' genius.
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:16:23 PM »
People are questioning whether there is an abundance of talent in Trinidad & Tobago football.
I believe the answer is yes!  Our problem is we have a deficit of coaching ability required to unearth that talent.

It was no accident that players like Leroy De leon, Warren Archibald, Jan Steadman, Lawrence Rondon, Wilfred  Cave, Leroy Spann, Leo Brewster, Steve David, Kenny Joseph, Dick Furlonge and others all represented Trinidad & Tobago in their teens from one school, St. Benedict's.  I believe this feat has not been replicated in fourty years.

These schoolboys had one thing in common, among others, they were coached by August Wooter from Surinam, followed by Amerigo Brunner from Hungary. The transformation of these 14 and 15 year olds was amazing, rest assured they did not play "slow football". They were inspired by their mentor, the late Dom Basil Matthews, Principal and founder of St Benedict College, La Romain.

Archibald, De Leon and Steve David went further to play alongside the World's best on NASL all star teams.   Archibald scored 58 goals in 162 games, De Leon scored 56 in 153 games and Steve David scored 100 goals in 175 games over his 8 season NASL career. He was ranked 8th overall in a league that  featured Chinaglia, Pele ,Georgie Best, Cubillas, Eusebio, Neeskens, Johan Cruff and Wim Rijsbergen. ;) 

How could one High School from La Romain, Trinidad, produce so many players capable of playing at the highest level in such a relatively short time-frame?

If Dom Basil Matthews had the foresight to take a leap of faith and make such an investment in 1964,  what is preventing our schools from replicating his courage and conviction?

The answer to our footballing woes is obviously coaching and  despite the presence of football schools in Trinidad & Tobago we are not seeing the desired results.

We have to improve on our coaching at the SSFL level in order to churn out  footballers capable of competing at the highest levels anywhere. A higher standard of play at the SSFL level  may have a spill over effect into our PFL league when these players graduate. Let us lift the standard of all of our SSFL teams and perhaps interest in Trinidad and Tobago football will see a resurgence.
Losing some players to foreign clubs may hurt, (this case is not unique to T & T), but we will continue to produce talented players.

If on the other hand our local SSFL coaches are not producing the De Leons and Archibalds, Cummings, Davids, Latapys, and Yorkes of tomorrow then we should follow Dom Basil's example and hire fully qualified foreign coaches , until our coaches step up. The schools should become part of the solution not part of the problem, especially since they were so vocal in their opposition to Anton's reported SSFL boycott.

Yes we do have the talent, but through poor administration and sub-par coaching, we have failed our youth in terms of  fully developing them.

Dom Basil has done it before, SSFL let's do it again!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League#NASL_yearly_statistical_leaders

http://home.att.net/~nasl/scorers.htm
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:08:13 AM by takenoprisoners »

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Re: Let us replicate Dom Basil's genius.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 07:24:07 PM »
Most people on this forum don't know who is Dom Basil. A boss player he was!!!

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

truetrini

Re: Let us replicate Dom Basil's genius.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 07:32:38 PM »
Most people on this forum don't know who is Dom Basil. A boss player he was!!!

Kingman
eh heh?  Dom basil was a good football player?  A boss player yuh say?

Look at me here, I never even know dat he kick ah football once in he life.  I thought he was a Benedictine Monk and he was ah good singer, I even thought he started the school up on de Mount.  I know he was ah vice president ah de TTFA, and dat he was ah lecturer all over de world and in T&T.

But ah ball player?

Yuh does learn something new everyday.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Let us replicate Dom Basil Matthews' genius.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 07:34:15 PM »
LEGACY OF DOM BASIL MATTHEWS

HE HAS LEFT HIS INDELIBLE MARK AS MONK, PRIEST, AUTHOR, FOOTBALL PIONEER, DEBATER, and EDUCATOR.

By Seigmund Assee

Trinidad Guardian

April 16, 1999

Page 27

Dom Basil Matthews received his secondary education at St Mary's College. After completing his studies at St Mary's, he entered the monastery at Mount St Benedict where he pursued studies for the priesthood.

In 1935, he was ordained priest in the Order of St Benedict, one of the first Trinidadians to be elected to that sacred office.

Gifted with a well-modulated singing voice, he often took the role of lead canto at solemn liturgical services at the monastery. From the earliest days of the establishment of the monastery, people from all over Trinidad and from all walks of life journeyed to 'the Mount' to seek advice from the monks on a variety of problems, many of them involving family issues.

As the monastery developed it became a virtual centre for counselling, even before that word became a common part of the local vocabulary.

Dom Basil was one of the assigned counsellors and his experiences in that role led to his publication of Crisis of the West Indian Family, one of the earliest sociological works on Caribbean family problems.

Dom Basil will be particularly remembered for two things. The first is his establishment of St Benedict's College and, through that school, his great contribution to local football.

The second accomplishment is his 1955 famous intellectual debate with Dr Eric Williams, which centered on the interpretation of Aristotle's "ideal state" and other relevant issues.

In 1953, Dom Basil saw the need for a school in La Romaine and laid the foundation for what evolved into St Benedict's College in 1956.

His main purpose in establishing the school, as he revealed afterwards, was "to cater for children from the countryside who could not make it out to town and did not have a chance at even passing the Common Entrance Examination."

He said that soon after starting the school he found that the children had talent but lacked a sense of self-worth because they lacked the opportunity of getting into a 'big school.'

He saw it as his job to build up their won self-respect and self-worth, and their motivation to exploit their human talents.

St Benedict's was the first composite school in the country, offering, in addition to the usual academic subjects, commerce, accounts, typewriting, and domestic science. Many observers scoffed at the introduction of these subjects in a 'college'.

Discovering musical talent among the students, Dom Basil introduced music into the curriculum, using English musical directors to lay the groundwork for that subject.

Major Rupert Dennison, former director of the Police Band, afterwards took up the position vacated by the departing expatriates.

The monk turned school principal also saw the value of sports for building the self-esteem of his students. The result was an impressive record in football, producing such national stars as Warren Archibald, De Leon, Steadman, David, Cupid, Reuben and others. It was the Dom's boast that they were exporting professionals to the soccer leagues in the United States.

In the 70's, 'the Dom' (short for Dominus, a title traditionally given to Benedictine priests) left for the United States to work in educational systems in the New York archdiocese.

He spent a year on a committee that looked after the economic upkeep of schools in New York. Also serving on that committee was the former US Secretary of State, Cyrus Vance.

During his stay in New York Talladega College, Alabama, he requested assistance for faculty relief.

He also did some work at Fordham University, one of the educational institutions at which he obtained one of his degrees.

With the emergence of the 'black is beautiful concept,' Howard University requested Dom Basil's services to develop an "intellectual academic base for the integration of black experience into the curriculum of the University".

While working on that project, he was assigned to the Graduate School of Social Work where he was Chairman of Human Behaviour in the Social Environment, and later Chairman of the Graduate Studies at the School of Communications involving print and broadcast media.

He also lectured at various Universities across the United States. After an absence of eight years abroad, Dom Basil returned home, worked as an executive with Motilal Moonan, and in 1980 announced the founding of an Institute of Human Relations.

The purpose of the institute was to serve as "consultants and training officers in the area of management development in business, industry, education and sport."

"One of his main ideas was to show that there was a relationship between the Trinidad work ethic and productivity."

He refuted the argument being propagated by some that the Trinidadian worker was lazy, pointing to productivity in large oil corporations and Carnival, and the diligence of Trinidadians in the US and Canada.

In 1981, news was received in Trinidad that Pope John Paul II had consented to an application by Dom Basil made three years previously for a release from his priestly vows. The application had been forwarded through Archbishop Anthony Pantin and Abbot Hildebrand Greene of the Abbey at Mount St Benedict.

Apart from a few visits back home, the former monk spent most of his time in the United States. He died there at a nursing home on April 7, after a long illness. He was 87.

Apart from his principalship at St Benedict's College, he taught for several years at the Abbey School at Mt St Benedict, and was a lecturer for the Extra Mural Department of the University of the West Indies at St Augustine.

He also served as a vice-president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association for several years. May he rest in peace.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 07:38:44 PM »
Slow football.  If yuh compare Brazil to England, Brazil does play slow football but who does get cut arse?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 01:14:08 PM by Savannah boy »

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »
ok, some eh see nowhere in dat article where he was ah big baller.

sorry. He was ah legend in T&T but not becasue ah waht he ever did on the playing field...to the best of my limited knowledge anyway.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:35:06 AM »

sorry. He was ah legend in T&T but not becasue ah waht he ever did on the playing field...to the best of my limited knowledge anyway.

Ok, you making it sound as if I stated he was more known for his football contribution than a priest, counsellors etc ?  ::)  I stated that he was a boss baller. Regardless of if he made more important contribution to the country as a priest and counsellor, that not going to change the fact that he did make a good contribution as a baller. What is really your point anyways?   ??? ::)

Kingman
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:40:42 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

TrinInfinite

Re: The SSFL should replicate Dom Basil Matthews' genius.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 11:10:33 AM »
Slow football. If yuh compare Brazil to England, Brazil does play slow football but who does get arse?

bredda, man on this board obsessed with epl football, dey feel all football must be played fast for it to be effective and skillful... ::)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 11:14:25 AM by TrinInfinite »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 12:57:55 PM »
I eh tryin to start nutten..but Dom Basil play football?  I hear nuff beendict's stories from mih uncle because I went Pres and he feel we sorf but I never hear nutten about Dom Basil playing football....Kingman wha yuh mean by he was ah boss baller..yuh mean he kick ball or he developed football at Benedict's? 

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 03:37:58 PM »

Ok, you making it sound as if I stated he was more known for his football contribution than a priest, counsellors etc ?  ::)  I stated that he was a boss baller. Regardless of if he made more important contribution to the country as a priest and counsellor, that not going to change the fact that he did make a good contribution as a baller. What is really your point anyways?   ??? ::)

Kingman

Point is yuh never make mention of any of his real accomplishments, yuh simply say day he was a boss player and dat many here did not know dis.

So I asked if he did.  I said yuh does learn something everyday on dis forum..so what is your point?

steups.  so what yuh mean he make contribution as a baller? ::) ::)

From what I hear de man never kick ah lime in he life. ::)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 05:00:53 PM »
ah have tuh belive Kingman must be talking bout Basil Ince or some other Basil yes lol
and the way Kingman say it, yuh coulda swear dey used tuh sweat together   :rotfl:

Kingman, maybe yuh should read what yuh copy and paste first  ;)
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 05:16:41 PM »
 :rotfl:

look ticket sharing ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline spiritedfan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 06:37:04 PM »
I agree 100% i trully believe one of our major problems in Trinidad and Tobago's footbal is coaching. I was wondering why italy won the world cup and when i went over their games one by one i realised that marcello lippi made good calls all round  to help them lift the thropy and that is what Trinidad needs to take our football to a next level

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The SSFL can replicate Dom Basil Matthews' genius.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 02:04:16 PM »
take no prisoners has brought up a very good point, we do not seem to care to duplicate positive systems of the past that worked ,for instance we were once per capita one of the strongest olympic weight liftiing naons in the world ,our first olympic medals came in this sport it is now non existant ,the organisation of netball under made us world champions we now have no oorganisation.another thing with my beloved country we never seem too lionise our real heros such as dom basil matthews .

1]; } ?>