April 29, 2024, 05:21:56 AM

Author Topic: Bora impressed with Boyz...calls for patience  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bora impressed with Boyz...calls for patience
« on: November 17, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »
Patience the key, says Bora
published: Friday | November 17, 2006

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

REGGAE BOYZ technical director designate, Velibor 'Bora' Miluti-novic, was not only impressed with the team's attitude, but believes the members showed a lot of potential in a 1-1 come-from-behind draw against Peru at the National Stadium, on Wednesday night.

However, Milutinovic believes that patience will be key as the team embarks upon its bid for a place in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa - commonly referred to as the 'Back to Africa' campaign.

"They showed a lot of potential and more importantly very good attitude, but the most important thing is that we be patient." Milutinovic said.

"I was also impressed with their speed and I think that they are technically good, however, we must be patient and there is a lot of work to be done," said Milutinovic, who also had his technical crew on hand recording the game.

With the 2010 World Cup now less than four years away, the debate rages on as to whether the Reggae Boyz will be among 32 finalists that will line up when the tournament kicks off on African soil for the first time. Since their historic qualification for the 1998 tournament, Jamaica have been in the football wilderness.

Unimpressive results

The team has not only missed out on the past two tournaments, but a spate of unimpressive results - the most memorable being a 6-0 pounding by World Cup quarter-finalists, England, back in June, suggests that it might miss out on a third.

However, after watching a team that was still not at its best with first-string players Claude Davis, Ricardo Gardner, Damion Stewart, Jason Euell, Damani Ralph, and striker Marlon King missing, Milutinovic believes that there is plenty of time to develop a solid squad.

"We have time to prepare a good team, looking at the quality right now even without all the player's here. We must believe that the team will do well," he said.

"When you have time you need to build confidence, put in the work and everything should be OK," the naturalised Mexican added.

The 62-year-old Yugoslavia-born Milutinovic boasts an impressive resume. He is the only technical director to have coached five different teams at the World Cup - Mexico (1986), Costa Rica (1990), the United States (1994), Nigeria (1998), and China (2002) and is also the first coach to take four different teams beyond the first round. Milutinovic's contract will span the next four years and has been estimated at about US$1 million per year.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Bora impressed with Boyz...calls for patience
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:44:48 AM »
it really sound like THIS ONE real important to the Boyz dreadlocks.  It sound to me like if they make this one and fail to make the next 3, the people go still be happy.  In that case I could only hope the very best for the BOyz and really hope that it have room in concacaf for the both of us.

Offline goodfootball171267

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica - "Back To Africa"
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:12:08 AM »
Marketing Genius ... fantastic way to get additional hype in the bid for 2010.  Soon everybody go be using that.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:21:10 AM »
Yuh know wha dis reminding me of? There was a book by C.E. Palmer ...the same man who wrote "Beppo Tate" talking about two rival villages who had boys from their village returning from world war 2........and their efforts to outdo each other and the sabotage etc that occured. I cant remember the exact name...but the main character was a drunkard named toni or something so. Like is a Jamacian thing to try to out do their neighbours or wha?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:54:53 AM »
Yuh know wha dis reminding me of? There was a book by C.E. Palmer ...the same man who wrote "Beppo Tate" talking about two rival villages who had boys from their village returning from world war 2........and their efforts to outdo each other and the sabotage etc that occured. I cant remember the exact name...but the main character was a drunkard named toni or something so. Like is a Jamacian thing to try to out do their neighbours or wha?

huh  ??? ??? ???

somebody always hadda drop de hate on a JA thread  :-\. How does JA wanting to qualify for the WC have anything to do with T&T and WC 2006? Every team wants to go to the WC...every time..no matter what. Like Bounty Killer say, it would be nice if we both qualify.

Jamaica will be a very good side under Multinovic. Plenty of talent to choose from and fast, technical, fearless players. Good luck...Would love to see a full strength T&T vs full strength JA right now. Oh gorm..how dat eh get arrange yet? (Rhetorical question  ;))

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:04:38 AM »

huh  ??? ??? ???

somebody always hadda drop de hate on a JA thread  :-\. How does JA wanting to qualify for the WC have anything to do with T&T and WC 2006? Every team wants to go to the WC...every time..no matter what. Like Bounty Killer say, it would be nice if we both qualify.

Jamaica will be a very good side under Multinovic. Plenty of talent to choose from and fast, technical, fearless players. Good luck...Would love to see a full strength T&T vs full strength JA right now. Oh gorm..how dat eh get arrange yet? (Rhetorical question  ;))

No brother...understand what i saying. Look at the difference in the drive and zeal in the preparation for this world cup in relation to the last one. Planning from long time......making sure things in order. Amazing. Few can really say that the so-called rivalry not a major part of this zeal. I just noticed it and found it interesting.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:10:25 AM »
Good post dey Filho.

I really wish Ja had made it to the Digicel finals.
Bora would have been happy with that.

I just hope the Jamaicans keep in the back of their mind that Bora is not a miracle worker and an automatic qualifying ticket for South Africa in the form of a hefty four year salary and Lada car, he did fail with Honduras just recently.

But at the end of the day, the top teams in CONCACAF will definitely be taking note of this development.

No matter what anyone say and Digicel Cup, etc etc, there are 2 real and genuine threats for WC spots for 2010 from the Caribbean, and it is not the Haitis and Cubas.

Lets see how Ja does over the next 12 months now, lord knows they needed help....

I foresee a garguantan battle in 2 years time between T&T and Ja, whether it be Digicel, Gold Cup, WCQ, etc etc.

Bourbon, u also right....By virtue of T&T qualifying for the WC, the stakes raised now for Ja.

We always have to set the pace eh... ;D

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 09:28:23 AM »

What you mean Jamaica trying to out do Trinidad? I'll take it one step further and say we also trying to out do USA, Costa Rica, Mexico, Honduras etc etc.
I doubt Crentson Boxhill, as dumb as he is, would ever try to model Jamaica's push for Africa off T&T's last world cup appearance...

Having said that, I am pretty sure boxhill might be kicking himself at the fact that a team as talented as Jamaica was, didnt make the world cup finals....while a team who was struggling in the early rounds (losing heavily to guatemala etc) was able to make it....so  iguess your raguement does hold some water.

Set the pace? you forgetting that Jamaica played at France'98, scored three goals and won one match?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 09:34:10 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 09:32:23 AM »
Good post dey Filho.

I really wish Ja had made it to the Digicel finals.
Bora would have been happy with that.

I just hope the Jamaicans keep in the back of their mind that Bora is not a miracle worker and an automatic qualifying ticket for South Africa in the form of a hefty four year salary and Lada car, he did fail with Honduras just recently.

But at the end of the day, the top teams in CONCACAF will definitely be taking note of this development.

No matter what anyone say and Digicel Cup, etc etc, there are 2 real and genuine threats for WC spots for 2010 from the Caribbean, and it is not the Haitis and Cubas.

Lets see how Ja does over the next 12 months now, lord knows they needed help....

I foresee a garguantan battle in 2 years time between T&T and Ja, whether it be Digicel, Gold Cup, WCQ, etc etc.

Bourbon, u also right....By virtue of T&T qualifying for the WC, the stakes raised now for Ja.

We always have to set the pace eh... ;D

Trini, no one expcets a miracle from Bora. Last time around the JFF waited until the last minute to hire a competent coach, and brought in Lazaroni only a matter of montsh before the start of the campaign...this time around, we have brought in possibly a better coach...and has given him 4 years within which to mold his squad

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 09:32:48 AM »
I doh care wat JA does.  I care about what T&T does.

And we not settin no pace, JA qualified b4 us.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 10:33:19 AM »

huh  ??? ??? ???

No brother...understand what i saying. Look at the difference in the drive and zeal in the preparation for this world cup in relation to the last one. Planning from long time......making sure things in order. Amazing. Few can really say that the so-called rivalry not a major part of this zeal. I just noticed it and found it interesting.

Cool. I hear yuh. I am sure that T&T qualifying did not go 'unnoticed' by our neighbors...But why assume it is any different from how we would have felt when JA qualified for WC1998? It definitely strengthened the belief that we had it in us to qualify..but I don't think there was ever a collective sentiment of needing to outdo them (not a vocal one anyway). I highly doubt Jamaica's prep for this WC campaign would have been any different had T&T not qualified for WC 2006. I also highly doubt that you really know that much about the details of JA's prep for WC 2006, or WC 2002 to be making those comparisons....

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 01:41:17 PM »
I have no doubt Bora has what it takes to take Jamaica to the next WC. But my question is, will Bora stay 4 years???? Like T&T the people on top like to put they hand in everything, will they shut up and let him do his ob, or will he leave like how he left Hondouras ? ...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 02:11:16 PM »
Careful Bora tun into Borat.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

TrinInfinite

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 02:19:38 PM »

What you mean Jamaica trying to out do Trinidad? I'll take it one step further and say we also trying to out do USA, Costa Rica, Mexico, Honduras etc etc.
I doubt Crentson Boxhill, as dumb as he is, would ever try to model Jamaica's push for Africa off T&T's last world cup appearance...

Having said that, I am pretty sure boxhill might be kicking himself at the fact that a team as talented as Jamaica was, didnt make the world cup finals....while a team who was struggling in the early rounds (losing heavily to guatemala etc) was able to make it....so  iguess your raguement does hold some water.

Set the pace? you forgetting that Jamaica played at France'98, scored three goals and won one match?

i doubt tt afraid or fear our little brothers JA, bc we iz de godfather of the caribbean, so it will be a grande occasion to send ja home and yet another failed wc attempt, if we get tings in order we will be qualifying once more and ja and dem will be fighting for the illustrious 4th spot if it exists, if not JA will be very sad tuh see us go to south africa... hard luck JA and mr bullahfan, we almost drew england and could have beat dem, how much JA lose to england by? ??? :devil:

God is de BOSS....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:21:36 PM by TrinInfinite »

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 02:32:50 PM »
Ja set the pace?
First WC yes I agree.

But I have a hypothesis that Ja is currently ~10 years behind T&T in terms of football hitory.

What u are going through now, we went though all of the 90's.

When T&T was drawing 1-1 with the US in LA in WCQ 1989, Ja was being beaten 5-0 by this same US outfit in earlier rounds.
Whose momentum u think forced the CFU to re-introduce the Shell caribbean Cup in 1989?
Whose WC (senior strike squad and U20 World Cup qualification in 1991) drives gave Ja the blueprint and motivation for their programme of the mid-90's?
When you exported your first prodcut (Gardner) to play football overseas, we already had a full 18 man team that was playing in the UK.
And I wouldnt even get into T&T players who have played in the European Champions League, UEFA Cups and Domestic Cup Finals.

Now u are seeing the downside of having so called 'stars that play overseas and an abundance of talent'.

Join the club.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 02:36:22 PM »
Marlon king thats a brute of  STRIKER good pickup boyz

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 02:41:32 PM »
Ja set the pace?
First WC yes I agree.

But I have a hypothesis that Ja is currently ~10 years behind T&T in terms of football hitory.

What u are going through now, we went though all of the 90's.

When T&T was drawing 1-1 with the US in LA in WCQ 1989, Ja was being beaten 5-0 by this same US outfit in earlier rounds.
Whose momentum u think forced the CFU to re-introduce the Shell caribbean Cup in 1989?
Whose WC (senior strike squad and U20 World Cup qualification in 1991) drives gave Ja the blueprint and motivation for their programme of the mid-90's?
When you exported your first prodcut (Gardner) to play football overseas, we already had a full 18 man team that was playing in the UK.
And I wouldnt even get into T&T players who have played in the European Champions League, UEFA Cups and Domestic Cup Finals.

Now u are seeing the downside of having so called 'stars that play overseas and an abundance of talent'.

Join the club.

Jamaica took a totally different route to the world cup than that taken by T&T during the Strike Squad days.   In fact, one cuold argue that it was simoes success with Jamaica that prompted Warener to bring in Beenhakker....a move which bore handsome fruits

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »
Marlon king thats a brute of  STRIKER good pickup boyz

the man hit a first half hatrick vs haiti in our last world cup qualifying..and then wen to el Slavador the following week score once, hit the cross-bar 3 times.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 02:53:15 PM »
I have no doubt Bora has what it takes to take Jamaica to the next WC. But my question is, will Bora stay 4 years???? Like T&T the people on top like to put they hand in everything, will they shut up and let him do his ob, or will he leave like how he left Hondouras ? ...

Simoes tayed 4 years, why wouldnt Bora? Jamaicaans are no more demanding than people from Mexico, Costa Rica, China

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 02:55:47 PM »

i doubt tt afraid or fear our little brothers JA, bc we iz de godfather of the caribbean, so it will be a grande occasion to send ja home and yet another failed wc attempt, if we get tings in order we will be qualifying once more and ja and dem will be fighting for the illustrious 4th spot if it exists, if not JA will be very sad tuh see us go to south africa... hard luck JA and mr bullahfan, we almost drew england and could have beat dem, how much JA lose to england by? ??? :devil:

God is de BOSS....

Yuh always bitter eh man? you suffereing from some form of mental illness or something?

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 03:23:58 PM »
I am not saying they are more demanding, but people like to interfere... Why did Simoes leave????

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »
I am not saying they are more demanding, but people like to interfere... Why did Simoes leave????

Same reason Beenhakker left. Simoes contract was for 4 years..he served it out.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 03:58:36 PM »

Wrong Reggaefan! Simones went to coach T&T for the 2002 World Cup.
jjbrown

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 04:42:26 PM »

you knocked your head. Simoes left Jamaica and got a job with a top Brazilain club..I believe flamengo...then later coached T&T...sometime around 2000/2001. However, he found it very hard to get T&T to qualify for the world cup...the basic ingredients for world cup qualification was missing in T&T  ;D

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 05:26:13 PM »

you knocked your head. Simoes left Jamaica and got a job with a top Brazilain club..I believe flamengo...then later coached T&T...sometime around 2000/2001. However, he found it very hard to get T&T to qualify for the world cup...the basic ingredients for world cup qualification was missing in T&T  ;D
You mean T&T didn't have the main ingredients to beat the REGGAE BOYZ in both legs of the qualifiers.  ;D :devil:
jjbrown

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »
Noting how we improved under the tutelage of Beenie Man, Bora has a better chance with a full four years to work with.  Anyone on this site doubting that there is talent in Ja team have their head stuck in the sand or blinded by some foolish rivalry.  The inclusion of the Ja players in foreign makes ths a team to reckon with.

Blessings.
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 05:52:55 PM »
Noting how we improved under the tutelage of Beenie Man, Bora has a better chance with a full four years to work with.  Anyone on this site doubting that there is talent in Ja team have their head stuck in the sand or blinded by some foolish rivalry.  The inclusion of the Ja players in foreign makes ths a team to reckon with.

Blessings.

Well....we won't get to see them in any meaningful competition anytime soon.

No Digicel Cup

No Gold Cup

Perhaps they can get past the first round of WCQ's.

Getting to the Hex will be the next goal.  But I'm getting way ahead of myself.  This is Jamaica we talkin about here.  Let's see if they can beat SVG first.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

TrinInfinite

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 06:18:38 PM »

God is de BOSS....

Yuh always bitter eh man? you suffereing from some form of mental illness or something?

i bitter? :rotfl: your the one hating on tt every chance you get, jealous we make the WC, mental illness i doubt that bredda, however i must say marlon king is a boss, i like how he does play, if only we can get zamora to equal the situation

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 06:20:30 PM »

we may well end up having to play JA  in the semi final round before  in the hex so time to prepare
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 06:26:03 PM »

simone took over when we eliminated  afer we lost to honduras we have to play USA and JA in POS.. BUT RF funny thing is yorke and latapy  quit the team  imagine if they had stayed and trained in tnt that whole weak... because you all were out played in that game...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>