April 28, 2024, 06:51:05 AM

Author Topic: Our reactive government!  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Our reactive government!
« on: November 17, 2006, 07:44:34 AM »
Now this is just my opnion, throught observations..and i eh ave no fact to back it up.
It seems to me that our government just reacts to situations and tries to fix them after the fact.
I argee that this is necessary but whjat i am getting at is that thye dont seem to be really good at predicting.
Financial people have been crying about the infaltion rate for years now..btu it only seems that they government is making any effort after it is a problem.
Highway and road problem is another example
i eh even wah tlka baout crime.
I wonder if countries that ahve a more stable economy and government and system(eg. scandanavian countries) look fwd..
just my opnion

Cabinet is banking on the issue of $2.5 billion in Government bonds to help reduce the country's 9.6 per cent rate of inflation before the end of the year.

During the post-Cabinet news conference at Whitehall, Port of Spain, yesterday, Minister in the Ministry of Finance Conrad Enill said: "In so far as inflation management was concerned, Cabinet took the decision to approve the issue of a series of short- to medium-term bonds to be made available to the market to the sum of $2.5 billion, the first tranche to be $700 million with an eight-year tenure," Enill said.

"This has come about as a result of discussions with the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago and the Ministry of Finance about the levels of liquidity within the system and the resulting effect that this was having on fuelling inflation."

"Another issue is a window for individuals and smaller companies and institutions by way of a non-competitive bid in the amounts of $1,000. Of course, the major bond issue will be done through the auction system that we have established," Enill said.

"It is expected that the bonds in tandem with the short-term treasury notes and issues would help to absorb excess liquidity in the system and in addition would contribute further to the development of the domestic capital market. This is an intervention we believe the market place has been waiting on and we expect that it will provide us with the relief we are looking for."

He said the first $700 million tranche of the new bond issues will be floated "presumably" before the end of this month.

Asked how soon after the bond issue did Government anticipate a reduction in the inflation rate, Enill said: "Almost immediately. Well, according to the last report I saw from the Central Bank, it says that consumer spending was starting to trend downwards which was one of the issues we had and, therefore, we believe we have evidence, that some of the things we are doing is in fact reducing some of the pressure," he said.

$2.5b in bonds to reduce inflation
$700m tranche at month's end
Juhel Browne jbrowne@trinidadexpress.com
Friday, November 17th 2006
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Our reactive government!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:54:59 AM »
Milton Freidmen died yesterday (at 94)

He is seen as one of the greated economist off al time.  Many ppl contribuet de general prosperity in the West to governments adopting some of his teachings

Maybe T&T should read his books again .
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 07:57:07 AM »
wah bout Warren Buffet...i buy he book an it fat no arse.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:05:26 AM »
wah bout Warren Buffet...i buy he book an it fat no arse.

al de profits from dat book going to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation ...

maybe T& should apply for help from Bill, Melinda and Warren
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

1]; } ?>