March 19, 2024, 01:03:09 AM

Author Topic: D Touches Match Observation Strike Squad vs USA  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
D Touches Match Observation Strike Squad vs USA
« on: November 20, 2006, 07:36:30 AM »
Dear Forumites,

Because I real like football and I like to see a TT side at any opportunity, I went down to the stadium on Sun evening for what I anticipated to be a glorified fete match.

There was plenty hype before the game, plenty ads, good marketing and yes I even participated in a radio call in show. So I was a bit surprised to see the crowd or lack thereof.

Folks this game buss bad. If there were 1000 people present they had plenty, but for those who were there they were treated to some nice entertaining football.

The cars that were parked in and around the stadium belonged to people who were either attending a prayer rally in the Jean Pierre Complex or a Bazaar in the St John Ambulance grounds.....chain up number one.

After purchasing my tickets,.which were the expensive electronic credit card types. I walked in easy with no line.....and this was at 4:15.

After puchasing the customary pie and stag, I went upstairs only to be greeted with blue seats and hot sun. I could have sat anywhere, but the sun was deadly and "in meh eye" so I opted for the shade near the corner flag in the visitors away section with my back to the sun.

Above the Tunnel had a big sign...ROAD TO ITALY and I real laughed at that. I ent know where they pull dat from but it looked good.

Folks picture this, the average demographic was a ole man in his 40's upwards, some taking along their now 12 yr old son to share the experience. All of them in some kinda Strike Squad jersey, all in a cap and last but not least a parasol to protect against the elements. This generation of fans had their wife with them who were also quite knowledgeable of the game and the amount of cuss, commentary and picong that was shared by all in the stands was truly entertaining. As one fella put it, "This Strike Squad was special, and dem fellas put more joy into TT and I rate them higher than Socawarriors"

Anyway after the anthems, both teams lined up in a 4-4-2 formation. Usa in a white and blue kit and TT in a special kit. Folks picture this....a white JErsey with the bamboo patch print on the front, red sleeves, black pants and white socks, but they hada kinda reflector thing over the jersey pants and socks that make the uniform look like a Carnival costume. The men shining like Christmas tree on the field.

The STrike Squad like they were training and since the WIPA game them fellas lorse they belley and get some more speed. The Americans all have baldhead, they real big and they real fat. Age has been kinder to the Strike Squad.

Tweet game starts...TT with Maurice in goal, back 4 of Williams, Morris, Francis and Faustin, middle of Elliot Allen on the wing, Jamerson and Larry Joseph Center and Hutson Charles on the right. Up front Philbert Jones and Leonson Lewis.

Well the Yanks get a foul after one min and a free kick from the top of the box is floated wide. The man near the wing heads the ball back across the goal and Paul Caliguri traps the ball on his chest, turns and volleys a bullet past brow from 10 yards out up in the V.

Well boy talk about laugh in the stadium. Man start to cuss, when they announce the goal scorer people steups and say is deja vu all over again and is a one nil again. Talk bout kicks.

Then the lines man on our side was giving plenty trouble, the man making one setta jokey call and is fuss he get talk.

about 12 min later TT gets a kinda attack. A shot comes in and Meola flaps at it, the ball hits the post, it scrambles and then Philbert Pelts his frame and gets a toe to it to put it past Meola. 1-1 and the crowd going wild. Tassa start to pound and people now start to feel good.

After that the game is at walking pace and the Yanks in total control. Some nice walking pace knock and flick, good one twos and TT just cyar come out they half. Paul Elliot ALLen real pull stones on the wing and Larry Joseph was gettin shut down in the middle. The only passing TT did was in the back amongst the 4 and Williams still could rough up a man and rest slide tackle on them. The Rasta only hitting man BLADE.
Elliot Allen was replaced by Nixon on the wing and it is from this sub that the Strike squad looked more lively. Morris or Franics hit a 30 yard bullet towards the USA goal and Philbert Jones still fell down many times in front the box.

AT the half with the scored locked at 1-1 the DJ gave us a moment down memory lane playing football dance and Road to italy. Some people were seen skanting the football dance and it was a real nice lively atmosphere among the 1000 of us present. I moved across to the half line and when the teams came back onto the field the subs were the difference as the strike squad came to life.

The second goal was a real beauty and class piece of finishing. Leonson lewis was being marked by a defender and got the ball played to him about mid thigh. He leans into the defender, screens and turns while kinda squatting/leaning on the defender and when he rounds his man a clinical left footed curler into the corner giving meola no chance....What a goal and TT 2-1 up.

When the second goal came a man in the crowd jump up and bawl loud loud...."WE GOING ITALY!"

AFter that The Yanks just were Bun and TT started making the changes, Angus Eve came orn, I cyar remember the rest of subs but the 3rd TT goal came after a cross on the wing. A defender clears the ball and it bobbles up near the top of the area. An onrushing Jerren Nixon hits a low bullet with aplomb from 18 yards and it flies into the corner, TT 3-1 up and the game looking safe.

After that the USA players subbed theyself and came back orn after recovering. The final goal came courtesy some neat passing. A long ball beats the defence and a player that is offside bends down his head and walks pass the ball ignoring it. A overlapping Marvin faustin blows up the line and whips in a low cross to be met by Angus Eve who slots it past meola in the 18 yard box.

4-1 and with 5 min to go the game was over as a contest.

Some observations....The Yanks was handling us but the heat and lack of subs kill them. They had a good touch and were more creative in their passing and movement off the ball.

Nixon and Eve look like any other player on the field, people in the crowd were shouting at them to help the side as they younger and were up to recently  playing pro ball.

The strike squad players have better technique and are more comfortable on the ball than their younger counterparts. They also have not lost the art of striking the ball well as many crosses, passes and shots to goal were crisp and on target.

The TT strike squad tabanca and memories shall still remain even to this day.

Till next time.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 07:42:42 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: D Touches Match Observation Strike Squad vs USA
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 07:40:37 AM »
Thanks bro.  Guess yuh eh see de Fatima vs Mucurapo match eh.  Was hopin fuh one a yuh reports from dat game too.

BTW....nice job on Andre Baptiste show on Saturday.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:44:33 AM »
Sorry bout that one Palos I had to go to the airport to pick up my family who were at the game.

I real vex I ent see us beat Compre. I will try for the other matches and the Jamaica game in a few weeks.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:04:26 AM »
Thanks for the report as usual breds  :beermug:

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:08:12 AM »
mooch ass grassy ass touches
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:11:15 AM »
Cheers Touches :beermug: :beermug:

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »
Thanx for the report as usual... As palos say, ah was hoping for a Fatima vs Mucarapo low down, but ah cyah be greedy....Thanx

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:41:02 AM »
Touches boy..if you start to digicam dem descriptions...somebody go give yuh ah wukk oui

Nice one  :beermug:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »
good report thanks

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 09:10:27 AM »
That was excellent,thanks Breds.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 10:24:54 AM »
Nice report as per usual. When I saw on the MB that Caliguri score I could not believe it.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 10:26:53 AM »
thanks for the report  :beermug: :beermug:

i just hope someone record de game....i wanna see it for myself and so does meh fadda.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Trini_fan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 11:44:41 AM »
Nice as usual touches :applause: :applause:

I guess we need to qualify for the WC again before the waggonist some out dey house and support some games.  >:(

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 12:23:24 PM »
Paul Elliot ALLen real pull stones on the wing....

I guess nothing aint change, he pull real stones then and he still pulling stones now.

Thanks Touches. 

Ah sorry to hear about the poor turnout.  Maybe some folks still aint ready to relive that game and the rest too young to really understand what it is was like.

Blessings

Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »
Yes how could I forget about Paul Elliot Allen my mother could not believe that he started in front of Hudson Charles. I guess he play rubbish Caliguri score just like 19/11/89.

As for the attendance the price had alot to do with it
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 01:31:45 PM »
Thanks as usual man....

4-1 oui! That is what I thought we would rest on them 17 years ago, oh well.

Its amazing the attraction the strike squad still holds to this day.

I am sure in 50 years time, we might be remembering them more than the socawarriors.

Classic case of becoming bigger than life by heartbreak. If they had drawn with the US then, I wonder if they would have been held in such reverence now.

This whole week on CNC and CH4, they was showing extended highlights of that era, i hadda admit, them fellas used to play real attractive football. If attractive football, skills and flairwon games, they would crucify the socawarriors. I wonder if we could ever play like that again but qualify for the WC as well..

1]; } ?>