April 29, 2024, 06:05:07 AM

Author Topic: Caribbean Airlines gives up London.  (Read 9156 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Caribbean Airlines gives up London.
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:48:25 AM »
Caribbean Airlines gives up London.
T&T Guardian Reports.
[/size]

The new year will see Caribbean Airlines pulling out of its London routes. It is understood that the airline, which will take over from BWIA on January 1, is trading in its valuable Heathrow spots to British Airways (BA) in favour of a code-sharing agreement with BA to Gatwick.
In a release issued yesterday, Caribbean Airlines said the current schedule between Port-of-Spain and Heathrow would continue until March 27. The airline did not say what would happen to the Heathrow flights after that date, but sources said the airline would stop flying to Heathrow after March 27.
While BWIA had stopped its service to Manchester, Heathrow remained one of its most profitable routes.
Caribbean Airlines CEO Peter Davies has said the airline, which takes the place of BWIA on January 1, would be cutting down on the number of fights when it is launched. Davies, though, had declined to say whether the Heathrow route would form part of Caribbean Airlines’ schedule.
The code-sharing deal with British Airways between Port-of-Spain and Gatwick begins March 28.

Under the agreement:

n Caribbean Airlines’ flight code will be placed on British Airways services from Port-of-Spain, Barbados and Antigua.

n The Port-of-Spain to Gatwick flights will be offered every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.

n On all other days, a connecting service between Port-of-Spain and London via Barbados can be booked with Caribbean Airlines.

“Caribbean Airlines is delighted to partner with the prestigious world class carrier British Airways to service this important route from Port-of-Spain to London,” Davies said yesterday.
Caribbean Airlines’ customers will be able to redeem frequent flyer rewards on the London flights. Caribbean Airlines is working to extend this programme to the wider British Airways’ global network, targeted for later next year. Caribbean Airlines will accommodate all passengers currently booked on BWIA.
T&T wins destination of the year.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Known for its booming energy and manufacturing industries, T&T is carving out an international reputation as an award winning tourist destination.
This country’s presentation at the World Travel Market (WTM), which included live entertainment, models in Carnival costumes, a book launch, product sampling and displays from local resorts and tour operators, was commended by visitors to the trade show.
Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz praised T&T’s presence at the WTM, hosted in London, England, as superior to New York’s—which he criticised as unimaginative.
“Trinidad had an unbelievable booth with a full band,” Markowitz reportedly told the Brooklyn media.
At the recently concluded WTM, T&T beat out neighbours Jamaica, Barbados and a host of other countries to win Destination of the Year at the Caribbean Travel and Property Awards and World’s Leading Ecotourism Destination (Tobago Main Ridge Rain Forest).
Also taking a place in winner’s row was T&T’s Tourism Development Company (TDC). The TDC was voted the Most Outstanding Caribbean Tourist Board for 2006, at the Caribbean Hotel Association Crystal Palm Awards for Excellence.
The Crystal Palm Awards for Excellence recognises members of the tourism industry who have performed with distinction in their efforts to develop and promote tourism to the Caribbean from the UK and Europe. Winners were selected based on votes cast by Caribbean hoteliers, tourist boards, tour operators and trade publications from the UK and Europe.
Also coming in for high praise at the WTM was the Travel Foundation Tobago, which received a commendation from the First Choice Responsible Tourism Awards as Best Destination, and Coco Reef Resort, Tobago, which won the Caribbean's Leading Hotel award.
More than 35 companies, including Coco Reef Hotel, Grafton Beach Resort, and Caribbean Airlines (BWIA), represented T&T at the WTM.
Staged annually in London, the WTM is one of the largest trade shows of its type and brings together hundreds of travel agents, tour operators, members of the hotel sector and other stakeholders in the industry from all over the world. Last year 48,211 travel industry professionals representing 202 countries participated in the event.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 06:12:57 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Caribbean Airlines gives up London.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 10:43:16 AM »

It was making money but they cancel it?
The only thing I can think of is that they want to use their planes for other routes...maybe even change their fleet to make it smaller for intra Caribbean travel.

We still in the dark as to their destinations...other than NA.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:49:17 AM »
I thought Virgin woulda get dat route yes.  Ah figured dey woulda get outta London and sell de Heathrow route to somebody but de amounta time ah see Virgin owner Sir Richard whaever he name is playin mas in T&T as say dat route book fuh Virgin.
Real change mus be pass.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »
At least people who fedup wid Bwee no longer hafta fly via the US to avoid flying wid dem. BA won't f**k us up same way Bwee did..

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 07:23:41 AM »
I eh know why CA eh be the first Caribbean carrier to offer a flight out of western Canada. Start in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and then straight home.......

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 09:43:28 AM »
I eh know why CA eh be the first Caribbean carrier to offer a flight out of western Canada. Start in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and then straight home.......

Dey cyah maintain costs if de kinda plane dat needed to go dat distance only carryin a maximum of 50 passengers once a year in February.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:49:20 AM »

Dey cyah maintain costs if de kinda plane dat needed to go dat distance only carryin a maximum of 50 passengers once a year in February.

Calgary has a once a week flight to Jamaica, but its a tourist flight
This may work if it started in Vancouver, hit Edmonton OR Calgary en enroute once a week service for seasonal service and dey make some tour packages to Tobago for the tourists......but we know it eh go happen

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 11:08:21 AM by ricky »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »

IF there is a direct flight from JA to T&T (real weird it doesn't have one now eh)...then allyuh could connect in JA.

But why de arse would they fly direct from T&T to Western Canada...nobody living dey...it only have moose   :devil:

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 12:41:49 PM »

IF there is a direct flight from JA to T&T (real weird it doesn't have one now eh)...then allyuh could connect in JA.

But why de arse would they fly direct from T&T to Western Canada...nobody living dey...it only have moose   :devil:

moose and Alberta Trini ;)
The flight from Western Canada to Jamaica is the same cost as to Trinidad from here .  It would be plenty more to go through jam cause you would have to go on seperate carriers and book a nex $300 flight to jamaica .....i done check all that already  :beermug:

Alberta and Palos...the best way is to go to TO and get a skyservice...that could cost you under $800 if you hit it right.  They also have a nice connection from Houston on continental, but ah not sure if houston-trinidad stilll flying
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 12:46:29 PM by ricky »

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 12:58:11 PM »

The flight from Western Canada to Jamaica is the same cost as to Trinidad from here .  It would be plenty more to go through jam cause you would have to go on seperate carriers and book a nex $300 flight to jamaica .....i done check all that already  :beermug:

Alberta and Palos...the best way is to go to TO and get a skyservice...that could cost you under $800 if you hit it right.  They also have a nice connection from Houston on continental, but ah not sure if houston-trinidad stilll flying

As far as I know..continental still goes through houston en route to TnT...I used them in 2004 when I went home.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 01:29:53 PM »

As far as I know..continental still goes through houston en route to TnT...I used them in 2004 when I went home.

Big Up!

ah think they cancel that route in 2006 tho but i not sure
Air Canada shit we up in Canada, the return flight to Toronto now stops in Caracas...extra 2.5 hrs it takes....and the reason.....FUEL
they does go there to full up on cheap fuel for the return flight.  Last time i check gas we 3 cents US YES CENTS a litre in VEN....

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 08:08:46 PM »
I like the idea of CA running some charters out from the western Canada. Really ah cyar see a regualr  flight as being cost effective. If they cyar make from London to POS , Western Canada would be a losing proposition.

I have done just about all: one xmas ah did AA yuh talk about up and down throughthe States; Ft. Worth Tx. San Juan PR was coool ...lawd them spanish tings in that island ...lawd ah sing all kinda broken parang trying tuh alk dey.

Ah went West Ject Can jet Transat all dat!!! Yuh have tuh go throught T.O.  or else take Continental and go states side.

Ah try skyservice...not me and that cheap airline again.... very uncomfortable seating and that limited baggae sh..t

Then ah went back to AC... well personally I ilke that Tuesday flight  connecting in T.O and taking Caracas passangers. Ah feel like it was an ole Bwee flight.... Is only Trinis on the flight and  people from meh grandfather's hoomeland.....  Lawd now yuh meeting soem good  spanish on that flight. Look nah I did not mind landing in Caracas... ah get tuh see all  kinda possibilities. Look nah this world have some real nice women in trute yes..... ah cyar see how man could only keep to one.

anyways ah hope they dress they air line hostess in real nice tight fitting pants or sexy skirts and personally keep them men out the service or let them work the kitchen and cook.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 11:43:19 AM »
It seems as though we only getting direct service to London on 3 days of the week from the end of March. That is a little embarrassing. We no longer have a non-stop and our own airline is not flying to one of the cities with the largest Trini diasporas anywhere? I guess we will have to wait for the action plan.

BTW, Continental still flys from Houston and Newark. Delta commences its nonstop from Atlanta from early December.
There is a direct flight between POS and KIN but it stops in Barbados and sometimes St. Maarten or Antigua.
Copa Airlines was supposed to start from Panama City as well, making the link to southern South America a little easier. In the past you could not get a viable connection from Caracas and you had to fly 3 hours north to Miami if you were going to Brazil, Chile or even Ecuador.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 12:11:59 PM »
It seems as though we only getting direct service to London on 3 days of the week from the end of March. That is a little embarrassing. We no longer have a non-stop and our own airline is not flying to one of the cities with the largest Trini diasporas anywhere? I guess we will have to wait for the action plan.

BTW, Continental still flys from Houston and Newark. Delta commences its nonstop from Atlanta from early December.
There is a direct flight between POS and KIN but it stops in Barbados and sometimes St. Maarten or Antigua.
Copa Airlines was supposed to start from Panama City as well, making the link to southern South America a little easier. In the past you could not get a viable connection from Caracas and you had to fly 3 hours north to Miami if you were going to Brazil, Chile or even Ecuador.

The Newark continental flight is seasonal. And they expensive too.. $900 for Christmas. The Delta flight started off real cheap.. i get one for $500 from Newark->ATL->POS. I was just looking at it recently and it is $1600 now  :o

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 02:58:43 PM »

Big Up!

ah think they cancel that route in 2006 tho but i not sure
Air Canada shit we up in Canada, the return flight to Toronto now stops in Caracas...extra 2.5 hrs it takes....and the reason.....FUEL
they does go there to full up on cheap fuel for the return flight.  Last time i check gas we 3 cents US YES CENTS a litre in VEN....

Nah dey still have that route..ah just book me flight with dem for carnival next year  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

1]; } ?>