April 19, 2024, 05:37:50 AM

Author Topic: Is paranging dead ?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is paranging dead ?
« on: November 28, 2006, 06:35:07 AM »
When ah was a youth my great gran lived in Erin and a couple of christmassess (is that as bad as breaKfasses ?) we spent with her.
After midnight mass she would invite people from the church for a drink and something to eat, her house was the closest to the church and she virtaully looked after the priest even in her advanced age.
Anyhow 20-30 people would come to her house lime a bit and then the younger fellas would start up a parang complete with quatros, box bass etc.
They would then go from house to house (selected) paranging picking up other people on the way and when they reached the last house (by this time nearly everybody drunk, turnaround come back up the street and people would go back to their respective homes.
Now this is how I knew paranging back then, in the recent past we would only do a couple pardners house and this is by car which to say the least is extremely dangerous.
What I want to know is if what I described here accurately reflects what you know paranging to be and whether this happens anywhere in Trinidad again ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is paranging dead ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:09:57 AM »
Boss,..I eh even livin trini and I sure dat do happen so again

Too much ah bandit go want to rob de parang side of they chac-chac....plus de current generation eh really into it like generations past

I fell it will become like old mas..another dying art form that will become a novelty
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:40:31 AM »
Boss,..I eh even livin trini and I sure dat do happen so again

Too much ah bandit go want to rob de parang side of they chac-chac....plus de current generation eh really into it like generations past

I fell it will become like old mas..another dying art form that will become a novelty
actually it still does...significantly
i know i ahve real people form my area still go around n parang
but i havent spent a x mas in tirnidad in 2 years. sigh  :'( :'(
any how i know dme bhoy and dem like to cal meh when they paranging and real dote

but i would like to hear fform the people in trini still especially those in paranging areas.
i  had ah small fren in lopinot back ind e day..i go calls eh n ask she if they still do that..cause if any place would be still ah hub is lopinot
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

2LIPS

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:06:07 PM »
No its not in some areas they still parang alot, in South Trinidad and Yea areas like Lopinot and Paramin.....

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
In south they still have real paranging side...in marabella a couple of older fellas have a group los playos assos....they eh good but does be real kix
Back in Trini...

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 02:20:21 PM »
In south they still have real paranging side...in marabella a couple of older fellas have a group los playos assos....they eh good but does be real kix

wid ah name like dat ah eh expect nutten else buh kix  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 09:13:33 PM »
No its not in some areas they still parang alot, in South Trinidad and Yea areas like Lopinot and Paramin.....
every where from toco to arima and to lopinot still parang in de east. dat is fomr first hand knowledge
i would expect palces like brassi seco, paramin, las lomas, and place liek siparia etc to be still jammin parang
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:07:17 PM »
In my house, the youthmen that come to lime, take up the bottle and spoon and do a little thing and the cds play in the background, or they make up as they go along...of course that's after they have a few drinks in their head. ;D
In paramin, the parang is now a big performance the 2nd Monday in December, and they charge an admittance fee, and sell foodstuffs and drinks up on the hill. It's really well patronised, and getting larger every year. Last year they talked about cancelling, because of the crime but I haven't heard what's happening this year as yet. It should be next Monday if it's going to happen.
things change here in good old t 'n t and not always for the better :(

1]; } ?>