April 18, 2024, 02:51:27 PM

Author Topic: yuh BEST Christmas memories growing up at home......  (Read 35957 times)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: yuh BEST xmas memories growing up at home......
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »
right, Gloria's name was actually Gloria Alcala (I think that's the married name) and she was venezuelan by birth, and yes after she died (RIP) the Serenaders were no more. we now have the Flores de San Jose, and the young side is los jovenes de san jose, led by a younger Flores, Mario. the girls you mentioned were the Guerero sisters, and they still sing, but in different groups. Even the guys in that family sing, too. real talent.
you guys have real good memories, digging up all these things from the past. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, or what?

well ann thanks for dis, cause i always though Gloria was from Arima....learn something new again
did she have any kids dat ya know of ???

it woulda be nice if all dem old parang groups come together in dey park and put down some vintage parang tur show dem youngas and dem what it really made of.

ah go certainly make ah trip home for dat
i second that
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2006, 02:58:36 PM »
well, the good news is that the groups do come together on Jan 6th the Epiphany in the George earl Park in St. Joseph to celebrate the 'Lehwah'
and they do put on a grand show. It's free so do come on by ...
 ;Ddo I sound like the mayor of St. Joseph?  ;D hee, hee
 :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2006, 03:06:30 PM »
well, the good news is that the groups do come together on Jan 6th the Epiphany in the George earl Park in St. Joseph to celebrate the 'Lehwah'
and they do put on a grand show. It's free so do come on by ...
 ;Ddo I sound like the mayor of St. Joseph?  ;D hee, hee
 :rotfl: :rotfl:

Do they still have that big tree lighting in St. Joseph where groups come and sing?  I used to sing at dat.  Good times.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »
nope, they used to have the big tree and the blessing of the creche. I don't know if they still do that. I'll try to find out.
the park is really nice now, with benches and lights and a good children's playground. the only thing missing is grass. we have trees and bushes, but no savannah grass. only dirt especially where the children play.
the Leywah is really the christmas concert in St. Joseph.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2006, 03:18:05 PM »
this is not an xmas memory but meh bro reminded me about it.

There was an add on TV back in the 70's and early 80's for a soap detergent (cartoon) and it showed how the blue dots in the soap used to chomp and eat the dirt.

How many use to look in the washing machine or bucket to see the little blue dot eating???? ;D ;D :rotfl:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2006, 03:19:07 PM »
gorm dem is dey days yes

wait nah...i must be dey only younga dat know dem ting in here or wha ?
jus tur walk up dat hill to get tur dey park was ah journey by it self...
ya know how much times ah break meh ass on dem swing.

good times yes.

Hoe ya going home still ?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2006, 03:20:23 PM »
gorm dem is dey days yes

wait nah...i must be dey only younga dat know dem ting in here or wha ?
jus tur walk up dat hill to get tur dey park was ah journey by it self...
ya know how much times ah break meh ass on dem swing.

good times yes.

Hoe ya going home still ?
eh hem excuse u eh..
i yougn to an di know dat first hand experince..
<<arimian here eh
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2006, 03:27:57 PM »
Hoe.. ah see you mentioned the Lara bros.. seems you know the culture boy.  :beermug:

BTW.. the BESS parang one could possible hear was semis at Tabaquite Composite... all the good groups had to pass through Tabaquite to reach the finals. Was real, music, beverages, ladies and the occasional fight. was the fuss time ah see sparks when ah man get ah stag bottle in he head oui!

When it comes to door to door parang.. meh pops and his brothers wasn't easy.. the good part was, me and my brother was always included. Buh no grog for we.. was strickly sorrel, ginger beer, peardrax, cake, butter cookies, sweet bread, and real bake meat! or and if we lucky.. stew pork and yam (finger or kush kush) or breadfruit steam with the pork and coconut.

ah remember one xmas me and meh bro tax ah bottle ah rice wine from we aunt.. that ting was nice boy!

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »

There was an add on TV back in the 70's and early 80's for a soap detergent (cartoon) and it showed how the blue dots in the soap used to chomp and eat the dirt.

How many use to look in the washing machine or bucket to see the little blue dot eating???? ;D ;D :rotfl:

Me, me, me!!  Oh gorm....ah remember dat add good, good yes.  Ah used tuh love dat add.  Yuh know ah really used tuh look tuh see de blue dot eating de dirt!!   :rotfl: :rotfl: 
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2006, 03:38:35 PM »
nope, they used to have the big tree and the blessing of the creche. I don't know if they still do that. I'll try to find out.
the park is really nice now, with benches and lights and a good children's playground. the only thing missing is grass. we have trees and bushes, but no savannah grass. only dirt especially where the children play.
the Leywah is really the christmas concert in St. Joseph.

Too bad...dat was nice but ah suppose dey will create new memories fuh de younger generation

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2006, 03:39:09 PM »

ummmmm no me cyah member dat
ya saying chomp chomp and ah get ah flash back ah pac man

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2006, 03:50:26 PM »
Hoe.. ah see you mentioned the Lara bros.. seems you know the culture boy.  :beermug:

BTW.. the BESS parang one could possible hear was semis at Tabaquite Composite... all the good groups had to pass through Tabaquite to reach the finals. Was real, music, beverages, ladies and the occasional fight. was the fuss time ah see sparks when ah man get ah stag bottle in he head oui!

When it comes to door to door parang.. meh pops and his brothers wasn't easy.. the good part was, me and my brother was always included. Buh no grog for we.. was strickly sorrel, ginger beer, peardrax, cake, butter cookies, sweet bread, and real bake meat! or and if we lucky.. stew pork and yam (finger or kush kush) or breadfruit steam with the pork and coconut.

ah remember one xmas me and meh bro tax ah bottle ah rice wine from we aunt.. that ting was nice boy!

ah jus get an original lara bros xmas  cd st from trin
ah in meh glee man
up unitl i move in 99 u everybodyin my aria use to still do the house to house paraning vibe even if it was bottle and spoon but it often use to have man wiht quatro, marac and mandolin
was real niceness
btw dat lime buss bad bad ah still have some garlic pork curing..
i breaking it out next week it go be nice

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »

ah jus get an original lara bros xmas  cd st from trin
ah in meh glee man
up unitl i move in 99 u everybodyin my aria use to still do the house to house paraning vibe even if it was bottle and spoon but it often use to have man wiht quatro, marac and mandolin
was real niceness
btw dat lime buss bad bad ah still have some garlic pork curing..
i breaking it out next week it go be nice

wha ah go say.. pass through with the pork .. ah mite even put on my lara bros cd I have  8)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2006, 06:50:46 PM »
real memories ah have yes!...but one dat stan'out was de time ah get meh spanking new gun and sack (in dem days it was not seen as politically incorrect tuh buy ah chile ah gun an sack)...and dis is de 7-9 age group eh!... .buh anyways me an meh pardnahs meetup and everybody showing wha dey get and ting....enuff ah we get gun and sack..so we decide tuh play ah game ah shoot-dem-out.....we pick side and we gorn...we running and running and shotting and reloading caps........we all over de place having ah time.....so ah was hiding behind some bush getting ready tuh shoot one ah de fellahs on the oddah side, buh as ah take ah step tuh make meh move.....meh slipper sink and slide lil bit.....so ah start tuh wonder wey is dat boy?....steuuuuupes when ah look down, is some dog shit ah step een oui! and allyuh know rubber slipper and dog shit doh go tugeddah....game dun and ah had tuh limp down by de stanpipe tuh wash orf de flikkin ting......needless tuh say ah get some good tok bout it later de evening..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:54:29 PM by Ent! »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2006, 09:11:46 AM »
So as another Christmas rolls into another and as the  songs of the season melodiously trample in one's minds, I sit once more and reminisce of the fond memories of a time captured in time that's filled of laughter, relatives now long gone, singing, and frolicking in the trpoical heat enjoying the moment of the joyous occassion.

To all as you celebrate, have a joyous celebration with friends and family and all the best in the coming year. May the creator bring peace and prosperity to each one and blessing upon our native land. Tomorrow will be a new day like no other and let's hope that the memories it bring will also be cherised and stamped in infinity.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »
Allyuh want tuh know how boring this place is at xmas time?......fa...k

Anyhow anyone know where one could download the classic parang chunes?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:03:33 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2008, 09:57:16 PM »
My best memories was the smell of cake baking ,ham boiling out side in ah cooking oil pan ,curtains changing boy life in the country iz the best .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2008, 10:57:11 PM »
All yuh know is nov 17th tings real bad wit all yuh. Celebrate all yuh thanksgiving 1st nahhhhhhhh
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »
Well as ah yute an' ah self-centred only child (read spoilt), ah used to look forward to the presents. However, as I got older, presents became less important for me and Christmas Day itself was okay, but nothing compared to the buildup, i.e. putting up curtains, running to the shop to buy sorrell for Mom and running from ah doberman (long story. suffice it to say, ah was ah bit of ah roly poly as ah yute and that night, ah must be lorse at least ten pounds).

Anywayz, the buildup to Christmas Day was usually more exciting than the day itself for me.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2008, 12:09:36 PM »
Walking down high street and herind Daisy music blasing from the radios and record stores. this has left a lasting memory one that I will never forget. I long for my children to feel the censation that is Xmas in trini.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »
The sounds, the sites, the smell of ham, pastel, paymee, sancoche, araypa, paint and linoleum carpet!!!!!!

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »
 Ah thing ah like the best was going from house to house christmas time ,growin up in princess town was the best .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »
me eh know bout all yuh nah

How I know it was Christmas was when I see a man on TV named Kelvin Hutchinson singing:

Oh how I wish I weeeeereeeea child agaaaainnnn
where poinsettias keep reminding me
Christmas time is jes around the bend
everybody is merry

the kids anticipate vacation time
all Christmas chores must wait a while

When I hear that, I grabbing ah 4 inch brush and a can ah paint and start painting something.

Other than that, long time my moms use to send us in the bush for fig leaf to make pasrtelle. And when that run out me and my padna in the neighbour yard harassing they fig tree. When we finish, the fig tree look like ah hurricane pass.

Nowadays I usually go by Swima and eat he moms pastelle and fresh bread.

GOOD TIMES

Més que un club.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2008, 07:38:37 PM »
As I sit hear pondering my earliest distinct memory of Christmas I have is Scrunter bring out the Ham.  The lead up to Christmas was spent preparing the house, apple white for the inside, terra cota for the stairs. Memories of groccery shoping sorting through the calendars for the christian one. Always look forward to the ACE hardware calendar from montrose they had the best.

The estalished yearly routine of family coming by us for Christmas with the knowledge that come new years I would be in Forrest park visiting them. No Christmas was completed with watching the all the Christmas shows on the television ( a trolls christmas, all the rankin bass movies.) Left trini in 98, went home a couple of times for christmas it is never the same.

Time to pull out my Royal Castle Christmas Cd.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:05:32 PM by trinindian »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »
Walking down high street and herind Daisy music blasing from the radios and record stores. this has left a lasting memory one that I will never forget. I long for my children to feel the censation that is Xmas in trini.

True true.... bring back loads of memories.... de after school lime we use to have for christmas party @ Gulf was a good memory. Going to yuh local church Christmas play.... and most of all pastels...... I was a christmas baby so christmas home was real special.... all de family use to be around.... now is just me and de wife... :'(

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »
The sounds, the sites, the smell of ham, pastel, paymee, sancoche, araypa, paint and linoleum carpet!!!!!!

yes, the smell! To this day I tell my girls that christmas is about the wonderful scent of food etc.

add..

rum cake baking
dad making ginger beer ..that man vex with ginger oui..thing cud peel paint when he done.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »
 it's a winter wonderland and I am going through the whole Trini Tabanca scene again!!!!! Look nah xmas time in TNT is like no place else.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »
........is counting down the week ;D
Meh mums say sorrel done boil and put down already and black cake soaking.... gorm!!!

On ah sad note, she tun dey house upside down and waiting for help to tun it back up >:(

1]; } ?>