March 28, 2024, 12:53:57 PM

Author Topic: yuh BEST Christmas memories growing up at home......  (Read 35758 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: yuh BEST xmas memories growing up at home......
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2009, 01:30:27 PM »
the smell of linoleum

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »
vendors in town selling apples n grapes on de road side

Cheesy battery operated toys in window displays on Frederick and Charlotte Street.

Wolworth and Kirpalani full of people

Central market, de ladies shellin pigeon peas and cleaning sorrel

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »
Drinkin all night and going to church Christmas morning :)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »
Just got back after a week in Trinidad. The occasion was not the best; my grandmother after  celebrating her 100th b.d.  about  two months ago passed away.

So ah looking for the xmas vibes  but not much in the air. It had a Parang jam  on Saturday night  on the main rd. Nice to see and experience but did not feel much like xmas fo rsoem reason. The shopping malls had all the xmas trappings for shoppers.

But the  whole atmosphere around did not fell like it use to be  what's up these days? People saying dey eh have the money as before; some people talking about layoffs affecting the economy and some feel that it eh evn Christmas as yet and people focusing on Mas!!! What really going on in TnT?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »
Just got back after a week in Trinidad. The occasion was not the best; my grandmother after  celebrating her 100th b.d.  about  two months ago passed away.

So ah looking for the xmas vibes  but not much in the air. It had a Parang jam  on Saturday night  on the main rd. Nice to see and experience but did not feel much like xmas fo rsoem reason. The shopping malls had all the xmas trappings for shoppers.

But the  whole atmosphere around did not fell like it use to be  what's up these days? People saying dey eh have the money as before; some people talking about layoffs affecting the economy and some feel that it eh evn Christmas as yet and people focusing on Mas!!! What really going on in TnT?
It must feel so! dem lil dutty teefin byoi together wid the greedy politicians and money men fack up ah nice peaceful lil country .

if they was patient and took the right route, they woulda make more money and live to enjoy it in ah safe environment, but instead opted for illicit means of livelihood.

the ppl scared no arse and don't want tuh venture out @ night, especially not in search of ah good time and end up losin their lives.

trinidad gone through!! and it will take a hurculian effort to bring it remotely back to what it used to be 25/ 30 ago.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »
bathing in the river

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »
Seeing the leaves of a certain tree turn white and the weather being a lil cool. Ham and chow chow. Also there was a certain type of Black and silver butterfly that I only saw around that time of year.
Since I left home in '79, I've never been back for Christmas...I really miss the house to house parang, try doing that in de cold. ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2010, 09:16:54 AM »
Being around family and  friends dropping in and spreading the spirit.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
As a child, Christmas Eve was always a good time
All the siblings get new pyjamas.  First Christmas meal was pastelles, pork, ham, bread, chow chow, ketchup, mustard and all the flavours of Solo, of course sorrel and ginger beer was there.  The house was clean, clean after a hard day of house work, and smelling divine from all the freshly cooked food.  Parang was in the air and the whole family limin on the porch making jokes.

Christmas Day was fun too with all the presents, cousins and the big meal, etc but my favourite memories was hands down on Christmas Eve...
whey boy!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
Chow chow on the Ham.  Ah miss Chow Chow.   :'(
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »
All the best; hope great memories were created today.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2010, 09:41:11 PM »

Yuh come good dey... wid some homemade pepper sauce, wash down wid some Peardrax.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »

Yuh come good dey... wid some homemade pepper sauce, wash down wid some Peardrax.
Come nah man...We getting that here in Atlanta, I sure you could get that where you are.  Matter of fact, had some all weekend long.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Ray Agostini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2010, 12:52:09 AM »
A pine tree imported from Canada, then dressed with tinsel, threaded globes, with an angel atop, and artificial “snow” from a spray can. The pine aroma filled the house not only during, but many days after Christmas.  Going to meet Santa Claus, and wondering how he could be dressed like that in the heat, and wondering why I never saw his reindeer, and why he sometimes arrived in a helicopter at the savannah. Midnight mass at St. Mary’s, the only time my mother ever attended Church; the smell of incense and Christmas hymns of praise. It was always packed to overflowing, with people standing at the doors, and anticipation that after midnight mass would be the opening of presents, usually sometime before 1am. As a young teenager, my complimentary one Carib beer a year allowed by the old people. Never two. Relatives pouring in from all quarters, including uncles, aunts, and cousins whom you only saw once a year. Having Christmas come and go without shopping hassles. Bamboo busting all around in the lead up to Christmas, and doing some bamboo-busting ourselves. Cutting the bamboo seven rings long; incising a square opening one ring from the back, pouring kerosene in, lighting and waiting for it to warm up, and then bang, bang, bang! The sound of Christmas approaching. At any other time it would be considered a nuisance and noise pollution, but what would any pre-Christmas be without hearing the sound of bamboo-busting? And pudding, spicy-pegged ham-crackling, pastels, and as we got older Fernandes White Star with coke or ponche crema. Then at at 19 I bid goodbye to my "island in the sun", and all the good memories, especially the Christmas memories. 

It has never been the same since. Thirty-six Christmases have come and gone, and not one is so fondly remembered as – Christmas in Trinidad.

“There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.” - Elizabeth Lawrence.

May you all have a happy and prosperous New Year 2011.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »
Nice post Ray... definitely brings back some memories here as well.  Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »
agree...nice post...meh father used to always give the siblings a lil drink too growing up on Christmas day....

those away from Trinidad will definitely agree....

It's been 18 Christmases away for me, we must keep the traditions alive.
whey boy!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2010, 01:10:36 PM »
39 years abroad but if is one time ah the year , is this season ah  bound to make it home. I just  converting VHS to dvd and the Christmas from years of  taking my family back home with relatives, paranging at the  uncles and grandparents and now watching relatives who have since passed on is priceless to have for future generations.

NOW it's been 39 years now I eh experience ah Carnival. But ah see nuff, Caribana, Orlando, Boston, Edmonton Calgary, etc.... I know none eh come ing close to home but.....

Between the two  ah will take Christmas at home for the memories , and the closeness with family any day.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »
Bring back the old time days  of Christmas in Trinidad

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2012, 11:54:56 PM »
vendors in town selling apples n grapes on de road side

Cheesy battery operated toys in window displays on Frederick and Charlotte Street.

Wolworth and Kirpalani full of people

Central market, de ladies shellin pigeon peas and cleaning sorrel

Ah know this is ah little, but reading this just brings back so mush fond memories, it was really nice growing up in T&T, every thing we did was ah huge festive deal, unlike here in the states where everything is soooo bland.  :puking:

i remember going to juman's corner and kirpalani by the barataria round about with my parents who were shopping for toys and gifts, that evening will live forever in my mind.

BTW, anybody remember GI joe? boy i used to go crazy when the commercials came on TV for that toy, GI joe and scaletric was every young boys dream.

The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »
Heard from a friend who responded to my email regarding  memories of Christmas growing up; here it is with kind permission:

My Christmas memories in sweet T&T are faded now. I remember walking to Holy Cross Catholic church with my mom for midnight mass on Christmas Eve. The sounds of frogs and crickets in the night and me chatting away to my mom about anything and everything!

I remember vague memories of some plastic grapes that sat on a table and my sister and I filled them up with water and froze them...much to my poor mother's annoyance. I remember because I was small, my job was to clean whatever was not breakable on the bottom self of some cabinet.I remember my mom would bake for everyone and anyone and we would walk and take her bread and her sweetbread to older people who talked and talked and would put their hands on my curls. I remember my mom would say we dont have much but what we have to always share.

Memories of garlic pork made by my Uncle Louis, soaked onions and chowchow home made by my mom. Sorrel and ginger beer! My first gift that I remember was a pink iron and ironing board which I believe is the reason why I love ironing so much. I believed in Santa until I was almost 12 years of age as sad as it is to say in today's world.

I remember going to Port of Spain with my mom and the smell of apples, now I now know they are red and delicious. I have lived in Canada most of my life and even from the farm that I have picked my apples I can never find the smell of the apples like the smell of apples as a child in sweet T&T. One Christmas fills my head with vague memories of Uncle Ivan, my father, my sister, my uncle George playing tricks with my nose, and my mom's baking.

Sights that still drive me to love a man that can cook for me....created by seeing my Mom and Dad in the kitchen together. Him sitting on the wooden bench he made for the kitchen and my Mom directing him with the beating of the cake mix, I remember he would wink at me and keep the spoon for me to lick after it was done just before Mom washed everything. My mom made the best sweetbread ever. Oh my gosh, I feel teary eyed just thinking of it.

All of this means so much more for me as I sit here in Trinidad and Tobago only about 30 minutes away from my childhood home. Mom and Dad are both gone, my home is not mine anymore and the memories and my life here were short. Yet I remember hearing my father singing parang, he played in the band Lara Brothers from his village in Cantaro in Santa Cruz. Tonight lime in Maracas St. Joseph hearing original parang music brought all these memories of my father back.

Christmas Day after lunch we would take a drive up to Maracas, oh gosh the drive up over the hills with the cloud dipping the mountains like at Dairy Queen, as a child I would stick my face out just to feel the breeze on my skin and to feel the wind blowing through my curls and the hot sun burning my shoulders. Christmas was about the birth of Jesus, sharing our home with friends, neibbas and family, wonderful memories that I have tried to share with my own children over the years.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2012, 08:32:55 PM »
Homemade wine ah real miss dat.
Between me and de wife we do our best to recreate the food and drink.  Pastelle, ham, chow-chow, roast pork, ponche a creme, ginger beer and sorrel in abundance.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
Oh shit boy! Where do I start....Christmas was de absolute BESS growin' up in Trini!!....had meh first taste of alcohol at the age of 5.....and only every Christmas thereafter.....this was the time of year our house (interior) used to get fresh paint....ah could never forget dat "Berger 303" (is dem same paint tins we used to use to buss carbide wit fuh new year's!)....I always used to want to paint like everybody else...but could only be trusted to help with de bathrooms...no way my lil' excited ass could mess dat up....sorrel, ginger beer and fruit soakin' long time now on de top shelf in de kitchen in some huge fish bowl! Everting sortin' out...fig tree in de back yard so plenty wrap fuh plenty pastelles...ah see Preacher mention chow chow on de ham a while back....ah cryin'!  I used to sneak in de kitchen and take all de cucumber out de souse and rub it up on de pepper and eat all...family and friends comin' over and hadda eat dey souse widdout it.  :D  Ah lickin' de cake-mix bowl CLEAN, all de spatchula and all gettin' it! One Christmas ah did SWEAR was a rifle under the tree wit my name on it, it bunnin' meh eye every time ah pass dat tree! (such were the times back then that our tree AND GIFTS spent their days and nights out in the bare, wide-open gallery and never were interfered with by ANYBODY!) Much to my disappointment, when I open de dam ting is a friggin' "zebco" fishin' rod in a case.  :(....... :rotfl:
Once I pass common entrance, I was whukkin' Stephen's & Johnson's every Summer, Christmas and Easter vacation break up until 4th form but ah was one cheap lil' bastard!  All de men in meh family gettin' "Old Spice" gift sets and all de ladies gettin' perfume, includin dat cheap-ass "bien etre" ah always used to get from de pharmacy on Picton street.....but is records, clothes, football equipment and lego set fuh me!  :D
If ah coulda only re-live dem days.  De bess evah!

BTW, anybody remember GI joe? boy i used to go crazy when the commercials came on TV for that toy, GI joe and scaletric was every young boys dream.

Who go fuhget dem ting...G.I. Joe, $6M-man, corgi model cars....got my only Scalextric set in Christmas of '76...mash it up same day! Funny yuh mention it, though...ah jes order one last week fuh meh two godsons.  :D

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2012, 06:52:48 AM »
Bit different from the other posts, but my best Xmas was when I was 9.

Xmas morning, woke up freezing cold to see snow on the ground through the iced up window. We only had one fire so that's where I opened my presents. I would always get an orange or tangerine in my xmas stocking and some special xmas candy packs like double size packs of maltesers or opal fruits. There were no replica jerseys in those days, but there were cheap brands that made jerseys so red with white trim was Man U, red with red was Liverpool, blue with white was Everton, gold with black was Wolves etc. No stripes or hoops available back then. I got the Wolves jersey (which I actually wanted as it was the flashiest one!) Also got a pair of black long football socks! And, joy of joy, I got an Action Man deep sea diver that emitted bubbles underwater when you blew through a tube.

Went to church at 8 a.m. with my Mum. My Dad never went to church, but this year he was ill in bed with Asian flu which had knocked out everybody that winter and was quite nasty with a lot of old people dying from it.

I didn't like church, but xmas morning was special, so I didn't mind going. Walking back with only two inches of snow on the ground, the sun came out so everything was bright and sparkling and fresh looking.

Well, when I reached back home, my Dad was up. He told me to look in the garden at the snowman he built. When I looked out, there was no snowman. Instead there was a brand new goalpost with an orange goalnet!!

That was the coolest thing ever! Looking back, the goalpost was pretty cheap. Just half inch tubing. But I know it was a really expensive gift for my parents to buy. By lunchtime, there were about 10 of us kids playing football in the snow. It was the only goalpost in our housing estate!!

I remember being totally soaked through, freezing and covered with mud. Went indoors and bathed and watched some tv on our black and white set (I remember Thunderbirds, I think, which was the best programme ever).

Then my sisters arrived for xmas dinner and I got more presents.... an airfix model plane kit and a James Bond DB5 with guns and ejector seat.

What a great xmas!!!

The joy I had from those unexpected gifts would surpass the kids nowadays when they get their x boxes and mobile phones. Everything to day is expected, matter of fact, must haves.

The best xmas present that I wish I could give my kids is to let them experience my best xmas. But they wouldn't be impressed!

truetrini

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
5...4...3...2...1....Thunder Birds are Go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNbuMCAsSE

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
Well I grow up in Valencia, which at the time was a relatively small village.  My extended family was huge, together we comprised about 20-25% of the village.  My great-aunt and her four siblings were the head of the clan, all of them had about 7-8 children, who then each had about three four.  Needless to say I had a lot of cousins and we'd all link up either at church or each others homes.

Valencia also had a very strong 'cocoa panyol' presence and so paranging was a big thing.  Most of Trinidad talk about parang... we lived it.  In typical Trini fashion we had to have major cleaning and thing, yard weeded, house painted thru and thru, 'regular' ham and salt ham bake.  Fresh-made bread... with ham and 'chow-chow' of course.  Peardrax and Cydrax from Whiteway's.  Christmas apple, pears and grapes... black cake, sponge cake... sorrel.  Never got a whole lot of toys... but we gave each other gifts.  "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" on the tube... good times.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »

Ah have all ah dem on DVD.  ;D

Well I grow up in Valencia, which at the time was a relatively small village.  My extended family was huge, together we comprised about 20-25% of the village.  My great-aunt and her four siblings were the head of the clan, all of them had about 7-8 children, who then each had about three four.  Needless to say I had a lot of cousins and we'd all link up either at church or each others homes.

Valencia also had a very strong 'cocoa panyol' presence and so paranging was a big thing.  Most of Trinidad talk about parang... we lived it.  In typical Trini fashion we had to have major cleaning and thing, yard weeded, house painted thru and thru, 'regular' ham and salt ham bake.  Fresh-made bread... with ham and 'chow-chow' of course.  Peardrax and Cydrax from Whiteway's.  Christmas apple, pears and grapes... black cake, sponge cake... sorrel.  Never got a whole lot of toys... but we gave each other gifts.  "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" on the tube... good times.

for a man that come from such humble but rich cultural beginnings, and has become so well "educated" it's amazing what troll and an asshole you've growed up to become.....IJS. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2012, 04:19:39 AM »

Ah have all ah dem on DVD.  ;D

for a man that come from such humble but rich cultural beginnings, and has become so well "educated" it's amazing what troll and an asshole you've growed up to become.....IJS. 
Weh dah one come from boy mango chow, just sooo dan??

did i miss something? allyuh plssss doh mash up the thread. pllssssss !
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:22:21 AM by just cool »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2012, 07:28:43 AM »

Damn you TT!! I followed the link over breakfast, and not having time before work to watch it, scanned through the other Thunderbird links. Ended up 30 minutes late for work!! Looking forward to reaching home tonite to watch the movie.

Thunderbird 4 was always my favourite, though TB2 was cool too. F.A.B.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
JC, dahis you? Fuh ah man that does swing on de regular, wham? yuh had ah reflective interval?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
Wtf F.A.B mean? Somebody answer meh
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>