April 27, 2024, 10:26:43 AM

Poll

Should you have to pay to screen fuh de national team

Yes
4 (22.2%)
No
14 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: National team benifits  (Read 5112 times)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
National team benifits
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »
if ah man get called fuh ah camp why not pay fuh him

if allyuh know meh allyuh go know why ah vex

but nobody should miss ah nashie chance just like that

allyuh go pay???
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: National team benifits
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 09:14:57 PM »
I heard about the situation of the players having to pay their passage to South Carolina. I think some fellas ended up carpooling. Their accomodations, food etc. is being handled by the TTFF.

It's kind of a toss up. On the one hand, a player might be tinking "well dey interested in seeing meh, so why should I have to pay?". On the other hand, when a player is handed a trial at a club, does the player or the club foot the travel bill? When there are screening camps held in T&T, does the TTFF foot the travel bill? I doh know, I jes asking. I'm sure it's probably on a case by case basis.

The bigger question is why did they have the camp now instead of Christmas time when most of the US-based players are in T&T?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:16:45 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 09:16:53 PM »
tallman i give up

we do it last year, it work out fine

it too late, ah goin and sleep

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 09:34:49 PM »
I guess with theTTFF we have to be thankful that they paying their accomodation and food. this is until they find a way to get it back as is the case with the SW.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 09:46:23 PM »
If you want to be seen by the National Team coaches, it is okay to pay your way there. I see no problem in that. They give you food and accomodation that is really great. It's not a camp, it's a screening. They cannot be paying for every Tom, Dick and Jane to go to S.C.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 10:39:20 PM »
These players some of which are students. As a privious foreign student you does be real broke no wonder they had to car pool. How much would it have the cost to pay for them?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 10:56:35 PM »
Me eh know wha people feel it is at all.

The Soca Warriors....WHO QUALIFY FUH DE WORLD CUP.....had dem travel expenses (business class I might add) deducted from dey bonus money by de TTFF.  Men who jes goin fuh a tryout camp in South Carolina want to get PAID to go?

Wha de?  :o

Yuh think dem clubs pay fuh Nigel Pierre to go on ALL dem trials?

As weary say....thank de flikkin LORD, say 25 hail mary, go 22 pujan and make 10 consecutive 24 hours Eid fast dat TTFF SAY dey payin accomodation and food.

On a serious note.....men have a point wantin to be reimbursed for transport money to jes get to de camp.

At de same time....ah know certain man who so hungry fuh de opportunity dat dem hitchhikin to get to de camp. 

Neither a dem wrong or right.  Is jes a case of perspective.  To each dey own.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 11:11:20 PM »
The camp has COME to your country of residence. I say jess find yuh tail there and cool yuhself and be grateful yes. I think dais fair and square. What more yuh want. Steuppsss
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 11:53:23 PM »
  Pay mih transport.
 Pay mih food.
 Pay mih room.
 Pay mih new boots.
 Pay mih kit.
 Pay mih mobile.
 Pay mih TV.
 Pay mih drinking habit.
 Pay mih smoking habit.
 But doh pay mih no mind.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 07:53:03 AM »
The camp has COME to your country of residence. I say jess find yuh tail there and cool yuhself and be grateful yes. I think dais fair and square. What more yuh want. Steuppsss

A lot of it has to do wit the reality of the players' situation. Most of dem in de US on scholarship and dey eh wukkin. Most of dem would be going home fuh Christmas holidays. Since dey ticket done buy ahready, it kinda hard fuh dey parents to fork out more money to pay fuh dey ticket to South Carolina. Not only dat, but since de camp was held over de Thanksgiving holidays, travel prices would be higher dan normal.

In any event, most of de people who were invited ended up making it to de camp.

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 08:50:08 AM »
The bigger question is why did they have the camp now instead of Christmas time when most of the US-based players are in T&T?

I think that they may be trying to organise early for the digicel cup.

I may be wrong but that is how i see it.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:59:31 AM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 09:02:45 AM »

I doh tink so because it seems as doh most of de people dat were invited were US college players and they may not be available for the Digicel Cup which runs Jan 31-Feb 11.

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 09:19:47 AM »

I doh tink so because it seems as doh most of de people dat were invited were US college players and they may not be available for the Digicel Cup which runs Jan 31-Feb 11.

Good point, if it were me, i would look at the situation,as if i would want to play in the next international games, in order to impress the manager and hold down my spot on the team.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline Warrior30

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 10:38:34 AM »
BEST PART is 4 MAN to a ROOM
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:46:01 AM by Tallman »
For de love of de game

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »
allyuh obviously in ah bubble

success comes at a cost

and if the cost of finding the best possible talent trini could offer iz ah ticket

den so be it

what national team go treat dey players so???

when angus eve couldnt get ah ticket fuh de mexico game de whole board was outraged

now to find ah best 11 to go and wear ah addies in we name and ah jetblue 80$ ticket is too much

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 11:53:20 AM »

success comes at a cost

and if the cost of finding the best possible talent trini could offer iz ah ticket

den so be it

when angus eve couldnt get ah ticket fuh de mexico game de whole board was outraged

now to find ah best 11 to go and wear ah addies in we name and ah jetblue 80$ ticket is too much

you are right it comes at a cost..and sometimes that cost must be borne by players. Why do you feel that every other national team treats their past and present players like royalty. Do you have any basis for that assumption. You are very wrong.....Sometimes players at all levels, in all countries sacrifice before actually making it to the national team...including serious economic sacrifice. It is usually youths who ahve no money, but desire and hunger helps them overlook inefficiencies and injustice. I remember reading in World Soccer magazine that the foreign based Brazilians in 1990 gave a portion of their WC salaries to the local based when they found that the locals (WHO already made it on the national squad) were barely getting paid. I not saying the TTFF is right or wrong...all I saying is I doubt that the TTFF is the worst FA in the world..and the players who really have the desire to play for T&T will find a way to the camp...everybody else just eh serious
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:55:00 AM by Filho »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 12:42:46 PM »

success comes at a cost

den so be it

By de same token.....the argument could be made why don't these players see de $80 as an investment in dem future?

Ah sure plenty a dem same players does spend dat same $80 on many other things.

I eh sayin it doh have SOME players who may have a LEGITIMATE hardship case...but not everybody have it.  If is a legitimate hardship case, it can be reviewed on a case by case basis and arrangements can be made for a mutually beneficial resolution.

At de end of de day, de TTFF or no organisation actually, can be everything to everybody.

I is one of TTFF biggest critics but if it didn't have no camp in de States, man woulda be complainin how TTFF eh even try to hold sumting in de States fuh US based players.  Sometimes no matter what yuh do, yuh cyah win because yuh will never please everybody. 
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 12:53:37 PM »
Great idea for means testing but I eh thing the TTFF have the will to do such things. These are consistant with a caring well run organisation. Notice TTFF eh in the sentence as TTFF caring and well  run nah man

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 03:05:55 PM »
 is this a trial or were the players invited?

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 03:14:10 PM »
they were invited to a screening session

Offline Luger

• New Warrior
  • "God+Family+Football=LIFE."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 03:46:57 AM »
Playing  for  your Country should always be  viewed  as a great honour, however, we live in a World  where Practicality has to be at  the  forefront of all  meaningful decisions. Finances as  a  college  student tend to be WAY too limited to  say the least. So, do you make the  sacrifice and make a  trip that  doesn't have any guaranteed outcome? Or, do  you try  to solidify  your academic  future by  way of  consistency for one's school team & overall football program?
    Too many instances have been documented where, TrinBagonian players leave lucrative footballing and academic pastures drawn by patriotic yearnings at home, then on their return  to  their foreign based clubs and schools suddenly  find  that they are out of favour with some administrator in whatever realm.
 Patriotism vs. Practicality? Which is  more beneficial for  these youngsters in the long run? ???  :-\
     If  a player can cover the cost for such a venture then by all means "screen away!" Sadly the average International college student from home on a "soccer scholarship" might, just might, find that objective a bit tasking? But, who knows this is all very speculative on my part....
Only reason can convince us of those three fundamental truths without a recognition of which there can be no effective liberty: that what we believe is not necessarily true; that what we like is not necessarily good; and that all questions are open.
     ~CLIVE BELL{1881-1964}Civilization[1928]

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 08:21:30 AM »
I am sure that a reimbursement plan could be implemented: so that if a player makes the cut and is a serious contender to be on national team, his expenses or a portion thereof could be reimbursed.

If the coaches or management deem a player to be one of interest or one who is worth another  trial at a higher level again a plan could be worked out to compensate for expenses.

This may give players some added incentives knowing that there is a possibility that the  TTFF will assist them . Up front pain for long term gains. This I believe would be an example of the TTFF acting in good faith to  show support for players who have a vested interest in TNT.

Remember as well that it is to the players benefit to make  it at the next level; This represents an opportunity for them to garner  professional contract through  exposure. I mean on an objective sense, the players ought to see that this is a win-win for both parties.

When was the last time yuh hear ah footballer say: " ah want to repay TNT for my early development and opportunity to earn a living through football?"

The irony is then the player expects to be paid  exorbitant sums by the government. Yuh know is a professional  athlete's mentality. Yuh have a good season, yuh negotiate a contract  for a higher wage. Yuh represent yuh country, yuh expect them to pay yuh more  depending on the level of achievement.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:53:45 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 09:07:57 AM »
The tension continues between: representing country at the expense of club (employer); the perceived exploitation of player by country; the economic and personal benefits to a few versus a patriotic thank you for players; a player's  risk of professional career versus  a lack of  adequate compensation by country.

The following article appear to be one that may shed  some light  to these tensions:

Advertising National Pride

The Unifying Power of Cricket Fever, Kashmir, and Politics

Kimberly A. Wright

Abstract:

This article is a critical analysis of three public events in India in 1999, each of which played a distinctive role in making consumerism central to the definition of Indian national identity. I argue that this definition resulted from the production of social energy in a public cultural zone, which was initially constituted by advertising for the 1999 World Cup Cricket Tournament, but was then extended into other social fields as well. My exploration of this topic extends beyond the advertisements that were produced for the World Cup Cricket Tournament and focuses attention on the production of the urban social phenomenon, "cricket fever" (as it is called). The dynamic social energy produced through this phenomenon during the World Cup spilled over into other public cultural spaces and continued to reinforce the connection between Indian national identity and patriotism1 through the market. Throughout my discussion, I attend to how advertising and marketing technologies and...

Did a similar phenomena occurred during TNT run and appearance in the WC?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 09:40:35 AM »

These are very objective and it does not represent my partiality for any side. I simply want to approach this in a pragmatic sense.

Questions:

What  benefits if any  did the ordinary TNT citizen receive from TNT appearance at the WC?

What financial benefits did each player receive? (rhetorical question here)

What professional  befit was it to  any player (Birchall) ?

What benefit did the nation achieve? How do we quantify this if any? and how does want begin to appropriate the nation's benefit in equal terms  so that players may feel that their share was of equal value?

What tangible measures do we have to measure the overall benefits to the country?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
Go figure: people go talk about everyting else non TNT ; avoid the real hard issues.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 02:27:07 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 02:30:35 PM »
So once more ah go take up the crusade to  bring these issues which concern TNT football to the surface.
 I dont' relly care about  W fart's women's issues nor what is happening in the EPL too much.

The stae of what is occuring  even with the announcements  brings to surface how we are attempting to cultivate a 'culture of excellence in the development of a national program.'

If we dont's  use an ethical, moral and reasonalbe approach, we will continue to get the results we are getting. So folks, what are your responses to these issues?

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 09:44:13 PM »
well i know of a few players who did not make the trip because they did not have the money to travel to SC... some of the players who did travel one from California paid in excess of 600 US and mind you the invitations for this camp was sent out just over a week b4 the camp was scheduled to begin and players were asked to confirm attendance a few days later.... Remember this was the thanksgiving weekend, the busiest travel season in the US and some may say the soca warriors had travel deducted from their bonus but how many of these players are being paid to play?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »
I not surprise man could not afford to go.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 04:31:58 PM »
Other than the fact that players could have been given more notice in order to be able to afford the cost of getting there. This is a great idea, and should be done several times throughout the year. If players are in college, the schools can release them for international duty so that's not really a problem especially in early January. Most college coaches are in support of their players going home to represent their country, as this give the college program media milage.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 05:05:31 PM »
I think looking at our financial situation as a small country, the Federation did well with what they offered the players, in order to view their talent. If we were a power house or big country like England, Germany, etc, then I think we have an argument, as it is, I think the players should be thankful. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

1]; } ?>