April 29, 2024, 02:47:17 AM

Author Topic: The Romario deal.  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The Romario deal.
« on: November 25, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »
The Romario deal.
By Peter Badel (Sunday Telegraph).
[/color]

The man who played a decisive role in signing the legendary Romario has spoken of the extraordinary two-month pursuit that delivered the Godfather of Goals to the A-League.

Mel Patzwald, a board member of Adelaide United, traversed more than 35,000km across three continents, withstood a hurricane, sent 60 emails and honed his Spanish language skills as part of his mission to snare the Brazilian icon.

Romario, 40, made his A-League debut last night for Adelaide against the Mariners. The striker will receive $257,000 for a four-match guest stint, with television network SporTV securing exclusive rights to beam his appearances to 190 million Brazilians.

Patzwald, a travel agency owner who spent 13 hours selling Romario the A-League vision, celebrated the deal over a South Australian wine in a lavish Sao Paulo restaurant.

"A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into this. I'm still pinching myself he's here,'' said Patzwald, who first threw up Romario's name as a possible recruit at a board meeting in August.

"Make no mistake, this man is a legend. The 48 hours in Sao Paulo was surreal - it was like hanging around with God. At the restaurant where we did the deal, you need six weeks' notice to get a table. When we mentioned Romario was coming, they said, 'How soon can you get here?'

"This is by a country mile the biggest name to join the A-League. Forget Dwight Yorke or Benito Carbone, their achievements don't come close to Romario's.''

And while pessimists may scoff at the figures on Romario's birth certificate, you can't dispute his glittering footballing resume. The South American has been crowned FIFA player of the year. In 1994, he finished leading scorer as he piloted Brazil to World Cup success. With 14 more strikes, he can join Pele as the only men to have scored 1000 goals.

But it hasn't taken an endless stream of fringe benefits to lure him to Adelaide. A beachfront apartment in Glenelg, a new BMW and two mountain bikes were enough to satisfy his urge to sample life Down Under.

"The big thing I pushed was the lifestyle angle. He said he liked the beach,'' Patzwald revealed. "To be honest, this is the best money we've ever spent.''

Patzwald met Romario for the first time in Miami's Intercontinental Hotel with the city on hurricane alert. Residents began clearing out. Hotel staff began sandbagging the perimeter of the Intercontinental. But Patzwald remained inside, determined to get his man.

For two hours, the wheeler and dealer in Romario played hardball. Then talk turned to family, their hardships, and the pair found a common bond.

"I have an autistic son and Romario told me he had a young daughter with Down syndrome,'' Patzwald said. "We connected. When I left that day, I didn't have his signature but I knew we had a gentleman's agreement.

"Other clubs pitched and offered more money, but he liked the Adelaide concept and he signed with us.''

Football in Adelaide suddenly has more tempo. At Romario's first training run, team-mate Fernando, a fellow Brazilian, ran himself into the ground, desperate to catch the eye of Shorty.

And the fans are flocking. Special Romario packages - a one-off payment of $62 guarantees a seat at each of his three home games - have already attracted more than 8000 eager takers. "The players adore him. They can't believe he's here,'' Patzwald said.

"As a bloke, he's a bit of a clown. With his mates, he likes being the class clown. He likes to have everyone laughing. But there's no bull with him. If he doesn't like something, he'll tell you.''

Upon arriving in Australia, Romario said: "I am fit and ready to go. I am here to do my best. It's not all about goals, although of course I plan to score as many as I possibly can.''

And Patzwald has a message for the critics - beneath the sprouting grey hair, the genius in Romario de Souza Faria still exists. "People think we've signed an old man but he's in good shape. He likes a good time, but he's very professional,'' he said.

"He topped the goalscoring in Brazil's first division at the age of 39. That's how good this guy is.''
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Romario deal.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 05:02:44 PM »
...you mean he older than Latas ...good thing Beenie not coaching down in brazil !

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 05:10:22 PM »
Romario never orcheastrate  ah treble  Mr Patz  :P

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »
I eh taking dat diss of Dwight lightly >:(
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 05:51:25 PM »
dwight win de league tho

what else yuh want
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 06:49:45 PM »
Yeah..he only torking dat tork cuz he hadda hype up his investment. Dat eh even ah dis...dat come like a salesman passing gas. Respect to Romario. We all know that he is a bigger name than Yorke. You cannot even get vex with a man who say Yorke small compared to Romario. But I will argue that Yorke at 34 offering more on the field of play than Romario at 40.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 06:51:32 PM by Filho »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »
dwight win de league tho

what else yuh want

Well exactly...Yorke went and did what he was expected to do. He helped to put de A-league and Sydney on the map, and did it with personality and de ole Yorke charisma. Romario simply filling in Yorke's old slippers.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 12:59:06 AM »
This is a joke...if Romario was any more of a has-been he would be a never was.

The man was playing for Miami FC in the USL which is below MLS and the (US) A-League so effectively it's the US THIRD division.  It must have been a difficult to lure him from such a lucrative league.

BTW the definition of prima donna is Romario so good luck to them.

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 02:50:53 AM »
but that man only have to play four games and getting that money jes so.  It done matter if he play shit or not he getting paid and Dwight train hard hard and win them men a championship and he still have nerve to say forget Dwight Yorke...steupss I don't care if is jes publicity stunt he should show more respect dey man. >:(

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 08:54:37 PM »
but that man only have to play four games and getting that money jes so.  It done matter if he play shit or not he getting paid and Dwight train hard hard and win them men a championship and he still have nerve to say forget Dwight Yorke...steupss I don't care if is jes publicity stunt he should show more respect dey man. >:(

i believe theres other austrailians thinking the same way.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 12:01:30 AM »
After what Dwight do for the league reputation and for his team...he diss de man for a 4 game chook.  Steups.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 08:31:10 AM »
Wow so many big name players have retired over the years and Romario still trying to hold on to his star status

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 10:26:47 AM »
dwight win de league tho

what else yuh want

He probably want to say a world cup winner play for the club, i guessing...
Adelaide and Sydney have a serious rivalry tho, so it would make sense for them to belittle their rivals star players to make their signing look that much better
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 03:05:03 PM »
dwight win de league tho

what else yuh want

He probably want to say a world cup winner play for the club, i guessing...
Adelaide and Sydney have a serious rivalry tho, so it would make sense for them to belittle their rivals star players to make their signing look that much better

Yeah very true. A spokesperson from Sydney wouldn't have made a remark like dat.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 05:46:31 AM »
Them Austrialians ungrateful.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>