March 28, 2024, 06:12:31 PM

Author Topic: T&T and Venezuela battle to a 1-1 draw.  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T and Venezuela battle to a 1-1 draw.
« on: November 26, 2006, 06:52:47 AM »
T&T and Venezuela battle it out.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 20 footballers could at least feel a bit more confident after holding their Venezuelan counterparts to a 1-1 draw at the Larry Gomes Stadium on Saturday evening. And why? Maybe because the Spanish-speaking boys are coming off a 2-0 win over Mexico’s Under 20 national team in another friendly played just over a month ago. The same Mexicans will host the CONCACAF Final round in January and could be future opponents if T&T gets past Jamaica earlier next month.
Apart from that though, missing their influential captain Radanfah Abu Bakr and striker Lester Peltier due to his “Big Six” commitments with CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, T&T showed a wee bit more promise than their recent CFU preliminary round display, scoring first and conceding in the second half against the visitors.
There were no more than maybe 70 fans at the Stadium, with at least 15 of them being Venezuelans residing in Trinidad and while some questioned the clash in date with the National Intercol Semi-finals at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the fact is that when these two internationals were finalized, the visitors were only able to play on the chosen dates as they too are preparing for South American qualifiers and are carded to head to Argentina for a training camp in due course. The Secondary Schools League on the other hand already had their fixtures confirmed in advance, even before T&T knew it would have to prepare for the playoffs, and they decided to stick to it.
As for coach Brian Williams, he will be hoping to see more improvements in the second friendly from 5:30pm at Malabar. His team didn’t show all that cohesion and were too shy in front of goal. They however showed intent on matching the hot headed Venezuelans when it came to aggression. Tackles came from all sides and words too even though it was difficult to know for sure who understood what on the field. Referee Phillip Jordan as well as fourth official Russell Casimire could both speak the Spanish language and got reason to eject the Venezuelan manager from the bench. And T&T right back Corneal Thomas was shown marching orders for a forceful challenge on Francisco Colina in the 76th minute, a minute after Venezuela had equalized through Anton Irwin’s glancing header from an incoming free kick.
Before that, T&T kept the ball well and move forward purposeful, at least appearing to show signs of eagerness to go at the Venezuelans.
On eight minutes, Aaron Downing’s ball from the left came back off the crossbar and five minutes later Khaleem Hyland’s bullet from 25 yards out flew into the upper corner for a 1-0 T&T lead.
Then in the 29th minute Keon Daniel’s free kick from the top of the box bounced off goalkeeper Edgar Perez before being scrambled away. Moments before that Guillermo Banquez’s acrobatic attempt had gone over bar for the visitors. Close to the half, T&T custodian Adrian Foncette did well to push over another acrobatic attempt from Irwin who came on in the 42nd minute for the injured Anderson Arias.
As the game progressed in the second half, the players of both teams became more aggressive on and off the ball but on the benches, the visitors flared more while Williams and company kept their cool, rather trying to ensure their players kept their game intact. T&T’s midfield needed to be more involved though and Williams will be looking to get more from debutant Silas Spann who switched to partnering Bartholomew up front after starting in the middle. The latter had T&T’s closest attempt at goal after the break with a volley which was saved on the near left post in the 68th minute.
The muddy conditions only added to the lack of attractive football on the evening. Hopefully both teams will come cleaner and give more to cheer when they clash again on Sunday evening.
After the affair, Venezuelan coach Nelson Carrero revealed that he brought ten players who are sure starters in his team’s qualifying campaign.
“What I saw was two teams of two different styles,” he told TTFF Media via a translator. “We play more touch football and we try to play the ball around you know like the South American way. The Trinidad team plays a more direct game with the long ball like the English style. It was a good test for us and I hope that Trinidad also got something good from the game. We will try to make our game work better for us in the second match tomorrow. We won over Mexico 2-0 about a month ago and we are getting ready for the South American qualifying games later on.”
Williams too will also hope to see the homesters build on this performance.
“We stayed in it and this was the type of game we were expecting. The aggression was there. We still have a few things to work on but we will try to sort it out in the next match and again build for the real test against Jamaica,” added the T&T head coach.

Line-Ups:

T&T Team: - Adrian Foncette, Marvin James, Corneal Thomas, Larry Bacchus, Atulla Guerra (Elton John), Khaleem Hayland, Keon Daniel, Matthew Bartholomew, Aaron Downing (McKenzie Cadette 78th), Carlyle Mitchell (Dion Peters 69th), Silas Spann.

Subs not used: – Brendon Boucaud, kiel Harlet, Javed Mohammed, Christon Thomas, Kareem Gray, Devon Drayton (out injured).

Venezuela: - Edgar Perez, Roberto Rosales, Jose Yegue, Daniel Benitez, Tamanaco Piedrahita, Wilkinson Rivas (Francisco Colina 46th), Juan Guerra (Jose Velasquez 46th) Tomas Rincon (Erick Perez 70th) Anderson Arias (Anton Irwin 42nd)  Guillermo Banquez (Richard Lopez 70th), Oswaldo Rodriguez (Luilly Garcia 46th).

Sub not used: - Tito Rojas.

Soca Warriors Online supporter Patriot Report.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 07:18:26 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T and Venezuela battle to a 1-1 draw.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 08:15:12 AM »
I thought silas played on the wing? but nice performance
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 11:38:12 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Match Pics
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 10:19:28 AM »
Courtesy Shaun Fuentes

The Venezuela and T&T teams meet before kick off

The Venezuelan players get some assistance from their physiotherapist

Just after the coin toss

The T&T eleven

The Venezuela eleven

Aaron Downing tries to close in on Tomas Rincon

Downing again tries to win possession

Matthew Bartholomew tries to flick the ball back in

Atulla Guerra gets close to Juan Guerra

Downing at it again

Defender Marvin James takes a throw

James hooks one over

Airborne battle

Downing prepares to receive with T&T striker Carlyle Mitchell looking on in the background

Mitchell closes in on this opposing player

Roberto Rosales takes a free kick

Bartholomew on the run
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 10:40:39 AM »
Very timely pictures especially as many of us are peeved with the media. Thanks Tallman and S Fuentes. These young warriors cyah afford to remain faceless with the general public. Thet have plenty burden on their shoulders
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 10:58:14 AM »
The saddest thing about these pictures is that there is not a single spectator in the background.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline mangoseed

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 11:10:26 AM »
everyone was in Hasely Crawford Stadium watchin gustine get licks :P

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 11:35:52 AM »

Dais no excuse as I am sure "everyone " amounted to no more than 600-1000 people in de Hasely. And if somebody say "Dread, it had more than 2000 there", dais nothing to make a dent in the potential spectator market

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 01:04:44 PM »
what stuck me was this comment from the Venezuelan coach:

“What I saw was two teams of two different styles,” he told TTFF Media via a translator. “We play more touch football and we try to play the ball around you know like the South American way. The Trinidad team plays a more direct game with the long ball like the English style. It was a good test for us and I hope that Trinidad also got something good from the game. We will try to make our game work better for us in the second match tomorrow."

Offline doublesandsolo

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 03:43:42 PM »
Any scores yet on Today's game ???

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 03:50:38 PM »
The quotation surprising ; I recalled times in the 60's when we football was more touch and short passes. What  happening to we brand!!!!!!!!

Offline mangoseed

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 05:06:08 PM »

Dais no excuse as I am sure "everyone " amounted to no more than 600-1000 people in de Hasely. And if somebody say "Dread, it had more than 2000 there", dais nothing to make a dent in the potential spectator market
an excerpt from today's guardian

''The 5,000-plus crowd at the venue was expecting St.Augustine to come out of the dressing room ''all guns blazing'' as it went in search of the equaliser. That was not the case though.''

Seems to me that most ppl were in fact watchin gustine get licks :P

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »
Intercol does always pull a big crowd. So th eTTFF should have known not to but the game the same day. A double header would a be nice
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 05:41:49 PM »
Come nah man alyuh self.

Is Intercol Semi Finals.....Big side from the East and Big 5 Winner playing the North Zone and reigning Intercol champs in the Stadium in town.

Vs a side that have no kinda brand and who get licks from our Caribbean neighbours.

Alyuh stay in foreign and judge people for not going game. Entertainment value to watch a under 20 side is ZERO.

Really if you were a youth man and you have the option to take in a riddim section, a tassa section, to see all the east girls come to town and see all the Convent and Bishops girls in one spot.........and after yuh pull yuh pips, yuh could walk across in movietowne easy easy and court, buy a lil icecream and go and take in a movie or a burger king.

You go pass up dat to travel in a redband to go quite Arima to see d under 20 side. Steupssss.

I went neither game cause why.....I had to perform my duties as a midfielder for meh fete match side. My fete match sweat and the lime and drinks that accompanies it takes precedence over any schoolboy football or under something TT team.

Doe get vex for people not going to watch the under 20's. Get vex with the organizers for not making the game a Double Header in the Stadium. They woulda get all them Vene who living woodbrook to come and watch the game.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 05:47:18 PM »
Come nah man alyuh self.

Is Intercol Semi Finals.....Big side from the East and Big 5 Winner playing the North Zone and reigning Intercol champs in the Stadium in town.

Vs a side that have no kinda brand and who get licks from our Caribbean neighbours.

Alyuh stay in foreign and judge people for not going game. Entertainment value to watch a under 20 side is ZERO.

Really if you were a youth man and you have the option to take in a riddim section, a tassa section, to see all the east girls come to town and see all the Convent and Bishops girls in one spot.........and after yuh pull yuh pips, yuh could walk across in movietowne easy easy and court, buy a lil icecream and go and take in a movie or a burger king.

You go pass up dat to travel in a redband to go quite Arima to see d under 20 side. Steupssss.

I went neither game cause why.....I had to perform my duties as a midfielder for meh fete match side. My fete match sweat and the lime and drinks that accompanies it takes precedence over any schoolboy football or under something TT team.

Doe get vex for people not going to watch the under 20's. Get vex with the organizers for not making the game a Double Header in the Stadium. They woulda get all them Vene who living woodbrook to come and watch the game.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline mangoseed

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »
better yet they shouldnt have it on a SSFL match day
shoulda had that together with the strike squad vs USA
woulda benefited everyone

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »
Ok then tell me the "entertainment value" the T&T vs Jamaica go have and then tell me how much crowd coming to peeps woman in da lime. And I not talking pedophiles lookin' for 15 yr old gyul eh

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 07:27:16 PM »
Ok then tell me the "entertainment value" the T&T vs Jamaica go have and then tell me how much crowd coming to peeps woman in da lime. And I not talking pedophiles lookin' for 15 yr old gyul eh

breds doh get vex at de truth...we have trouble pulling crowd for de senior team WC qualifying games......men want to get vex at attendance for U20 friendly....

Touches:  yuh had meh rolling wid yuh last post.....yuh didn't have to hit de man so hard  :rotfl:

Offline doublesandsolo

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 07:31:54 PM »
scores in Sunday's Game anyone

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 08:51:50 AM »

These are the factors that will determine if crowd go to the match.

1) If TT win or draw the first leg people might go, if we lose by 1-0 men might go. If we collect about three, nobody wasting time to go to the game and that is FACT.

2) Stadium and time of day. Arima gets no crowd. Manny Ramjohn Marabella gets the most followed by HC then Ato boldon Couva. If the game is midweek then the organizers cyar be stupid and have the game 3:30 when big people wukking. The traffic situation makes it impossible for anyone leaving POS to drive to Arima, Marabella, Couva etc for a kickoff at them times.

3) What other option is on for entertainment? If Intercol Finals or some other sporting event, concert, party, lime etc on people will weigh they options and see if the cost to put orn clothes, travel, entree fee, snacks, time etc is worth it compared to doing something else.

4) Try and remember people have a LIFE. There are more important things to do when the afternoon time come, Watching the Under 20's is akin to pullin teeth and an exercise in frustration. If the first game had about 30 people and 10 were Vene....so is 20 left..... Besides Patriot I sure the other 20 people in the first game was every player girlfriend, father and mother...............but wait..... If is 18 men on the side.....and every man bring a person.....hrm..... Shit the maths ent wukking.....or is it man mother, father and girlfriend ent even come to watch them play too.  ???

Lastly......D under 20 side is a shit side. Yes its a TT side but they ent playing good atall.

Yuh remember the results of the three qualifying games before and who we struggle against.

People would prefer to see the under 17 side based on the performance on the field and the football being played.

Doe get vex at the truth, Intercol Semi final was a bigger event and got the bigger crowd.

Lastly I taking a shot at Patriot here....But if St. Mary's was in a national intercol semi-final against St. Augustine in the HC stadium you really feel he was going to drive quite up Arima to watch a under 20 game.    :rotfl:

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 11:03:09 AM »
The quotation surprising ; I recalled times in the 60's when we football was more touch and short passes. What  happening to we brand!!!!!!!!

You could have grandchlden in 46 years bro ... The boom boom ting tarted long before Iwer came on de scene ! Ever since ASL left the scene we have been known as a long ball team , although the strike squad did change that a bit.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 12:03:34 PM »
Quote from Touches

These are the factors that will determine if crowd go to the match.

1) If TT win or draw the first leg people might go, if we lose by 1-0 men might go. If we collect about three, nobody wasting time to go to the game and that is FACT.

2) Stadium and time of day. Arima gets no crowd. Manny Ramjohn Marabella gets the most followed by HC then Ato boldon Couva. If the game is midweek then the organizers cyar be stupid and have the game 3:30 when big people wukking.......

Lastly......D under 20 side is a shit side............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Touches, you made 1 useful observation about the reality of crowd support in the various stadia as it relates to location and time of kick-off. I agree. Well said and authorities better take note

The point about no support if T&T come back from JA losing has some truth based on the fact that T&T fans have shallow patriotism and that tends to be exposed when losing is occuring and the bandwagon becomes painful.

But what REALLY has me extremely dissapointed in you is the extreme callousness with which you used one of the more morale destroying lingo in T&T knowing full well is youths we taking bout. T&T is not a shit side Sir. That language is unacceptable for men who play and read this board. Is well known that all you have to do is say that to low self esteem T&T youths and they believe it unless you are strong like Stern John. I have some respect for the attempt to offer the "brutally honest" style of analysis but de shit side talk......dais real sick behaviour dread. Dat is serious collateral damage you imparting to rally some kicks on this message board. I support you when a little joke on the culture is mentioned with the Touches match report but when is we troops, you touch a wrong chord dread as a Jamaican would NEVER say dat about they own, win lose or draw.

The other possibility is that you REALLY believe that T&T has a "shit side" which means we are the worst of the worst as there is nothing worse than shit that I am aware of. In that case I think you are misguided as you missing something. That team has potential and there are some fairly talented individuals. I didn't say genius or stars. Practice will make a big difference. All I can say is that I hope you come on board to support even if we lose in JA. You already know that bandwaggonism is killing us and several of these posts are simply about rallying the troops. In one fell swoop you could kill the whole thing with a vicious comment. Any contemptuous thoughts could be reserved for Jackula and company who are destroying our football like a malignant cancer, not Peltier,Tinto, Bartholomew, Radanfah and Downing. Deep down I know you know that otherwise you wouldn't be on the radio and putting so much effort into match reports so I know you go be alright
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 12:34:23 PM by dreamer »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 03:52:38 PM »
Dreamer

If it is that me saying that the TT team is a shit side is morale destroying for those who read my post. Then they have no right to be playing or representing TT. Because they should be called worse than that.

How you mean it is sick behaviour.

If you doe like my opinion and if you find calling  the TT team a shit side is such a sin, well doe read my posts and move orn.

What is it you doe like? You doe like me saying the TT side is shit or you vex that as a Trini I saying how it is.

I support you when a little joke on the culture is mentioned with the Touches match report but when is we troops, you touch a wrong chord dread as a Jamaican would NEVER say dat about they own, win lose or draw.

Dreamer you are being very hypocritical with that statement, so it is all right to call something shitty but I cyar call TT shitty and you saying a Jamaican would never do that......breds please...So you vex because I am Trinidadian and I describing my team as I see it.

Yes dreamer I really believe that this Under 20 side is the worse. We are at home and we draw to Barbados and we Lorse to St Vincent and we were 15 minutes away to being eliminated by St Kitts.

If that is your high standard and you accept that breds good for you.

Any contemptuous thoughts could be reserved for Jackula and company who are destroying our football like a malignant cancer, not Peltier,Tinto, Bartholomew, Radanfah and Downing.

WHY?  ??? Why you could agree with me if I cuss Jack, but I cyar cuss them fellas.....To you they may be big names. To me them is BIG MEN who getting paid to play professionally, who cyar make a simple trap or pass and have no clue as to what going on vs teams who is Nobody or nothing( Yes I disrespecting them fellow Caribbean islands) They are not sides.

Breds you cyar reserve a comment for one and not another...YOU are being a hypocrite.

Lastly I want you to answer me honestly.

HAVE YOU WITNESSED WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES ANY UNDER 20 GAME?

Be Honest.

If you have then you are simply delusional. If you have not, then I can see why my comments would offend you.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 04:02:18 PM »
Yes I have witnessed the team play. I don't like to see them struggle..but I still maintain they are not a shit side. End of story.

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 06:28:58 PM »
Lastly I taking a shot at Patriot here....But if St. Mary's was in a national intercol semi-final against St. Augustine in the HC stadium you really feel he was going to drive quite up Arima to watch a under 20 game.    :rotfl:

That was a LOW blowTouches!!!  >:(  But yuh right I WOULD have gone to the Intercol!  ;D

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »
Patriot, I asked this question before but never got a response. Who has the top responsibility for marketing strategy as it relates to attendance at these under 20 games etc. Could you mention the person's name please and listed portfolio and the organization that he or she belongs to. Serious question that interested members on this board need to know and can use to start encouraging accountability and action.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 07:06:05 PM »
If you feel somehow uncomfortable saying it on the board you could send me a PM

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 08:40:50 PM »

game sounded good, thanks for the report

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 05:47:18 AM »
Now lets kicks those yardies asses !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>