March 28, 2024, 04:24:59 AM

Author Topic: Men's U-20 Football Team Thread.  (Read 71271 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Men's U-20 Football Team Thread.
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2018, 12:42:07 AM »
U-20 Men pull off 3-1 win over French Guiana on Rochford double.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 20 Men’s team closed off their three-match campaign at the Guadeloupe six-nation tourney with a come from behind 3-1 victory over French Guiana on Monday in Guadeloupe.

Midfielder John-Paul Rochford came off the bench for the second straight match to notch a double and assist on another item to lead Russell Latapy’s troops to their first win of the tournament after suffering 2-0 and 2-1 defeats to Costa Rica and Martinique on Saturday and Sunday.

French Guiana took a 20th minute lead but T&T hit back through Rochford in the 46th minute before Shaqkeem Joseph scored the go ahead goal in the 60th minute on Rockford’s assist. The Santa Rosa FC player then grabbed T&T’s third item six minutes later. T&T had a couple further chances but settled for the 3-1 victory at the final whistle.

Costa Rica defeated Haiti 4-3 on penalty kicks after both teams played to a 1-1 draw in regulation time in the Final. Martinique earlier got the better of Guadeloupe 2-1 in the the third place match.

Head Coach Latapy spoke about the team’s showing afterwards, saying he was somewhat pleased with being able to come away with a win in the closing match but nothing that there was much room for improvement.

“We started with some players who hadn’t played as much over the first two games as I wanted to give every player some time to gain experience and show what they are capable of,” Latapy told TTFA Media.

“We didn’t pass the ball as well as we can but I thought we had the better of the first half, creating a few chances on goal. But another lapse in concentration saw us concede and we had to come back and work ourselves back into the match which I thought we did well in by showing character and taking charge of the match.

“With the changes at half time we started to take control of the midfield and created better chances which we took with two really good finishes,” Latapy added.

The T&T team will continue its preparations at home with the CONCACAF Qualifiers set for November and Latapy mentioned that there were a few positives to take away from the tournament.

“We could take away a few things which is obviously the experience for the team at this level. Players are now understanding that international football has some key elements which includes hard work,desire to give everything and tactical awareness. It’s not only about technical ability which we are fortunate to possess but with still work to do to get up to the level  at which we want to be at,” Latapy concluded.

Results

T&T 3 v French Guiana 1

Team

T&T: – 20.Jabari Brice, 5. Jessie Williams, 12. Darnell Hospedales, 2. Kerdell Sween, 3. Deron John( 4. Jabari Graham, 53’) 14. Darnell Charles (8.Anthony Samuel,60’) 16. Isa Bramble (10. Judah Garcia, 46’) 17. Shaqkeem Joseph, 11. Jordan Riley (6. Brandon Semper, 30’) 13. Kishon Hackshaw, 7. Shem Clauzel (15. John-Paul Rochford, 46’)

Subs not used – 1. Denzil Smith; Jaydon Prowell (was not in squad)

Head Coach: Russell Latapy.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2018 CONCACAF Men's U-20 Championship Thread
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Men’s U-20 Team is drawn in Group A with USA, Suriname, Puerto Rico, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and US Virgin Islands at the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship. The tournament will be held in Bradenton, Florida from November 1–21.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:46:21 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 CONCACAF Men's U-20 Championship Thread
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Men’s U-20 Team is drawn in Group A with USA, Suriname, Puerto Rico, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and US Virgin Islands at the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship. The tournament will be held in Bradenton, Florida from November 1–21.

this is not a good competition format
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »
With Latapy/DJW at the helm, how long we lasting? :-[
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »
I will give Latas a pass. Not DJW.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »
We all want Latas to do well . . . but he certainly had time and opportunity enough. I wonder if Angus Eve mighten do better?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2018, 06:21:52 PM »
do we have a strong u20?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »
We all want Latas to do well . . . but he certainly had time and opportunity enough. I wonder if Angus Eve mighten do better?

I think Angus has done enough to earn an opportunity at the U-17 or U-20 level.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »

I think Angus has done enough to earn an opportunity at the U-17 or U-20 level.

d man went unbeaten in ah concacaf tourney and never get ah nex look....mind boggling
I pity the fool....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2018, 12:39:59 AM »
T&T U-20 Men in Group A of CONCACAF Championship.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago has been drawn in Group A of the CONCACAF Under 20 Men’s championship scheduled to take place from November 1st at the IMG Academy, Bradenton, Florida.

The tournament which also serves as qualifying for the 2019 FIFA Under 20 Men’s World Cup, comprises of six groups and following the draw on Thursday, T&T was placed alongside United States, Puerto Rico, St Vincent/Grenadines, Suriname and US Virgin Islands.The draw  was conducted using a single-blind system, involving five pots. Based on the Concacaf Men’s Under-20 Ranking, the top six ranked teams were seeded into position one of each group, while the remaining 29 teams  were distributed in five pots.

T&T will open their campaign against St Vincent on November 1st. They then face Puerto Rico on November 3rd, USA on November 5th , Suriname on the 7th and US Virgin Islands on the 9th of November.  Only the group winners will advance to the qualification stage which will be played in two groups of three teams each.

A new format was previously announced by CONCACAF for this championship, removing the regional Central American and Caribbean qualifiers and guaranteeing each entrant a minimum of four competitive games.

The competition will determine the four CONCACAF representatives at the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland. It will also determine the CONCACAF teams playing at the 2019 Pan American Games men’s football tournament in Lima. The United States are the defending champions. See Full Schedule following the link below.

CONCACAF Under 20 Men’s Schedule

RELATED NEWS

T&T U-20s drawn with USA, youth team still inactive due to unpaid TTFA stipends.
Wired868.com.

The Trinidad and Tobago National Under-20 Team, which has not kicked a ball in over a month, must topple the United States to have any chance at qualifying for the Poland 2019 FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

The young Soca Warriors, who were not among Concacaf’s six seeded under-20 teams, were drawn today with hosts USA, Puerto Rico, Suriname, the US Virgin Islands and St Vincent and the Grenadines. Trinidad and Tobago open their campaign on 1 November against St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Only the group winners advance to the next round, where four from the six competing teams will go on to the World Cup. The confederation’s under-20 competition, which will be staged at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, will also decide the qualifiers for the 2019 Pan American Games men’s football tournament in Lima, Peru.

Concacaf’s six seeded under-20 teams, according to a new ranking system, are—in order—the United States, Mexico, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and El Salvador. Trinidad and Tobago are ranked ninth in the confederation behind fellow Caribbean outfit, Cuba, who are seventh.

The National Under-20 Team have not trained since they returned from Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Games in August and coach Russell Latapy blamed their inactivity on unpaid salaries from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and, in particular, the perceived disrespect shown to the staff by president David John-Williams.

Concacaf Under-20 Championship

(Group A)

United States, Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Puerto Rico, St Vincent and the Grenadines, US Virgin Islands.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:15:23 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2018, 12:47:28 AM »
Underprepared T&T U-20 men worries Wallace.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Fol­low­ing on the heels of T&T se­nior women’s foot­ball team's failed cam­paign at the CON­CA­CAF Women’s Cham­pi­onship, William Wal­lace, pres­i­dent of the Sec­ondary Schools Foot­ball League (SS­FL), has raised con­cerns about the na­tion­al Un­der-20 men team’s readi­ness for the up­com­ing World Cup qual­i­fy­ing tour­na­ment in Flori­da, USA.

In an email to the me­dia yes­ter­day, the for­mer man­ag­er of the na­tion­al men's se­nior team said: "It is with ex­treme con­cern that we as an or­gan­i­sa­tion are ob­serv­ing an­oth­er de­ba­cle that awaits our na­tion­al U-20 men’s team at a World Cup qual­i­fy­ing tour­na­ment host­ed by CON­CA­CAF. The re­cent ex­pe­ri­ence of the se­nior women’s team is still fresh in our minds."

Un­der two weeks ago, the lo­cal women's team crashed out of the CON­CA­CAF fi­nal leg of the Women's World Cup qual­i­fiers, as they were beat­en in all three qual­i­fy­ing match­es, first go­ing down to Pana­ma 3-0, Mex­i­co 4-1 and then the USA 7-0 at the Sahlen's Sta­di­um in Cary, North Car­oli­na.

"We pro­vid­ed and con­tin­ue to pro­vide a plat­form for many of our play­ers who have ex­celled in na­tion­al colours in CON­CA­CAF and FI­FA com­pe­ti­tions. From the 1991 na­tion­al youth team, cap­tained by Dwight Yorke where sev­er­al of those play­ers on that team that qual­i­fied for the FI­FA Youth World Cup came through the SS­FL, to the women’s team of 2010 that par­tic­i­pat­ed at the FI­FA U-17 Women’s World Cup on our shores, the U-17 and U-20 men’s youth teams that par­tic­i­pat­ed at the 2007 and 2009 FI­FA World Cups, all these teams in­clud­ed play­ers that were part of the SS­FL sys­tem, not to men­tion the count­less teams that have made it to CON­CA­CAF Fi­nal round com­pe­ti­tions.

"It can't be busi­ness as usu­al," said Wal­lace, who added that for sev­er­al years, the SS­FL has been a strong sup­port­er of na­tion­al teams.

"At this time, the core of the U-20 men’s team is made up of play­ers from the SS­FL. It is well known that the mind­set of fu­ture na­tion­al se­nior team play­ers de­pends heav­i­ly on their ex­pe­ri­ences at the ju­nior ranks. There­fore we are very fear­ful that what could oc­cur in a cou­ple weeks time in Braden­ton, may not be some­thing our play­ers may want to re­mem­ber and will not au­gur well for those play­ers who are hop­ing that this tour­na­ment would af­ford them op­por­tu­ni­ties to be seen by the many scouts who take a keen in­ter­est in this age-group.

"Frankly, this sit­u­a­tion may con­tribute to killing the dreams of many of our play­ers," said Wal­lace in the re­lease.

The CON­CA­CAF Men’s Un­der-20 Cham­pi­onship is sched­uled to be played from No­vem­ber 1 -21, at the IMG Acad­e­my and T&T will face St Vin­cent and the Grenadines on No­vem­ber 1.

"All of our op­po­nents in­clud­ing the US, Puer­to Ri­co, US Vir­gin Is­lands and Suri­name have all been ac­tive for the past few weeks and oth­ers, for months, fever­ish­ly prepar­ing for their up­com­ing as­sign­ments while our team has not had one ses­sion to­geth­er as a unit in over four months.

"This can­not be busi­ness as usu­al. It is our hope that good sense will pre­vail in the short­est pos­si­ble time to have this team back in train­ing to give it even the slight­est pos­si­ble chance of ad­vanc­ing be­yond the group stage," said Wal­lace, who has con­firmed that the SS­FL will sup­port and is will­ing to en­gage in di­a­logue, to ex­plore what op­tions there may be to­wards as­sist­ing with the chal­lenges that are keep­ing this team off the train­ing pitch.

RELATED NEWS

T&T U-20 footballers starved for funding, training.
By Andrew Gioannetti (Newsday).

Wallace joins in criticism of TTFA national team programmes

TT’s Under-20 men’s team will enter the 2018 CONCACAF Under-20 Championship in Bradenton, Florida, United States in less than two weeks, underprepared and at the mercy of both the TT Football Association (TTFA) and the Ministry of Sport.

Having not engaged in training for nearly a month – in part due to the non-payment of salaries to Under-20 coach Russell Latapy and up to nine months in arrears to other staff members – Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) president William Wallace has joined in the chorus of criticism directed at the TTFA for neglecting the Under-20 national football programme.

In a media release issued yesterday, Wallace wrote: “It is with extreme concern that we as an organisation are observing another debacle that awaits our National Under-20 Men’s team at a World Cup qualifying tournament hosted by CONCACAF. The recent experience of the Women’s team is still fresh in our minds.”

The CONCACAF tournament runs from November 1-21. TT are in a tough Group A and will likely have to secure a win against the United States to stand a chance of topping the group and advancing to the next stage. Only the top-placed finishers in the group will move on and have a chance to qualify for the 2019 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Poland.

“At this time, the core of the Under-20 men’s team is made up of players from the SSFL. It is well known that the mindset of future national (men’s) team players depends heavily on their experiences at the junior ranks,” Wallace added.

Wallace, who said the SSFL has and continues to provide a platform for young national players to climb up the ranks, said, “We are very fearful that what could occur in a couple weeks’ time in Bradenton may not be something our players may want to remember and will not augur well for those players who are hoping that this tournament would afford them opportunities to be seen by the many scouts who take a keen interest in this age group.

“Frankly this situation may contribute to killing the dreams of many of our players.”

Contacted yesterday, TTFA board member Keith Look Loy confirmed the national Under-20 team programme was practically dormant because of the non-payment of salaries and described the latest national team debacle as “yet another situation where (the administration) is literally sending the lamb to the slaughter.”

Look Loy said several staff members attached to the Under-20 men’s programme have received back pay for up to three months, but added, “depending on the individual, they are still owed between eight and nine months’ back pay. So staff salaries is definitely one of the issues.”

According to Look Loy, the association presented a budget to the Ministry of Sport recently, but the ministry asked it to trim the budget, which Look Loy said it did “sometime late last week.”

He said he was unaware whether the ministry had released funding yet but could confirm that the Under-20 team is still not in training, with the championship drawing nearer.

“This administration is just waiting weeks before each team has to depart for their tournament to beg for money. They did it with the women, they did it with the Under-20 (men). I made a point in the last board meeting that we should not await a month or two before the Under-17s play, we should try to put everything in place for them now.

“Whether they will act on it, we will see.”

He said the Under-17 team is in “an equally derelict” situation.

“They play in March and there is nothing being done to help them.”

Sending off poorly and inadequately prepared national football teams has seemingly become par for the course for the TTFA, which most recently came under fire before the start of the CONCACAF Women’s Championship, a World Cup qualification tournament, after two players took to social media to beg for assistance in hosting a player camp before the tournament.

The TTFA also stood accused of failing to pay the players’ retainer fees, while TTFA president John-Williams appointed Shawn Cooper as coach of the team after an unconstitutional voting process. John-Williams, who took over the reins as association chief in November 2015, made a rare media appearance in a television interview recently and suggested the national team programmes were in a better shape than before his election. However, he gave no justification or examples.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 12:49:10 AM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2018, 07:28:08 AM »
 ;D NOT!!!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
this U20 cycle for us  was a waste ..................MY GOSH
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2018, 12:09:38 PM »
This is 1 of the most talented u20 teams to come out of TT in a long time its a shame they have no money to give this team to prepare.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
Anyone in the TTFA President's position with any shred of conscience or integrity would have resigned a long time ago. This administration almost makes me long for a return to the days of Jack and Ollie. DJW is not even fit to affix Camp's jock strap
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2018, 12:12:44 AM »
Anyone in the TTFA President's position with any shred of conscience or integrity would have resigned a long time ago. This administration almost makes me long for a return to the days of Jack and Ollie. DJW is not even fit to affix Camp's jock strap

Dude, please!. Doh start. We used to be cussin Jack and Ollie for some of the same things that happening now. Doh mention them people names as a relieve for the  ineptness of the present administration.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:14:42 AM by Deeks »

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »
How magnificent does RTK tenure at the helm look now?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »

I gave him some stick also. Mainly because he was unable to raise  the kind of money had promised that he would. In addition, he was PNM treasurer, Mayor of PoS and TTFA president. Most of us thought all those portfolios was a bit of a hindrance to his performance. But boy, I will swallow my pride and have him instead right now. DJW is a real ............... dissappoinment.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »

Like Beenhakker to DJW's Saintfiet
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:26:12 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2018, 07:24:15 PM »

Dude, please!. Doh start. We used to be cussin Jack and Ollie for some of the same things that happening now. Doh mention them people names as a relieve for the  ineptness of the present administration.

Lol we qualified for 4 world cups and 1 close shave under Jack and Ollie. Under DJW we cant even make it to CONCACAF qualifying. I mean literally, in some cases, can't put a team on a plane to play football.  We should not revisit that era, but DJW and his team, in terms of results, is a colossal failure, undoubtedly the worst TTFA president in decades.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:07 PM »
but DJW and his team, in terms of results, is a colossal failure, undoubtedly the worst TTFA president in decades.

I eh disagreeing with the above. But Jack was not an instant success as TTFA president. Is only when he got into FIFA's bank account we started to knock on the door. Not making any excuses for DJW, he is only in his first term and hopefully his last. But unlike Jack he is not in FIFA or Concacaf high offices. And I am almost sure those two entities will not allow another Trini get to their high offices.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:11:39 PM by Deeks »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2018, 11:39:40 PM »
My heart breaks for this team.

The questions that begs to be asked is why even send them?

I can't blame Latas for this one. Surely he can go to Scotland and do better?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »
My heart breaks for this team.

The questions that begs to be asked is why even send them?

I can't blame Latas for this one. Surely he can go to Scotland and do better?

VB

and then we risk being sanctioned by FIFA

I wonder if Visas have been attained for the players yet....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2018, 12:42:49 AM »
Under 20 Men prepare for Concacaf qualifiers.
TTFA Media.

The Trinidad and Tobago National Under 20 Mens Team will continue its preparations for the CONCACAF Under 20 Championship with a training session at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium at 9am on Wednesday.

The team under head coach Russell Latapy, is gearing up towards the World Cup qualifiers at the IMG Academy, Bradenton Florida in November.

T&T will feature in Group A and will meet St Vincent and the Grenadines in their first match on November 1st. They then face Puerto Rico (Nov 3rd), United States (Nov 5th), Suriname (Nov 7th) and US Virgin Islands on November 9th. Only the Group winners of the six groups will advance to the next phase of two qualifying from which the top two teams from each group will qualify for the 2019 FIFA Under 20 Men’s World Cup in Poland.

The 2018 CONCACAF Under-20 Championship will be the 6th edition of the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship (27th edition if all eras included), the men’s under-20 international football tournament organized by CONCACAF. It will be hosted at Bradenton, Florida, United States between 1–21 November 2018.

A new format was announced, removing the regional Central American and Caribbean qualifiers and guaranteeing each entrant a minimum of four competitive games.

The competition will determine the four CONCACAF representatives at the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland.It will also determine the CONCACAF teams playing at the 2019 Pan American Games men’s football tournament in Lima.

The United States are the defending champions.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2018, 12:48:03 AM »
"U-20s have nothing to lose"- Latapy.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

"We have noth­ing to lose," T&T's Un­der-20 foot­ball coach Rus­sell Lat­apy has said ahead of the World Cup Qual­i­fiers in Flori­da USA in two week's time.

A pro­vi­sion­al squad of 34 play­ers were cho­sen for the team's first train­ing ses­sion this morn­ing at 9 am at the Man­nie Ramjohn Sta­di­um in Mara­bel­la, since the team's re­turn from a tour­na­ment in Colom­bia, Ju­ly 31.

Team man­ag­er Alexan­dria Procupe is ex­pect­ed to sub­mit a fi­nal list of 20 play­ers to the CON­CA­CAF tonight, af­ter just one ses­sion. Lat­apy who has agreed to coach the team be­cause of his close re­la­tion­ship with the young play­ers, said as the team has not been train­ing reg­u­lar­ly, he ex­pects that there will be re­al­is­tic ex­pec­ta­tions from them.

His re­quest for a prop­er train­ing pro­gramme, which in­clud­ed at least 12 in­ter­na­tion­al match­es six months ago, was not met by the gov­ern­ing T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion, de­spite con­stant com­mu­ni­ca­tion.

Lat­apy, known af­fec­tion­ate­ly as "The Lit­tle Ma­gi­cian" in lo­cal foot­ball, promised that he and his lads will do their best at the qual­i­fiers, which will in­clude St Vin­cent and the Grenadines (SVG), Puer­to Ri­co, Unit­ed States, Suri­name and the US Vir­gin Is­lands in Group 'A'.

T&T opens against SVG on No­vem­ber 1, be­fore fac­ing Puer­to Ri­co No­vem­ber 3, USA No­vem­ber 5, Suri­name No­vem­ber 7 and the USVI on No­vem­ber 9. On­ly the top team will ad­vance. Lat­apy be­lieves his troops, in spite of their lit­tle to no prepa­ra­tion, should be able to hold their own against all the teams in the group ex­cept the home team.

"My main con­cern is the USA, the tour­na­ment's de­fend­ing cham­pi­on team. The prob­lem is that with just one team go­ing through, our play­ers need to be more than just com­pet­i­tive to beat the US. The US has played about 18 in­ter­na­tion­al match­es and has been re­ceiv­ing all the sup­port they need," Lat­apy said.

"We know the sit­u­a­tion with the T&TFA, which is un­for­tu­nate. This lack of sup­port for the boys has re­al­ly frus­trat­ed me, but we are go­ing to do our best and hope that it can take us through. The good thing is that play­ing in this tour­na­ment can be a life-chang­ing op­por­tu­ni­ty for the play­ers and we want to give them that op­por­tu­ni­ty," Lat­apy ex­plained.

Lat­apy con­clud­ed by say­ing he felt re­al­ly sor­ry for the young play­ers as they are such a tal­ent­ed bunch.

This year's qual­i­fy­ing tour­na­ment has tak­en on a new for­mat, with the re­moval of the re­gion­al Cen­tral Amer­i­can and Caribbean qual­i­fiers and guar­an­tee­ing each en­trant a min­i­mum of four com­pet­i­tive games.

The com­pe­ti­tion will de­ter­mine the four CON­CA­CAF rep­re­sen­ta­tives at the 2019 FI­FA U-20 World Cup in Poland. It will al­so de­ter­mine the CON­CA­CAF teams play­ing at the 2019 Pan Amer­i­can Games men’s foot­ball tour­na­ment in Li­ma.

Mean­while, a num­ber of Pre­mier Di­vi­sion teams in the Sec­ondary Schools Foot­ball League (SS­FL) have come out against the se­lec­tion of their play­ers with­out their knowl­edge. One coach from an east school said while he has no prob­lem with play­ers on na­tion­al du­ty, he was con­cerned by the man­ner in which his play­ers were tak­en with­out in­form­ing his school, ahead of to­day's key round of match­es.

How­ev­er, Shawn Coop­er, the Pre­sen­ta­tion Col­lege coach said he is not con­cerned by his play­ers be­ing called to na­tion­al du­ty, as they were ex­pect­ing this all along.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2018, 08:34:04 AM »
What's the purpose of calling up 34 children from school for a one day session? He can't not know at least 18 of the squad he moving with, by now.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
What's the purpose of calling up 34 children from school for a one day session? He can't not know at least 18 of the squad he moving with, by now.

they going thru the motions. They already know who they are picking.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2018, 07:08:42 AM »
Any idea of the list of players called to training? just curious

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2018, 07:16:56 AM »
Curious to see the list as well. The best players in SSFL played games yesterday so I wondering if they trained in the morning then played school football in the evening or they did not get selected in the national pool.  Players such as Riley, Sween, Hospedales,St. Rose, Coryat, etc

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:01:59 PM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>