March 28, 2024, 02:15:21 PM

Author Topic: Men's U-20 Football Team Thread.  (Read 71320 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 CONCACAF Men's U-20 Championship Thread
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »
can't believe benny can't get ah run in this team

On a cost-benefit analysis, was it worth it to fly him from Portugal? That question has to be asked. Not exclusively because he was used sparingly, but also because he wasn't even in the same time zone when the whistle blew to kick off the opening match, due to another moment of administrative genius. Of course, mere selection is no guarantee of playing time, but the narrative that preceded the tournament suggests that ~ 24 minutes of football for Benny, over the course of the tournament, falls squarely in the category of the unlikely (although I am mindful of his belated introduction many months ago in the tournament on home soil). It's the sort of question that would command the inquiry of the football media in football nations. One would imagine that he isn't injured as that is typically stated transparently. Was he a square peg in the coach's vision of round holes? Were there disciplinary or motivational concerns? Or, has he been held in reserve to dazzle the highly regarded USVI?

I am confused by Benny's absence as well.

In my opinion Benny and Garcia are the two best players on the team. Amazingly Benny saw no action against our toughest opponent the US and neither was played vs Suriname. In Garcia's case I understand he may have been rested due to a lot of action but what was the excuse for Benny.

Having your two best players on the bench and losing  2-0 makes no sense.

VB

Judah was left out because of yellow card accumulation.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 09, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
GOAAALLLL (1'): Nickel Orr gives Trinidad and Tobago U-20 an early 1-0 lead over US Virgin Islands. #CU20 #U20SocaWarriors #VIRvTRI

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 09, 2018, 02:37:24 PM »
Despite being ahead, we doh have control of the game. We have a lot of the ball but only 3 or 4 players are using it systematically.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:39:22 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 09, 2018, 02:51:23 PM »
HALF-TIME: US Virgin Islands U-20 0-1 Trinidad and Tobago U-20 (Nickel Orr 1').

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 09, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »
Despite being ahead, we doh have control of the game. We have a lot of the ball but only 3 or 4 players are using it systematically.

De "attackers" not really looking that interested.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 09, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
Isaiah Lee should not be on the field. Tell me dahis not Lee on de field.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:16:43 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 09, 2018, 03:12:31 PM »
Isiah Lee should not be on the field. Tell me dahis not Lee on de field.

Is he self. Came on for Nickel Orr at half time.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 09, 2018, 03:13:25 PM »

It would be a shame not to see this match out professionally. Almost at 60', we should be well ahead. Not convincingly, but ahead.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:26:55 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 09, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
Hackshaw should be offering more.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 09, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »
GOAAALLLL (77'): Isaiah Lee doubles Trinidad and Tobago U-20's lead over US Virgin Islands. #CU20 #U20SocaWarriors #VIRvTRI

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 09, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »

It would be a shame not to see this match out professionally. Almost at 60', we should be well ahead. Not convincingly, but ahead.

But for poor finishing and good goalkeeping, USVI could be at least on level terms.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 09, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
FULL-TIME: US Virgin Islands U-20 0-3 Trinidad and Tobago U-20 (Nickel Orr 1', Isaiah Lee 77', Che Benny 90').

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2018, 06:00:48 PM »
FULL-TIME: US Virgin Islands U-20 0-3 Trinidad and Tobago U-20 (Nickel Orr 1', Isaiah Lee 77', Che Benny 90').
Wait benny start or he get ah cobo... ah miss d game today

Sent from my BLU STUDIO C 8+8 using Tapatalk

I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »

Played the full game

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2018, 06:11:27 PM »

Played the full game

How he look? Did he stand out?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »

Played the full game

How he look? Did he stand out?
Ditto

Sent from my BLU STUDIO C 8+8 using Tapatalk

I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2018, 07:11:47 PM »
There was a visible moment when Latas wasn't happy with his decision-making. Che at the moment of the offence, immediately offered apologies, Latapy was not amused, appearing to engage in a mumbled follow-up comment with himself (Russell to Russell) as he walked back to the bench.

Benny, Rochford and Garcia presided over various free kicks and the first two players on corners. The quality of the Benny corners was not top shelf. For the most part, they did not create dilemmas for the GK or reach an attacking target. Flighted rather than powered/driven, they hung in the air too long and were comfortably taken. Also generated no second ball situations.

The goal he struck showed initiative and recognition, but it was late in coming to the scoresheet.

He did not strike me as a player with 90 minutes of industry in him, but he made contributions to bookmark the first (an assist to Orr, I think was his) and third goals.

As I reflect on the situation, my mind goes to Rodrigo Amaral who represented Uruguay in the 2017 U20 WC. He could strike any free kick immaculately but was the butt of many jokes in the international media because he had obvious mobility issues (Amaral has since shed the weight but he is still not comfortably a top flight pro). As I watched Che, I'm thinking he needs to be careful about his game not becoming one-dimensional and affected by the same viruses as Amaral.

Stretching the example to make a point. At Racing, they thought he was the best player with the ball at his feet. In other situations, they didn't view him as having a pro future in the top flight.

Of course, the certain difference is that Amaral was indispensable to Uruguay. It was the obvious rationale for bringing an unfit player to Asia. He played a role in the matches.

Still unclear as to whether the compelling reason for calling Che was because he was in Portugal.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:23:28 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2018, 07:48:05 PM »
Other critiques: I like Prowell, but part of his homework is to figure out how to not be called offside particularly when the opponent is not actively trying to lay an offside trap. I would have been happy had he managed to spring himself free on goal on at least one of the situations, but he didn't read the situations sufficiently well. Backing him to get it right. Like the player!

Orr: still seems to be growing and negotiating how to balance his growing body with his feet. I see why he is a player that gets the nod. I think he has a potentially big upside as the Yanks say. He needs to play more confidently as he approaches goal (vary stride length, change direction etc. Ends up on the ground too frequently for a player his size, victim to small axe). Know what he wants to do and do it! Doh half-step or half-decide. Play firm final balls in and around the area.

I don't recall seeing m/any crosses. A British coach would have died watching the conservatism on the flanks, without bread and butter. :P

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 09, 2018, 09:05:09 PM »
WATCH: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago U-20's 3-0 win over US Virgin Islands

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NJjOLvb9Wx8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NJjOLvb9Wx8</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 09, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
There was a visible moment when Latas wasn't happy with his decision-making. Che at the moment of the offence, immediately offered apologies, Latapy was not amused, appearing to engage in a mumbled follow-up comment with himself (Russell to Russell) as he walked back to the bench.

Benny, Rochford and Garcia presided over various free kicks and the first two players on corners. The quality of the Benny corners was not top shelf. For the most part, they did not create dilemmas for the GK or reach an attacking target. Flighted rather than powered/driven, they hung in the air too long and were comfortably taken. Also generated no second ball situations.

The goal he struck showed initiative and recognition, but it was late in coming to the scoresheet.

He did not strike me as a player with 90 minutes of industry in him, but he made contributions to bookmark the first (an assist to Orr, I think was his) and third goals.

As I reflect on the situation, my mind goes to Rodrigo Amaral who represented Uruguay in the 2017 U20 WC. He could strike any free kick immaculately but was the butt of many jokes in the international media because he had obvious mobility issues (Amaral has since shed the weight but he is still not comfortably a top flight pro). As I watched Che, I'm thinking he needs to be careful about his game not becoming one-dimensional and affected by the same viruses as Amaral.

Stretching the example to make a point. At Racing, they thought he was the best player with the ball at his feet. In other situations, they didn't view him as having a pro future in the top flight.

Of course, the certain difference is that Amaral was indispensable to Uruguay. It was the obvious rationale for bringing an unfit player to Asia. He played a role in the matches.

Still unclear as to whether the compelling reason for calling Che was because he was in Portugal.

Thanks Seeker.

Our players' development is severely stymied by obvious tamperings at all levels.

We will certainly struggle in our region, let alone the world stage if we don't get the likes of Garcia to a strong European club earlier than later.

Let's see how Lee does in his senior debut in Iran
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:50:29 PM by Cocorite »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 09, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »
Garcia: silky :applause: Needs to fly out asap.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #291 on: November 10, 2018, 01:44:55 AM »
Look Loy rubbishes U-20s failure on Super League.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

PRESIDENT OF the TT Super League, Keith Look Loy, has rubbished claims made in a recent newspaper column that the League had to take the blame for the failure of the T&T Under-20 team to qualify for the 2019 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Poland.

The Russell Latapy-coached T&T team ended their Group A phase yesterday with a 3-0 win over the United States Virgin Islands.

The T&T team defeated St Vincent/Grenadines 3-2 on November 1 and Puerto Rico 5-1 two days later. However, the team suffered a pair of defeats – 6-1 to the hosts US on Monday and 2-0 to Suriname on Wednesday.

Look Loy, in a recent interview, stressed, “That (rationale) is absolute rubbish. My natural inclination would be to avoid any response to this but a lot of people, inside and outside of the Super League have called me to express their absolute disgust with this article.”

According to Look Loy, “To allocate blame to the Super League for the Under-20 team not playing in the Super League is absolute rubbish.”

He continued, “We made a place for them, I have an e-mail to that effect from the general secretary (of the TT Football Association Justin Latapy-George), saying that they could not pay the ($45,000 registration) fee and therefore we had to go ahead without them.”

Look Loy, who is also the owner of top Super League club FC Santa Rosa, said, “Secondly, if the (writer) is saying we could have gone ahead with this team, a team that wasn’t training for months, could you imagine the disruption to our League that would have caused? This was a concern of ours that I expressed to them before we approved a place for them, and they said ‘no it would be fine’.

“We didn’t stop the team from being active, it was the TTFA’s failure to pay staff. If they didn’t play in the League, it was for those two reasons. For months, there was no national Under-20 team.”

The outspoken Look Loy stressed, “It is absolute folly and disingenuous for (the writer) to suggest that the team (could) not qualify for the Under-20 World Cup because we didn’t allow them to play. It totally ignores the problems that I just described – a team with no funding, no planning, no reliable staff, a team without a vision of where it was going (and) was abandoned for months by the TTFA.

“Further evidence is that the team got monies on Monday because days before the team left is when the budget was submitted to the Ministry of Sport,” he added, with reference to the $452,855 cheque received by the TTFA for the Under-20 team’s campaign.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #292 on: November 10, 2018, 01:52:31 AM »
T&T sink US Virgin Islands 3-0.
By Ryan Hamilton-Davis (Newsday).

National U20s end campaign with a win as:

BOUNCING BACK from an embarrassing defeat at the hands of the United States junior team, the T&T Under 20 squad mowed down the US Virgin Islands yesterday in a 3-0 trouncing at their final group match at the CONCACAF U20 Championships.

The win comes as redemption to their brutal 6 - 1 loss against the United States, and gave them an added three points to put the team in second place in their group with nine overall points, but it was not enough to take them to the next stage, as only the group winners would qualify to advance.

Nikel Orr opened the scoring in the first minute of play,at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, capitalising on an incisive left field pass which outpaced Virgin Island defenders. Orr placed the ball to the right side of the goal, leaving goalie Connor Querrard flat-footed.

The team tried to reproduce the magic for the remainder of the first half by making more attacking plays on the left field, but were unable to get the same result.

The pace picked up in the second half with T&T dominating play, and the Virgin Islands doing the majority of defending.

The defenders’ resolve was eventually broken in the 77th minute, when substitute Isiah Lee put the ball past the keeper once again, after it was fed to him from a cross ball.

Minutes before the final whistle, midfielder Che Benny also beat the keeper.

He shot a rocket from the top of the 18-yard box, which was too hot for the goalie to handle. The ball slipped through Querrard’s fingers for a third goal. The under-20 team will return home on Monday.

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago: 20.Jabari Brice (GK); 18.Kerdell Sween, 5.Justin Homer (Yellow 22) (7.Mark Ramdeen 74), 2.Mikel Mieres (8.Jabarry Francis 57), 17.Matthew Beal, 10.Judah Garcia, 15.John-Paul Rochford, 12.Kishon Hackshaw, 11.Che Benny, 13.Nickel Orr (6.Isaiah Lee 46 - Yellow 68), 9.Jaydon Prowell.

Unused substitutes: 1.Denzil Smith (GK), 3.Derron John, 4.Jerrin Jackie, 14.Ethan Bonaparte, 16.Luke Singh, 19.Shaqkeem Joseph.

Coach: Russell Latapy.

USVI: 1.Connor Querrard, 10.Humberto Delgado III, 3.Orion Mills (Yellow 35), 15.Grant Farrell, 20.John Engerman, 6.Ramesses McGuiness (Yellow 90), 16.Rakeem M. Joseph (17.N. Seidon Thomas 88), 9.Jett Blaschka (capt) (Yellow 45), 11.Quinn Farrell (Yellow 32) (12.Jimson St Louis 85), 2.Alfred Harris (19.De Vaunte Moses 78), 18.Nikhil Verna.

Coach: Joseph Limeburner.

Highlights: U.S. Virgin Islands 0 - 3 Trinidad and Tobago

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:56:35 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 11, 2018, 01:29:12 AM »
T&T sink US Virgin Islands 3-0.
By Ryan Hamilton-Davis (Newsday).

National U20s end campaign with a win as:

BOUNCING BACK from an embarrassing defeat at the hands of the United States junior team, the T&T Under 20 squad mowed down the US Virgin Islands yesterday in a 3-0 trouncing at their final group match at the CONCACAF U20 Championships.

The win comes as redemption to their brutal 6 - 1 loss against the United States, and gave them an added three points to put the team in second place in their group with nine overall points, but it was not enough to take them to the next stage, as only the group winners would qualify to advance.

Nikel Orr opened the scoring in the first minute of play,at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, capitalising on an incisive left field pass which outpaced Virgin Island defenders. Orr placed the ball to the right side of the goal, leaving goalie Connor Querrard flat-footed.

The team tried to reproduce the magic for the remainder of the first half by making more attacking plays on the left field, but were unable to get the same result.

The pace picked up in the second half with T&T dominating play, and the Virgin Islands doing the majority of defending.

The defenders’ resolve was eventually broken in the 77th minute, when substitute Isiah Lee put the ball past the keeper once again, after it was fed to him from a cross ball.

Minutes before the final whistle, midfielder Che Benny also beat the keeper.

He shot a rocket from the top of the 18-yard box, which was too hot for the goalie to handle. The ball slipped through Querrard’s fingers for a third goal. The under-20 team will return home on Monday.

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago: 20.Jabari Brice (GK); 18.Kerdell Sween, 5.Justin Homer (Yellow 22) (7.Mark Ramdeen 74), 2.Mikel Mieres (8.Jabarry Francis 57), 17.Matthew Beal, 10.Judah Garcia, 15.John-Paul Rochford, 12.Kishon Hackshaw, 11.Che Benny, 13.Nickel Orr (6.Isaiah Lee 46 - Yellow 68), 9.Jaydon Prowell.

Unused substitutes: 1.Denzil Smith (GK), 3.Derron John, 4.Jerrin Jackie, 14.Ethan Bonaparte, 16.Luke Singh, 19.Shaqkeem Joseph.

Coach: Russell Latapy.

USVI: 1.Connor Querrard, 10.Humberto Delgado III, 3.Orion Mills (Yellow 35), 15.Grant Farrell, 20.John Engerman, 6.Ramesses McGuiness (Yellow 90), 16.Rakeem M. Joseph (17.N. Seidon Thomas 88), 9.Jett Blaschka (capt) (Yellow 45), 11.Quinn Farrell (Yellow 32) (12.Jimson St Louis 85), 2.Alfred Harris (19.De Vaunte Moses 78), 18.Nikhil Verna.

Coach: Joseph Limeburner.

Highlights: U.S. Virgin Islands 0 - 3 Trinidad and Tobago

Beating the U S Virgin Island 3-0 is not bouncing back.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #294 on: November 11, 2018, 01:45:49 AM »
T&T U-20 coach laments team’s attitude.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

T&T Under-20 football team coach Russell Latapy has lamented the attitude shown by his squad on Friday, during their 3-0 win over the United States Virgin Islands in their final Group A game, in the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship, at the IMG Academy, Bradenton, Florida, US.

Nickel Orr, Isaiah Lee and Che Benny were the goal-getters for T&T, who failed in their bid to qualify for the 2019 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Poland.

In the six-team group, TT finished with nine points from five matches, with the hosts topping the group with a 100-percent record.

“Honestly when we left home I said to myself if we can come out with seven points then I would be very happy so I think it’s a plus altogether that we came out with three victories after five games,” said Latapy. “But (on Friday) I was very disappointed with the performance and in the attitude of the players.”

The 50-year-old Latapy continued, “So far I have given them a lot of credit for the way they went about their business but (on Friday) there were just really bad performances and I said to them in no uncertain terms in the dressing room that that’s unacceptable when you are representing the national team.

“I know the preparations were not what we hoped for and it was going to be difficult against the US and having to come back from a 6-1 defeat but (on Friday) I was just looking for good attitude, getting the ball down and the move the ball about.

It’s not about scoring a lot of goals alone but it’s about doing things the right way and the process in which we go forward and the way we want to play football.

“But in my mind (on Friday), I called it schoolboy football. Everybody was trying to play for themselves, taking too much touches on the ball. It was just a poor performance all-round. I think that attitude, desire, that they showed in the (other) games was missing. I just was not happy with what I saw,” ended the ex-national men’s team playmaker, captain and coach.

The T&T Under-20 squad are set to return home tomorrow.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 11, 2018, 07:43:11 AM »
Honest comment from Latas.

One of the unfortunate outcomes in this saga is that Latas doesn't get the opportunity to refine this squad, by bringing in deserving players who would have been contenders for  roster spots, replacing those who were not up to par during the tournament had we moved on. There is talent in this age group and the time to keep them engaged is now.

By the way, kudos to the staff for making the event despite the financial impasse!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:28:32 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 12, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
Is there any private entity or entities willing to partner with the TTFA to form a REAL academy for Boys and girls, please step up. TT at this moment is unable to compete effectively in this competition.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 12, 2018, 01:59:10 PM »
Is there any private entity or entities willing to partner with the TTFA to form a REAL academy for Boys and girls, please step up. TT at this moment is unable to compete effectively in this competition.

I keep dreaming (BTW what ever happened to Dreamer?)

I keep dreaming that somebody with deep pockets and the clout (Respected by all) would set-up and implement a winning program which taps into and shocases our natural, god-given talent in football.

Someone who knows the rich history of our players and clubs competing and playing with some of the best in Europe.

I guess I am longing to see our Mbappe's and Latapy's and Judah Garcia's and Lincoln Phillips, and Gally Cummings type players be harnessed, live together in camps and produce football that would be the envy of the region, the world.

I still feel there is a better brand of football than Man City and Barcelonia which comes from "Friends" living together and having a deep chemistry borne out of kinship and selflessness (ala Kante).

But I confess. I'm a Dreamer. I feel like Dr. MLK Jr.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 12, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »

I keep dreaming that somebody with deep pockets and the clout (Respected by all) would set-up and implement a winning program which taps into and shocases our natural, god-given talent in football.

Someone who knows the rich history of our players and clubs competing and playing with some of the best in Europe.

I guess I am longing to see our Mbappe's and Latapy's and Judah Garcia's and Lincoln Phillips, and Gally Cummings type players be harnessed, live together in camps and produce football that would be the envy of the region, the world.

I still feel there is a better brand of football than Man City and Barcelonia which comes from "Friends" living together and having a deep chemistry borne out of kinship and selflessness (ala Kante).

We already had a fella with deep pockets and plenty clout. Be careful what you wish for ;D

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 12, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »

We already had a fella with deep pockets and plenty clout. Be careful what you wish for ;D

Yeah buh yuh miss meh definition of clout (Respected by all)  ;D

1]; } ?>