March 28, 2024, 06:15:53 AM

Poll

What is it that you don't like/dislike about Wim??

His Inexperience
No Plan or training structure
Poor Results thus far
Just don't like him
Needs more time
Does not understand Trinis

Author Topic: WIM AND A PRAYER  (Read 4208 times)

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
WIM AND A PRAYER
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:21:56 AM »
Wanted to pose this question as most of the posts have been negative.

Is there anyone who sees the light at the end of the tunnel?

Is there anyone who knows the approach WIM should take?

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WIM AND A PRAYER
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »
I do not dislike him. To soon to judge, he has a much more difficult task than Beenie and is in a similar situation to McClaren with England, where he was the assistant to the previous head coach. The good thing for him, unlike McClaren, is he is associated with a successful regime. I think his hardest job is, unlike Beenhaker, he has to make more use of the local based talent. He will have to play games with little (if any) foreign based to save his bacon. If we get licks in the Digicell, jus watch the verbal licks that will follow for him. Beenhaker basically said most of our local based wasn't good enough and simply ignored the majority, as it was World Cup qualifying the foreign based was only too happy to turn up. Yuh aint go see that fuh the Digicel. So we should be able to make a fair judgement then.

If I do have a problem with him it is that he seems to be giving out more negative than positive vibes when assessing performances, he is associated with the regime that dismissed our PFL as not worth the effort of looking for talent and so far has said nothing that looks like that mindset has altered. Also, as people already know I didn't like his comment that made it seem (to me anyway) that we are heavily reliant on Stern to win games. Is not like any strikers get ah good run in the side (other than Stern) to make such a considered judgement.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:32:23 AM »
man have real factors against him.

welcome to coaching in a small country.

1. poor local league standards.
2. an aging team.
3. club vs. country pressures.
4. little time with key players (i.e. british leagues) before games.

i say, work with a local base on a regular basis. have them play grenada if he have to. just get them playing together regularly. augment with foreign based when they available.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:50:43 PM »
My only issue with Wim is dat he has never been de head coach, a first in command of a national team or to my knowledge, any club team before.

I would have felt more assured with someone who has been there and done it. I could be ignorant but I doh want the Warriors to be the guinea pigs for the establishment of Wim's career as a coach. I just get de feeling dat we starting small again after making it relatively big. Keep in mind our local standard is largely not international standard.

But I agree that time will tell and I would love to eat meh words.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 03:52:44 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 03:55:43 PM »
He needs better PR and to express himself more with the media. Yuh never know what he is currently thinking as his personality is kinda intraverted and allows people to feel he eh know what he doing. Da cyah work in T&T, yuh have to speak up and at least look like yuh in control. I hope he will prove his mettle but he is a mystery to me to be honest. I hope all the players respect him without the Beenie factor. Shaun Fuentes is a good resource for that perspective
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:58:41 PM »
Give the man an opportunity to put things together. Why do we continue to expect miracles overnight. I'm tired of the argument of giving local players a chance. These coaches know what is needed at the international standards and if we have enough players at home who could handle playing at that level, then they will be used. Everytime a local player reach a respectable level we ship them off hoping for them to become the next Yorke or Latapy, therefore, the remaining local players are not good enough to play at the international level...simple as that.
When Brazil; Argentina; Nigeria etc start to play with their local based players then we could consider that option!!!
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
Give the man an opportunity to put things together. Why do we continue to expect miracles overnight.

Well ah waiting, ah waiting but I watching good. I just giving meh $0.02

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 04:06:45 PM »
My only issue with Wim is dat he has never been de head coach, a first in command of a national team or to my knowledge, any club team before.

I would have felt more assured with someone who has been there and done it. I could be ignorant but I doh want the Warriors to be the guinea pigs for the establishment of Wim's career as a coach. I just get de feeling dat we starting small again after making it relatively big. Keep in mind our local standard is largely not international standard.

You have to start somewhere so we cannot discredit him because he has never been a head coach. Look at the job Beenie did and consider that Wim was his understudy for a long time, those experiences as an assistant had given him many tools to help him be ready for his first Head Coach position. Think about how many coaches who were given opportunities and did not have nearly the similiar experiencs as Wim.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 06:11:43 PM »
Everybody needs a 1st job and it helps if it is a promotion unless it is the Peter Principle. Don Leo consulted the man so he must have some faith in him.

I cyah Don Leo having any hounds around him except locals who the TTFF give him.

Give the man a chance
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 06:55:52 PM »

if he is disastrous with us will that help his career as a coach ? look here grande yuh have to start some where in every profession if yuh want ah big wuk in a large corp as an accountant unless yuh have link or lucky yuh most likely have to work in a small business do a good job then move up apply and  move up what yuh think  shabazz doing what is he doing with Guyana.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 07:17:34 PM »
All yuh who saying give the man a chance - how much chance he should get? This man with this team over 18 months now, and things ain't no better.

All yuh seem to forget the type of $$$ this man getting, and he not doing sh*t. All our teams in disarray - we moving down the rankings, we can't secure quality games - for that type ah paper I would expect my Head Coach to be aggressive in his approach to his task, but this is a good position for Wim, getting paid for nothing - sounds like the former "ten days" programme.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 07:41:41 PM »
I can only comment on what I have heard because I am not home.

These are my limited observations.

Wim has been working with the national team for about 5 months (I think). He knows as well as us that the foreign based going to be too old for 2010. He is aware and has stated that our local based are not up to par. He continues to stress that the local players need to play with the foreign based to get experience but it is becoming clearly evident the foreign based not going to be available often.

Wim has not reached out to the local coaching community to share with them his vision. I haven't heard of him having any big role with the youth teams. He has not done anything to improve the standard of what is potentially his future playing pool the PF. If he wants to get a competent team to work with he needs to get help developing all the players possible. As the thread topic states he has to be hoping on a prayer because I have not seen anything progressive from him.

I don't think that Wim feels a connection to our foorball. He seems unwilling to build from the ground up. If a good CEO takes over a business and it doesn't have proper infrastructure he will put that in place to enusre success. Complainig about what is not available does not get anyone closer to success.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 10:43:52 AM by rippin »
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:06:09 PM »

if he is disastrous with us will that help his career as a coach ? look here grande yuh have to start some where in every profession if yuh want ah big wuk in a large corp as an accountant unless yuh have link or lucky yuh most likely have to work in a small business do a good job then move up apply and  move up what yuh think  shabazz doing what is he doing with Guyana.

If you is the manager / owner of dat big corp, ent you will want experience? Somebody with a few years' seasoning, so there is more assurance dat your business may prosper? Everybody have to start somewhere - I agree. But "starting somewhere" also implies uncertainty and bumps along the way to get where you want to reach. Don't blame me if I don't want dat risk with the Warriors, post-WC. Why yuh think people does want 'experience' in their new employees these days.

I think allyuh missing meh point. I agreed to give de man time and dat I would love to have my insecurities regarding Wim amount to nothing. I would love fuh him over the next four years to really get to know our talent pool and capabilities and nurture it and create something stable. We deserve that after so many decades of football heartache. And I realize that could happen - time will tell.

I doh have anything against Wim. I eh petitioning for his removal. I just concerned about de inexperience, but like everybody I watching and waiting.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 08:36:24 PM »
All yuh who saying give the man a chance - how much chance he should get? This man with this team over 18 months now, and things ain't no better.
All yuh seem to forget the type of $$$ this man getting, and he not doing sh*t. All our teams in disarray - we moving down the rankings, we can't secure quality games - for that type ah paper I would expect my Head Coach to be aggressive in his approach to his task, but this is a good position for Wim, getting paid for nothing - sounds like the former "ten days" programme.

Ok boss, Wim only been in charge since the end of July/beginning of August. The rest of the time he has been with the national setup, Beenhakker was in charge, and we qualified for a world cup in that time. So your argument not really making any sense.

As for us moving down the rankings, I think it is fair to say that most ppl here doh understand how we could have moved down that far, especially below St. Vincent, who we beat 5-0 recently. Now to me, I doh think u could blame that on Wim, that is the fault of the ranking system. Now doh get me wrong, I agree that Wim still have plenty work to do to make me believe that he is the right man for the job, but doh come and just state random bits of info that have nothing to do with what goin on and den look to blame Wim for it. Daz just being ignorant

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:10:34 PM by trinikev »
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
That poll is totally biased to give negative responses.  There should have been at least one choice for a positive response or disagreement with the negative.  It is destined to give only a negative view of the coach.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 11:00:46 PM »

Wimp is ah genius.

He astutely saw that the local players are a waste of time and said so to the national media.

He backed out of 2 games that he knew we stood no chance of winning and got games against 2 top latin american powerhouses and won them.

He has decided to travel to US in search of talent that will transform the local game.

He has trained and coached the national team on at least 4 occasions.

He lost to Austria but he immediately identified that our players are too slow and lack intensity, of course only a coach with a knowledge of people motivation would be brave enough to say this .

I think Wimp will win the Digicel cup, win Gold Cup and will qualify us for the 2010 WC as top in the CONCACAF.

However if he doesn't qualify us for the Gold Cup or take us past the first round of the WC qualifiers , he should be still praised since maybe we did not give him enuff time and the players we have are just not talented, too lazy, like to beats too much and are beyond coaching by a genius like Wimp.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline TRUwarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 08:23:53 AM »
It looks like wim is the 2006 version of bertille
he does not command the same respect as leo
and he aint gettin 100% out of dem players
why was leo a good fit for TNT?
he came in a high profile coach....who demands respect
he also got yorke and latapy to buy into his system
which helped get the rest of the team motivated and focused
in his defence...we have not had a meaningful tournament or qualifying to play in,
so the players are still in "friendly" mode, getting them back into that frame of mind
is his major challenge.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 08:48:46 AM »

Wimp is ah genius.

He astutely saw that the local players are a waste of time and said so to the national media.

He backed out of 2 games that he knew we stood no chance of winning and got games against 2 top latin american powerhouses and won them.

He has decided to travel to US in search of talent that will transform the local game.

He lost to Austria but he immediately identified that our players are too slow and lack intensity, of course only a coach with a knowledge of people motivation would be brave enough to say this .

I think Wimp will win the Digicel cup, win Gold Cup and will qualify us for the 2010 WC as top in the CONCACAF.

However if he doesn't qualify us for the Gold Cup or take us past the first round of the WC qualifiers , he should be still praised since maybe we did not give him enuff time and the players we have are just not talented, too lazy, like to beats too much and are beyond coaching by a genius like Wimp.

you  issues get yuh head examined.... since when he said the local players are a waste???  if they a waste why does he pic them then eh???

They went to the usa to look at under 23 under 20 and under 17 players mostly

i notice you dotn  mention the part whim  vow to improve the team  eh. why dont you mention the part where he say the local  will improve when they train and  play international games along with  the foreign based. why yuh neva make reference to an article when whim and anton say they play to have a locl team traning before the digicel cup and next year or sumthign and they want at least 2-3 players in every position . but yuh could read his comments.... that they just want to blow out of proportion
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:54:40 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 05:24:56 PM »
Just came up on some WIM info. Like his playing career though.

PERSONAL:
NAME: Wilhelmus Gerardus Rijsbergen
BORN: 18 January 1952, Leiden, the Netherlands
CLUBS: Roodenburg, PEC Zwolle, Feijenoord, Feyenoord, SC Bastia, New York Cosmos, Helmond sport, FC Utrecht; Ajax, DS'79, Roodenburg, DWS, FC Volendam, NAC, FC groningen, Universidad Católica, Al-Ittifaq, América
POSITION:  Defender
LEG: Right
INTERNATIONALS: 28

TITLES:
1973/'74 - Europe cup III Feyenoord
1973/'74 - Dutch champion Feyenoord
1974 - silver on WC - Netherlands
1976 - bronze on EC - Netherlands
1978 - silver at WC - Netherlands
1980 - American champion New York Cosmos
1982 - American champion New York Cosmos
1984/'85 - Dutch Cup - FC Utrecht

TRANSFERS:
180,000 from Zwolle to Feyenoord (not sure what currency)

PLAYING CAREER:
SEASON CLUB           DIV          GAMES GOALS
1970/'71 PEC Zwolle (Ned2)            26        0
1971/'72 Feyenoord (Ned1)               6         0?
1972/'73 Feyenoord (Ned1)              25        0
1973/'74 Feyenoord (Ned1)              27        0 
1974/'75 Feyenoord (Ned1)              25        1
1975/'76 Feyenoord (Ned1)              30        0
1976/'77 Feyenoord (Ned1)              32        0 
1977/'78 Feyenoord (Ned1)              28        0

1978/'79 SC Bastia (Fra1)                 18        2 

1979 New York Cosmos (NAm1)      25        0
1980 New York Cosmos (NAm1)      21        0
1981 New York Cosmos (NAm1)      26        2
1982 New York Cosmos (NAm1)       3         0
1983 New York Cosmos (NAm1)      11        0

1983/'84 Helmond Sport (Ned1)       21         0 
1984/'85 FC Utrecht (Ned1)              9          0 
1985/'86 FC Utrecht (Ned1)              9          0

COACHING CAREER:
1986/'88 Ajax (Ned1) – YOUTH COACH
1988/'89 DS'79 (NED2) – ASSISTANT COACH
1989/'91 Roodenburg (NedAm) - ASSISTANT COACH
1991/'93 DWS (NedAm) - COACH
1993/'95 FC Volendam (Ned1) – ASSISTANT COACH
1995/'97 NAC (Ned1) – ASSISTANT COACH
1997/'98 FC Groningen (Ned1)"/'" – ASSISTANT COACH (dismissed)
1998/'99 - no club
1999 Universidad Católica (Chile1) - YOUTH COACH
2000 -2001 Universidad Católica (Chile1) – COACH (dismissed)
2002/2003 Al-Ittifaq (SAr)"/no club - COACH
2003/2004 América (Mex1)  - ASSISTANT COACH (dismissed)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 05:36:50 PM »
I am all for giving wim a chance, but I need to see ome kind of influence on the team. What is his signature? How can we who are not in the background know that he has the system in a gear and not just neutral, while the system coasting and he just steering.

It's like cooking callaloo. Almost everyone could make it. Some really good some really bad, and some okay. The thing is that each one will have a different and distinct taste. That right there is my problem. I can't get a taste. Maybe he still cleaning the Callaloo bush.  ??? ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 10:20:52 PM »

Wimp is ah genius.

you  issues get yuh head examined.... since when he said the local players are a waste???  if they a waste why does he pic them then eh???

They went to the usa to look at under 23 under 20 and under 17 players mostly

i notice you dotn  mention the part whim  vow to improve the team  eh. why dont you mention the part where he say the local  will improve when they train and  play international games along with  the foreign based. why yuh neva make reference to an article when whim and anton say they play to have a locl team traning before the digicel cup and next year or sumthign and they want at least 2-3 players in every position . but yuh could read his comments.... that they just want to blow out of proportion

When yuh holding yuh head bawling end of January nex year ah going tuh jus shake mih head at yuh .

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 10:55:35 PM »

Give the man a chance. It is way too early to judge.   

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 11:04:12 PM »
Allright. I'll say no more about this man.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 06:32:47 PM »
Ah feel when this man go to bed at night he does cry he self to sleep an have nightmares .and if he does talk in he sleep ah woh geh ah taperecorder jus to hear wat he saying about d warriors .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 01:02:23 PM »
Well I have never seen a local coach come close to the career and experience as wim has, so I don't know why men so quick to jump down the man throat. All I have to say is our players have to raise their game, not only with their feet but with their minds!

1]; } ?>