March 28, 2024, 01:30:46 PM

Author Topic: CONCACAF to Lobby for Four World Cup Spots  (Read 4498 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
CONCACAF to Lobby for Four World Cup Spots
« on: November 27, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »
CONCACAF to Lobby for Four World Cup Spots
By: USSoccerPlayers

November 27, 2006

CONCACAF General Secretary Chuck Blazer will be lobbying FIFA for four automatic spots in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, as was learned on the heels of this past weekend's CONCACAF Executive Committee (Exco) meetings in Los Angeles.

In the 2006 World Cup, CONCACAF received three automatic bids (United States, Mexico and Costa Rica). In addition, Trinidad & Tobago qualified out of the region after a two-leg playoff victory over Bahrain, the fifth place finisher in Asia.

"When we look at the performance of CONCACAF's fourth team in Germany 2006, Trinidad & Tobago, we see a team that not only held Sweden to a draw but was also just minutes from achieving a similar result against England," said Blazer. "Certainly there is an excellent case that CONCACAF has the strength in depth to justify four automatic spots in the 2010 World Cup."

CONCACAF Exco also made several other decisions over the weekend, most notably a proposal by the CONCACAF Secretariat to develop the CONCACAF Champions' Cup into a larger "Champions' League" style event, beginning in 2009, which they will act upon. CONCACAF will also support a proposed bid by the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation to host the U17 FIFA Women's World Cup in 2010.

CONCACAF Wants Four Automatic World Cup Spots
By: Goal.com

The CONACACAF Executive Committee (Exco) met in Los Angeles on Friday and agreed to lobby FIFA on four automatic berths for the region at the next men's World Cup.

Among the issues discussed and decisions made, the Exco will lobby FIFA for four automatic spots for the 2010 FIFA World Cup being held in South Africa.  For the 2006 World Cup, CONCACAF received three-and-a-half (3.5) spots and saw four teams from the region take part: Costa Rica, Mexico, the United States, and Trinidad & Tobago, which, with the “.5” spot, got past AFC representative Bahrain in a playoff to reach the country’s first World Cup.

CONCACAF General Secretary Chuck Blazer commented, "When we look at the performance of CONCACAF’s fourth team in Germany 2006, Trinidad & Tobago, we see a team that not only held Sweden to a draw but was also just minutes from achieving a similar result against England. Certainly there is an excellent case that CONCACAF has the strength in depth to justify four automatic spots in the 2010 World Cup."

Another decision that came out of Exco’s meeting was a motion to to develop the CONCACAF Champions’ Cup™ into a larger “Champions’ League” style event, beginning in 2009. Such and event, likely, would raise the profile of each of the region’s leagues and participating clubs. In the case of MLS, for example, it could increase the importance placed upon the regular season if berths to the larger-scale event are tied to league performance. A major criticism of MLS’s current set-up is the playoff system devalues the regular season.

Other notable decisions made by the Exco include:

>>requiring all member associations of CONCACAF, from 2007, to have a representative on their own Executive Committee responsible for the development and management of a women’s football program.

>>supporting a proposed bid by the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation to host the U17 FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2010.

>>pursuing implementation of the FIFA-approved Referees Assistance Program (RAP), which is aimed at increasing the quality of refereeing at all levels of football around the world by supporting a structure at the national association level to develop referees

>>lobbying FIFA for an increase in FIFA Assistance Program (FAP) to Confederations, a program that has not been increased for eight years although in this same period the number of events in the global football calendar has increased dramatically.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:18:48 AM by e-man »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF to Lobby for Four World Cup Spots
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:25:34 AM »
would be nice but i doh see it happening after concacaf nations performance in germany 06 (apart from ours of course).

2002 was a different story. that is how concacaf was able to hustle that last 1/2 spot.

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:29:29 AM »
Canada was working towards Champions League admission in 2008.  We were very close for 2007, but it didn't happen. 

Montreal and Vancouver has quality teams and organizations and can hold their own vs MLS.  With Toronto having MLS in 2007, now is the time. 

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:30:06 AM »
never thought I would see the day when TnT performance would be used to justify more world cup spots. :rotfl: :rotfl:

This is actually funny because if you really look at it.

America take real licks in the group of death.
TnT take even more licks we aint even score a goal! or create some decent foward looking attacking football
Costa Rica was in a mess

Mexico did ok

Concacaf was real mess in the last world cup.

However

Asia was more crap
and Africa is severly over rated.

Concacaf deserve 4 spots
i would like to see FIfa do more to include more cross region competitions.

maybe the top teams in concacaf would be invided to afican nation cup and vice versus we already do it in the gold cup but it need to expand more

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:50:05 AM »
never thought I would see the day when TnT performance would be used to justify more world cup spots. :rotfl: :rotfl:

This is actually funny because if you really look at it.

America take real licks in the group of death.
TnT take even more licks we aint even score a goal! or create some decent foward looking attacking football
Costa Rica was in a mess

Mexico did ok

Concacaf was real mess in the last world cup.

However

Asia was more crap
and Africa is severly over rated.

Concacaf deserve 4 spots
i would like to see FIfa do more to include more cross region competitions.

maybe the top teams in concacaf would be invided to afican nation cup and vice versus we already do it in the gold cup but it need to expand more

It would be nice if CFU could get 1 1/2 spot. One automatic berth and a playoff against the 3rd place finisher from north and central americas.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 12:20:14 PM »
Never happen.  Australia leaving Oceana for Asia has upset the balance a bit.   It has strengthened Asia, who had a weak display in Germany.  The split of a spot between Concacaf and Asia will remain as is.  South America will not get a spot either, because Australia leaving (no disrespect to New Zealand) has virtually guaranteed them of winning that playoff with Oceana.  I say the allotment will remain as is.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:28:17 PM »
I agree KND, cross region is de answer after we fight up in we own group. Is de bess answer to propaganda that Asia better dan we and all that crap. Is painful lobbying and counterlobbying for extra spots in de World Cup based on all kind of inflated reputations from scores against different types of opposition. Leh we settle all dat robber talk on de field and like we did against Bahrain & silence those who nagging and pouting for extra spot. We earned dat spot in Germany so Bahrain, Iran, Uzbhekistan cyah tell we nutten!. Fuh real
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 06:18:30 PM »
It go be nice but I eh see it happening
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 08:16:18 PM »
.....Doh see it happening, nor do I think it is warranted.  Africa deserve more spots(s) and Europe deserve less before we should get a next spot..

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »
CONCACAF wants more World Cup spots
http://www.espnfc.us/blog/world-cup-central/59/post/1943792/concacaf-wants-more-world-cup-spots

it's up to tt to step up and play for that top 3... and they can do it, costa rica play well as a team and really don't have great talent like tt, so the onus is on us to achieve and stop being the perrennial underachievers

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
I think Asia can do without one of their spots. All the talk used to be about CONCACAF has too many but we are good enough, just didn't have the luck of the draw (especially Costa Rica). As long as they don't make our play-off spot something difficult then I'm good.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 07:05:55 PM »
This makes sense to me:

UEFA-12
CAF- 5
CONMENBOL-6
AFC- 3.5
OCENIA-.5
CONCACAF-5

or

UEFA-12.5
CAF- 5
CONMENBOL-6
AFC- 3.5
OCENIA-.5
CONCACAF-4.5

Regardless of the number of spots, TT needs to step up.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:08:35 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »
They might have to go to 40 teams (8x5 groups) soon.
If not, UEFA go with the 9 group winners; then the 8/9 UEFA 2nd place teams should be matched up against the also rans from the other federations.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »
As much as CONCACAF teams performed really well this World Cup with 3 of the 4 teams making it to the second round, I don't think we deserve that fourth spot, far less a fifth. There is a significant drop off in quality after the top 2 or 3 teams.

Mind you as a Trini, it would be nice as it would make it easier for us to qualify.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »
As much as CONCACAF teams performed really well this World Cup with 3 of the 4 teams making it to the second round, I don't think we deserve that fourth spot, far less a fifth. There is a significant drop off in quality after the top 2 or 3 teams.

Mind you as a Trini, it would be nice as it would make it easier for us to qualify.

the only reason there is a drop off in quality bc uefa has so many spots, every 4 years, their teams have access to a higher level of football, which is strengthened by their leagues... when you look at population, they shouldn't have so many spots to begin with, in terms of revenue and ad revenue it may be skewed substantially...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »

Way I see it is that Asia could lose a spot; they did not have a stellar World Cup:  Japan was disappointing, Australia showed potential, but with nothing tangent to justify it, Iran was solid although a bit unlucky, and South Korea was OK.  That spot should go to Concacaf.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
Always thought Oceania should get a guaranteed place, so we can better represent the world. Not a fan of taking or removing slots based on a world cup or two, although the idea of confederation rankings would be interesting :)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 11:52:50 AM »

Way I see it is that Asia could lose a spot; they did not have a stellar World Cup:  Japan was disappointing, Australia showed potential, but with nothing tangent to justify it, Iran was solid although a bit unlucky, and South Korea was OK.  That spot should go to Concacaf.

I would agree that Asia could lose a spot. Never thought they deserved as many as they have, especially since they got an extra spot to accommodate Japan and Korea getting automatic qualification for co-hosting. And before Australia moved to Asia I would have recommended Oceania getting a full spot as opposed to a half. Now, not so sure. At one time I would have been in favour of Africa getting an extra spot. After the performance of their teams this world cup it would be hard to justify. I'd say South America (CONMEBOL) is probably most deserving of the extra half spot.

the only reason there is a drop off in quality bc uefa has so many spots, every 4 years, their teams have access to a higher level of football, which is strengthened by their leagues... when you look at population, they shouldn't have so many spots to begin with, in terms of revenue and ad revenue it may be skewed substantially...

I disagree with that. The reason there is a drop off is because they're not good enough, not because every 4 years UEFA sends more teams to the World Cup. You need access to quality games year round not just once every 4 years to improve. If we want to improve the quality of the lesser teams in the region then CONCACAF should change the qualification format to allow those teams more games against the powerhouses of the region. This has previously worked for Venezuela in CONMEBOL. The fact that there's a reason for a lack of quality does not change the fact of the lack of quality. You could think of it this way: If we get a whole extra spot and send a team (whichever country) that's not good enough and they take some serious licks how we going to hold onto the spot? Right now we're in a position of strength because 3 of the 4 teams we sent made it through to the second round, but if we really serious about getting an extra spot we need to improve the strength of the other teams in the region first so that if/when we get to 4 or 5 spots we could show similar results.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
... costa rica play well as a team and really don't have great talent like tt...

Where do you guys come up with these statements??
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 12:48:21 PM »
^^  Lower St John I noticed that part of his response too but didn't bother to respond to it.. some people have beliefs in their head that are not reality. If T&T does have such great talent then it must show on the field at club or national level. It's not about wishful thinking.

The domestic league and national team had consistent poor results over the years against foreign opposition. And individual talent is also lacking because most players fail miserably when going up against other players from different countries to land contacts for clubs in Europe.

How about stop the wishful thinking attitude and encourage the TTFF to develop a better structure to develop  the talent we have?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:57:09 PM by Sando prince »

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »
No way Asia should have more spots than Concacaf. 

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
No way Asia should have more spots than Concacaf.

Asia has Euro signs all over it; they're more likely to increase, rather than decrease, their spots

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
... costa rica play well as a team and really don't have great talent like tt...

Yeah, I was gonna tackle dat but ah leave it alone.

Meanwhile, Honduras twosing down de place ain't really make a compelling case for a fourth spot.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 06:01:17 PM »
There should be an automatic spot for the CFU champion vs Oceania.

A good cycle Jamaica/Trinidad/Cuba/Haiti will be competitive in a World Cup.

Plus it wld add great color, flair and storyline for the World Cup marketing.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 11:44:03 PM »

individually TT is more talented, always been the case for the most part, we are underachievers which had average coaches for the most part and struggled to play as a team... there is no talent shortage...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »

Yeah, I was gonna tackle dat but ah leave it alone.

Meanwhile, Honduras twosing down de place ain't really make a compelling case for a fourth spot.

TT are the perrenial underachievers, always had more talent than the other teams but never played as a team and won... that was our story for over a decade... not to mention average coaches and maybe some players not caring to give their heart and soul to the national team..

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 11:51:42 PM »

I would agree that Asia could lose a spot. Never thought they deserved as many as they have, especially since they got an extra spot to accommodate Japan and Korea getting automatic qualification for co-hosting. And before Australia moved to Asia I would have recommended Oceania getting a full spot as opposed to a half. Now, not so sure. At one time I would have been in favour of Africa getting an extra spot. After the performance of their teams this world cup it would be hard to justify. I'd say South America (CONMEBOL) is probably most deserving of the extra half spot.

I disagree with that. The reason there is a drop off is because they're not good enough, not because every 4 years UEFA sends more teams to the World Cup. You need access to quality games year round not just once every 4 years to improve. If we want to improve the quality of the lesser teams in the region then CONCACAF should change the qualification format to allow those teams more games against the powerhouses of the region. This has previously worked for Venezuela in CONMEBOL. The fact that there's a reason for a lack of quality does not change the fact of the lack of quality. You could think of it this way: If we get a whole extra spot and send a team (whichever country) that's not good enough and they take some serious licks how we going to hold onto the spot? Right now we're in a position of strength because 3 of the 4 teams we sent made it through to the second round, but if we really serious about getting an extra spot we need to improve the strength of the other teams in the region first so that if/when we get to 4 or 5 spots we could show similar results.

not true, africa has more talent than all nations combined but organization, match fixing, poor training and coaching has led to their stagnation..

the same goes for the caribbean, money talks and i wouldn't be surprised if match fixing is still present in cfu and thrives... the quality is there but the organization and money isn't, europe can afford to train their teams and avoid match fixing and players refusing to play bc their fed is corrupt... nothing to do with quality... exposure to better teams is key...

1]; } ?>