March 28, 2024, 04:29:24 PM

Author Topic: Halifax Chronicle-Herald: Hart Weighing Options  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Halifax Chronicle-Herald: Hart Weighing Options
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:59:54 AM »
Hart weighing options

Halifax coach wants better idea of the direction of the CSA

By GORDIE SUTHERLAND Sports Reporter

The next time the Canadian senior men's soccer team takes to the field it should have a permanent head coach in place.

Stephen Hart of Halifax filled in on an interim basis after Frank Yallop left in June to lead the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, but he's unsure as to whether he'll apply for the vacant job.

Deadline for applications is the end of January.

It's one of three major positions available within the Canadian Soccer Association, including technical director and chief executive officer.

'I'd like to see where the developments are going,' Hart said when asked why he has yet to apply. 'I'd like to see what direction the CSA itself is going.'

He said he's confident he can do the job. He served as Yallop's assistant before and is also the head coach of Canada's under-17 team.

'The situation is one where I would not have taken the interim position in the first place if I didn't think I had the confidence to do it,' said Hart, who is originally from Trinidad and Tobago but has called Halifax home for more than 20 years.

Hart had the reins for Canada's home-and-away series against Jamaica and a recent road game against Hungary. The team went 1-2.

Injuries and club commitments limited Hart's access to Canada's top players for the friendly versus Hungary, a 1-0 loss on Nov. 15.

Scoring was a problem throughout the three-game set.

'What we probably lacked is a bit of killer instinct around the penalty box and a little bit of composure as well,' said Hart, a father of three. 'The chances were definitely there. 'We should have done better.'

He said he enjoyed the experience.

'You look forward to challenges like that,' said Hart, first hired by the CSA in 2001.

Colin Linford, president of the CSA, was with Hart when the team faced Jamaica in Montreal in early September and also travelled to Hungary.

He said Hart did well and noted the team's results were secondary.

'He was put there, really, to stabilize the situation, to give the players a little confidence in that it wasn't their fault Frank left,' Linford said from his home in Kitchener, Ont.

'He has done all of those things.'

Linford expects Hart will apply for the coaching job.

Linford also said that while the race is wide open there's a movement to make sure the job is filled by a Canadian.

'There's a lot of support for a Canadian coach because they understand that it's not the normal national coach position that one would have in other country, i.e., if you're in Europe you tend to go and watch a game every Saturday. We don't have that because we don't have a league as such.

'There's going to be that part of the equation that some coaches from overseas don't understand and maybe don't like.'

Canadian national team defender Ante Jazic of Bedford said Hart would be a popular choice. The two go way back. Hart coached Jazic in youth soccer.

'I spoke to a lot of the fellas and they were all impressed with Stephen's work over the Jamaican series,' Jazic, 30, said recently from Los Angeles where he played this past season with the Galaxy. 'I know, coming from the players' point of view, no one would have a problem with the selection of Stephen Hart.'

Hart and Linford agree that getting the men's team more games is a priority.

Linford said he'd like Canada to take full advantage of the 10 international breaks, allotted each season.

'Those would be 10 dates we'd be seeking opposition, whether it would be in Europe or whether it would be CONCACAF,' Linford said.

Among the other challenges is making sure players are available. The MLS, which will have a Toronto entry next season, does not recognize international breaks.

An increasing number of Canadians are signing to play in the MLS.

'They've got to work with us and we've got to work with them,' Linford said. 'Talking to the MLS has to be a priority, too.'
gsutherland@herald.ca
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 09:02:05 AM by Winnipeg Fury »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax Chronicle-Herald: Hart Weighing Options
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:34:53 AM »
"The MLS, which will have a Toronto entry next season, does not recognize international breaks."
but i bet dem does let the USA players go to their matches
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 10:25:36 AM »
"The MLS, which will have a Toronto entry next season, does not recognize international breaks."

Yes, you are right, but this will be more of a problem now that Canada is in the league via TO.

How could they not recognize international dates ?  FIFA should drop the hammer. 

And MLS wonders why it is considered bush-league on the global stage.

For the first time, Hart is stating that he is seriously interested in the Canada job.  Sounds like he is indeed shopping himself around.  Canada, MLS, T&T........anyone else interested ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 10:28:57 AM by Winnipeg Fury »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 10:32:50 AM »
Mr ERROR FREE !! we want you to put in an applicatino for this job!!

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:23:44 PM »

Yes, you are right, but this will be more of a problem now that Canada is in the league via TO.

How could they not recognize international dates ?  FIFA should drop the hammer. 

For the first time, Hart is stating that he is seriously interested in the Canada job.  Sounds like he is indeed shopping himself around.  Canada, MLS, T&T........anyone else interested ?

Did I miss something WF. Nothing in this article suggest SH shopping himself around, why yuh always stirring things up

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:35:20 PM »

Did I miss something WF. Nothing in this article suggest SH shopping himself around, why yuh always stirring things up

Eh doorknob, what is the title of the article ?

If you have trouble reading the article and putting 2 plus 2 together, just get back to me and I will draw you a picture with crayons.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:44:24 PM »

Eh doorknob, what is the title of the article ?

If you have trouble reading the article and putting 2 plus 2 together, just get back to me and I will draw you a picture with crayons.

for once i will agree with WF on this one, sh is shopping, he didnt sign yet, sh love is for tt, everyone who knows him should know deep down in his heart he would love to coach tt in the WC..

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:23:05 PM »

'I'd like to see where the developments are going,' Hart said when asked why he has yet to apply. 'I'd like to see what direction the CSA itself is going.'

The CSA is going through a major overhaul.  As the article states, it will soon have a new COO, Technical Director and Head Coach.  With Toronto having MLS, there is no doubt that will open some doors for addtional coaching positions.  SH clearly wants to see where things are heading within the CSA.  If T&T did not have a coach right now, I think he might seriously look at it.

1]; } ?>