March 28, 2024, 08:26:39 AM

Author Topic: Da Vinci Code  (Read 20938 times)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Da Vinci Code
« on: May 21, 2006, 07:41:46 PM »
anybody but me think that there is some truth in it???
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 11:35:21 AM by Tallman »
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
Re: da vinchi code??????
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 09:21:02 PM »
The only truth is that it open at $77 million
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 10:00:04 PM »
None... Zero... nada. steups.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 10:08:37 PM »
The illuminaty, at its sinister best

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 10:24:46 PM »
i have not seen the movie or read the book, but it matters as much to me as is christ was really born on th 25th. I guess i am saying if you the movie can cast doubts on your  faith, you aren't as strong in your faith as you should be, so the movie serves a purpose to higlight those areas that might need addressing. I don't accept everything I read in the bible at face value and the same applies to the movie, I will not see a movie and beocme a nonbeliever.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:25:57 AM »
i have not seen the movie or read the book, but it matters as much to me as is christ was really born on th 25th. I guess i am saying if you the movie can cast doubts on your  faith, you aren't as strong in your faith as you should be, so the movie serves a purpose to higlight those areas that might need addressing. I don't accept everything I read in the bible at face value and the same applies to the movie, I will not see a movie and beocme a nonbeliever.
So without turning this into a cussout I pose this question to you.
If someone came up to you at your current age and tell you you're addopted. What would you do. And they got evidence of it.
What I'm saying iz not that I believe in the stupid movie but facts are facts and they got some. Matter of fact you didn't read the book or seen the movie which is verbatem your opinion is null and void on the story.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 08:48:46 AM »
I am in the process of reading the book, but I have delayed completion because i have a independent study to finish in order to graduate and hence I will not watch the movie until ah finish reading. But I have been following the media and the portrayal for and against the book.

In context of your question the point of my last post was that yes if indeed someone told me i was adopted I would be hurt after that i would want to confirm the evidence presented. So in this context i was saying the movie serves a purpose if it makes people think, and through investigations to verify what they saw in the movie they starting think about their faith.

I don't know if you are aware but a recent discovery is being touted as the gopsel according to Judas and it claims that Jesus asked Judas to betray him, does this really matter or does it matter that he died for our sins. Another recent article claims he is buried in Kashmir and there are many others. My two cents is to investigate further the question that rise form watching the movie.

Personally the members of my church are against the movie and would have a fit if they saw me reading the book, harry potter is even frowned upon because it has sorcerery . But i am my own person and i view these movies as strictly entertainment and will watch and read what i chose. Maybe I am wrong but hopefully as i grow in my faith I will see the errors of my ways.

But as you said I have not read the book or watch the movie, so my opinion is null and void, but that is exactly what it was my opinion even if it is misinform. An opinion that was not addressed directly at anyone, but if it fall in your garden....................

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 07:33:34 PM by trinindian »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 08:50:06 AM »
I believe that it could be true. I read the book and I've read Holy blood, Holy Grail. To me, Jesus having a wife and child doesn't take away from his message. To dismiss the argument out of hand is ridiculous.

Cantona how do you know that there is no truth to this?
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 09:01:56 AM »
O K  :challenge:  ;D The whole point is to make u beleive ,the satanist saying ah jesus like to play so high and mighty, he just like u normal. He:s tha bang thing  to ,remember,the protitute story is the same
one the preists use to discredit him with before they killed him,Its just being revised.

and dat ain"t even the whole story it way more sinister :nailbiting: I doh go to church ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 09:27:40 AM by Compre »

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 09:20:10 AM »
I believe that it could be true. I read the book and I've read Holy blood, Holy Grail. To me, Jesus having a wife and child doesn't take away from his message. To dismiss the argument out of hand is ridiculous.

Cantona how do you know that there is no truth to this?
I can't know. But I believe (with what little Faith I have  ;D)
Without getting into it, I object to Hollywood trying to reduce divinty to human standards. It is almost an attempt to deny that there is the possibility of something better than ourselves, and that as human beings we are destined to be bound by the "nature" that we know. It is like saying that it would be impossible for Jesus to do the unthinkable and not get married, have a family, pay a mortgage... and so, we "reduce" Him to just a mere mortal, which, (no matter how strongly you believe in Him) he was not.
But I did say I didn't want to get into it  ;D

/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 09:50:15 AM »
This "idea" that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were "involved" is not new. Various people over the years have beening coming forward with this kind of information. I first heard of the notion of Jesus and Mary Magdalene being a couple when I was 15 years old. There is something to that story, I just don't know for sure how truthful it is or isn't.

I don't think Hollywood was trying to "mortalize" Jesus. I believe the Hollywood folks just saw an opportunity to make big bucks and they rolled with it. The movie is an adaption of the book(novel) by the same name, which is based, in part, on the works of three researchers who wrote "Holy Blood, Holy Grail"...which is NOT a novel but equally controversial.

The one thing in the movie that stuck out for me was the discussion of the council of Nicea(sp). I would really like to know what went on there and which books didn't make the final cut in what we now know as the Holy Bible.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 09:52:05 AM »
at most the code is propaganda

most of their concrete facts deal alot with heresay and what ifs

by enticing one into an entire new wave of belifes or by allowing one the opportunity to question their faith the book and its apparent premises seek to develop questions rather than asnwer them

but then is christianity a process of self belief or in essense a belief in what others have stated as true
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 09:58:42 AM »
at most the code is propaganda

most of their concrete facts deal alot with heresay and what ifs

by enticing one into an entire new wave of beliefs or by allowing one the opportunity to question their faith the book and its apparent premises seek to develop questions rather than answer them

but then is christianity a process of self belief or in essense a belief in what others have stated as true

Propaganda to benefit whom?

Who is the "their" that you speak of?

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »
This "idea" that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were "involved" is not new. Various people over the years have beening coming forward with this kind of information. I first heard of the notion of Jesus and Mary Magdalene being a couple when I was 15 years old. There is something to that story, I just don't know for sure how truthful it is or isn't.

I don't think Hollywood was trying to "mortalize" Jesus. I believe the Hollywood folks just saw an opportunity to make big bucks and they rolled with it. The movie is an adaption of the book(novel) by the same name, which is based, in part, on the works of three researchers who wrote "Holy Blood, Holy Grail"...which is NOT a novel but equally controversial.

The one thing in the movie that stuck out for me was the discussion of the council of Nicea(sp). I would really like to know what went on there and which books didn't make the final cut in what we now know as the Holy Bible.
Pointman, they are trying to make a few bucks by mortalizing Jesus. If you portray Jesus as just another shmuck who ran off and got married, that makes him pretty mortal/ordinary. The notion of Jesus and M. Magdalene being "involved" is nothing new as you say, but that does not make it valid/trustworthy. We can't know (and I'm glad you said that you don't know how truthful it all is).
It is good to keep an open mind, but then we must always remain cognizant of the times we live in and the motivation of "researchers", movie-makers, priests etc. In the end, it is a matter of personal choice and belief, a gift given  to us by the same Creator that (IMHO) is under attack.
I too always wonder about what books make it into the Bible, who did the original transcriptions/translations etc... All good questions (keeping an open mind), but the danger of drifting too far to one side or the other should be avoided.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 10:10:43 AM »
propaganda to benift the masses of people that question religion, da vinci, freemasons, proiy of sion, opus dei, catholics, the pope,knights of templar. on the whole

and the "their" refers to dan browne and his co authors
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
Pointman the missing Books of the bible also known as the Apocrypha

The First book of Esdras

The second book of Esdras

The Book of Tobit

The Book of Judith

The rest of the Chapters of the Book of Ester

The Wisdom of Solomon

The Wisdom of Jesus
 The son of Sirach

The Epistle of Jeremy

The Prayer of Azariah

The History of the Distruction of Bel And the Dragon

The prayer of Manasses

The First Book of The Maccabees

The Second Book of the Maccabees

These book were the bridge between the old and new testaments ,if more info needed on why they were omitted or  info on the first six on the list just say.

There is also the Dead sea scrolls.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: da vinci code??????
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 10:53:53 AM »

Pointman, they are trying to make a few bucks by mortalizing Jesus. If you portray Jesus as just another shmuck who ran off and got married, that makes him pretty mortal/ordinary. The notion of Jesus and M. Magdalene being "involved" is nothing new as you say, but that does not make it valid/trustworthy. We can't know (and I'm glad you said that you don't know how truthful it all is).
It is good to keep an open mind, but then we must always remain cognizant of the times we live in and the motivation of "researchers", movie-makers, priests etc. In the end, it is a matter of personal choice and belief, a gift given  to us by the same Creator that (IMHO) is under attack.
I too always wonder about what books make it into the Bible, who did the original transcriptions/translations etc... All good questions (keeping an open mind), but the danger of drifting too far to one side or the other should be avoided.

I don't think that either the book or the movie was portraying Jesus as a "shmuck" who ran off and got married. The fundamental idea of the book/movie is that the Catholic church and hense Christianity in general is predicated on some falsehoods. The scene where Leigh Teabing(Ian McKlellen) tell Sophie and Robert that Jesus left Mary in charge to carry on his church and not Peter is the source of all the angst surrounding this book. That's why the Catholic church has a beef with it. Remember all the Popes trace their line back to Peter.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 10:56:03 AM »
Pointman the missing Books of the bible also known as the Apocrypha

The First book of Esdras

The second book of Esdras

The Book of Tobit

The Book of Judith

The rest of the Chapters of the Book of Ester

The Wisdom of Solomon

The Wisdom of Jesus
 The son of Sirach

The Epistle of Jeremy

The Prayer of Azariah

The History of the Distruction of Bel And the Dragon

The prayer of Manasses

The First Book of The Maccabees

The Second Book of the Maccabees

These book were the bridge between the old and new testaments ,if more info needed on why they were omitted or  info on the first six on the list just say.

There is also the Dead sea scrolls.

Compre, I'd respectfully submit to you that there were a lot more than these. Thank you for the list though.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »
Oh ho i know what you talking about, ;)  nah yah had to take them out, and I not going to say :rotfl:

Any way a fourth century scholar named Jerome included these,then Martin Luther put them in the appendix ,the Church of England later did the same thing.At first an Archbishop forbid It"so omission
,but later english  printers ignored the warning, and now these books are gone.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 11:42:18 AM »
Fellow Men...this is one thread i ain't posting in...but ah go read like hell, even if i hadda print it out when ah going to ah meeting.
I went Sunday (yesterday) to see dey show, after much opposition from dey relatives, but I had to see what all this buzz was about. Only to reach dey and see dey lines like WWWs join up. I go make another attempt next week.

So allyuh continue this thread, this one go be interesting....all ah asking is people doh get vex and doh start tur cuss, cause this time we dealing with religion and EVERYBODY opinion is RIGHT when it comes to religion.

ah just waiting on ah famous somebody to open he trap. (F*****)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: da vinci code??????
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 12:54:11 PM »

I don't think that either the book or the movie was portraying Jesus as a "shmuck" who ran off and got married. The fundamental idea of the book/movie is that the Catholic church and hense Christianity in general is predicated on some falsehoods. The scene where Leigh Teabing(Ian McKlellen) tell Sophie and Robert that Jesus left Mary in charge to carry on his church and not Peter is the source of all the angst surrounding this book. That's why the Catholic church has a beef with it. Remember all the Popes trace their line back to Peter.
When I say "shmuck" I am obviously exaggerating, but the central point remains: the notion of Jesus NOT getting married and living an "ordinary" (in that respect) life is central to the notion that He was a man less ordinary. I listened to my priest give a sermon in which he talked about love and (very) briefly about the movie/book. He spoke about unconditional love being reflected in selflessness. The idea is that Jesus chose to give up the earthly life in order to give himself fully to us; love unconditional and selfless.
It is obvious that some of the fundamental beliefs of the Catholic Church, the Anglican Church, the Mormon Church and all other churches/faiths are mired in uncertainty and to a certain extent, falsehood. This has to be so, because as humans, we are trying to interpret God's will against a backdrop of our own vanity, bias, agendas etc. We weren't there.
The very notion that Peter founded the institution we now call the Catholic church, is to me ridiculous; Peter cared about Jesus, not some dogmatic umbrella organization (doh cuss me please).
Another point I would like to make is that this debate is being portrayed as the Catholic Church against the author/movie-producers. This is not so. Any serious person of faith (no matter how small  ;D) could take issue. The Catholic church has been in the media defending itself against a negative portrayal (and well they should), but this affects us all.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 01:29:54 PM »
I saw the movie on friday...i never thought i would ever wait in line for a hr and half to see a movie...but it was decent, but not satisfactory.....but to get the full effect of the movie....you should definitely read the book....in my opinion it is very well written, and i've never read a book that quickly(and i's read real slow).....

angel and demons was better in my opinion though  ;D

but regarding about if there's any truth to some of the the issues in the book...who really knows?....there's been many books before this trying to prove/disprove many of the issues in the book, and none of them have been convincing yet......

however, if you think rationally, and go back to the times of the Council of Nicea, isn't it fact that the Church handpicked what gospels they wanted and left out ones they didn't "need"....I think this is prolly one of the sketchiest things about the church and it would be really interesting if we could get access to these missing gospels and see the other side of the story.....but as someone else said before, we are human and we all make mistakes

it's even scarier if anyone does research on the catholic church and their history(especially the treatment of women)....but let's not go there...

I think the most important thing in life is faith. 

So what if Jesus had a wife and children; I think every religion has its issues, and there will always be controversy, but i truly think one of the most important things in life is faith in God....

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 01:44:12 PM »
In my first post I mentioned what was the big deal with Jesus having a wife and child? Does it take away from his message? Well it shouldn't.

The Mormons believe that Jesus died and was resurrected and live here in the Americas(more enlightened scholars can fill in the blanks  ;D )  yet few people does take them on with that, but that's their belief.

Oh Cantona, it is true that all Popes(hense the Catholic church) trace their founding to Peter who is considered the first "pope".

The advent of this book/movie has made me again wonder about the missing years of Jesus' life. Is it just me who find, and have always found for that matter, that we only know of Jesus' life from birth to age twelve and then from age thirty to thirty-three to be a bit strange ???. Where was he and what was he doing between ages twelve and thirty. I truly believe that that information exists or at one time existed.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 02:26:18 PM »
thanks fellers for not turning this into ah cussout

i would put in my 2 cents later :beermug:

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 02:28:19 PM »
thanks fellers for not turning this into ah cussout

i would put in my 2 cents later :beermug:
Nah, it can't have no cussing in this one  :beermug:
I await your 2 cents.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »
me too Morvie - make it 5 cents

one of the best threads to date, well that ain't have nothin to do with dey ball

Morvie good start up man  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
however, if you think rationally, and go back to the times of the Council of Nicea, isn't it fact that the Church handpicked what gospels they wanted and left out ones they didn't "need"....I think this is prolly one of the sketchiest things about the church and it would be really interesting if we could get access to these missing gospels and see the other side of the story.....but as someone else said before, we are human and we all make mistakes

Just as an example, de Ethiopian Orthodox Church has 81 books in its bible. Dey incorporate many of de books dat other people throw out. Even de original King James version had books of de Apocrypha and den dey was removed. An of course many other denominations vary de contents of their bibles. In de end, is whatever works for you, but it is good tuh search fuh de "trute". Yuh may not find it and yuh might tie up yuhself, but at least yuh knowledge does increase.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »
alright i meditate enough and come up with this

we heard one side of the story. i.e the bible. and we all know there is 3 sides to every story (right, wrong and the truth) now nobody cyar say fuh sure that they know the truth because almost everyone i asked in my research told me that they are the same religion as their parents which proves that most of us are "waggonist".

we heard the diciples side why not hear from an onlooker!!!!!

some poeple could see proof right in front of their eyes and hold on to nothing claiming faith as their grounds. the founder of jehavah's witnesses was tried and found guilty of purgery and all kinds of theft and his succesor carried it on just to sell magazines and thats documented yet they still got churches all over the world.

i heard about religion in trini so it must have came over with either the french or the spanish or even the indians so what if they were all muslims then the whole ah trini woulda been muslims because this is passed on from generation to generation.

and the point about jesus being a man. duhhh that was the point of him comming to earth to be born, tempted, and made to feel pain just like us (how could he relate without having to deal with the biggest problem of all, w_m_n)

too much facts was presented to just ignore :beermug:

ok what i'm trying to get at is the fact that when evidence is provided you cant just brush it off and say "them trying to confuse we" because the story was based on actual facts, just the storyline was fabricated. knights did exist, da vinchi did exist, sion did exist, the painting is real and all they did was put 2 and 2 together and came up with this crazy story which is interesting because everybody knows there are missing books from the bible and some of the stories are missing. and if you think this book is anti-christ then you lost the point, the only point they were trying to prove was that catholics were corrupt and there is more to the story than what they were telling us.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 08:22:35 PM »

Just as an example, de Ethiopian Orthodox Church has 81 books in its bible. Dey incorporate many of de books dat other people throw out. Even de original King James version had books of de Apocrypha and den dey was removed. An of course many other denominations vary de contents of their bibles. In de end, is whatever works for you, but it is good tuh search fuh de "trute". Yuh may not find it and yuh might tie up yuhself, but at least yuh knowledge does increase.

tallman dred...yuh never cease to amaze meh...where de ass you get that info about an Ethiopian Orthodox church having 81 books in its bible ...lol.....we should call yuh wikipedia .. ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 08:41:05 PM »

tallman dred...yuh never cease to amaze meh...where de ass you get that info about an Ethiopian Orthodox church having 81 books in its bible ...lol.....we should call yuh wikipedia .. ;D

Is jes someting ah happen tuh know because of my interest in de country. CLICK HERE for more info.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>