April 24, 2024, 10:25:34 PM

Author Topic: Justin Gatlin trying out for NFL teams  (Read 2307 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Gatlin trying out for NFL teams
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:50:53 PM »
 HOUSTON (AP) -- Track star Justin Gatlin worked out for the Houston Texans on Tuesday, but coach Gary Kubiak said signing him was "not something we would do right now."

Gatlin, an Olympic gold medalist and co-world record holder in the 100 meters, tested positive for testosterone and other steroids in April.

Kubiak said Gatlin, who last played football in high school, had worked out for several teams over the last month. The Texans worked him out as a receiver and Kubiak said team officials told him he was "very impressive."

"I'm sure it would be a big step for him to step up and start playing football," Kubiak said. "But that looks like it's something that he's interested in."

Gatlin was banned from track by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency but still has the option to appeal the length of his punishment. While his Olympic medals are not affected, he's likely to lose his share of the world record when appeals process is complete.

Kubiak said he isn't worried about the steroids matter, because the NFL is allowing him to work out for teams.

"It was positive," Kubiak said of the workout. "He did a good job. Some of our people who were over there watching him were amazed at how fast he ran. I don't even know if he was full speed at that time. But he did catch the ball pretty good."

At 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, the 24-year-old has the size to be an NFL receiver. Houston already has a former track standout on their roster in Jerome Mathis.

Mathis, who once participated in track's U.S Olympic trials, earned a trip to the Pro Bowl last season as a kick returner. He was just moved to the active roster on Tuesday after missing the first 11 games with a fractured foot.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Justin Gatlin trying out for NFL teams
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:28:59 AM »
Ah read dat in de papers dis morning.  So what it mean?  He could start "clean" in annuder sport tuh cheat later?  Steups!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 03:10:37 PM »
de man have to make a living ...
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »
de man have to make a living ...

Is Christmas...K-Mart not hiriing?
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:27:10 PM »
unless all the sports come under one umbrella organization I guess there's no way to hold it against him.

the NFL steroid policy is very lenient in any case.  Shawne Merriman, a relatively big star, just got suspended for 4 games for testing positive earlier this season.  It's interesting that the public isn't making  a big deal about it when there is such an uproar over what's going on in baseball

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 11:38:57 AM »
unless all the sports come under one umbrella organization I guess there's no way to hold it against him.

the NFL steroid policy is very lenient in any case.  Shawne Merriman, a relatively big star, just got suspended for 4 games for testing positive earlier this season.  It's interesting that the public isn't making  a big deal about it when there is such an uproar over what's going on in baseball

It's all about money in the end you know. 

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 07:43:14 PM »
most americans could care less about track and field outside the olympics

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 12:24:26 PM »
most americans could care less about track and field outside the olympics
I have not followed US Track and Field field closely in recent years ... but when I did, I got the impression that it was followed closely in non-olympic years .. during the school year and the Grand Prix events .. have things changed?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 03:59:52 PM »
Nah, he is right.  The Balco scandal has not helped either, but Track gets no love in the USA.  It does do well on TV though, but in terms of asking a person on the street to name 5 premier track athletes, well, good luck....

They are sure to say Flo Jo, Carl Lewis, Jackie Joyner Kersee and others who are either dead or have not run in 10 years.
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>