March 28, 2024, 04:41:00 AM

Author Topic: Trini trio recognized for their efforts in NCAA  (Read 9305 times)

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Trini trio recognized for their efforts in NCAA
« on: December 01, 2006, 01:33:17 PM »
Fabien Lewis, Osei Telesford and Darryl Roberts were all named to the 2006 NSCAA All-South Atlantic Teams announced by the region's coaches on wednesday.

Mason center back, Fabien Lewis, keeping a close eye on the ball

Lewis, former Naparima, in his first and final season at George Mason University led the patriots to their first NCAA appearance in 10 years. Mason, playing in what is considered one of the stronger conference in the country (CAA) had a very successful season; finishing 12-6-3 overall which included winning the Yale soccer classic tournament, loosing on PK in their conference finals which earned them an at large bid to the NCAA. Lewis anchored the Mason defense that had 11 shot outs on the season and was ranked top 10 in the country in all defensive aspects for most of the season. For his efforts Lewis was named to the 2006 Yale Soccer Classic All-Tournament team, 2006 2nd team All Conference team, 2006 Men’s Soccer Championship team and now 2006 All South Region 3rd team.

Telesford heads one to goal

Telesford, after coming off an impressive summer campaign with the Carolina dynamo in the PDL (Professional Developmental League) helped guide the Liberty flames to a 9-6 overall record. In his final season for the Flames, Telesford and company came close to making a conference finals appearance but fell short, loosing in the semi-finals to Winthrop. However, for his efforts, Osei was named to the 2006 All Conference first team and 2006 All-South Atlantic first team.

Roberts battles for a head ball with Costal Carolina player

Darryl Roberts have a number of accolades to show for his services while playing for Liberty University and would surely go down as one of the most clinical strikers for the Flames. Although Roberts only scored 4 goals and had 3 assist this season(although he missed some key games because he was injnuried), he has been on fire for the earlier part of his career at Liberty University; tallying a total of 25 goals and 14 assist in his first two seasons.

Kingman
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 01:39:25 PM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trini trio recognized for their efforts in NCAA
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 03:12:44 PM »
congrats to these guys, but college football have a lot of variation. even in division 1 you could have some real soft sides

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 04:51:11 PM »
Men's Soccer Captain Julius James Named NSCAA First Team All-America

MISSION, Kan. (December 1, 2006) - Julius James (Maloney Gardens, Trinidad), a junior on the University of Connecticut men's soccer team, became one of just seven players to earn National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) All-America honors for the second consecutive season, as announced by the NSCAA Friday.

A total of 37 athletes from 31 schools were recognized, including seven from BIG EAST schools.

The All-America nod caps off a postseason full of awards for the junior defender. James finished the season as the BIG EAST Defender of the Year for the second-straight time after being tabbed as the 2006 Preseason Defensive Player of the Year. A 2006 M.A.C. Hermann Trophy semifinalist and two-time candidate for the award, he helped the Huskies hold opponents to 1.17 goals per game this season, while tallying five shutouts on the year and leading the Huskies to as high as No. 7 in the nation. As a two-time All-BIG EAST First Team honoree, James played and started in all 19 games this season, tallying two goals, including the game-winner at Marquette and one in the NCAA Tournament First Round game against Fairfield.

James, who earned Second Team recognition last season, is UConn's 10th First Team All-America honoree in school history and the third under Head Coach Ray Reid. He joins the prestigious company of: James Blozie (1949), Pedro DeBrito (1981), Carlos Fetterolf (1948), Chris Gbandi (2000 & 2001), R. Paul Hunter (1976), Frantz Innocent (1974), Erhardt Kapp (1980), Joe M. Morrone (1980) and Maurizio Rocha (1998).

The other repeat honorees were: Scott Jones (UNC-Greensboro), who claimed his third award and first-team repeaters Andrew Boyens (New Mexico) and  Greg Dalby (Notre Dame). Rounding out the list were second-team selections Tally Hall (San Diego State), Andy Iro (UC Santa Barbara) and Sinisa Ubiparipovic (Akron).

The honorees will be invited to the NSCAA All-America Luncheon, which will be held on Saturday, Jan. 13, as part of the 2007 NSCAA Convention. The winners of the men’s and women’s M.A.C. Hermann Trophy will be announced on Saturday, Dec. 2, in a news conference that will air live on ESPNews at 6:45 p.m. EST.

2006 NSCAA/adidas
Men's Collegiate All-America Team
NCAA Division I
First Team
Pos., Name, Cl., School, Hometown
K, Nick Noble, Sr., West Virginia, Damascus, Md.
D, Andrew Boyens *, Sr., New Mexico, Dunedin, New Zealand
D, Julius James *, Jr., Connecticut, Maloney Gardens, Trinidad
D, Jay Needham, Sr., SMU, Fort Worth, Texas
D, John O'Reilly, Sr., Lehigh, Arlington, Mass.
M, Greg Dalby *, Sr., Notre Dame, Poway, Calif.
M, Maurice Edu, Jr., Maryland, Fontana, Calif.
M, Ryan Maduro, Jr., Providence, Bristol, R.I.
F, Omar Cummings, Sr., Cincinnati, Old Harbour, Jamaica
F, Charlie Davies, Jr., Boston College, Manchester, N.H.
F, Edson Elcock, Sr., Old Dominion, Brooklyn, N.Y.
F, Joseph Lapira, Jr., Notre Dame, Lake Charles, Calif.

Second Team
Pos., Name , Cl., School, Hometown
K, Tally Hall *, Sr., San Diego State, Gig Harbor, Wash.
D, Andy Iro *, Jr., UCSB, Liverpool, England
D, Steve Purdy, Sr., California, San Jose, Calif.
D, Julian Valentin, Jr., Wake Forest, Lancaster, Pa.
M, Eric Avila, So., UCSB, Encinitas, Calif.
M, Nico Colaluca, Jr., Virginia, Coventry, R.I.
M, Sinisa Ubiparipovic *, Sr., Akron, Mentor, Ohio
M, Sal Zizzo, So., UCLA, San Diego, Calif.
F, Dane Richards, Sr., Clemson, Montego Bay, Jamaica
F, Tonci Skroce, Sr., Illinois-Chicago, Zadar, Croatia
F, Jarrod Smith, Sr., West Virginia, Havelock, New Zealand
F, Michael Todd, Sr., Hofstra, Cleveland, England

Third Team
Pos., Name , Cl., School, Hometown
K, Chris Seitz, So., Maryland, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
D, Ty Harden, Sr., Washington, Junction City, Ore.
D, Aaron Hohlbein, Sr., Wisconsin, Middleton, Wis.
D, Joe Verdi, Sr., Lehigh, Ivyland, Pa.
M, John DiRaimondo, Sr., Saint Louis, St. Louis, Mo.
M, Bruno Guarda, So., SMU, Piracicaba, Brrazil
M, Scott Jones **, Sr., UNC-Greensboro, Dallas, Texas
M, Josh Tudela, Sr., Indiana, Evansville, Ind.
M, Mike Videira, Jr., Duke, Milford, Mass.
F, Brad Evans, Sr., UC Irvine, Phoenix, Ariz.
F, Sebastian Haensel, Sr., Towson, Leipzig, Germany
F, Steven Holloway, Sr., Monmouth, Hamilton, New Zealand
F, Joshua Okoampa, Sr., Wisconsin-Green Bay, Brooklyn Park, Minn.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 09:33:45 PM »
Fabien Lewis, Osei Telesford and Darryl Roberts were all named to the 2006 NSCAA All-South Atlantic Teams announced by the region's coaches on wednesday.

Edson Elcock was also named to the First Team.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:42:20 AM »
Good job from those guys.  People don't know how difficult it is to become an All American.

Politics plays a huge part, plus, teams you you and they come at you.  Job well done fellas.

Tallman, it would be interesting to see how many All Americans we have had in the past 10-15 years.

Arimian to meh heart

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 09:25:30 AM »
Arimaman,
All american overrated u know that  ;) is all politics
Only decent all american i ever saw was 1 from howard back in the 80's. nice last stopper  :beermug:

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:04:08 AM »
Come on guys it seem to me it have some people don't like to give credit where credit is due,weather these guys are overated or underated it does not matter,anybody ever rate them in T&T? if they are getting some ratings from quote on quote strangers,i think we should take some notice also,the attention and value these kids get at these schools is invalueable compared to what they get at home,does anybody know Edson Elcock?i'm telling you all take notice.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 10:32:40 AM »
Come on guys it seem to me it have some people don't like to give credit where credit is due,weather these guys are overated or underated it does not matter,anybody ever rate them in T&T? if they are getting some ratings from quote on quote strangers,i think we should take some notice also,the attention and value these kids get at these schools is invalueable compared to what they get at home,does anybody know Edson Elcock?i'm telling you all take notice.

Coops i just on kix w arimaman, a joke between us i know All american is a big thing

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 10:40:19 AM »
Coops, Football King just messing with me.  He talking 'bout his brother Ronnie.  He of all people know having played in college what the competition is like.  

I have never really seen these guys play but I guarantee you they have potential.  

I played in the CAA against Old Dominion and they were very good in the early to mid 90s.  The CAA is probably the second or third toughest conference in the country after the ACC.  

We have had a lot of trinis on these All American teams over the years and I'm sure we will have a lot more down the road.  It's sad that we cannot field a better U20 team though.  

Nonetheless, I agree, give credit where credit is due.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 10:51:44 AM »
I'm alright guys,did not mean to point fingers at any one,just find that don't matter what we do it always have somebody who finds something negative to say or discredit the whole thing. 

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 10:54:01 AM »
No horros Coops but ah ketch yuh
Big up to these guys it ereal hard to make all american and even harder as a foreigner.
Hope we could somehow give these guys a look for our natl team in the future and not lose contact with them as we did many times in the past with our ncaa players.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 04:41:57 PM »

Yes, I know Edson. Why coop's?

Kingman

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 04:52:43 PM »
Tallman, it would be interesting to see how many All Americans we have had in the past 10-15 years.
Since 1981 we have picked up at least 60 All-American honours. Players that have won them include:
Maurice Alibey (3)
Joel Bailey (2)
Sheldon Bennett (3)
Shawn Boney
Leon Brown
Richard Chinapoo
Abiola Clarence
Andre Cooper
Anton Corneal
Stephan David
Craig Demmin (3)
Dwayne Demmin (2)
Edson Elcock
Richard Goddard (3)
Brian Haynes (3)
Julius James (2)
Sheldon Jardine
Kevin Jeffrey
Darin Lewis
Peter Lewis (2)
Randi Patterson (2)
Garth Pollonais (2)
Brent Rahim (2)
Addae Rique
Colin Rocke (2)
Dexter Sandy
Scott Sealy
Anthony Sherwood
Jeremy Shortt
Dexter Skeene
Veron Skinner (4)
Crispin St. Louis (RIP  :()
Ryan Stewart
Sheldon Thomas
Darren Toby
Kirk Trotman (2)
Mickey Trotman (RIP  :()
Dimelon Westfield

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »
Since 1981 we have picked up at least 60 All-American honours.

Make that 61 tallman

Steve Sealy

Kingman
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 05:07:20 PM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »

Make that 61 tallman

Steve Sealy
As far as I know he was not an All-American, however, he was named to the 2003 NCAA Division I Men All-New England Region Second Team.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 05:17:19 PM »
Tallman, to think they have some who got it prior to 1981 - guys like Keith Virgil etc. Ah know most guys didn't know that Veron had de most. It's sad that Richard G isn't part of the national fixture.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 08:17:58 AM »
Missing from my original list is Brent Bennett (2)

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 08:27:28 AM »
Tallman, thanks for giving the man his respect.... :)
Arimian to meh heart

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 08:28:39 AM »
Nice list Tallman , very informative.
But I have a question.
Some background first.
Only been to the Us on holidays (on my own) have no relatives or close friends there so no real connection . Don't know about the standard of football in these leagues, how renowned they are , if Euro scouts take oplayers from them, basically if it is a good addittion to a football CV.

So my question (which is somewhat like Coop's) is making these list really an achievement and does it mean that these guys would be a shoo-in to the national team ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 08:37:41 AM »
Tallman tell me something
Is there a list of all the Trinbagonians playing in the NCAA divisions?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 08:47:54 AM »
Tallman tell me something
Is there a list of all the Trinbagonians playing in the NCAA divisions?

We maintain a list of T & T Players Representing U.S. Colleges, but it is not broken down by division or whether it is NCAA, NAIA or NJCAA.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 08:48:47 AM »
Nice list Tallman , very informative.
But I have a question.
Some background first.
Only been to the Us on holidays (on my own) have no relatives or close friends there so no real connection . Don't know about the standard of football in these leagues, how renowned they are , if Euro scouts take oplayers from them, basically if it is a good addittion to a football CV.

So my question (which is somewhat like Coop's) is making these list really an achievement and does it mean that these guys would be a shoo-in to the national team ?

That is a very good question.  I think college is the US has it's pros and cons.  Firstly, most guys come over to the US for the opportunity to earn an education.  Speaking from experience, when I came over in 91, I never thought prior to '88 that I would have the opportunity to get a University degree.  

The US has a the NCAA divisions 1, 2 and 3 and the NAIA.  NCAA division one is age banded, therefore, you could not play if you are over 24 except if you were in the military, plus they have strict academic guidelines that one must meet.  

NAIA is much looser academically and you have very very good quality players.  But I think top to bottom the opposition is weaker that NCAA division 1.  The top 5 teams in NAIA may be very good but after that there may be a drop off.

Is it an achievement.  Absolutely.  You have 200+  schools playing division 1 soccer each with 25 plus players and to make a list of the top 11, is a major accomplishment.  Whether or not the competition is up to par with the minor leagues in Europe is up for debate though.  

Hope this helps.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 10:43:27 AM »

Yes, I know Edson. Why coop's?

Kingman
        The reason i singled out Edson is because he is not known in Football circles at home,he never played at any level club/College etc etc he left home as a kid,the talent he had at that age i knew he had a future if encouraged,again i want to say to T&T take notice of that boy,big up to StJoseph Rd. 

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 11:02:32 AM »
Tallman, to think they have some who got it prior to 1981 - guys like Keith Virgil etc.
What school he went to?

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 11:57:37 AM »
Tallman yuh for get meh on that list Shawn Garcia(1)
also stern john(1) and evans wise(2) they played at mccc before me.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:22:04 PM by Tallman »
All American

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 12:02:36 PM »
Ok fellas, we go have to break this down by division....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 12:15:34 PM »
Tallman yuh for get meh on that list Shawn Garcia(1)
also stern john(1) and evans wise(2) they played at mccc before me.
I have not yet found a comprehensive list of NJCAA All-American honors, dat is is why my list only has two (Sheldon Jardine and Abiola Clarence) entries, and they were recent recipients. I would need to know the year, name, school, division and team (first, second or third).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:22:39 PM by Tallman »

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »
No disrespect but we counting JUCO all american's too?
Arimian to meh heart

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 02:15:04 PM »
No disrespect but we counting JUCO all american's too?
A lot of D 1 players come from JUCO. Coaches from D1 universities place players in JUCOs to get their academics up, then bring them into the D1 program. So an All-American in a JUCO program is no small feat.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:21:31 PM by Tallman »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 02:24:52 PM »
Tallman, to think they have some who got it prior to 1981 - guys like Keith Virgil etc.
What school he went to?

Can't remember, don't bellieve it was division 1 though. Keith came to the States in the late 70's, with GC, and made his college team as a walk-on, no scholarship. At the time he was the star at Bishops (Tobago), His nickname says it all "Ball Whore".

1]; } ?>