April 29, 2024, 06:18:18 AM

Author Topic: I would pay to watch Russell Latapy.  (Read 8960 times)

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I would pay to watch Russell Latapy.
« on: December 05, 2006, 09:29:23 AM »
I would pay to watch Russell Latapy.
Darryl Broadfoot (The Herald).

Russell Latapy struggled to get near the Rangers first-team squad towards the end of his stormy relationship with Alex McLeish. After witnessing the 38-year-old's midfield master class at the weekend, Alex Totten believes the Trinidadian would be a certain starter for Paul Le Guen's side.
Latapy sauntered off with the man-of-the-match champagne after helping Falkirk to their first win against Rangers since Richard Cadette ran riot in the Coca-Cola Cup third-round tie in 1994. He left a clutch of supposed superiors trailing in his wake and collected his bubbly from Stuart Lovell – a former Hibernian team-mate who, while two years younger, has retired – without even a trickle of sweat.
That the victory was achieved minus the country's leading goalscorer, Anthony Stokes, not only underlined Latapy's influence but restored heavy pressure on Le Guen and his malfunctioning side.
Totten, celebrating a 15-year association with Falkirk, admitted that Latapy offers far more value for money than the highly-paid pretenders at his former club.
"He was different class. He is a genius," purred Totten, now relishing the role of him upstairs at the Falkirk Stadium. "I would pay money to watch Russell Latapy. Who would you pay to watch in the Rangers team? I remember managing Falkirk when we played against Hibernian with Alex McLeish in charge. We were 1-0 up and Russell was on the bench. I remember saying to Alex 'keep him there'. Sure enough, he came on, bang, bang, we lose two goals and he scores them both. He is such a special talent.
"All credit has to go to John for bringing him here. They are friends from their Hibs days and the coaching role helps Russell because that's what he wants to get into when he finishes. He is just a great professional and he has left Newton Mearns to live in Falkirk now, too. After the game, he stood for ages signing autographs and standing for photos, he's just so popular and realises the responsibilities."
Totten spent three years at Ibrox as assistant to Jock Wallace during his second term of office. The former Kilmarnock and St Johnstone manager even had a period in temporary charge at Ibrox to bridge the gap between Wallace's departure and Lawrence Marlbrough's audacious appointment of Graeme Souness as player-manager from Sampdoria.
There have been course similarities drawn between Le Guen's struggling side and the modest collection inherited by Souness before the arrival of the English Connection. Totten was quick to clear up the misconception. "When I was at Rangers, there was Davie Cooper, Ally McCoist and Ian Durrant. Even more recently, the fans have been entertained by Brian Laudrup and Paul Gascoigne. It must be a severe disappointment to the fans because they are such a big club and to be 16 points behind Celtic will hurt.
"What I would say about the Rangers team I was involved in is that Jock made sure he instilled character in his players, because that's the type of manager he was. Rangers are struggling at the moment. [Viewing the situation] From the outside, there could be a culture-shock element but I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and, anyway, it's up to Rangers to worry about that."
Totten is more concerned with the fortunes of Falkirk. This is the man who feared his club could go the way of Third Lanark after becoming the forerunners of the modern financial meltdown when they slipped into provisional liquidation in 1998 before being rescued.
Now, with a new stadium, one of the country's most enlightened managers and a well-schooled squad, life could not be better for the commercial manager.
While Stokes, signed on loan from Arsenal, has monopolised the plaudits since his arrival, Totten believes the secret to Falkirk's revival under Hughes is his quiet efficiency and insistence on attractive football. "He was a rugged type as a player but loves his team to play football properly," said Totten. "I actually tried to sign him when I was at Kilmarnock. I met Tommy Burns in Newton Mearns to discuss it but he told me Hibernian had also come in and he was a big Hibee.
"The football he has us playing is an absolute joy to watch and I haven't missed a game. It is a reward to the fans for their loyalty, especially when they helped save the club in 1998. Changed days."
The greatest challenge may be in fending off the vultures during the January transfer window. The club are hopeful of retaining Stokes' services and determined to keep Alan Gow, Patrick Cregg and Liam Craig despite inevitable interest. While Hibernian are bracing themselves for the departures of Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson and possibly also Steven Whittaker, Totten is grateful Falkirk do not have such a profile.
"Hibernian are a big-city team and maybe get more attention but we certainly don't want to lose anyone. I spoke to Liam Brady [Arsenal's head of youth development] when he was up for our game against Celtic and he was happy Anthony was playing regularly at a high level and getting a chance to show what he can do. He seemed quite happy with the arrangement and I hope everyone else is."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:05:08 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I would pay to watch Russell Latapy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 09:47:03 AM »
This mite sound funny but is it possible to convince  Latapy and Yorke to end there playing days in our local pro league the PFL that would be a major coupe maybe the crowns would come out but they most likely would never entertain that tough we really need these two heroes to be involve in football back home   
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:20:13 AM »
This mite sound funny but is it possible to convince  Latapy and Yorke to end there playing days in our local pro league the PFL that would be a major coupe maybe the crowns would come out but they most likely would never entertain that tough we really need these two heroes to be involve in football back home   

Its a nice idea but I dont see it happening.  When them fellas done they not coming Trini to train and play matches.  But it would indeed be a boost to the league.  It would be nice for some of the overseas pros that started there to come back and do a guest appearance like that Japanese guy did with Sydney FC when Yorke was there, come in play a few games.
It would raise the level of the league, and bring out the crowds, could be a way of giving back.  And if the fellas come for a lil 4 - 6 game stint coach could give them a bligh if they miss practice and spend some time in Zen  :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »

What happens when they done play in Pro League?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:58:43 AM »
it wud be nice fuh pfl wid de experience n talent dat dey wud add, it might even encourage de younger players dem tuh step up n try take de spotlight(on de field) from ah yorke n latapy which cud only be ah gud and progessive ting even if it jes helps ah handfull
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 11:32:50 AM »
Reading these articles singing Latas' praises does be real bittersweet. The World Cup issue still bothering meh.

Hail de Magician. Check de danger

L A T A P Y
     1 0

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 12:49:08 PM »
Its amazing how others can see the light when our own supporters were defending the decision to leave out our most influential player during the WC. This is months after he was supposed to be too old to soca !
Oye yo yoew de making joke !!!

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 01:23:17 PM »
Reading these articles singing Latas' praises does be real bittersweet. The World Cup issue still bothering meh.

Hail de Magician. Check de danger

L A T A P Y
     1 0

Doh start dat nah, yuh go make ah big man cry  :'(
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 01:30:28 PM »
 :beermug: words cyah even describe how I feel bout de Magician...I am just happy I got to see him for 24 minutes at the WC...bless!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 04:06:57 PM »
:beermug: words cyah even describe how I feel bout de Magician...I am just happy I got to see him for 24 minutes at the WC...bless!

Big Up!

Eh DeSoWa, dis is de US,people does make money easy when dey sue somebody. Yuh see how Andre Samuel have "Ah love it", and dat is he line, well be careful ah sue yuh, fuh using meh "Bless" in yuh post  ;D. Bless.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:09:56 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »
Latas, yuh big an' broad......still.  :beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 05:08:07 PM »

Big Up!

Eh DeSoWa, dis is de US,people does make money easy when dey sue somebody. Yuh see how Andre Samuel have "Ah love it", and dat is he line, well be careful ah sue yuh, fuh using meh "Bless" in yuh post  ;D. Bless.

ah hear yuh bredda..but it's much easier to copyright ah phrase, than it is to copyright ah one word.. ;D but nex time ah use it ah would site yuh!
Bless @ SUPA  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 05:20:06 PM »

What happens when they done play in Pro League?
Tell the MLS that they don't care when the players done playing they get new ones mybe Stern CARLOS AND SO ON
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
Ah real jealous ......while ah happy for latas...ah feel like we being cheated out of every part of his playing career...not even in the last stages are we getting an oppurtuntiy to see him play.....i wouldn't be  surprised if we miss out on his coacing abilities also...

on a separate note....why can't the new  broadcst with all the sports, news and games do instead of showing all the EPL games show some SPL games where more of our players have usually gone internationaly
Warrior For Life !!

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 05:49:17 PM »

Big Up!

ah hear yuh bredda..but it's much easier to copyright ah phrase, than it is to copyright ah one word.. ;D but nex time ah use it ah would site yuh!
Bless @ SUPA  ;D

Big Up!

Ah like dat, Bless@ SUPA, doh forget tuh put .com.  ;D. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »
I will pay through my nose to see Latas pay. i thankful for small mercies the 24 minutes.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:16:49 PM by truetrini »

1]; } ?>