April 26, 2024, 01:22:40 AM

Author Topic: Wenger has lost some credibility with me after today's match  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wenger has lost some credibility with me after today's match
« on: December 06, 2006, 04:33:25 PM »
With all the talk that Wenger gives about teams that play "negative and defensive" football by putting 11 men behind the ball and defending for 90 minutes, he had Arsenal do the very same thing at Porto.

I am a big Arsenal fan, but still find it crazy that Wenger could chide teams for playing Arsenal like that, then go and do the very same thing against Porto.

I know that a draw was all we needed, but how can you fight down teams that play that way when your team would do the same thing on another day?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wenger has lost some credibility with me after today's match
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 04:50:25 PM »
Wenger is not my favorite...but just becasue a team plays defensively does not mean they set out that way. I mean, did he play a different formation than he ususally plays. Maybe POrto just played them off the park and they ahd no choice but to hang on. Just a thought. I did not see the game, but sometimes it is hard to differentiate negative tactics from simply being dominated.

Look at benfica..they had to win today against ManU. yt they were under the gun for most of that game..even though they had to attack. If you heard that they just needed a draw..you would assume that they were being negative. They just couldn't handle the pressure

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 05:17:28 PM »
With all the talk that Wenger gives about teams that play "negative and defensive" football by putting 11 men behind the ball and defending for 90 minutes, he had Arsenal do the very same thing at Porto.

I am a big Arsenal fan, but still find it crazy that Wenger could chide teams for playing Arsenal like that, then go and do the very same thing against Porto.

I know that a draw was all we needed, but how can you fight down teams that play that way when your team would do the same thing on another day?
Sack Him I kid lol

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 05:19:14 PM »
Massive Overreaction :devil: :devil:
TnT Patriot

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
Whos Overreacted?

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TnT Patriot

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 05:44:01 PM »
Catch 22. When Wenger throw people forward in the earlies and he did not do well in CL. Man say he have to learn to defend and play for the result. Now he playing a more measured game, man hittting him from another angle. I don't blame him. With all the injuries and suspension get into the round of 16 and then go from dey

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 05:56:39 PM »
Whos Overreacted?

Briton,ah thought ah was de only mad man here, dat use tuh be ready tuh take it tuh dem, when dey try tuh test, but it look like yuh was ready feh dem wid dat response  :devil:. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 06:46:41 PM »
I cyah vex wit de man for doing what he hadda do to make it into the round of 16, if that is what he did, I haven't watched the game yet, but the bits and pieces I did see rendered it boring for me.  But I really don't get a sense that he and his team were as guilty of it as Porto were once CSKA was announced to have been behind the 8-ball.  However, Jahyouth, that hypocrisy you talk about is something that I have been often chided for pointing out not only in wenger, but in other managers and players as well.  It seems like, in today's world, morals and fair play are rapidly going out of style and players and managers don't have to account for themselves with truth and credibility in their words (check out alex ferguson's comments after the middlesborough game about the controversial penalty that ronaldo won for his team)   But you are absolutely right in pointing out that, had the shoe really been on the other foot, wenger would have had alot to say about the other team's tactics of putting too many defenders behind the ball.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:21:36 PM »
dont like to see arsenal play that way. they were lucky not to have conceded a goal. playing with one man up front only works when the mid is giving alot of forward support.

but at least they got the result they needed.

next up, chelski.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 09:40:35 PM »
at least Sunday he cyah say dey was tired

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »

So what if he try to make other teams open up their play to make it easier for his team to win. 
Be it gamesmanship or otherwise...dis ain't church. :devil:

In any case it doesn't mean he can't ever adopt the tactic.  If it work for other teams against Arsenal u think they taking on what he say.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 11:01:50 AM »
on to Chelsea now

1]; } ?>