April 28, 2024, 06:15:10 AM

Author Topic: F1 Breaks Colour Barrier!  (Read 2420 times)

TrinInfinite

F1 Breaks Colour Barrier!
« on: November 25, 2006, 01:38:58 PM »
Very good news, we have some good drivers from the caribbean also, I wonder which island Hamilton's father hails from ???

F1 breaks colour barrier
Hamilton hired by McLaren as tour's first black driver

`I know that there will be a lot of attention on me'
Nov. 25, 2006. 01:00 AM

LONDON—Lewis Hamilton will race for McLaren next season, becoming the first black driver in Formula One.

The team announced yesterday that it had selected the British driver, 21, to race alongside two-time defending F1 champion Fernando Alonso in 2007.

Hamilton won this year's GP2 championship, a feeder circuit for F1. In 2005, he dominated the F3 series, winning 15 of 20 races.

"It's a dream come true," Hamilton said. "To be racing in Formula 1 with McLaren has been the ultimate goal for me since I was very young and this opportunity is a fantastic way to end what has been the best year for me."

Hamilton joined McLaren's young driver program in 1998, starting in kart racing and working his way up through the ranks. He tested McLaren's F1 car for the first time at the Silverstone circuit in England on Sept. 13, and will begin testing for the 2007 season next week in Barcelona, Spain.

"I'm aware that this will be a challenge and I know that there will be a lot of attention on me," Hamilton said. "However, the team has told me just to relax, do the best I can and enjoy the opportunity. I will work hard to get good results."

Hamilton is of Anglo-Caribbean origin. His father's parents come from the West Indies.

"Since 1998, Lewis has formed an important part of our long-term strategy and we are pleased that we are able to help him take another step and achieve his dream of becoming a Formula 1 racing driver," McLaren chairman Ron Dennis said.

British bookmakers William Hill rate Hamilton at 25-1 to win the championship. Finland's Kimi Raikkonen, who switched from McLaren to Ferrari for the new season, is the 5-4 favourite.

"I haven't really thought about targets, although every driver's ultimate target when they reach F1 is to win the championship," Hamilton said.

Alonso, who won his second straight F1 title this season with Renault, moved to McLaren for 2007.

"I look at having Fernando Alonso as my teammate as a positive," Hamilton said. "I can only learn from him. He will do what he always does, which is drive really well, and I will do the best job I can and eventually compete with him."

Pedro de la Rosa and Gary Paffett will stay with McLaren as test drivers.

De la Rosa, who drove for McLaren in the last eight races of the 2006 season, accepted his demotion to test driver.

"The fact that Lewis will be in the car comes as no surprise," he said. "Obviously I would have preferred to race myself, but I also understand why the team has decided to put Lewis in the car. I wish him all the best and look forward to continue working with him."

"Pedro has done an outstanding job for us this season, but we felt it was the right time to provide Lewis with this opportunity," Dennis said.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: F1 Breaks Colour Barrier!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 01:53:15 PM »
Very good news, we have some good drivers from the caribbean also, I wonder which island Hamilton's father hails from ???
His father is not from the Caribbean, it is his grandparents on his father's side. They are from Grenada.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:23:59 PM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
His father is not from the Caribbean, it is his grandparents on his father's side. They are from Grenada.

Seems like dat in some dispute. 

Hamilton's father, the son of immigrants from Trinidad & Tobago,

TRINI ROOTS?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 04:03:53 PM »

Seems like dat in some dispute. 

Hamilton's father, the son of immigrants from Trinidad & Tobago,

TRINI ROOTS?

Yeh, he go have tuh clear dat up.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 08:02:50 AM »
Well, I willin to split the difference and say he grampa must be born in grenada but grow up in trini

Either way... nice that he get a shot,,it have plenty plenty plenty plenty plenty x 10 men who have real talent but never get a shot at F1

That is rare air de boy breathing
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 08:20:04 AM »
Well, I willin to split the difference and say he grampa must be born in grenada but grow up in trini
Either way... nice that he get a shot,,it have plenty plenty plenty plenty plenty x 10 men who have real talent but never get a shot at F1
That is rare air de boy breathing
now if only he can make de kinda bread dat Schumaker used to make :o :o
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 08:45:39 AM »
Boy to do dat he have to drive for ah team dat does cheat...using illegal venturis under de car all kinda tricks while ecclestone and dem look de odder way :whistling:

How dem temperatures treatin allyuh over dey  :devil:

hot like hell in ontario for november
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:54:56 AM »
man it colder dan a witches tit out here, is ONLY  :o :o -12C http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-75_metric_e.html
one of allya put goat mout on we or what  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 09:19:54 AM by RedHowler »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 08:57:22 AM »
man it colder dan a witches tit out here, is ONLY  :o :o -11C http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-75_metric_e.html

Is grandeman...just las week uh tell him how de place nice and doh get cold

well,, yuh know grande full ah obeah man,,so.......... :devil:

Allyuh keep dat weather oui...last night I was out in short pants

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 09:19:19 AM »
see, dat ent right  :D :D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 11:20:58 AM »
man it colder dan a witches tit out here, is ONLY  :o :o -11C http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-75_metric_e.html

boy it's 16 degrees tomorrow  :o.........sweating fuh sure!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 09:44:10 AM »
ah love it ...

de thread metamorphosed from F1 to degrees F (well degrees C  - close enuf)  :rotfl:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Lewis Hamilton to race for McLaren; becomes first black driver in F1
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 12:41:10 PM »
I've been told this guys is a Trini.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/061124/sports/auto_f1_hamilton_1

Fri Nov 24, 12:20 PM

By Brian Church

ADVERTISEMENT

LONDON (AP) - Lewis Hamilton will race for McLaren next season, becoming the first black driver in Formula One.

The team announced Friday that it had selected the British driver, 21, to race alongside two-time defending F1 champion Fernando Alonso in 2007. Pedro de la Rosa and Gary Paffett will stay with McLaren as test drivers.

Hamilton won this year's GP2 championship, a feeder circuit for F1. In 2005, he dominated the F3 series, winning 15 of 20 races.

"It's a dream come true," Hamilton said. "To be racing in Formula 1 with McLaren has been the ultimate goal for me since I was very young and this opportunity is a fantastic way to end what has been the best year for me."

Hamilton joined McLaren's young driver program in 1998, starting in kart racing and working his way up through the ranks.

He tested McLaren's F1 car for the first time at the Silverstone circuit in England on Sept. 13, and will begin testing for the 2007 season next week in Barcelona, Spain.

"I'm aware that this will be a challenge and I know that there will be a lot of attention on me," Hamilton said. "However, the team has told me just to relax, do the best I can and enjoy the opportunity. I will work hard to get good results."

Hamilton is of Anglo-Caribbean origin. His father's parents come from the West Indies.

"Since 1998 Lewis has formed an important part of our long-term strategy and we are pleased that we are able to help him take another step and achieve his dream of becoming a Formula 1 racing driver," McLaren chairman Ron Dennis said. "Pedro has done an outstanding job for us this season, but we felt it was the right time to provide Lewis with this opportunity."

British bookmakers William Hill rate Hamilton at 25-1 to win the championship. Finland's Kimi Raikkonen, who switched from McLaren to Ferrari for the new season, is the 5-4 favourite.

"I haven't really thought about targets, although every driver's ultimate target when they reach F1 is to win the championship," Hamilton said.

Alonso, who won his second straight F1 title this season with Renault, moved to McLaren for 2007.

"I look at having Fernando Alonso as my teammate as a positive," Hamilton said. "I can only learn from him. He will do what he always does, which is drive really well, and I will do the best job I can and eventually compete with him."

De la Rosa, who drove for McLaren in the last eight races of the 2006 season, accepted his demotion to test driver.

"The fact that Lewis will be in the car comes as no surprise," he said. "Obviously I would have preferred to race myself, but also understand why the team has decided to put Lewis in the car. I wish him all the best and look forward to continue working with him."

1]; } ?>