April 28, 2024, 04:45:04 PM

Author Topic: U-20 head coach not too despaired  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
U-20 head coach not too despaired
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:17:38 PM »
U-20 head coach not too despaired
By Shaun Fuentes

National Team Under 20 head coach Brian Williams complimented his players for their last ditch efforts in trying to keep the chances of qualification for the 2007 World Youth Cup alive but didn’t hide from the fact that it was way too late.

Williams who coached the team for eight matches in which he won three, lost three and drew two, told his players at the end of Thursday’s 1-0 win over Jamaica to take stock of themselves and maintain a dedication to becoming better students of the game as the Under 20 campaign came to a close.

For several of the faces in the dressing room at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, the next hope is to secure a recall for the Olympic qualifiers. The majority will continue to play for their respective clubs.

“Continue to become better students of the game. Take note of this campaign and take everything you can from it and go on. All of you have your personal lives and you must also make a personal commitment to become better players and persons. Football is not just about being good players on the field but it continues out there on the road as well,” Williams said.

In his comments to the media, the former national team defender added that he was disappointed with the team’s failure to progress to the CONCACAF Final round but added that it was important that the development of the players representing the country at the youth level continue and not just on a momentary basis.

“I was satisfied with the way in which the guys went out and gave the effort in this game. They stuck to the game plan and they gave it their all. It was disappointing though that it wasn’t enough and it came too late for us because at the end of it we are no longer in the race for the World Cup,” Williams said.

“The boys adjusted well to the change in system for this game but still I find we had some areas which could have been a bit sharper. What we need now is for a system to ensure that these players are not easily let go and at least those with the potential of going on to better things must be monitored or looked after in terms of development. They must do at the clubs and schools as well.”

Team captain Radanfah Abu Bakr, who will remain in the country until year end, admitted his spirits had been shattered by the team’s exit.

“Of course, we are all disappointed. It came down to one goal to stay alive in the match and it slipped away from us,” Abu Bakr said. “It shows that with a little more preparation we maybe could have avoided it . I hope that the we can have a little more time together for future competitions, he added.

Williams boldly added that if he were to face any of the three teams from the earlier group – St Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominican Republic or St Kitts/Nevis, his team would overcome them in confident fashion.

But for now, the T&T Under 20 players of 2006 must await their next call to the national set up, hopefully with eager anticipation of preparing well and taking on the outside challengers.

Next up, Senior Team head coach Wim Rijsbergen will begin a training camp on December 18 with a number of home-based players and invited players from North America ahead of the Digicel Caribbean Cup. This list will be released in due course.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 07:47:52 PM by Tallman »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-20 head coach not too despaired
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:22:59 PM »
But for now, the T&T Under 20 players of 2006 must await their next call to the national set up, hopefully with eager anticipation of preparing well and taking on the outside challengers.
Dis is what ah cyar stand. We does only assemble a team for tournaments, which is one of de reasons we doh reach nowhere. Once players are within the age requirements, we should have a player pool in training even if it's one or twice a month. We need continuity.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:28:28 PM »
buh Tallman, wouldnt that cut into the money that the Special Advisor could suck be makin from the TTFF?
why pay money to have these fellas in a permanent camp when the money could be used by the special advisor.

being  very serious now, I agree whole heartedly with that suggestion  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline spiritedfan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:32:50 PM »
i agree we can't look to put a side together last minute and jus because they have on a trindad shirt feel we will win everything in the caribbean every team takes time. but that refree was one of the worst i see in a while i think his name must be refree not his profession.

1]; } ?>