April 28, 2024, 02:30:58 PM

Author Topic: W-Connection made to toil on arrival in Puerto Rico  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
W-Connection made to toil on arrival in Puerto Rico
« on: December 09, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
W-Connection made to toil on arrival in Puerto Rico
By Joel Villafana (ttproleague.com)

TT Pro League giants Vibe CT 105 W Connection were made to toil on their arrival in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Thursday for the start of the Caribbean Club championships.

The W Connection team spent the entire day on Thursday at National training facility which was located almost two hours from the airport. The teams’ management refused to check into the facility because of poor conditions.

The 2006 Pro League runners up and two time Caribbean Club Champions left the Piarco International Airport for San Juan Peurto Rico at 6.35 a.m on Thursday and after arriving at just after 9 a.m the Savonetta Boys traveled for over an hour by bus to arrive at what was a Government-run training facility with less than acceptable accommodation.

Coach Stuart Charles Fevrier, Manager Raymond Mc lean and Captain Earl Jean all agreed they were not accepting these conditions and demanded answers as they were promised a five star hotel facility.
The technical staff and 25 players were made to remain outside the facility which contained rooms that were designed to accommodate a concentration camp, rather than a professional football team with cramped rooms containing six double decked beds.

The W Connection players were forced to lay outside the facility which, lies some 30 miles from the main city of San Juan and spent no less than 6 hours marooned.

The team was unable to conduct a scheduled training session on that afternoon and Coach Stuart Charles Fevrier was an extremely disappointed man.

“This is not what we planned, we are extremely disappointed in what has transpired here, I cannot allow my team to stay here for over a week in these conditions, we are professionals and this was not arrangement put in place.”

However, the St. Lucian born coach is looking ahead positively to the rest of the trip.

He told ttproleague.com despite the mishap, he is confident his players will remain focused on the job at hand.

“Fortunately for us we don’t play until Saturday afternoon, so it gives us a day to gather ourselves get back onto the training pitch and get ready for our first game, ny players are professionals and have remained focused and I know they are hungry to do well in this tournament.”

Eventually officials organized for the team to be placed at the El Portel Hotel in Bayamon, which was accepted by the teams’ management. The team had to travel another hour to get to the new facility and arrived just after 8 p.m.

The players quickly retired to bed to get some well deserved rest.

The First Citizens Cup Champions will be eager to get out on the training pitch on Friday before going into competitive action on Saturday.

W Connection are grouped with host team Puerto Rico Islanders, Fruta Conquers out of Guyana and Hoppers FC from Antigua.

Connection will first take on the Antiguan Champions Hoppers FC on Saturday at National stadium in Bayamon.

The local club giants will then meet Fruta Conquers out of Guyana on Tuesday, before wrapping up this phase of the competition against Puerto Rico Islanders on Thursday.

The top team in this group will move on to the final round to determine the Caribbean Club Champions.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: W-Connection made to toil on arrival in Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »
I'm in a way glad this happen,and in some ways I'm not,simply because it's been this way for years anytime we travel to play outside of T&T we get treated for the most part,very poorly,whether it's tactical or otherwise it happens,now the flip side to this, is teams traveling to T&T are given the red carpet,and that's what they've come to expect so with that said are we ever going to realise that when traveling expect the worse or prepare for the worse and nice guys always finish last,maybe we need look deep within and adjust our red carpet policy............. ???     

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 09:29:53 AM »
This type of treatment was expected. As PFL champs and thus the biggest treat to the group, the islanders would do something like this to throw off the guys mentally. I am happy they put their foot down and didn't accept that type of accomodation. That was obstacle # 1. The 2nd obstacle that the lads will face is the beautiful girls of Puerto Rico. They are all over, different shades and styles, they need to be switched on on and off the field or else they will stumble!

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 11:48:22 AM »
I can't believe that still happening in this day and time,that was something we just had to get used too in the past,i've always said the little things that we take for granted is what haunts us,it's all part of the game guys and is time we start being prepared(it's psychological warfare),it's happening to us all where we go and we and all we do is talk about it and that's that.These people know what they are doing it's deliberately done to upset us we have to grow up.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 12:29:33 PM »
I'm in a way glad this happen,and in some ways I'm not,simply because it's been this way for years anytime we travel to play outside of T&T we get treated for the most part,very poorly,whether it's tactical or otherwise it happens,now the flip side to this, is teams traveling to T&T are given the red carpet,and that's what they've come to expect so with that said are we ever going to realise that when traveling expect the worse or prepare for the worse and nice guys always finish last,maybe we need look deep within and adjust our red carpet policy............. ???     
I cyah agree with you man...If somebody else doh have courtesy...doh mean we shouldn't have...I cyah remember the man name now...but the guy who score the goal against us in 1990 was saying in an article how welcomed the USA team felt even after they win

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 12:34:54 PM »
I cyah agree with you man...If somebody else doh have courtesy...doh mean we shouldn't have...I cyah remember the man name now...but the guy who score the goal against us in 1990 was saying in an article how welcomed the USA team felt even after they win
BIG UP to the people of TnT.
acting like likkle chirren, like some other countries, ent what we should be concentrating on
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 12:44:09 PM »

Which part yuh doh agree with,tell meh,but remember we all as humans beings want to be treated with respect and common courtesy,unfortunately in the real world that is for some and not all,while I don't advocate spending time on pettyness,we must at some point give respect to those who respect us and those who don't,try dialouge and if that don't work,well I said it earlier adjustments should be considered,players should'nt have to pay the price for external forces getting involved in mischief,and clearly this is what things like what's going on in puerto-rico is.

And lets include maybe some racism,we should never forget that,because it ent no shortage of it running rampant all over the world..........        

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 01:01:04 PM »
They are right not to accept those conditions but as a "Professional" team they should have had an advance man to ensure that things were right ahead of time. This wasn't scheduled yesterday.
TnT Patriot

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 01:03:50 PM »
They are right not to accept those conditions but as a "Professional" team they should have had an advance man to ensure that things were right ahead of time. This wasn't scheduled yesterday.
serious post  :applause: :applause: :applause:

buh paying for dat will cut into the money dat the special advisor could suck make from the TTFF :devil: :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 01:05:05 PM »
W Connection go deliver the cut ass more so than ever i feel.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 03:23:15 PM »
I reading under 20 squad IN TRINIDAD staying in royal crowne.  sorry fellaz, but I don't thinik that was necessary - cuz tat same funds coulda used later on to pay to get the players together more regularly...or go on tours (just bad money management to me).  TReams not always complaining bout no money?
and I know people ask this b4, but how the PFL surviving?  I mean it sound like 100 people coming out to watch a pfl game...so thaz a lil over $1000 revenue to pay for grounds, referees, split for 2 teams of professional players.  my only guess is that each team have a sponsor who will pick up all their players  and coaches' salaries...maybe the ttff could pick up referees.  gate receipts pick up the grounds.
how teams going to support 5 star hotels and flights to foreign?  I dunno, my only guess is that sponsors comin up real big this rounds.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 04:15:54 PM »
W Connection go deliver the cut ass more so than ever i feel.

Dem kinda treatment is de perfect recipe for dat!! W Connection just need to polish dey boots wit bad-mind, and play dah ball wit a vengeance.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 04:22:38 PM »
A weekend at Crown Plaza eh go buss no vote. The players were not together bcause the TTFF eh know nuthin about planning
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 04:34:15 PM »
Management at W Connection is  a bit naive and not as professional as they claim. It is really their fault they ended up with crap accomodations. They should have received information about their accomodations a while ago and been able to check the standard via the internet. They should know how far it is from their training grounds, from the stadium etc..They should then have sent one delegate one or two days before to check it out and make any last minute changes. They reached in Puerto Rico and had no clue where they were going. Not even the biggest dunce would not do that when they go on vacation.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 04:40:18 PM »

do to those as you have them do unto you...

God is de BOSS...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 05:43:23 PM »
On bigsoccer, they say that Fruta Conquerors from Guyana is a no-show due to economic problems and the schedule has been revised to:

Monday 11th
Hoppers (ANT) vs. W. Connection (TRI) 8:00 pm

Wenesday 13th
W. Connection (TRI) vs. Islanders (PUR) 8:00 pm

which mean that Connection doesn't play tonight.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »
On bigsoccer, they say that Fruta Conquerors from Guyana is a no-show due to economic problems and the schedule has been revised to:

Monday 11th

Wenesday 13th

Just de phonecall ALONE to notify de organizers and dem put Fruta over dey budget! 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 06:27:25 PM »

Monday 11th

Wenesday 13th

same flickin ting I sayin horse..how men clamourin for they 5 star and next set of men cyah even pay to reach.  Something not adding up in my small brain.

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 01:10:07 AM »
Puerto Rico Islanders won 3-1 against Hoppers FC

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 09:27:47 AM »
Connection get easier time at CFU Championship
Source: Trinidad Express

After receiving a rough welcome to Puerto Rico, things have got considerably easier for Vibe CT 105 W Connection after they learnt on Friday afternoon that Fruta Conquerors out of Guyana have pulled out of the the Caribbean Club Championship, due to financial reasons.

This now means W Connection will only have to get past the hosts Puerto Rico Islanders and the Antiguan Champions Hoppers FC, if they are to progress to the next round of tournament.

Connection are seasoned campaigners at this level, having won the Caribbean Club title back to back in 2001 and 2002, and were runners up in 2003.

When they arrived in Puerto Rico however, Connection who were forced to spend almost six hours marooned outside a training facility because the teams' management refused to accept the accommodation promised to them.

Because of the Fruta Conquerors pull-out however, they will now have a few extra days to prepare for their first match against Hoppers FC tomorrow.

That game is scheduled for the national stadium in Bayamon at 8 p.m. They will then meet hosts Puerto Rico Islanders on Wednesday.

Coach Stuart Charles Fervier was pleased on hearing the news. He told ttproleague.com, "This is good news for us, it gives us a little more time to prepare, however, at the same time we have to play two games in three days, so we have to maximise the next couple days and prepare ourselves both physically and mentally."

"We will also have an opportunity to watch our opponents who play on Saturday night. I assure you we will be ready when we take the field."

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 12:08:17 PM »
Threat?  PR does play football???
war..
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>