April 28, 2024, 12:43:22 AM

Author Topic: Jamaica, our Moon?....  (Read 2513 times)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica, our Moon?....
« on: July 11, 2005, 07:37:08 AM »
Jamaica seems to be running interference for Trinidad this rounds. Is like they taking all de boulder hits for we as we continue to rotate. For this I give them some thanks and my vote of confidence for their ability to take on big Teams and get a result.
Jamaica's lack of intimidation for bigger Teams and Bigger Games is note-worthy. Though it was the mighty Panama that dealt a blow to the JA'ans I believe under their present Coach they may have had better results.
All I'm saying in a nut-shell is big-up to Jamaica for handling them hard Teams with Style and Grace. Good win against dem GUATS and nice draw with South Africa. It would have been more uphill for de SocaWarriors I think if we had the likes of Mexico, Sth. Africa and Dem GUATS to deal with.   I may be wrong but I am appreciating all the "big brother" help JA seem to be unintentionally giving Trinidad and Tobago. Its like they handling the after school bully.

Ironic: We were once feared as the JA'ans are in the concacaf and also had skill to go along with our hard tackling ability.
Trini use to BRUISE yuh, kinda Germany-like....

Oh well as we embrace our New Identity....

Germany! Here we Come!!!!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica, our Moon?....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 07:42:48 AM »
Jamaica seems to be running interference for Trinidad this rounds. Is like they taking all de boulder hits for we as we continue to rotate. For this I give them some thanks and my vote of confidence for their ability to take on big Teams and get a result.
Jamaica's lack of intimidation for bigger Teams and Bigger Games is note-worthy. Though it was the mighty Panama that dealt a blow to the JA'ans I believe under their present Coach they may have had better results.
All I'm saying in a nut-shell is big-up to Jamaica for handling them hard Teams with Style and Grace. Good win against dem GUATS and nice draw with South Africa. It would have been more uphill for de SocaWarriors I think if we had the likes of Mexico, Sth. Africa and Dem GUATS to deal with.   I may be wrong but I am appreciating all the "big brother" help JA seem to be unintentionally giving Trinidad and Tobago. Its like they handling the after school bully.

Ironic: We were once feared as the JA'ans are in the concacaf and also had skill to go along with our hard tackling ability.
Trini use to BRUISE yuh, kinda Germany-like....

Oh well as we embrace our New Identity....

Germany! Here we Come!!!!

Maybe its our way of thinking, but I really dont see Gutemala as being a "big team". This is a team that has failed to beat us at any level in recent times. South Africa and Jamaica in my mind are teams that are on par in terms of natural talent...Last time we play them I believe we got a tie in South africa. To me, the only "big team" in this group is Mexico, and by teh way Ja is playing, I beleive we will score against them....Only problem is, will we score enough to win or tie?

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 07:57:41 AM »
RF - In my opinion, Guatemals is not a big team as well.
Looking at history, we generally have beaten them many times more than they have beaten us. It is only the last debacle when we got hammered 5-1 in Guatemala that has us fuming.
But even in the last 2 gold cups, we have beaten them comfortably. Heck we even have beaten them in Guatemala in WCQ already.
South Africa - I agree, they are strong, last time we play them, we beat them 2-0 in POS, but then lost 2-1 in SA last year, so I would put them on ar about, maybe slightly higher than TT at the present time.
U are correct mexico are the real big team in the group, and also the tournament, but guess what, they have been playing a lot of football over the last 4 weeks, and may be somewhat tired...The more they play, maybe the more tired they get? I know they make some chamges for this tourney, resting some big name players, but I believe Ja can get a draw vs them on Wed.....
Ja real impressing me in this tourney...U will definitely qualify for the quarters (the competition is TT who have 2 pts and Canada or Cuba who still pointless and bad goal difference....
Strange to see Ja conceeding so many goals though, and even scoring so many as well...very -UN-JAMAICAN like, much more a trait like T&T if u ask me, its just we usually on the losing end of high scoring games....
The defence have to buck up....If it does, it could be a very strong Ja team.
I would love to see where and how TT stack up vs you guys now...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 07:59:22 AM by Trini »

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 08:12:09 AM »
agreed reggaefan
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:21:48 AM »
De last time Trini play Guatemela we get 5. Im sorry 5-0 and that was de real score and we had real players on the field. So we could talk about what is in de past bout how Trini use to handle dem and All about Fifa ranking, all I know that untill we right that wrong they have our ticket. Mexico beat us 2-0 but the Guats spent 5. and put up a fight with Jamaica who Trini have a hard time beating or drawing with for that fact.   Please lets call a spade a spade.   

This is not Fit Latapy and Fit Dwight Yorke  -  This is Young Theobald and Shitty Stern John

Order
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Our record against Guatemala
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 08:48:54 AM »
In my opinion, Guatemala is not a big team as well. Looking at history, we generally have beaten them many times more than they have beaten us.

Actually, we have a losing record against Guatemala.
Played: 16
Wins: 5
Losses: 8
Draws: 3
Goals Scored: 18
Goals Conceded: 30

It is only the last debacle when we got hammered 5-1 in Guatemala that has us fuming.
They also beat us 4-1 last August.

But even in the last 2 gold cups, we have beaten them comfortably.
We beat dem 4-2 in de 2000 Gold Cup, but dat was de only time we beat dem in de competition. Prior to that, dey beat us 1-0 in de 1991 Gold Cup.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 09:41:48 AM »
The thing with Gutemala and most central American teams is that they play a totally different game when they play on home turf. If you dont know how to counter them when they are playing at home, they will run all over you. I believe thats what happened when you lost 5-1. Panama is looking solid as well. Their style is very hard to predict, as they play a very robust almost robotic style of football. Isuspect they will be hard to beat at home when you face them in your next wcq game.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 10:49:03 AM »
Reggaefan dey beat we when beertille had we playing some terrible football . Now is a different situation , we playing much  better as a team now . Man not getting in de box so easy again is jus de goalie need a lil  help.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline aliegordon123

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 11:08:17 AM »
Jamaicas group is definately the most talented group in the gold cup.. mexico is top in the tourney and s.a and ja are probably top 5... if mexico gets put out of this turneyment then it will give a much bigger chance toi teams like trinidad

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 12:28:48 PM »
South Africa  holds Ja's Boyz

los angeles, california:

TEOFORE BENNETT knew he would have scored the equaliser for Jamaica from the moment Andy Williams' free kick was coming over.

"Once the ball was kicked I knew it was a goal because I was free at the back post," the 24-year-old striker told STAR Sports of his finish that tied Jamaica's CONCACAF Gold Cup match 3-3 against South Africa at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum yesterday.

"I'm feeling very, very good for bringing my team back into it," added an obviously elated. "My team was down and I came in and got the job done. I knew I had to work as hard as possible to score and it paid off."

Quarter-finals

Even with an outstanding game against Mexico, Jamaica qualified for the second round - the quarter-finals.

They lead Group C on four points by virtue of scoring more goals than South Africa, which had also won their opening game. Mexico are next on three points, while Guatemala are virtually eliminated after losing their second consecutive match.

The Reggae Boyz trailed on all occasions and had to wait until the final 10 minutes to secure the point they knew was good enough to launch them into the second round.

"Overall we're particularly pleased with the result," Jamaica's coach Wendell Downswell said. "We came with the intention first and foremost not to lose this game, the fact that we came away with one point was good and the fact that we came from behind on three occasions is a fitting testimony to the sort of character we've displayed ... and the fact that we can safely say we're through to the next round speaks volumes for itself."

The Jamaicans conceded thrice while beating Guatemala 4-3 in their first game and having done the same yesterday, the coach says it's a big concern.

"It's a major concern as it relates to our defence ... and it's something we've got to work on, especially when we go up against a team like Mexico."

Commenting further on the impending battle against giants Mexico on Wednesday in Houston, Texas, Downswell said: "We'll be extremely positive. ... We'd very much like to top the zone. Looking at the teams there's not much between them right now so we're going into the game very positive."

Eight of the tournament's 12 teams are moving onto the knockout stage, including the top two finishers in each group and the top two third place teams. The

United States and Canada have won both matches in Group B over Canada and Cuba so Jamaica should finish the preliminaries, at least, as one of the top two third place teams.

The game exploded in the last 10 minutes of the first half with the teams sharing two goals apiece.

Jermaine Hue (36th), Damion Stewart (56th) and Teofore Bennett (80th) scored for Jamaica, while Abram Raselemane (35th), Lungisani Ndela (41st) and Siyabongo Nomvete (56th) accounted for South Africa's goals.

Jamaica started the more dominant team with a high percentage of possession and far more attacking moves but they did not make that advantage show, much through the failure of Jermaine Johnson to finish several good chances.

South Africa, who led on both occasions, went ahead at the 35th minute when Lebohang Mokoena swung in a deep cross from the right. It deflected off Tyrone Marshall's head as he challenged for the clearance, and flew by a non-responsive Jermaine Taylor to Raselemane who firmly side-footed a volley inside the near post.

Level terms

Within 30 seconds, Jamaica were on level terms as they used the possession from the kick-off to score. Hue, who scored a big goal in Friday's 4-3 win over Guatemala, netted another magnificent goal when he skilfully body-shifted and turned with the ball to send defenders wide and open space to goal, before cracking a sweet left-footed drive beyond reach of outstretched goalie Calvin Marlin into the far post.

As the buzz created by the effort begun to die down from the crowd, South Africa recaptured the lead when basketball forward-height forward Ndela beat Marshall to Elrio Van Heerden's corner whipped out six yard and glanced a header between Tyrone Sawyers on the post and goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.

Like the first time, the Reggae Boyz' goal response was instant and deadly decisive, though simply executed.

"At the critical time of the game we switched off," South Africa's technical director Stuart Baxter said of those lapses after scoring.

On the second occasion Williams swung a corner to the back post and Stewart burst in and slammed a header just inside the post to put the match back on even keel at 2-2. South Africa started the second half badly by losing a player when Siboniso Gaxa took down Johnson for his second yellow card and was ejected after only four minutes.

Despite Johnson missing one of his many chances six minutes later, for much of the game after, Jamaica did not make that advantage count as they did not mark or track properly, which allowed South Africa to keep possession and move around the ball too easy.

As a matter of interest, immediately after Johnson crashed the opportunity off Hue's pass into the goalie's chest, South Africa led again when a ball played between the central defenders caught square once too often, was taken by Nomvete who outpaced the defenders before playing the ball over the advancing Ricketts into the net.

There was no quick response this time and South Africa did well to keep the ball and launch some promising attacks against a Jamaica team that did more chasing than tracking and marking.

When they had the ball, too few players committed themselves fully into attack and as the game lengthened, some amount of panic begun to creep into the Jamaicans' game. This was evidenced even more while they missed opportunities to score.

However, with time fading, Jamaica stepped up the tempo and the pace and additional belief shown by players driving at the South African defence paid dividends for the second time from a set play, when one of the subs introduced to get the important equaliser, Teofore Bennett, scored at the 80th minute.

Teofore's header

Williams, like he had done from the corner kick, put in a measured cross and Bennett pounced on the ball and hit it with a powerful header to tie-up a game among the countries for the third successive time in their last three meetings.

With the assurance that a draw was good enough to qualify for the quarter-finals, both teams were reserved in their attacking trends over the last 10 minutes and expressed relief at the finish.

Speaking about the Boyz, South Africa's technical director of football, Stuart Baxter, said: "The Jamaican team is probably everything a South African team doesn't want to face. The South Africa people roll the ball around and they play a technical game.

Suddenly we're confronted with very powerful, athletic players and they made us work very hard on our defending and defending the second ball and keeping our discipline.

"I was very pleased with how we responded but I think the Jamaican team is a very good team, they've got a nice blend of power and they've got a nice blend of technique and when the coach has worked with them a little bit more I think they'll be a very exciting team."

Teams

Jamaica: No. 30 Donovan Ricketts, 3 Damion Stewart, 4 Jermaine Taylor, 5 Tyrone Sawyers, 6 Robert Scarlett, 9 Andy Williams,10 Ricardo Fuller, 12 Jermaine Johnson, 14 Tyrone Marshall, 17 Jermaine Hue, 18 Khari Stephenson.

South Africa - No. 1 Calvin Marlin, 2 Lucky Lekgwathi, 3 Lucas Thwala, 4 Philip Evans, 5 Ricardo Katza, 6 Siboniso Gaxa, 8 Siyabonga Siphika, 11 Elrio Van Heerden, 14 Siyabonga Nomvete, 18 Abram Raselemane, 19 Lungisani Ndela.

Offline aliegordon123

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 01:28:25 PM »
I hope jamaica eliminate mexico tomorrow so that us trinis dont have as muhc trouble

1]; } ?>