April 27, 2024, 09:04:27 AM

Author Topic: Carnival on Piccadilly Greens..........  (Read 909 times)

TrinInfinite

Carnival on Piccadilly Greens..........
« on: December 02, 2006, 09:57:22 AM »
Uptown Carnival body suggests: Parade on the ‘Greens’

BY CORDIELLE STREET

Piccadilly Greens, East Port-of-Spain, is being offered as an alternative “big stage” for Carnival 2007 pending the Government’s decision to keep the Queen’s Park Savannah off limits to mas.

Chairman of the Uptown Carnival Improvement Committee Winston Brown said yesterday that Piccadilly Greens “behind the bridge” is a perfect choice for one of two mandatory judging points for the Parade of Bands.

South Quay, downtown PoS, and the Queen’s Park Savannah were formerly the two mandatory judging points for mas bands.

But with the pending construction of the $400 million Carnival Cultural Centre at the QPS and an expected announcement by the Government to bar Carnival events being staged there, an alternative compulsory judging point is now needed.

“We want to encourage more bands to come and in addition to that we offer very nice trophies and prizes and it is good to keep Carnival in touch with its roots,” said Best.

In a news release the organisation said the Greens was not only the birthplace of Trinidad Carnival but, “is also the only venue in Trinidad which sits in the middle of a highly populated residential area, creating a natural amphitheatre.”

Best added that while: “The National Carnival Commission from time to time declared an official route, they didn’t always highlight Piccadilly as a venue.”

He said crime was not a deterrent as no incident was ever reported in the area during the Parade of Bands.

However, the Greens has seen traffic lessen over the years as mas bands often circumvent the area.

The National Carnival Bands’ Association (NCBA) and the National Carnival Development Foundation (NCDF) have both submitted proposals concerning mas routes for next year.

The NCBA continues to be tight-lipped concerning their proposal to the Minister of Community Development, Culture and Gender Affairs Joan Yuille-Williams while NCDF has in its proposal included a suggestion for stands for spectators and judges to be built on the Princess Elizabeth grounds which can be used as a mandatory judging point.

Best is requesting an urgent meeting with the NCC, NCBA, NCDF and the Ministry.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited
Designed by: Randall Rajkumar-Maharaj · Updated daily by: Sheahan Farrell

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival on Piccadilly Greens..........
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:44:27 AM »
yeah right

island people aint goin they
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

TrinInfinite

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
yeah right

island people aint goin they

wait nah bredda u from morvant and u saying island people not going they ??? ::)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 01:59:29 AM »
i from morvant by i hoity toity now

i  too good to go on de greens ;D

nah but seriously them rich boys wouldnt wanna go past henry street
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

1]; } ?>