March 28, 2024, 04:02:16 PM

Author Topic: Chelsea's Billions To Be Banned  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chelsea's Billions To Be Banned
« on: December 17, 2006, 12:49:01 AM »
Hmmmmm

Chelsea's domination of the Premier League through Roman Abramovich’s billions will be brought to an end by Europe’s football authorities because they fear that it is ruining football.

UEFA have decided that Chelsea’s multimillion- pound recruitment policy, which allows the club to bring in stars such as Andriy Shevchenko, Michael Ballack and Didier Drogba every season because it is subsidised by Abramovich’s billions, amounts to unfair competition.

And UEFA chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson has told The Mail on Sunday that the greed of English clubs could destroy the game if new rules to limit wage bills are not introduced.

The rules would revolutionise the European game by ruling that Abramovich’s funding of Chelsea was like a state subsidising its nationalised industry, which is currently illegal in the European Union.

Olsson, who runs European football’s governing body, said: "I think Chelsea are a very special case. What we should do about it is a tricky question. Is it fair competition? Or should a football club accept getting these gifts or donations from individuals.

"When it comes to a case where an individual is prepared to lose money,I think it is a very special case. I agree it’s unfair to other clubs.

"To tackle it you have to agree within the football family and with the European Community to say that this is seen as unfair competition and that is why it’s against the rules."

That would mean an end to the unlimited transfer budget available to manager Jose Mourinho and to the spiralling wages that has seen Chelsea able to buy up any player they want, such as Shaun Wright- Phillips, even if they are apparently surplus to requirements.

It could also hinder the new investors in the Premiership, such as Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s company Dubai International Capital, who are attempting to take over Liverpool, and Newcastle United’s suitors Polygon, from copying Abramovich’s profligate ways.

Olsson and UEFA are backing proposals made recently by the Independent European Sports Review (IESR) to limit wages of a club to a proportion of their turnover.

It would mean that clubs could still pay a top player whatever they wanted, but that their overall wage bill would be limited by how much money they could actually generate.

Olsson said: "On wages, I’m not against having a relationship between salary and turnover or earned income. We’re going to the EU with these proposals. It would open the way to have better control of the costs. If we have some cases where the wages represent 110 per cent of the turnover in the club,we have to react."

European sports ministers are currently considering legislation on the proposals of the IESR, which was set up by British sports minister Richard Caborn and headed by Portuguese politician Jose Luis Arnaut.

The review’s recommendations, including wage control, were enthusiastically received by the 25 EU sports ministers, who met earlier this month, along with the European Culture Commissioner, Jan Figel from Slovakia, and thus have a strong chance of being accepted into European law in the next two years.

It would end Chelsea’s spendthrift policy, which has seen them spend £276 million on transfers in less than four years and announce losses amounting to £228m. But the proposals are opposed by the Premier League and its chief executive Richard Scudamore.

And Olsson has delivered a stinging critique of the Premiership, claiming it was dominated by greedy clubs and in danger of becoming as corrupt as Italy’s Serie A.

Olsson said: "His (Scudamore’s) comments opposing the proposals are disappointing. I think his views are very English, very Premier League. Everyone who sees what is going on understands you need a European approach.

"But I think his views are not that important as, if only one of the major leagues is against the proposals and all the others are positive, it’s not a major blow."

Olsson implied that if it continued on its current path, the Premier League could end up like Italian football, where last summer Juventus were relegated and AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio were all docked points for being involved in a match-fixing scandal that saw referees favour their teams.

On the Premiership, Olsson said: "The uneven distribution of wealth is one thing that needs to be addressed. The development we had in Italy could also happen in England.

"In Italy they had a system where the top three clubs were totally dominating everything, when it came to distributing money, when it came to the organisations, where they were occupying the seat as the head of the league and the seat of the head of the FA. They only made contracts for themselves.

"If this is happening in any country, including England, and some of the big clubs are only grabbing, grabbing, grabbing, there will be a counter-reaction.

"If you listen to the explanations of Juventus (in the recent matchfixing scandal), one of them was that this (fixing referees) is perfectly fine because we were only acting in the interests of our shareholders. If that kind of argument is being used on a sporting issue, then we are on very dangerous ground."

To quote a poster who is ironically a chelsea fan.......
Ah Love It!
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea's Billions To Be Banned
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 05:34:11 AM »
I wonder what Palos will say now  ???
When I posted this for consideration many moons ago under the topic ...is big business ruining football I got some unflattering comments......
I wastold among other things that you cant change the tide ....
Funny though that what goes around comes around ..

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 05:48:41 AM »
I wonder what Palos will say now  ???

I think the first thing he will say is: Jai John post the same thing twice...
  :P
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 06:19:50 AM »
I wonder what Palos will say now  ???

I think the first thing he will say is: Jai John post the same thing twice...
  :P

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 09:28:59 AM »
To be fair to Palos Jai, this talk is nothing new and there is no guarantee that the EU will have the ability to enforce those rules.

UEFA takinig this to the EU is kinda like the FIFA disciplinary committee investigating jack, it is more likely than not that the status quo will remain the same.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »
well done.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:35:01 PM »
We will still be a force.

we used abramovich's billions to bring sheva and ballack (and as u can see, they have not really improved us)

I my opinion, this would be a blessing in disguise.  I am sure if we didnt have those millions, we would never have had to pay 21 million for wright phillips.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 02:16:16 PM »
How can they tell a business man how to run his business? This is pure rubbish by UEFA. When Real was over spending and over 100 million in the hole no one was talking about that. Real had to sell their training center to make the money and what was worst they did not own the land that the training center was on it was Governament land. Bellisconi (spelling ?) doing it since the late 80's, why all of a sudden they have concerns.

I am no Chelsea supporter but I cannot see this as fair.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 04:26:13 PM »
The way anyone controls 'bramovich's sepdning is by implementing
a cap across the board, a la the NFL, NHL, MLS.
Make it fair and equitable for all the clubs and ownerships.

But if that happens, you may not get this............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGhp9d3AYU

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »
How can they tell a business man how to run his business? This is pure rubbish by UEFA. When Real was over spending and over 100 million in the hole no one was talking about that. Real had to sell their training center to make the money and what was worst they did not own the land that the training center was on it was Governament land. Bellisconi (spelling ?) doing it since the late 80's, why all of a sudden they have concerns.

how do you explain the fact that baseball was able to do it and succeed ?

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 04:29:02 PM »

Baseball and American sport in general do not have promotion and relegation. Plus they have a draft pick set up for the bottom teams

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 04:46:30 PM »

American sports brought in salary caps to protect the owners, not the game.

If football clubs and their owners have the money, then let them spend it. Buying players for enormous transfer fees does not hurt football, it merely causes inflation within the transfer and salary market. Because, at the end of the day the number of superstar footballers out there has not increased - spending an extra £10m on a player doesn't make him any better, it just means you've spent more money than you would have in the pre-Abramovich world. Why is it unfair competition if Abramovich spends £100 million? That's £100 million that other clubs have received and now have available to spend on new players of their own.

And, as we've seen at Chelsea over the past 3 years,no matter how much money you have, you've only got room for 22 players in your squad and 11 on the pitch. So the same players who Chelsea are hoarding now will move on if they aren't getting a game (just as Gudjhonsen, Kezman and Crespo did). And they will move on for a lot less money.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 04:50:18 PM by Ryan »

Offline Milan!!!

• Naps man fuh life!!!
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 04:47:18 PM »
is about time....but i fed up here this talk over and over...

is tiem they talk the talk and walk the walk!!!!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 04:55:32 PM »

Baseball and American sport in general do not have promotion and relegation. Plus they have a draft pick set up for the bottom teams

what you are doing is explaining how baseball and basketball was able to make it worrk what i was implying is that a similar approach can be found in the case of football if that is what is decided. before bosman players were powerless , clubs ruled totally ...Bosman a footballer whose career was over took them to court and won annd now the power is in the players hands ..... players can say I dont want to play for this team after signing a contract and they are not penalised ..... before they could not go to another club ..tell ashley cole or gallas that today ...
the one thing that is sure to be constant is change, some of us are open to it others less so ...but it will happen whether we like it or not.
My own view is that if nothing is done to stem the actions of the big spenders clubs can be ruined and indeed the game may be taken away from the fans ...!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 08:45:47 PM »

we used abramovich's billions to bring sheva and ballack (and as u can see, they have not really improved us)

I my opinion, this would be a blessing in disguise.  I am sure if we didnt have those millions, we would never have had to pay 21 million for wright phillips.

ah love it!!
Andre yuh smoking some bad, bad weed.

Chelsea will be a force like they were a force for the 55 years before Abramovich arrived.

Before they had the money they were not paying over the odds for good players and they were still a shit side who could probably dream about a FA Cup here or there.

Without Abramovich's money Chelsea is a little side with 35,000 gates, massive debt while trying to compete with the United's and Arsenal's (because they do not generate money) and NO success.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 10:39:50 PM »

ah love it!!
Andre yuh smoking some bad, bad weed.

Chelsea will be a force like they were a force for the 55 years before Abramovich arrived.

Before they had the money they were not paying over the odds for good players and they were still a shit side who could probably dream about a FA Cup here or there.
Without Abramovich's money Chelsea is a little side with 35,000 gates, massive debt while trying to compete with the United's and Arsenal's (because they do not generate money) and NO success.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 10:47:53 PM »
Hard luck about that last post..I hit the "post" button by accident. But you can get my point from the fact that I put JDB's comment on Chelsea being a shit side in bold type. Before Abramovich, Chelsea were'nt really doing anything. At best, it was a mediocre club. Back in the day, Chelsea used to be the terrible. The first time I watched English football was in 1990. It was a game between Chelsea and Liverpool at Stamford Bridge. Liverpool scored a goal in the first minute and scored four more after that. Chelsea ended up getting a 5-2 cutass. The fixture at Anfield ended 4-1 in favor of Liverpool. I remember those games clearly because they made me become a Liverpool fan.

Chelsea may be great now thanks to Abramovich's billions, but they weren't always so.

Laterz

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 01:34:18 AM »
well done, even out the league

Offline Slade

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 10:53:56 AM »
Its a salary cap...

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 11:01:53 AM »
man u used to be winning title after title and no body used to be complaining.
Same for liverpool

Chelsea only win 2 title so far and they aint even win a champions league yet.

So to talk about Chelsea dominance is premature.

They have spent a lot of money on players but this is necessary because they had to make the Breakthrough. It is tough to get players to come in if you do not have the History of a real madrid or man U or arsenal so that is why they have to flash cash.

maybe in 10 years if they winning everything every year this will be an issue but for now it is premature.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 12:50:06 PM »
So true. ManU dominated when they had the money and others did not.
Same with Milan and Real madrid. It has always been that way, so what is
the problem?
Chelsea for all their money has not won the CL yet as KND point out.
Remember when Milan was winning everything no one complained. They won
Italian League and CL over and over with Billisconi dollars. Same with Real for donkey years
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 02:01:20 PM »
everybody have dey time...and this rounds the Blues making every effort tuh lift the trophy.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 02:21:42 PM »
Now lemme ask alyuh some questions here.

From a Fans perspective why is it bad?

If it is your team gettin the dollars and the big players, are you not happy yuh side can field the best in the world?

By extension you are treated to a spectacle if you turn on the TV

If you are willing to pay to see them play.....you are paying to see a superb athlete entertain you, and at the end of the day Football is entertaniment and value for money.

Big side is big side and with success comes money.

If abravomich had bought Middlesborough, Charlton,r Birmingham or Rovers the same end result woulda happen....but what wrong with that.

Realise this, at the professional level everyone is supposed to be at a standard. However the Cash buys you the stars that win the game and seperate the sheep from the goat.

Alyuh relax and sit back and enjoy the football nah man.

If only so much shit side and scruffle football one can take......let the investors come in let them pump money and let them bring the best players from around the world to light up yuh TV.

If is anyone benefitting is the fans.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

1]; } ?>