March 28, 2024, 11:09:32 PM

Author Topic: Tribut to Victory 'Sharkey' Henry  (Read 1909 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Tribut to Victory 'Sharkey' Henry
« on: December 18, 2006, 04:34:22 AM »
Tribute to ‘Sharkey’ on Boxing Day
Sunday, December 17 2006

FOOTBALLERS of the era of Victor “Sharkey” Henry and his “nursery” club Boissiere Youths, will pay tribute to their late star on Boxing Day, December 26.

They will participate in the fourth annual memorial match between a Boissiere youths team and Henry’s Selection at George V Park from 2 pm.

“Sharkey” as he was popularly called was diminutive striker for Boissiere Youths, Paragon, Malvern, Defence Force and the national team.

He was a prolific goalscorer for Malvern in the then Port-of-Spain Football League “in front the Grand Stand.”

At the end of his career, “Sharkey” still turned out for Henry’s XI and the BWIA Graduates, two over-40 teams.

And he later turned to coaching as a FIFA qualified coach, assisting the national youth team, Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive, San Juan Senior Comprehensive, San Juan Jabloteh and his “home club” Boissiere Youths.

“Sharkey” migrated to the United States thereafter and continued his coaching career at several clubs and schools in Boston, and is reputed to have been very instrumental in developing soccer in Massachussets.

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tribut to Victory 'Sharkey' Henry
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 05:41:37 AM »
Good morning,
         I did not know Sharkey died. I remember Sharkey played for the Regiment as they were called then in the late 60s. He was a household name in TT then. He  played with Licoln, Gerry Brown, Victor Gamaldo. He was small but had plenty speed. Scored plenty goals for the army. He played a couple time for TT. His bigger brother Ken, played for TT and was an assistant national coach. Then he had a smaller brother who play for QRC. When he left the army he played with Boissiere. Then I saw him in Boys high NY playing with over 30/40 football. Still looked spritely. And I have not seen or heard about him. I hope they have a big turn out for his memorial. He had one of the best football nicknames. He was like a shark in front the goal. TT had the original Henri. Sharkey Henri

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:42:29 AM »
Good morning,
         I did not know Sharkey died. I remember Sharkey played for the Regiment as they were called then in the late 60s. He was a household name in TT then. He  played with Licoln, Gerry Brown, Victor Gamaldo. He was small but had plenty speed. Scored plenty goals for the army. He played a couple time for TT. His bigger brother Ken, played for TT and was an assistant national coach. Then he had a smaller brother who play for QRC. When he left the army he played with Boissiere. Then I saw him in Boys high NY playing with over 30/40 football. Still looked spritely. And I have not seen or heard about him. I hope they have a big turn out for his memorial. He had one of the best football nicknames. He was like a shark in front the goal. TT had the original Henri. Sharkey Henri

It's good to hear so many good things about sharkey,he was my personal friend as well as a friend of my late father,he was much older than me,but then again I started off very young hanging out with older guys some of then my dads friends.

Sharkey was a boss footballer,even when I knew him in his late 30s early 40s and he could bat some serious alco,It was me,sharkey,emanuel sammy and ah rum cork name caiyo from boissiere use to bat some serious liquor on ah friday after work............He's always in my memory...........       

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 07:56:47 AM »
Good Morning Saga Pinto,
                         If you going to the memorial, take a drink for me.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 08:56:33 AM »
I will never forget Mr. Henry (and his brother). 
Sunshine Snacks 1983-1984
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 09:44:13 AM »
If i was to ever name a true friend it was Sharkey,the first person to take me to a club when i joined the Regiment it was him,i was able to learn so much from him as a player,we played together for the Army which turned to the eventual Defence Force,we were the original DF,he is one of the best headers of the ball i've ever seen in T&T,i was in touch with him up to the last days i still do remember him,he gave me the name "Snake",it's really nice to know it have a tribute for him he deserves something like that,sorry i can't be there.

I'll always remember that game against Malvern when we gave them 5 Sharkey scored 3 and i scored 2 Danny Muller gave up GK after that,Sharkey even flicked a ball in that game and held it behind his Neck, it's all about memories.(Good Guy)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 11:14:25 AM »
The name was one that I had heard many times growing up, but did not really know him personally. I did meet him briefly through palos or truetrini in Foxboro during WCQ a few years back.Did not know he had passed on....From what I knew,talented would be an understatement....
RIP...

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »
De SHARK lives on in de minds of all family and friends
Doh loss yuh head boss

1]; } ?>