March 28, 2024, 11:56:34 PM

Author Topic: 'It's about time we have a steady World Cup squad'  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'It's about time we have a steady World Cup squad'
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:27:52 AM »
West Indies in Pakistan 2006-07

'It's about time we have a steady World Cup squad'

Chris Gayle

December 18, 2006

Gayle: Pakistan was disappointing for me. No excuses, it was a good experience © Getty Images

Well this is the grand finale. It has been a long time on the road and it comes to an end as all things must come to an end. It's been a long, hard fight on the road, three and a half months, but unfortunately the tour ended on a disappointing note.

We started well in Malaysia, then went on to India and finished here in Pakistan. First of all, to touch on the last couple of Pakistan games, it was disappointing in both forms but I think it was a good experience. India and Pakistan may be neighbours but it's a different environment.

You get English conditions here, it's a bit cooler and it's been a while since we've played in those conditions. In the last game we came up a bit short defending 238. I think we should have got more runs on the board, it was a flat pitch and Pakistan came out easy in the end with a lot of wickets in had.

I thought the team played well in the one-dayers. Marlon (Samuels) got a century and came back to his own and it is good to see him get an opportunity to prove himself at the top of the order. Shiv (Chanderpaul) came up in the end with another century. After missing the first two games he came back well and got a half-century and a century.

Once this continues and everyone contributes it will be good for the team. The bowlers did well in Pakistan -Jerome (Taylor), (Corey) Collymore, (Daren) Powell in his first game and (Dwayne) Smith played a good part as well.

If we continue to play the sort of cricket we have been playing, we will find ourselves struggling going into the World Cup. The chopping and changing is going to be difficult for us and put us on the back foot.

Personally, from my point of view, things can be handled right within the team with the selections on a whole. It's about time we have a steady World Cup squad ... there is no time to experiment now.

On a personal note, I started with a good one-day series in Malaysia and then continued on in India on a high and then came to Pakistan and it was a disappointing tour for me in both forms. No excuses, it was a good experience; I will use it to gain more experience. In the bowling department, I think I have been underused on most occasions. I am not a scapegoat bowler in this team to be used only when things are difficult.

Things can be handled a bit better in that scenario. I have to wish my fans and everyone a merry Christmas and happy new year when the new year arrives. I hope everyone keeps supporting the team, we have a lot of cricket to play next year and, hopefully, we will start the new year on a high note.

This Christmas is not going to be a party Christmas for me but you can find me in the club most of the times.

© Trinidad & Tobago Express

taken from www.cricinfo.com

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 'It's about time we have a steady World Cup squad'
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:28:56 AM »

If we continue to play the sort of cricket we have been playing, we will find ourselves struggling going into the World Cup. The chopping and changing is going to be difficult for us and put us on the back foot.

Personally, from my point of view, things can be handled right within the team with the selections on a whole. It's about time we have a steady World Cup squad ... there is no time to experiment now.

Its nice to see at least one player in the current squad that has a brain. Shame about the selectors.

As i always say- pick the strongest side.

Winning is a habit. You have to have a winning mentality to become successful, and we are not going to get that by constantly changing the side.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:30:46 AM by Remie »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:40:38 AM »

Its nice to see at least one player in the current squad that has a brain. Shame about the selectors.

Winning is a habit. You have to have a winning mentality to become successful, and we are not going to get that by constantly changing the side.

i dont like de exclusion of mohammed from the bowlers by gayle, ah hope he not on de curry favour tip, diz why he calling for steady team, i find we have alot of experimenting to do still, maybe more so after the world cup, but it have players who deserve to get a look and players who shouldnt be there atall...

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 12:30:10 PM »

when we had a constant team more or less  agaisnt inida and during the ICC champiosn troph y we did fine. i agreee. if the present team doign it then we need to keep these players.
if someoen hae to come in it have to because if injury..someone woefully outta form...or conditions so suited to a particular speciality that would warrant an inclusion.
if not consistency...is best
but consistency of a group of players that ar eplayign well. they should be consistent with selection just becaue....dais madness.
 i think de fellas had a long tour..
and opefulyl come next yr
that hunger will return and they would do welll
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

1]; } ?>