April 27, 2024, 03:24:13 AM

Author Topic: Zzzzzzidane speaks  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zzzzzzidane speaks
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »
Quote from: Zinedine Zidane
I hadn't planned on doing a Paneka (chipped penalty), but I knew I was going to need something special. I usually put my penalties in the same place but I was up against a man who, alongside Barthez, is the best keeper in the world.

he really refer to Barthez as one of the two best keepers in the world?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 07:28:41 PM »
Quote from: Zinedine Zidane
I hadn't planned on doing a Paneka (chipped penalty), but I knew I was going to need something special. I usually put my penalties in the same place but I was up against a man who, alongside Barthez, is the best keeper in the world.

he really refer to Barthez as one of the two best keepers in the world?

Not my cup of tea..but not all that far fetched. Barthez was one of the best shot stoppers at one time. Very acrobatic and agile. A little eccentric, but he did look Wold Class when he was on. His form for France was always good. It was his ManU bloopers that kinda spoiled his rep as a consistently top class keeper..and the shadow of Peter Scmeichel didn't help either imho

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »
barthez is shit... he does make to much stupid mistake ah mean de type ah mistake yuh does say tuh yuhself WTF?

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 07:42:17 AM »
Interesting interview. I like that he mentioned Ronaldo as the best he's played with. His comments about thinking and playing quickly made me reflect on the Warriors. We need to develop that element baaaaaad!
Toujour Pret!

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 09:59:05 AM »
 Nice interview...Zidane the World's Greatest Midfielder...say it himself Ronaldo, in form, is simply the best...Motivation is the key...When players reach the top is harder to keep them motivated to produce all the time...Del Bosque should have never been fired by Madrid because he knew how to motivate his players...The best football I ever see was 2002-2003 season Real madrid

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »
Name a goalkeeper that don't make mistakes or any player for that matter. Khan was prone to errors and big ones at that. Regardless of what people think of Bartez, ge was big time and the more important the game the better he seemed to play. He has won everything. Outstanding in WC 98 and Euro 2000, not to mention his achievements at a club level.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 12:20:32 PM »
Name a goalkeeper that don't make mistakes or any player for that matter.

No boss, not like Barthez.  Barthez make mistakes I never see before in my life.

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 05:17:05 PM »

No boss, not like Barthez.  Barthez make mistakes I never see before in my life.
ent...it hard to explain..but if yuh watch some of he old games for de pepole who really know barthez, yuh know what ah takin bout..

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 05:55:42 PM »

ent...it hard to explain..but if yuh watch some of he old games for de pepole who really know barthez, yuh know what ah takin bout..

i disagree, there have been worse...At ManU alone Roy Carroll, Mark Bosnich and let's not forget the great Massimo Taibi all made Barthez look like a genius. Cudicini was prone to some high class blunders (Arsenal and ManU fans will recall too happily), but he was sucha  great shot stopper that all was usually forgiven. The great Oliver Khan was almost unrecognizable for a short time after WC 2002. His blunders became legend and u can argue they cost him his captaincy and eventually his place in the national team. David 'Calamity' James used to be the king of goalie blunders. Dida last season before the WC had his own highlight reel of ridiculous blunders..the list goes on...Barthez did go nutz now and then..but you can't say he stood out with his errors.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:08:44 PM by Filho »

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 06:13:42 PM »

i disagree, there have been far worse....anyone recall Massimo Taibi
:rotfl: :rotfl:

i was a man utd fan back then....dat man used to have me worried........he make mistakes unparalleled by any other keeper

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 10:32:32 AM »

Not my cup of tea..but not all that far fetched. Barthez was one of the best shot stoppers at one time. Very acrobatic and agile. A little eccentric, but he did look Wold Class when he was on. His form for France was always good. It was his ManU bloopers that kinda spoiled his rep as a consistently top class keeper..and the shadow of Peter Scmeichel didn't help either imho
Good post...Barthez is still some shit doh.  Good shot stopper does not equate with good goalkeeper.  He can be as athletic as he wants to be, minus the cerebral game he might as well be a trained monkey in tights.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 11:48:43 AM »

Good post...Barthez is still some shit doh.  Good shot stopper does not equate with good goalkeeper.  He can be as athletic as he wants to be, minus the cerebral game he might as well be a trained monkey in tights.

Agreed, but I did not mean to imply good shot stopper =good goalkeeper. I was just highlighting his strengths. And a trained monkey in tights never won a WC and a Euro Championship. Funny analogy though ;D ;D The Euro Championship he was particularly good. I also think he was quite solid this WC and played it by the book. Nothing spectacular but very reliable all the way to the final. Maybe a more mature Barthez  ??? But I think we agree...his rep will always be tainted with some high profile eccentric mistakes.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 12:14:30 PM »

Agreed, but I did not mean to imply good shot stopper =good goalkeeper. I was just highlighting his strengths. And a trained monkey in tights never won a WC and a Euro Championship. Funny analogy though ;D ;D The Euro Championship he was particularly good. I also think he was quite solid this WC and played it by the book. Nothing spectacular but very reliable all the way to the final. Maybe a more mature Barthez  ??? But I think we agree...his rep will always be tainted with some high profile eccentric mistakes.

Well yuh know what they say...every now and then the sun will shine on a monkey's ass, lol.  Barthez has had his moments of brilliance without a doubt...France 98 particularly comes to mind, he was as key a contributor then as any of his teamates.  I really think is de Man U. sojourn that spoil he rep fuh me and many others.  He's no Rene Higuita to be sure...and is not like he's ah frustrated strike ala Chilavert or Jorge Campos...but still, I honestly would class him as talented but lucky rather than great.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 02:53:07 PM »
You cannot judge Bartez by one half a season with ManU. After all in 2oo1-02 with him in nets Manu had the best defensive record and they won the league

In 1993 he was outstanding in the CL final against Milan, which Marseilles won. Then the youngest keeper to win the CL.
Then he won two league titles in France
Wc98 he was outstanding
Euro 2000 arguably even better
Then he was solid in 2006.

If Bartez is crap then every team deserve a crap GK like Bartez because his record speaks for itself .
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »

You eh watch enough football yet. I think David James and David Seaman have him beat by long shots.

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »
Anyone here remembered that after a All star team when Ronaldo was playing in Italy and played on the same side with Zidane in that match...he begged the Boss at Inter to buy Zidane ?

I have no doubt that Ronaldo will also say that Zidane is also the best player he ever wanted to play with.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 06:18:26 PM »
Your career lasted nearly 15 years. What was the biggest change in football in all that time?

Zidane: In the eighties, technique was the most essential thing. Defenders were perhaps less tactically aware and you had more space and more time on the ball then. Today it's all about playing quickly and thinking quickly. Not just that. Players are athletes now and things have turned round a little.

For the most part, I've skimmed this interview but having just caught highlights of Matchdays 1 and 2 of the Digicel on FSC I was left with two impressions:

1. Much work needs to be done in improving the calibre of goalkeeping regionally

and

2. A tremendous lack of coordination between defenders and keepers persists - made all the more worrying because the highlights (featuring Antigua & Barbuda, Anguilla, Barbados and St. Kitts-Nevis) demonstrated over and over a woeful lack of tactical awareness, especially in the central defense!

1]; } ?>