March 29, 2024, 09:31:51 AM

Author Topic: UK based Soca Warriors set for boxing day games  (Read 1467 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UK based Soca Warriors set for boxing day games
« on: December 25, 2006, 12:54:10 PM »
UK based Soca Warriors set for boxing day games
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

Several of T&T's UK-based professional footballers will spend Christmas enjoying a bit of "Trini" cuisine, but their consumption will not be as grand as their friends and fans at home as they all have matches with their respective clubs on Boxing Day.
"Yeah, we are all planning to have some good local food but we won't be as lucky as you to eat as you wish because we all have games on Boxing Day, so as usual we have to watch the diet on the eve of a game," Gillingham defender Brent Sancho said on Sunday.
Sancho was at Kelvin Jack's new home in Sittingbourne which he recently moved into and Ian Cox will join them and some other friends today for Christmas lunch, for which the menu includes turkey, stew chicken, macaroni pie, pastelles, sorrel and, in Sancho's words, "some mauby which we got from home and fancy Christmas rice". The lunch is being cooked by Jack's girlfriend.
The former CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh goalie is currently recuperating from injury, but Sancho and Cox will line up tomorrow against Leyton Orient.
And of the other "Soca Warriors" in action on the same day, Dwight Yorke's Sunderland take on Leeds United; Kenwyne Jones' Southampton face Crystal Palace; Dennis Lawrence and Swansea City meet Crewe Alexandra; and Stern John and Chris Birchall's Coventry City clash with Ipswich Town. And Josh Johnson's Wrexham meet Rochdale and Hector Sam and Clayton Ince's Walsall tackle Shrewsbury.
In Scotland, Russell Latapy will also be out on the pitch as Falkirk face St Mirren and Collin Samuel's Dundee will be up against giants Celtic, while Jason Scotland's St Johnstone meet Clydebank.
"Football goes on as usual for all of us and this is a testing period because all the teams are trying to pick up the points before the period after the new year starts. That's when the pace really picks up," Sancho added. "Personally, I'm just coming off an injury but I'm getting back into good shape so hopefully I can get something good going out there. It has been a bit rough for Kelvin but he's doing the best thing now which is to rest and he should be back in good timing."
Sancho is also reported to have received a new offer from Gillingham but has not made his intentions clear.
And there have been reports in the English press suggesting that John's Coventry want him to limit or even quit his international appearances for T&T as they try to convince him to sign a new deal. But John, who was home earlier this month, hasn't decided on his next move.
"I was back home but I had some other things on my mind because my mom wasn't too well and I came to spend a couple days with her. I haven't given thought to what the manager has said and I will make my decision known soon. Otherwise I am trying to catch my game again after the injury (before the T&T vs Austria game).
"I think all of us based over here are getting on with the football. We're coming off a successful year as a country not only personally but I think the world saw Trinidad and Tobago and took note of us. That alone was the biggest achievement for us. I hope everyone, the teammates, the officials and the fans can enjoy the holiday season," John added.
The other "Soca Warriors" based in Trinidad are also expected to meet up as they spend the day with close friends and relatives. US-based goalkeeper Shaka Hislop is also back home with his family.
And the national team will resume training on Wednesday, ahead of the Digicel Caribbean Cup which they kick off on January 12 against Barbados at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
Also making his return home on Saturday was FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, who left football business in New York to be in Trinidad for Christmas.
Warner also shared in the holiday spirit last Thursday when he visited the Senior Citizens Home in Beckles Street, Chaguanas to deliver gifts and announce he was adopting the home.
Other T&TFF officials, including president Oliver Camps, also wished the nation a safe and enjoyable season.
"This time of year always has a special feeling about it. Never mind what obstacles may be in the way, the people always seem to shake it off and enjoy the season and in that light I hope the very best for all of T&T and the sporting public, particularly those involved in the football arena. We have come off a big year and we look forward to a prosperous new year with all our associates and fans," said Camps.

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UK based Soca Warriors set for boxing day games
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:15:16 AM »
Hope the fellas had a great day and nuff goals on Boxing Day.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 06:59:29 AM »
Kenwyne Jones get sent off after about 25mins.....straight Red!, doh know why but they had about 15 players involved in a shoving match after a set piece and Jones get ejected once order get restored!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 07:57:32 AM »
Kenwyne Jones get sent off after about 25mins.....straight Red!, doh know why but they had about 15 players involved in a shoving match after a set piece and Jones get ejected once order get restored!

Game ended 1-1...
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Milan!!!

• Naps man fuh life!!!
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 10:00:32 AM »
yeh boy...i hope dat mauby will give dem some added power in front of goal....Soca Warriors all de way...

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 02:44:43 PM »
 source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/6207775.stm
Celtic 2-2 Dundee Utd
[/size]
Celtic came from two behind to draw with Dundee United and end 2006 unbeaten on their home soil in the Scottish Premier League.

David Robertson headed United into a surprise lead from close range after 17 minutes against the league leaders.

Collin Samuel fired home following a Barry Robson free-kick.

But Darren O'Dea headed home after a free-kick from Shunsuke Nakamura, who then chipped in a beautiful equaliser to deny United victory.

Interview: Dundee United manager Craig Levein Interview: Celtic manager Gordon Strachan

They had been 12 minutes away from recording their first win at Celtic Park since Boxing Day 1992.

Evander Sno had replaced the suspended Neil Lennon in Celtic's midfielder after the captain's sending off against Falkirk on Saturday.

United were without the injured Steven Robb, while David Goodwillie dropped to the bench as David McCracken and Grant Smith came into the starting line-up.

Nakamura drove the ball inches past the far post as Celtic carved out the first good chance.

But the visitors took the lead when Lee Mair's cross to the back post was met by Robertson, who planted his close-range header past goalkeeper Artur Boruc.

Mair came to United's rescue when his perfectly-timed block tackle on Maciej Zurawski denied the Poland striker a certain equaliser.

Robson almost added to growing frustration inside Celtic Park when his curling shot from the edge of the penalty area went just a foot over the crossbar.

More woe visited the champions in the 37th minute when defender Balde injured his leg over-stretching to clear at the edge of his own box and had to be stretchered off.

The loss of the Guinean appeared to dampen the home side's enthusiasm and United started the second half with confidence.

Boruc did well to block an effort from Grant Smith before United went two ahead.

Samuel was first to react after a Robson free-kick was headed on by Garry Kenneth and Conway stabbed the ball into the six-yard box for the Trinidad & Tobago international.

Riordan was denied by an outstanding Stillie save, the United keeper diving low to his left to turn the Celtic midfielder's right-footed drive from 12 yards past the post.

But a dramatic two-minute spell brought the home side back into the game.

O'Dea knocked home a Nakamura free-kick from six yards after 78 minutes.

And the home side were level when the Japanese midfielder took a Riordan pass and floated a delightful chip from 20 yards over the despairing Stillie.

Celtic pressed hard for the winner and, in injury time, Riordan's effort from outside the box hit the post before rolling to safety with Stillie well out of his goal.

Celtic : Boruc, Telfer, Balde (O'Dea 39), McManus, Naylor, Nakamura, Sno, Gravesen, McGeady (Riordan 61), Zurawski, Jarosik (Miller 56).
Subs Not Used: Marshall, Conroy, Beattie, Pearson.

Goals : O'Dea 78, Nakamura 80.

Dundee Utd : Stillie, Conway, Kenneth, Mair (Proctor 85), Duff, McCracken, Kerr, Smith (Cameron 84), Robertson, Robson, Samuel.
Subs Not Used: McLean, Archibald, Easton, Goodwillie, Watson.

Booked : Robertson, Kerr, Robson.

Goals : Robertson 17, Samuel 58.

Att : 57,343

Ref : B Winter

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/6207775.stm

Published: 2006/12/26 16:52:18 GMT

© BBC MMVI
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

1]; } ?>