April 27, 2024, 04:14:00 AM

Author Topic: World-class society by 2025, says Arthur  (Read 876 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World-class society by 2025, says Arthur
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:42:26 PM »
World-class society by 2025, says Arthur
Published on: 12/27/06.

BARBADOS has made great strides as a nation since Independence, but Prime Minister Owen Arthur is not satisfied with it being just a developing country.

He made the point during a recent reception at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel in Kingston, Jamaica, which was hosted by him and the Honorary Consul of Barbados in Jamaica, Winston Bayley. It was the highlight of activities to celebrate Barbados' 40th anniversary of Independence.

Governor-General of Jamaica, Professor Kenneth Hall and Mrs Rhema Hall headed the list of special guests which included Barbadians living in Jamaica, Barbadian students from the tertiary institutions, friends of Barbados from the business, education and other sectors of society, and members of the diplomatic and consular corps of Jamaica.

"My national improvement plan for the period 2005-2025 is that we should be successful in building a world-class society with a world-class economy, with a world-class social system and world-class infrastructure for the next generation of Barbadians," Arthur told his audience.

He reminded them that Barbados already enjoyed free education at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels and that by 2020, the plan would be to give the University of the West Indies (Cave Hill Campus) all the land and financial capacity it needed to produce one university graduate per household within the time frame specified.

"I am looking for a better and brighter future in which we are not just the world's leading developing country; I am not satisfied with that. As much as we are proud of what we have achieved, we can do even more," he said. "I want us to be the first fully developed country in the region."

Other activities to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Independence included:

* the annual flag-raising ceremony at the A.Z. Preston Hall, which was held on November 30, at the Mona Campus of the University of the West Indies. Members of the Barbados Students' Association and the consul participated;

* On December 1, Elombe Mottley, a former director of the National Cultural Foundation, gave a lecture on the 40th anniversary theme A Proud Past: A World-Class Future, at the main library of the University of the West Indies (UWI);

* A display mounted by the Barbados Students' Association at the university library, which was viewed by Arthur, who also had vibrant discussions with the students on a wide range of topics.

* On December 3, a service of thanksgiving was held in the Chapel, Mona. The sermon was preached by Reverend Frank Barker, a Barbadian lecturer at the United Theological College of the West Indies, in
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>