April 28, 2024, 08:45:28 PM

Author Topic: Figo joins Al Ittihad  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Figo joins Al Ittihad
« on: December 29, 2006, 10:57:52 AM »
Source: International Herald Tribune

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia: Portuguese soccer star Luis Figo signed with Al Ittihad on Wednesday, and will move to Saudi Arabia next week.

Figo will play for six months for US$8 million (€6 million), said a club official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the information should be released by the club's head Mansour al-Balawi.

The 34-year-old Figo has been with Inter Milan since 2005. Before then, he'd played for Sporting Lisbon, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid.

He retired from internationals after the World Cup third-place playoff against Germany in July in which he earned a record 127th cap for Portugal.

Figo is expected to stay for a few days in Dubai before arriving in Jiddah on Jan. 5, the official said.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
Re: Figo joins Al Ittihad
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 11:10:22 AM »
That kinda answers the questions about him coming to the MLS!
All American

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:44:38 AM »
at $8 million US for 6 months... I'll go and play in Iraq...
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:49:48 AM »
nice one meh padnah :rotfl: :rotfl:
All American

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 12:07:46 PM »

screw Iraq, I going Canary Islands fuh dat kinda money

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 12:14:13 PM »

yeah I'd say that's a nice pension plan for good ole Luis ....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 12:36:39 PM »
I hope the few days in Dubai is on the club's tab.  That alone is about 8 mil.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 02:05:02 PM »

screw Iraq, I going Canary Islands fuh dat kinda money

Las Canarias is ah pretty nice place... yuh ent bound to pay me to go there nah
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »
Soccernet has an article saying Inter has denied any sale of Figo or any negotiation with Al Ittihad. The story was legit becasue Al Ittihad went public with the news and it was reported on some very reliable sources, but the Saudis may be lying as was the case when they claimed Eto'o was joining them on a short term contract last summer. Who knows...maybe Inter is not telling the truth. We'll have to wait and see

ROME, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Inter Milan have dismissed reports former FIFA World Player of the Year Luis Figo is set to sign for Saudi Arabian club Al Ittihad.

Italian and Saudi newspapers have for the past week reported that the midfielder, whose contract with Inter expires at the end of the season, was on the brink of moving to the Jedda-based club.
'There is no negotiation underway for the sale of Luis Figo, and news in the last few days of a possible transfer is without any foundation,' a statement on the club's official website read on Thursday.
Portuguese Figo, who began his career at Sporting Lisbon, played for Barcelona and Real Madrid before joining Inter at the start of the 2005-06 season.
Inter coach Roberto Mancini also denied reports of the player's departure.
Mancini, who is in the Bahraini capital with his team for a training camp and a friendly match against the Bahrain national team, told the Gulf Daily News that Figo was staying put, the Asian Football Confederation said on its Web site on Thursday.
'I have no intention of giving Figo away to any club,' Mancini was quoted as saying.
'We still need his services and, as we speak, he is certainly staying with us until his contract expires at the end of this year.'
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 05:29:38 PM by Filho »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 08:32:46 AM »
ent eh itthad is the same team that supposedly sign eto for 2 games or something like that?

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/photo;_ylt=AvylA89NB9wRYWnzL6mVjcgmw7YF?slug=getty-fbl-bahrain-por-ita-ksa-figo-ittihad_9_15_27_am&prov=getty

Figo set to join Al Ittihad in July

AFP
January 5, 2007

MANAMA (AFP) - Portugal World Cup star Luis Figo has signed a one-year contract to play for Saudi Arabian side Al Ittihad next season, club chairman Mansour al Balwi has told AFP.

"We have signed a deal for one year from July 1, 2007," he said Friday.

No further details of the contract were available, but al Balwi said it was "one of the biggest deals ever in the Middle East."
ADVERTISEMENT

"Luis Figo has lots of experience and he will be a great asset for the club," al Balwi said.

Al Ittihad have been chasing the 34-year-old Inter Milan midfielder for several weeks and had previously claimed that he had signed a one-year contract worth 4.5 million euros (5.9 million dollars) and would be arriving on January 5.

But the Italian champions dismissed that report and insisted they would hold on to the former World and European Footballer of the Year at least until his current contract runs out at the end of June.

Figo has played little under Inter coach Roberto Mancini having retired from international football after Portugal lost to France in the World Cup semi-finals in July.

He previously played with Sporting Lisbon (1989-1995), Barcelona (1995-2000) and Real Madrid (2000-2005) before joining Inter.

Inter, the current Italian league leaders, are currently in Bahrain and will face the Bahrain national team in a friendly match on Saturday before flying back to Italy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:23:21 AM by Andre »

Offline TRUwarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 01:42:31 PM »
eat a food and belch
Figo Win!! :rotfl:

1]; } ?>