April 19, 2024, 08:56:43 PM

Author Topic: let us REWIND TO A BEENIE INTERVIEW..remember this!  (Read 1563 times)

Offline raj

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
let us REWIND TO A BEENIE INTERVIEW..remember this!
« on: July 12, 2005, 10:52:57 AM »
Beenhakker: Different cultures, same game
6 May 2005
by FIFAworldcup.com

Enlarge Photo
Photo Gallery
After a short hiatus, globetrotting boss Leo Beenhakker recently grabbed hold of the reins of the Trinidad and Tobago national team. With his new charges having taken only one point from their three Germany 2006 qualifiers under his predecessor, Bertille St Clair, Beenhakker will need to draw on his wealth of experience to turn their campaign around.
With just over a month to go before a crucial home clash with Panama, FIFAworldcup.com sat down with the 62-year-old Dutch master tactician to talk about the upcoming push toward what would be the Caribbean Soca Warriors' first-ever finals appearance.

After having coached Ajax, Real Madrid and the Netherlands, was it a difficult decision to take up the task of overseeing a team as unheralded as tiny Trinidad & Tobago?
The decision was not a difficult one – why would it be? Last summer I finished up coaching in Mexico (Beenhakker was sacked as head coach of Club America at the close of the 2004 season), and I promised myself a few moments of rest; after all it's many years now that I have been a professional coach. And after devoting yourself to something for so long you always need a little break. But football is like dope ... within a few months it always pulls you back. So when the offer came from Trinidad, I did not hesitate. I went there to look things over and I said to myself, 'Why not?'

After such a slow start under St Clair do you feel qualification is still a reasonable possibility?
It will be a challenge. But I love being a coach and I love football. The challenge is the best part; it's what makes football great. We know the situation isn't as good as it could be for us (T&T are bottom of their six-team group with one point from three matches). But on the other hand, apart from the USA and Mexico, there is very little between Guatemala, Panama, Costa Rica and T&T. The better-prepared team will rise from these four. We still have a very good chance, as three of the six teams go directly through and the fourth gets a play-off. In my mind, we are still very much alive.

What is the first order of business in organising the team for the next round of qualifiers?
I have been keeping an eye on the situation. As you may know, there are many Trinidadians playing abroad in the England, Scotland and the USA, but I have to take a look at the local players who may have been passed over. I plan to run some sessions with local players and get a chance to see what they can do. I will be watching videos, seeing what the possibilities are and working toward the game with Panama in early June.

Enlarge Photo
Photo Gallery
Speaking of the Panama match at home, do you see it as a must-win?
Of course, it is crucial. Though we may surprise the United States or Mexico, we must be realistic and take our points where we can. The main battle for us is with the lesser teams, and we have to win our home games in order to fight for that third or fourth spot.
There is talk of veteran Russell Latapy returning to T&T as a player or a possible assistant coach...
I have to have a chat with Russell before I know what his status is. As of right now, the main issue is getting the best players out on the pitch. If he is physically and mentally ready to play, then I might use him. He is a quality player and he knows the game of football, so he will be a big help to us one way or another.

Have you received the full support of the Trinidadian federation and the local leagues?
They have both been fantastic in their support. We all have the same goal – to reach the World Cup in Germany in 2006, so we have to cooperate to the best of our abilities. The local leagues, the organisation, the federation have all been great. We have to work very closely to achieve our common goal.

Do you feel your extensive coaching CV will help you whip the team into shape?
I think my experience will bring something extra to the team ... at least I hope so! I have been coaching for a long time now in many different circumstances. I have been with Holland, Ajax, Real Madrid and many other teams - and these experiences give you a lot to work with. The situation is different here in Trinidad, but it is still a matter of getting the best out of your players. Though it may be a different culture, it's still football. It's always the same wherever you are. You need to know the game, know the tactics and know how to deal with people.

What is the most important thing you will have to do to get T&T back on track?
We must use what we have, this is the crucial thing. You need to have eleven players who know where to be, how to move, how to support each other. PSV Eindhoven and AZ Alkmaar are great examples of this principle. Each player must know what the others are going to do. The team, not the individuals, is the most important thing. We will need to play to our strengths and know what we can and can't do. If we can achieve this unity, we can reach our goals. You don't need 11 superstars to have success.

::)

Offline login

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: let us REWIND TO A BEENIE INTERVIEW..remember this!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 10:56:43 AM »
wa is ur point ?

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 12:12:07 PM »
wa is ur point ?

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 12:33:58 PM »
We know the situation isn't as good as it could be for us (T&T are bottom of their six-team group with one point from three matches).

I like how Beenhakker refers to Trinidad as "us"

1]; } ?>