April 24, 2024, 06:16:36 PM

Author Topic: Inspirational Story of the DAY!!  (Read 1700 times)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Inspirational Story of the DAY!!
« on: January 03, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
Commuter Saves Man on Subway Tracks
By DEEPTI HAJELA
AP

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/commuter-saves-man-on-subway-tracks/20070103091809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

NEW YORK (Jan. 3) - Trying to rescue a teenager from a subway track as a train roared in, Wesley Autrey faced a harrowing choice: Try to pull the young man to the platform, or push him down and hope to find a safe harbor between the rails.

"I tried to pull him up, but I had to make a split decision whether or not to struggle and maybe end up getting us both killed," Autrey said later. "So I just chose to dive on top of him and pin him down."

It worked. The train passed over them, saving the 19-year-old who had fallen, police said. A relative identified him as Cameron Hollopeter, a student at the New York Film Academy.

Hollopeter's stepmother, Rachel Hollopeter, said Autrey was "an angel."

"He was so heroic," she said early Wednesday in a telephone interview. "If he wasn't there, this would be a whole different call."

The teenager had a medical problem Tuesday and tumbled onto the tracks at a station in northern Manhattan, police said.

Autrey, waiting with his two young daughters, jumped down and rolled with the young man into the trough between the rails as a southbound train came into the station.

The drainage trough is typically about 12 inches deep but can be as shallow as 8 or as deep as 24, a New York City Transit spokesman said.

The train's operator put the emergency brakes on. Before the train stopped, two cars passed over the men - with about 2 inches to spare, Autrey said.

Neither man was hit, police said. Authorities said the rescued man was in stable condition later Tuesday at a local hospital.

Autrey, 50, declined medical attention. Onlookers cheered him, hugged him and called him a hero.

"I don't feel like I did something spectacular; I just saw someone who needed help," he told The New York Times. "I did what I felt was right."

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Inspirational Story of the DAY!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:26:29 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »
He is a flickin madman  :-\

He leave he two lil chirren ,risk death to save a stranger and he eh know how deep de culvert beetween de drain is?

If i was he mudda ah woulda give him ah cut ass
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:07:19 PM »
I always wondered if the trough is deep enough to avoid a train. It looks so, but you never know. but boy they must ah come up stink. Those troughs must be the grimiest places on earth.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:12:10 PM »
I always wondered if the trough is deep enough to avoid a train. It looks so, but you never know. but boy they must ah come up stink. Those troughs must be the grimiest places on earth.

Yeah they are nasty as hell and he damn lucky de train didn't take him.  The gutters aren't all that deep so he should have lost ah couple ah years off he life.  Which train station was it???  It have some in Mid-town Manhattan dat deep as ah ole hoe from 007 but den you find some dat yu cah even spit into properly.   
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 02:41:45 PM »

Yeah they are nasty as hell and he damn lucky de train didn't take him.  The gutters aren't all that deep so he should have lost ah couple ah years off he life.  Which train station was it???  It have some in Mid-town Manhattan dat deep as ah ole hoe from 007 but den you find some dat yu cah even spit into properly.   
dragon i was going to say like u had to hide under dey a couple of times..yes de ones in de nyc subway system is deep enough for people
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

1]; } ?>