April 29, 2024, 01:39:42 PM

Author Topic: Chinese Laundry Thread  (Read 7697 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chinese Laundry Thread
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »
Chinese Laundry dad succumbs to heart attack
Ellis Chow Lin On

BY PETER RAY BLOOD

SOCA MUSIC lost one of its most faithful sons yesterday as Ellis Chow Lin On, 69, passed away at St Clair Medical Complex.

One of the founders of pioneer soca band Charlie’s Roots, as well as a producer/manager of some of the biggest and most successful artistes in the genre, Chow Lin On was brother to renowned Carnival engineer/artisan Aldwyn Chow Lin On, father of record producer/radio company owner, Anthony “Chinese Laundry” Chow Lin On.

He also leaves to mourn his wife, Philomena, fondly known as “Phillo,” and daughters, Sharon, a former Trinidad Guardian Business desk reporter, Anne Marie and Donna.

Ellis could be described as a spindle which significantly supported the genesis, development and proliferation of soca music. With New York-based producer Rawlston “Charlie” Charles, he formed Roots back in the ’70s, a musical powerhouse that was subsequently known as Manhattan Charlie’s Roots.

The band then boasted some of the most competent, young, creative musicians in the land, including Vernon Headley, Vonrick Maynard, Tony Voisin, Leopold Stephenson and the late Junior Wharwood.

In ensuing years, Ellis shaped and defined the vehicle that was Roots, ably assisted of course by the band’s musical director Pelham Goddard, its super musicians, and a dynasty of outstanding lead vocalists, including Christopher “Tambu” Herbert, Debbie Selvon, Wendy Prescott, David Rudder, Roger George, Kerwyn Trotman and KV Charles. Other artistes sharing the Roots spotlight back then included Calypso Rose and the late Maestro.

Ellis lived his life for music, at times under tremendous odds and challenges, but he always came through for the music and T&T. He was undoubtedly a dedicated cultural ambassador for our country.

Having befriended Jamaica’s “don of calypso” Byron Lee, Ellis, with his brother Adlwyn, were very instrumental in the conceptualisation and birth of Jamaica carnival in 1987.

Musically and investment-wise, many a bi-nation music deal was struck between Ellis and Lee, with Roots being unofficially regarded as sister band to Lee’s Dragonaires, more so when both appeared at carnivals, festivals and fetes, regionally and internationally.

Ellis was also a “peoples’ person” who befriended all supporters of Roots and its treasured singers. During the ’80s, with the formation of Roots’ support group, Frontline, Ellis was considered somewhat of a patron.

At the turn of the ’90s, Ellis, accommodated by good friend Hollis Kam, was instrumental in further enhancing Roots’ reputation and fame by presenting the band weekly at Atlantis and Upper Level Club at West Mall.

Described by Goddard as “a real saltfish,” Goddard recalled that back in the ’70s, at KH Recording Studios in Sea Lots, with legendary engineer Eric Michaud, and owners Kerry Richards and Hunt Wong Moon, Ellis was rubbing shoulders and collaborating with the best in the music, including Art de Coteau, Ed Watson, Calypso Rose, Shadow, Maestro and Kitchener.

Despite his joie de vivre and affability, Ellis did have some detractors. In fact, in the ’80s, amidst claims by some artistes of the existence of a “Chinee mafia” in soca, Ellis was dubbed “the godfather.” Reigning Independence Calypso Monarch Cro Cro even immortalised him in song, alluding to the perceived exploits of “Ellis, de Chinee man.”

Contacted yesterday at his Agra 9 Studio in St James, a stunned and shaken Goddard said: Ellis is the man responsible for a lot of soca artistes getting on the map, who otherwise would have been never heard of. He has done so much for so many people.

When I got the news this morning, I got an instant headache. If there was no Ellis Chow Lin On, there might not have been a SuperBlue as it was Ellis who took a chance on Blue Boy when the singer was managed by Romey Abraham back in 1980, with Soca Baptist.

There is so much I have to say about that man, but I can’t right now ’cause the news has me really shook up and practically speechless.”

Given all his past deeds of good, Ellis received his first award three years ago, a lifetime award he received in New York from young artiste Colin “CJ” Jackman at the 2004 Soca Awards, at Eden Palace.

Despite undergoing triple bypass surgery four years ago, Ellis, almost immediately upon convalescing, was back in the thick of things, his attention turned to managing reigning International Soca and Groovy Soca Monarch Shurwayne Winchester.

Ellis Chow Lin On will be greatly missed by all in the music fraternity.

How Ellis Chow Lin On died

Ellis Chow Lin On was working in a studio in St James on Wednesday evening when he complained of feeling unwell, his daughter Sharon Lym said.

Speaking yesterday, Lym said her family got the call around 7 pm that her father was not feeling well. They later found out he had fainted.

Chow Lin On’s son-in-law, Greg and another family member took him to St Clair Medical Centre where heart and head tests were done.

He had regained consciousness. His pressure was a little low. They brought it back up and it was stabilised.

He was talking to mommy. He was coherent. The doctor said he was stable, that they were keeping him in the intensive care unit for observation,”Lym said yesterday.

Lym said her family got a call about 7 am yesterday saying that her father was not doing well.

By the time we got to the hospital, he was gone,” said a tearful Lym.

Chow Lin On was 69.

The official cause of his death has been listed as acute myocardial infarction, commonly known as a heart attack.

‘Ellis lived his life for music, at times under tremendous odds and

challenges, but he always came

through for the music and T&T.

He was undoubtedly a dedicated

cultural ambassador for our country.’
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:45:05 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Chinese Laundry Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »
Chinese Laundry shot

C News Live http://www.facebook.com/cnewslive/posts/10151616057915610
Reports say businessman Anthony Chow Lin On (Chinese Laundry) is undergoing emergency surgery at Westshore Medical Centre after he was shot four times tonight.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:44:16 AM by Flex »

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Laundry shot
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
ENT! BREAKING NEWS ‏@EntBreakingNews 8m
“@MarkBassant1: Police sources say Chinese Laundry was shot once in the face,twice in the hand & once on the hip...” Rt
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »
What de ass is dis...hope he pulls through

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
CL Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 05:55:06 AM »
Jus hear on my drive into work that Chinese Laundry got shot 4 times and in hospital....Doh know anymore information....Any more news from the home front?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CL Shot
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:43 AM »
Whoaa!

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:31:06 AM »
Just posted this on the general forum...F8ck, shot in the face....

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:49:29 AM »
De music mafia get shot.

WOW ....

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:11:56 AM »
damn

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »
In ICU at Westshore in a stable condition according to I95 800 o' clock news.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:29:03 AM »
stable--Good to hear
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
Good to hear that he is stable. He is lucky to be alive after being shot 4 times.

Looks like something seriously personal. Wonder if they have any idea who the suspect(s) are?

Hope it has no connection with some local disgruntled artist being fed up of lack of support and not getting any airplay.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
Good to hear that he is stable. He is lucky to be alive after being shot 4 times.

Looks like something seriously personal. Wonder if they have any idea who the suspect(s) are?

Hope it has no connection with some local disgruntled artist being fed up of lack of support and not getting any airplay.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
Reprisal for stopping a break in.

Alleged
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »
At least he stable...

Dumplingdinho

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:56:32 AM by Tallman »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Laundry dad succumbs to heart attack
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »
Man on Man. RIP SOCA MAN. I used to see his name on on them soca records, especially the Charlie's label. I hope use make some good soca in heaven.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
Stueps for what?
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 08:00:53 PM »
See how things can get confusing when a thread is 6 years old? Had me thinking CL passed away.

(If yuh read his tweets, you would see he has been attentive to politics and football).

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
quags why u bring up this old thread. stueps.
Youtube Channel

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
haha I see a man was looking at it on who online ,thought it was easier than starting a whole new tread sorry they .
any good chinese laundry music around ,mellow .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybhJtBPeK9w
this sound good.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:23:18 PM by Qmire »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 09:33:38 PM »
See how things can get confusing when a thread is 6 years old? Had me thinking CL passed away.

(If yuh read his tweets, you would see he has been attentive to politics and football).

ENTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »
Just vibesing with some reggae cause of this .
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NhsYxWZt67U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NhsYxWZt67U</a>
listened to these 2 first lol
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ybhJtBPeK9w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ybhJtBPeK9w</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/G1OGsH9Cb_g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/G1OGsH9Cb_g</a>

Modify message

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:57:47 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>