April 27, 2024, 12:12:11 PM

Author Topic: whew...Seattle wins  (Read 2543 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
whew...Seattle wins
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:09:41 PM »
DeSoWa, how things
 :applause: :applause:
"Fumbles help Seahawks fend off Cowboys

SEATTLE (Jan. 6, 2007) -- All Tony Romo had to do was put the ball down and let Martin Gramatica make a short kick. He couldn't do it -- and the Seattle Seahawks are still alive in the NFL playoffs.

Romo's botched hold on a 19-yard field goal try with 1:19 left forced the Pro Bowl quarterback to scramble left, but he was tackled at the 2 and the Seahawks escaped with a 21-20 victory in the wildest of wild-card games.

"It looked like it was a pretty good snap. He was the holder all year," Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said. "We were in position to win if we could just execute the extra point."

Seattle trailed 20-13 after getting stopped on fourth-and-goal with about 6:40 to go, but rallied thanks to a Dallas fumble-turned-safety on the next snap and a 37-yard touchdown pass from Matt Hasselbeck to Jerramy Stevens on the ensuing drive.

Romo moved the Cowboys from their 28 to the Seattle 2 on a pass to Jason Witten that initially was ruled a first down before a replay showed the Cowboys were short. Dallas still had its offense on the field after being told it was fourth down, then sent in Gramatica -- who already had made kicks of 50 and 29 yards -- to win it.

At least, that was the plan.

Romo was stopped on a shoestring tackle by Jordan Babineaux. The Seahawks still had to get away from the shadow of their goal line to protect the victory, but did so right away with Shaun Alexander running through the middle for 20 yards.

Seattle milked the clock to 8 seconds before a punt that gave Dallas one last chance from the 50.

Romo scrambled, weaving right then left, and heaved it into the end zone. The ball bounced away, with Terrell Owens among the Cowboys who failed to grab it.

Seattle's rabid fans smacked together the Shrek-colored gloves they'd been given for their loudest cheer of the night, already dreaming of another long playoff run like the one that lasted all the way to the Super Bowl last season.

Romo, meanwhile, walked off by himself, head down. His storybook rise from unknown backup to starlet-dating Pro Bowler ended in the worst imaginable way.

The Cowboys remain without a playoff win since 1996. They're 0-for-2 under Parcells and might have played their last game for him. If so, his four-year tenure would end with three straight losses and four in his last five games.

Seattle will play on the road next weekend, the foe determined by the Philadelphia-New York Giants game Sunday. If the Eagles win, the Seahawks play at Chicago. If the Giants win, the Seahawks play at New Orleans.

As bizarre as this finish was, it was only the second-craziest of the season for Dallas. On Nov. 5, the Cowboys lost 22-19 to Washington after a last-second field goal was blocked and a flag on the return let the Redskins kick the winner with no time left.

But the punch to the gut of that loss was nothing compared to this one. This one will haunt Dallas at least until next season and likely until the longest postseason drought in franchise history ends -- whenever that is.

And Romo will have to live with one of the most memorable blunders in playoff history.

Hasselbeck was 18-for-36 for 240 yards with two touchdowns, both to Stevens, and two interceptions, both of which resulted in Dallas field goals.

Alexander ran 24 times for 69 yards. His 20-yard burst at the end was his longest of the game.

Romo was 17-of-29 for 189 yards and a touchdown. He didn't have any turnovers after a spurt of them in recent weeks, although he did fumble once. And, of course, there was the botched snap that mattered most.

Gramatica was nearly the star of the game, not only for the would've-been-winner but for his 50-yarder on the opening series. Dallas signed him late in the season after Parcells gave up on Mike Vanderjagt, the most accurate kicker in league history.

Another hero would've been Miles Austin, an undrafted rookie who had the first kickoff return for a touchdown in Cowboys playoff history. His 93-yarder put Dallas up 17-13 in the third quarter only 11 seconds after the Seahawks had gone ahead.

The Cowboys' defense was way better than usual, too. They allowed only two first-half field goals, their stingiest half in eight games, and kept Seattle from ever getting into a groove.

Dallas is 0-5 in the playoffs since winning a wild-card game at Minnesota on Dec. 28, 1996. The Cowboys had never lost more than three straight postseason games.

Parcells had never even lost two straight playoff games before this 0-3 drought. In 2003, his first year in Dallas, he became the only coach to guide four teams into the playoffs, but another loss kept him from upping that mark to the only coach to win playoff games with four clubs.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren won his 12th career playoff game, tying Bill Cowher for fifth-best in NFL history."
http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20070106_DAL@SEA
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: whew...Seattle wins
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 11:32:13 PM »
playoffs is pressure - kc miss an easy FG as well.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:08:25 AM »
Well I didn't know it had some football (American) fans here too.  :devil: :devil: :devil: My game is today.. GO E_A_G_L_E_S well. the two teams I don't like already out. I am suprised that KS didn't bring more pressure to Indi. Thats the nature of the beast I guess.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »
I backing the two NY teams today, but I doh have too much attachment to any NFL teams.  Jets already overachieve to make the playoffs and the Giants are purely a hit or miss team.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 12:29:49 PM »
when i saw Dallas on the 2 yard line I said game done and I turned off the TV and returned to painting my house
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 12:32:19 PM »
DALLAS SUCKS...... Sorry had to let that out. I am so nervous about tonights game against the Giants... I can't even see the game good. Can any one find me a stream of the game.. EMAN HELP ME JAH GOL someone. I don't get US television here so I only can listen to the game on the internet.
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 09:29:01 PM »
I backing the two NY teams today, but I doh have too much attachment to any NFL teams.  Jets already overachieve to make the playoffs and the Giants are purely a hit or miss team.

hard luck boss. i was hoping the giants would pull out a win.

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 06:20:03 AM »
Yeah rabbit what ever. Pull a rabbit out a hat SURE. EAGLES I am so proud of my team.   Well do we have any N.Orleans fans here. This is another regular season revenve match. We lost to them in the regular season and now it's time for revenge when it really counts, in the playoffs.
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 06:27:44 PM »
Sorry WC dis is not really my kinda ting  ;D I could not really care less...you know it have ah saying you cyah teach old dog new tricks...I only in de people place 5 yrs now and never really watched ah game...when it comes to american football I am as dumb as ah blonde  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »
the only reason i now pay attention the Seahawks is beacause Warren Moon used to play football in Edmonton and he then played with Seattle.

"He is the only player ever to be enshrined by both the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Canadian Football Hall of Fame."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Moon
5 years?  you now reach man...you go see ;D

and i ent know nuttin bout hair colours. :devil:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 09:54:27 AM »
Yeah rabbit what ever. Pull a rabbit out a hat SURE. EAGLES I am so proud of my team.   Well do we have any N.Orleans fans here. This is another regular season revenve match. We lost to them in the regular season and now it's time for revenge when it really counts, in the playoffs.

the last time i followed the saints was in the days of pat swilling - when they had a killer defence. philly @ new orleans should be a good contest - two 10-6 teams. and new orleans isn't a good home team. good luck.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:27:33 AM »
I from a distance I support the Giants, but I hardly follow American football. I wonder how the Giants will make out now without Barber. Who you guys think will win the Bowl this year?

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »
Brandon will do a great job in place of Barber. Well with the Pro-Bowl  I support the NFC with the SuperBowl I with my Team all the way EAGLES.
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know