April 27, 2024, 10:19:19 AM

Author Topic: Would you....bench Rooney?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Would you....bench Rooney?
« on: January 07, 2007, 05:58:16 AM »
different coaches have different philosophies when dealing with out of form players. some think the players should be played through the rut while others believe benching them a bit might wake them up.

now from the last 15 games that manu has played rooney has scored 3 goals now that may not be very alarming but if u have looked at him play recently u would realize he just cannot get the ball in the back  of the net. his form or lack thereof isnt due to a shortage of supply. what would u do?( well 1st u have to believe that he is in a rut)

2006/07 Season Totals   Starts: 37  •  Sub: 2   goals: 9   assists: 6

now rooney may score double 2day but what would be your way with dealing with out of form star players
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 06:07:28 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Would you....bench Rooney?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:22:43 AM »
Rooney's contribution is beyond the goals he brings and his movement and qualities are different from the other forwards at ManU. Saha, Larrson and Ole have different qualities too, but they have fairly similar movement and occupy the same space. They are interchangeable. None of them would be a straight swap for Rooney imho. For better or worse, when he is on the field for either ManU or England, the other players get a boost and just as importantly, the fans get more behind the team (never underestimate the 12th man in the EPL). I would keep him in. ManU also has a  ridiculous goal supply line...Saha, Ole, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes and Rooney bussing the net well above any other team in the division (now Larsson score on his debut and probably could have had a hattrick today). Anyway, 49 goals in 22 league games is ridiculous. For that reason alone, I don't think ManU too worried about Rooney's strike rate. If the other aspects of Rooney's game start to fall off, plus the goals dry up from the other forwards and the midfield, then you might have to rest Rooney
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:24:19 AM by Filho »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:57:52 PM »
If I wanted to get punched in the face.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:24:04 AM »
If Rooney was not Englands darling he would have gotten more stick from the press. Especially his strike rate, per minutes played. To date he has only scored 8 times, while team mate Ole Gunnar for example has scored 6 times, with a lot less minutes.
However, though I agree with Filho he does have other qualities that contribute to the team. Recently even those qualities are being questioned. Against Newcastle (I believe) he only completed 7 out of 17 passes in the first half. Some so called experts feel he slows down United attack, because his first thought is to run with the ball.
Me I would not drop him! Why? Because United without him will put less fear in the opposition.
Rooney's problem, he believes what he reads in the press. And when a very young player is compared to some of the greatest of all time, it becomes dangerous if he does not have the right mentality.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Darkromeo

• New Warrior
  • Tru Tru warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:49:42 PM »
Short answer YES!.

Offline LICKS4SO

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile