April 29, 2024, 09:44:59 PM

Author Topic: Jabloteh helping football rivals.  (Read 9538 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jabloteh helping football rivals.
« on: January 07, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »
Jabloteh helping football rivals.
By: Peter O’Connor (Newsday).

I really hope that by the time you read this Jabloteh Football Club would have adjusted their position regarding selection of their players on the national team for the Digicel Caribbean Cup.
Here we are, about to kick off, as hosts, the Caribbean's premier football tournament, and we have a dispute brewing regarding the availability of our own players in our own country.
And the protagonist is a local club registered with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation.
Why do we always strive to shoot ourselves in the foot when opportunity beckons? I am not only thinking about football here — we still have (at the time of writing) the ongoing dispute within the Indoor Hockey World Cup Squad.
We are all aware of the incessant bickering in the West Indies Cricket camp (mercifully muted these days as we approach Cricket World Cup), and the intermittent eruptions in the football fraternity.
We quarrel over selection, coaches, remuneration, sponsorships and the ever-present Club vs Country issue.
The current football issue, which appears to be more Jabloteh vs their players than Jabloteh or their players vs the Federation, can only benefit the visiting teams, our opponents, for the Digicel Caribbean Cup.
Certainly Jabloteh have nothing to gain by needlessly upsetting their own players on the national squad. And the club claims their reason for preventing their players from representing the country is because the Digicel Caribbean Cup is not a FIFA recognised event which can command that players be released for national duty.
What a small-minded, colonial mindset! And how insulting to us as a country, and to the region as a sub-group of a major FIFA Confederation.
Is this the same Jabloteh which was clamouring last year for more locally-based players to represent the country? And if Jabloteh had players from Barbados or Guyana in their team, would they have banned (or tried to ban) them from playing in the Digicel Caribbean Cup?
If this issue is not settled to the satisfaction of all, how will Jabloteh, and the players involved, feel if the national coach decides that he will be choosing players for the CONCACAF Gold Cup from those who committed to the country in the Digicel Caribbean Cup?
He has every right to do this, and will we then hear the club protesting that their players are not being considered for the national team?
As a small, insecure country we have never been able to appreciate that we have the same rights in world football as England or Brazil.
In the 1990s when we first had our players in European clubs, the club coaches terrorised the players when the country called. They accepted that “big” countries had rights, but called our boys in and told them: Choose between club and country.
And of course, sections of our media supported the foreign clubs in this, advising us in their editorials, that our boys must bow to the club and turn their backs on their country.
The media, and the public, slowly began to change their tune when the national team began to show that World Cup qualification was a possibility.
We have finally learned that we can be strong, that our players will not be dropped if they choose to exercise their right to represent their country.
Which foreign coach will drop a TT (or any) player who scores two goals, say, in the CONCACAF Gold Cup?
Football clubs stand to benefit, financially and on the field, when their players represent their countries. The experience gained (especially for clubs in the lower divisions, including Jabloteh) in international competition is highly valuable to the clubs, and indeed to the players’ careers.
What do you think enhanced Carlos Edwards’ on the transfer market? His performances for Luton Town, or his performances at the World Cup Finals?
If, as I hope, the issue has been resolved as you read this, then I apologise for using Jabloteh as my “example” in this ever-present issue.
But the matter needs to be constantly in our minds, for club coaches do have a narrow view of the football world, and their view does not necessarily include any country, player, or player's future.
Their view is to win the next trophy.
However, to the rest of us, the issue is the building and success of the national team, and the success of a major tournament which has attracted a major regional sponsor for our football.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:00:25 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jabloteh helping football rivals
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:28:34 AM »
Damn right. I real vex bout dis! Wha de hell wrong wit fenwick??
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »
O'Connor is right on this one. The issue was framed well and I am more convinced that Jabloteh has done us a disservice

Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 11:37:08 AM »
I think we have to be more clear...it is Fenwick !!!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 11:39:08 AM »
\

ent people saying on the board fuh ah while dat fenwick want d wuk ..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:43:46 AM »

Correct Trinbago, as the boys in Jabloteh wanted to play real bad
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 02:39:57 PM »
Fenwick don't want we to get good, so that we will rest ah cut arse on England. He know they (England) can handle the other caribbean teams easily, but is we they afraid of. Jabloteh management should get rid of him for being un patriotic.

In the EPL they don't want to release ouir players, and at home also. Something is wrong with that.

Question, would the EPL release English players to play in a non FIFA date competition, if they were playing against foes like Sweden, Ireland and Scotland?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 03:00:12 PM »
What really disgust me about this article, is the source.

Peter O'Connor! The same ass who was president of the TTFA in the 80s, when practically the whole national side was banned from international duty. Why?

Because Arhtur Suite could market and run football better than them.

So Jack outlaw Suite's football league. A model on how to draw crowds.

And USELESS O'Connor - like his descendant Oliver Camps, hadda twiddle he balls while Jack tell him what to do.

And de FUC^%R talking about "Colonial mindset,"???

STEUUPPS

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 07:14:06 PM »
As much as I would love for the Jabloteh players to be available, this is one shite article. Clubs withhold all players from any games that are not FIFA approved. It ABSOLUTELY does not matter if you are Brazil or Togo. 

Brazil Under 23s failed to qualify for the last Olympics partly because Milan refused to release Kaka and Sevilla refused to release Julio Baptista. Santos refuse to release Diego and Robinho for the Under 20 WC. It is a fact that EPL managers (Alex Fergusson is reknowned for it) withhold English Internationals from friendlies by saying they are injured, yet they majestically recover to play a full 90 minutes 2 days later on the weekend. It's just a smart way to get withhold players without dealing with the media and Federation backlash. So don't get worked up about this 'they only do it to us' bullshit. Do the research and get the facts. Why you think Brazil planning to play Portugal at Arsenal's emirates stadium? Why you think Australia gave up on hosting friendlies at home. These days, if Brazil, or Argentina send a full strength team to the Copa America, everybody surprised. England had a summer tour of the US 2 summers ago and had to send a B-team as EPL coaches commanded their player not to go. Big and small getting lash long time from clubs. Lose the inferiority complex.

Having said that..Jabloteh move dread. But hopefully that just allowing more talent to get a chance..talent that might have slipped through the cracks.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 07:20:48 PM »
What really disgust me about this article, is the source.
Peter O'Connor! The same ass who was president of the TTFA in the 80s, when practically the whole national side was banned from international duty.
Why?
Because Arhtur Suite could market and run football better than them

So Jack outlaw Suite's football league. A model on how to draw crowds.
And USELESS O'Connor - like his descendant Oliver Camps, hadda twiddle he balls while Jack tell him what to do.
And de FUC^%R talking about "Colonial mindset,"???
STEUUPPS
VB
above is a GREAT example of the WONDERFUL History of Football in good ole TnT...very Sad..Thanks very much VB
all Austin had to do was have inter league play

and Filho, those are two very good points
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:27:31 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »
Everybody's input is valid. But saying that, now that these guys get their opportunity, they should be focus and be prepared to fight like warriors. Like I said before, we all have been clamouring for new youngblood. This is the ideal tournament to test them. If these guys can't even come second then things real bad for the PFL. But I don't think so. I think the guys have lots of pride and will be prepared. They will not get another opportunity like this again. We can jump on Jabloteh, but Jack move dread with the club tournament. Jabloteh want to prepare to win that tournament. Connection in Brazil, they want to win also.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: Jabloteh helping football rivals.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 09:14:05 AM »
I can't recall people being this upset when our beloved Stuart Charles witheld his T&T players, yet released his St Lucians. This whole situation was created by the administrators in the CFU. They could have coordinated their schedules. What is the situation as it relates to the other participants, does anyone know? I can't and won't blame Jabloteh>
Live large and prosper!

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »
Yaaawwwnnn, this will not go away.

Peter O Conner make a couple valid points, but thats his heart talking.

Fact of the matter is that Fenwick and Jabloteh dont owe the national team anything.

I siding with Fenwick on this one.

We need to send a message to the CFU administrators to do better than that.

At least we get 2 Jab players now....

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 10:10:25 AM »
As much as I would love for the Jabloteh players to be available, this is one shite article. Clubs withhold all players from any games that are not FIFA approved. It ABSOLUTELY does not matter if you are Brazil or Togo. 

Brazil Under 23s failed to qualify for the last Olympics partly because Milan refused to release Kaka and Sevilla refused to release Julio Baptista. Santos refuse to release Diego and Robinho for the Under 20 WC. It is a fact that EPL managers (Alex Fergusson is reknowned for it) withhold English Internationals from friendlies by saying they are injured, yet they majestically recover to play a full 90 minutes 2 days later on the weekend. It's just a smart way to get withhold players without dealing with the media and Federation backlash. So don't get worked up about this 'they only do it to us' bullshit. Do the research and get the facts. Why you think Brazil planning to play Portugal at Arsenal's emirates stadium? Why you think Australia gave up on hosting friendlies at home. These days, if Brazil, or Argentina send a full strength team to the Copa America, everybody surprised. England had a summer tour of the US 2 summers ago and had to send a B-team as EPL coaches commanded their player not to go. Big and small getting lash long time from clubs. Lose the inferiority complex.

Having said that..Jabloteh move dread. But hopefully that just allowing more talent to get a chance..talent that might have slipped through the cracks.

What about England Youth Teams (U-20 down!)......due to regular withdrawals by clubs they have never sent a full strength side to tournaments many times not even to qualification games which is one of the reasons they have qualified for so few. I remember the Nigeria U-20 WC the English clubs withdrew players enmass due to their concerns about the political climate in Nigeria yet all other countries were pretty much full strength. The only reson the U-21 side normally have good strength teams is the TV deal with Sky. At the end of the day, if a club could get away with sending a player on international duty they WILL excercise that right regardless of the players nationality. You have to have a bit of simpathy with Fenwick, Jabloteh obiviously want to do well in the competition, it is not his fault the qualifiers were postponed and his allegiance is with the people that pay his wages not T&T. He is only looking after Number 1.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 07:14:08 PM »
Yaaawwwnnn, this will not go away.

Peter O Conner make a couple valid points, but thats his heart talking.

Fact of the matter is that Fenwick and Jabloteh dont owe the national team anything.

I siding with Fenwick on this one.

We need to send a message to the CFU administrators to do better than that.

At least we get 2 Jab players now....

why dont they owe the National Team of Trinidad and Tobago anything...I'm curious as to the logic behind that thinking.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 05:16:25 AM »
Jabloteh = jabloteh

T&T = T&T

They may have players that play on both teams, but this is a business.

If the rule state that a club is not mandated to release a player for international duty if its NOT a FIFA approved date, then the club has all right to keep their players. It could be Man Utd or jabloteh, the rule is the same.

Jabloteh have their own agenda to do well in the CFU championships (business wise). By losing players to the T&T setup, this hinders their chances enormously (time loss for training/injury etc etc).

U hadda understand where the clubs coming from, they pay these players wages and provide their livliehood. Playing for T&T I agree might expose players to international couts for potential transfer $$, but that is a long shot these days...it ends up really just playing for heart and country.
I also agree that playing for your country is the proudest thing u can do, its also civic duty...But at the same time u also have to send a message to the administrators who organise these competitions.
Historically, the clubs have ALWAYS yielded to the TTFF, so much so, we got into automatically expecting them to release players whenever national teams in activity. If it were just local leage competition going on, the TTFF could suspend the local league ON THEIR DISCRETION, which they have always done in the interest of the country. Now its a regional competition, you cant do that, or go asking Jabloteh or W-Connection opponents not to prepare until the Digicel cup is finished.
These local clubs have a big part to play as well representing T&T in the CONCACAF club championships too.

It will always be a debate on club vs country... some of the world's best players have retired to concentrate on club careers, some clubs have even barred their world class star players from national duty for big name countries like Brazil, Argentina, etc etc...

To be honest, I even think the threat from the TTFF to ban the Jabloteh players if they didnt report for national duty is illegal. They may ban them from a federation point of view from playing for one of their member clubs, but I am sure the players could win a case that the TTFF has absolutely no right to ban them, SIMPLY BECAUSE THE DATES ARE NOT FIFA APPROVED.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 08:17:28 AM »
Jabloteh = jabloteh

T&T = T&T

No friend its not that simple to say Jabloteh and T&T are serparate, there is overlap and combined interest for both parties where the players are involved.
Its not like Man U saying, there is not benefit to us by you playing for your country, so we only have our best interest at heart, cause even in that case there is benefit to such an international club.

They may have players that play on both teams, but this is a business.

If the rule state that a club is not mandated to release a player for international duty if its NOT a FIFA approved date, then the club has all right to keep their players. It could be Man Utd or jabloteh, the rule is the same.

Nobody is saying that he does not have a right to withhold his players, but that does not mean its the best deceison.  Just because you are within your right to do something, does not make it the best course of action.

Jabloteh have their own agenda to do well in the CFU championships (business wise). By losing players to the T&T setup, this hinders their chances enormously (time loss for training/injury etc etc).

U hadda understand where the clubs coming from, they pay these players wages and provide their livliehood. Playing for T&T I agree might expose players to international couts for potential transfer $$, but that is a long shot these days...it ends up really just playing for heart and country.
I also agree that playing for your country is the proudest thing u can do, its also civic duty...But at the same time u also have to send a message to the administrators who organise these competitions.

This is my biggest problem with Fenwicks actions, the motivation behind it.  To send a message to administrators!!
So while he making a point, the players lose out on:
caps,
a chance to shine on the international stage,
exposure
a chance to train with the national team and the best of the best in the country

And while he taking his stand and making his point, Trinidad and Tobago lose out on the chance to:
field our strongest team in this tournament.
to advance to the Gold Cup.
caps for our players to keep up their quotas
having the best of the best in training together

Is all that we miss out on worth it for Fenwick to make his point?

Which do you think is better for the majority concerned, winning the CFU or winning the Digicel and Gold Cup?

Historically, the clubs have ALWAYS yielded to the TTFF, so much so, we got into automatically expecting them to release players whenever national teams in activity. If it were just local leage competition going on, the TTFF could suspend the local league ON THEIR DISCRETION, which they have always done in the interest of the country. Now its a regional competition, you cant do that, or go asking Jabloteh or W-Connection opponents not to prepare until the Digicel cup is finished.
These local clubs have a big part to play as well representing T&T in the CONCACAF club championships too.

It will always be a debate on club vs country... some of the world's best players have retired to concentrate on club careers, some clubs have even barred their world class star players from national duty for big name countries like Brazil, Argentina, etc etc...
To be honest, I even think the threat from the TTFF to ban the Jabloteh players if they didnt report for national duty is illegal. They may ban them from a federation point of view from playing for one of their member clubs, but I am sure the players could win a case that the TTFF has absolutely no right to ban them, SIMPLY BECAUSE THE DATES ARE NOT FIFA APPROVED.

Are you suggesting then that maybe Whitley and Cyd retire from International ball to concentrate on their Jabloteh careers?

stepray

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »
Please note that Stuart Charles Fevrier did not withhold T & T players from the National Team. Then coach Hannibal Najar wanted the W Connection players to come to train in the morning when they had an FA  Cup game that same afternoon. So tell me what you would have done if you were in Stuart's place. Also the Connection players attended every training session except that one. 
In the case of the St. Lucian players they had already left for St. Lucia in keeping with the five day rule stipulated by FIFa.
Please get your facts straight.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 10:39:21 AM »
Please note that Stuart Charles Fevrier did not withhold T & T players from the National Team. Then coach Hannibal Najar wanted the W Connection players to come to train in the morning when they had an FA  Cup game that same afternoon. So tell me what you would have done if you were in Stuart's place. Also the Connection players attended every training session except that one. 
In the case of the St. Lucian players they had already left for St. Lucia in keeping with the five day rule stipulated by FIFa.
Please get your facts straight.

Still does not answer the question, he let St Lucia players go but not T&T. Didn't T&T have an important game just as St Lucia though ? Now, I could be wrong, just asking.

stepray

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
Sando can't you understand, they attended every training session except that one because they had an FA game that very afternoon.
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also since the games were being held here all the clubs had access to their players, all was required that they attended the training sessions, they were not in CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOPE U WILL UNDERSTAND NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »
Sando can't you understand, they attended every training session except that one because they had an FA game that very afternoon.
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also since the games were being held here all the clubs had access to their players, all was required that they attended the training sessions, they were not in CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOPE U WILL UNDERSTAND NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand, so W Connection played the FA cup game without their St Lucian players, did they win by the way ?

stepray

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:03 AM »
Sando yes they won that match without the St. Lucian players, but did not win the FA Cup & St. Lucia defeated Trinidad at the Centre OF Excellence.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »
Sando yes they won that match without the St. Lucian players, but did not win the FA Cup & St. Lucia defeated Trinidad at the Centre OF Excellence.

Now everything is clear ? Stuart Charles did St Lucia good.... release St Lucia players to train with their team while T&T players had to stay with W Connection and train and play the FA cup game then go and play for T&T....

BRAVO -  :applause:

stepray

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »
Sando you are so transparent, I am sure everything is clear now, you are definitely anti W Connection & Stuart Charles & very Pro Joe Public & Jack Warner & Mc. Comie.
Then again I don't blame you, just being patriotic.
You win breds.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
My favourite T&T teams as follows....

1. Jabloteh because they fully local.
2. W Connection because they represent south and they are also very professional....
3. Starworld Strikers because they are from south....
5. Caledonia because they poor and try hard...
6. Utd Petrotrin, because they from south....

I do not like Joe Public because they have to many Jamaicans on they team.... and I hate giving RF the benefit of the doubt..

And thats my honest take on this....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:23:25 AM by Sando »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 11:26:28 AM »
Isn;t Connection from Cental?

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »
The from SAVONETTA, down by Petrotrin Compound...so i guess cental and south can claim them, but they not deep south.....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 07:06:29 AM »
I think John Williams should try and cultivate a following in Chaguanas, Couva, Caroni , etc. Try and get his base support from Central first. But He runs his organization welll. I am impressed the way he runs his team. Jab, J. Public and AIA are also well organized. When you see how disorganized things are in T&T, the proleague  outfits are not that bad. They need fan support, "bottom in the seats".  One thing I think Connection should try is to encourage young East Indian boys to try out with the youth teams. There may be  "diamonds in the rough". You can never tell until you try. All the team should make an attempt cultivate young talents from the entire community.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »
Because it happen to Brazil it go happen to we. I eh care who players eh get release to play for their national team Fenick is a clown. Kaka et al was already in the big leagues we tryin to get our players to play for some Division side in england and they need their international caps.

Man complaining about our ranking go fall well the players eh go get no contract when their ranking fall. Fenick is a clown the end.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>