April 19, 2024, 01:58:05 PM

Author Topic: Exclusive in-depth interview with Leonson Lewis  (Read 8310 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Exclusive in-depth interview with Leonson Lewis
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 08:40:02 AM »
Steve Shand played ball ?

Very good footballer, he played colleges league. He played midfield and was tidy with his passing, never seem to give the ball away. He also had good shooting ability from distance.
Nice player its a pity he did not push himself further.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 08:41:37 AM »
That interview brought back some good memories. I remember from our days in Pres, Leo taking real advantage of us... at the same time you hated/feared him, but you just could not help but admire the depth of his skill. Most people don't know that he started off as a gaolkeeper in school. Thank God he switched. The stories about their days in JA and Portugal were insightful.
 Steve Shand put on some serious weight, boy... I don't feel too bad now  ;D ...another good baller from back in the day.
Great interview, Tallest.

True!...First Pres game ah went to was Naps - Pres at Skinner Park in 84. We get 5  >:(  but I tell yuh, Lewis was class.

I never knew Lewis scored a bicycle goal against the USA in the Gold Cup.... who have that game allyuh ?
Ah believe dat was in de first edition of de Gold Cup in 1991.

Ah remember that game, T&T was wearing the white strike squad top and Lewis beat Meola on his near post from close range, quality strike!. We real match the US that game.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 09:13:58 AM »
Steve Shand played ball ?
Tallman can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he come to Pres while playing junior ball for T&T (I might be getting mixed up with Sherwood). But he was a decent player; not great, but decent.

Steve came from P'ville to Pres in form 3. Of course, he played for Pres senior team and had many battles with Leo and Naps. He also played for Tech with Latas, Faustin, Tony Clarke etc. As far as T&T goes, he was called up at the U-16 and U-19 levels as part of the player pool and played in warm-up matches, but never officially represented T&T at any level. Down South, he played for Bionic Bunch and ah tink Juniors (but I eh sure).

Very good footballer, he played colleges league. He played midfield and was tidy with his passing, never seem to give the ball away. He also had good shooting ability from distance.
Nice player its a pity he did not push himself further.
Was also good in dead ball situations.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 09:24:44 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 09:17:13 AM »
NICE :beermug:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »
That interview brought back some good memories. I remember from our days in Pres, Leo taking real advantage of us... at the same time you hated/feared him, but you just could not help but admire the depth of his skill. Most people don't know that he started off as a gaolkeeper in school. Thank God he switched. The stories about their days in JA and Portugal were insightful.
 Steve Shand put on some serious weight, boy... I don't feel too bad now  ;D ...another good baller from back in the day.
Great interview, Tallest.

True!...First Pres game ah went to was Naps - Pres at Skinner Park in 84. We get 5  >:(  but I tell yuh, Lewis was class.

I never knew Lewis scored a bicycle goal against the USA in the Gold Cup.... who have that game allyuh ?
Ah believe dat was in de first edition of de Gold Cup in 1991.

Ah remember that game, T&T was wearing the white strike squad top and Lewis beat Meola on his near post from close range, quality strike!. We real match the US that game.

I think I was at that game... Leo and his "one foot"... you knew the drag or spanner was coming, but nothing you could do about it.  :-[
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Yaw

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2007, 09:33:06 AM »
Excellent interview.  Leo has always been one of my favorites.  If only he could have been on the field in Germany with latas and yorke, that woulda be the ultimate.  And ah know he still fit enough.

Naparima rah rah rah !!!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 10:31:09 AM »
Nice going tallman, very informative, alyuh men go get a work with BBC soon, for interviewing.

Where I could get Strike Squad jersey and posters to buy, That store alyuh was in selling that stuff?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007, 10:36:13 AM »
Good interview.

I wonder to what does he attribute the drop in number of talented youngsters.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007, 10:55:29 AM »
I remember leo coming through to benedicts practice when he was on the strike squad the man does just fly one minute he here next minute he's  10 meters ahead blistering pace but cool as hell...he look like he still in good shape partnahs say he still have some toes

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2007, 11:08:36 AM »
That was a terrific interview.
Leonson is a wise, yet humble individual who will always remain one of my favourite players.
Imagine he said that we did not see the best of Latapy,
Lard have mercy!!!
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2007, 11:47:30 AM »
My favorite T&T player ever. When I was a youth, I used to try and walk like Leo. I wished I was left footed like Leo. I only have two players I ever really idolized, the way only a youth man could idolize a player..yuh know...wanting to put posters on your wall and read every article written about them..only two...Careca and Leo. At his peak....he was unplayable. I remember watching the Gold Cup when he scored the bicycle against the US. He also scored in the next game against CR (I think it was CR) and in that same game he saw th goalie of his line and hit a shot from near the half way line. It beat the keeper and hit the cross bar. I think Terry St. Louis smash in the rebound....magical. Great interview. Leo will always be the man

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2007, 12:11:54 PM »
WN: I’m glad you brought that up, because many players don’t respect that, and they don’t draw strength from the fact that they are representing their nation.

LEONSON: That is what I like. When people see me in the Stadium and they talk to me. The respect that I get from people when I walk in that Stadium. I know, and people know, [banging his fist] every game I have played for Trinidad & Tobago, I gave my all. Nobody can say that I wasn’t working hard, or I wasn’t running. I have never played a game for Trinidad & Tobago while I was less than 100% fit. I always tried to do my best. And that’s why I think that people have so much respect for me now, it’s because when they see me, they know what I represent. When I go into the Stadium, I feel so proud, because I know for every single game, for the 14 or 15 years that I played for Trinidad & Tobago, every game I gave my best and my all and that for me is pride in itself.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2007, 12:57:12 PM »
WN: I’m glad you brought that up, because many players don’t respect that, and they don’t draw strength from the fact that they are representing their nation.

LEONSON: That is what I like. When people see me in the Stadium and they talk to me. The respect that I get from people when I walk in that Stadium. I know, and people know, [banging his fist] every game I have played for Trinidad & Tobago, I gave my all. Nobody can say that I wasn’t working hard, or I wasn’t running. I have never played a game for Trinidad & Tobago while I was less than 100% fit. I always tried to do my best. And that’s why I think that people have so much respect for me now, it’s because when they see me, they know what I represent. When I go into the Stadium, I feel so proud, because I know for every single game, for the 14 or 15 years that I played for Trinidad & Tobago, every game I gave my best and my all and that for me is pride in itself.

thanks for pointing this out Trinibago  :beermug:

this should be read to every player that enters that pitch on Friday wedda dey startin or not...

Cuz this is the standard they hadda meet.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2007, 02:12:07 PM »
That bicycle was one of the best goals I ever saw.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 06:31:48 AM »
Where I could get Strike Squad jersey and posters to buy, That store alyuh was in selling that stuff?
Nah, Steve not selling any of those items. Dem ting is from back in de day.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2007, 06:38:04 AM »
I bought my Strike Squad and Soca Warriors kit from this site. http://www.subside.us.com/us/store/product_list.jsp?id=162
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:40:38 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
I bought my Strike Squad and Soca Warriors kit from this site. http://www.subside.us.com/us/store/product_list.jsp?id=162
West Coast, you is a BOSS. I looking for retro jerseys for a while now. Is the quality any good/authentic?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »
West Coast, you is a BOSS. I looking for retro jerseys for a while now. Is the quality any good/authentic?
The Soca Warriors jersey is made by Adidas and the Strike Squad jersey is made by ummm, I am not home so will post later. It is nearly as good quality as the Adidas.
all ya do is call 1-866-342-9286 and talk with Kevin, he will fix ya up.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:06:49 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 04:33:29 AM »
I had to bump this. This was a good interview.

Several parts made me laugh.

1]; } ?>