April 23, 2024, 05:19:56 AM

Author Topic: My thoughts on the game vs Colombia.  (Read 10224 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
My thoughts on the game vs Colombia.
« on: July 12, 2005, 06:36:27 PM »
Better news as Birchall & Avery now clear to face US.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

The Management Staff of the Trinidad and Tobago Senior Team got some news to feel a bit better about the day following the disappointing exit from the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup after it was learnt that players Chris Birchall and Avery John would be available for the next 2006 World Cup qualifier against United States despite receiving double cautions in the Gold Cup.
It was earlier thought that both players would have to sit the game out as a rule in the Gold Cup stated that if a player had not serve a suspension in the current tournament, then it would run over into the World Cup matches which would mean that the two players, having received two yellow cards and not having to play another Gold Cup match would then miss the USA clash. However, Ted Howard, Deputy General Secretary of CONCACAF informed the T&T camp late on Wednesday that the rule only applies to players who received a red card and were unable to serve the suspension in the Gold Cup. So now both Birchall and John are available to face the Americans in Connecticut on August 17.
While Panamanian and Colombian players were both walking head high in Inter-Continental Hotel on Thursday with their passages booked to the “quarters”, some T&T overseas-based players made their exits out of Miami while the contingent scheduled to return to T&T on the same day were kept back at the Hotel due to cancellation of flights caused by Tropical Storm Emily. Head coach Leo Beenhakker and the rest of the local contingent are now scheduled to leave Miami on Thursday morning for a three-hour flight to home. Both Kelvin Jack and Chris Birchall headed back for London after learning via television that they had come out front in Fox Sports World’s “Play of the Day” and “Goal of the Week” ratings respectively.
On Tuesday night, Beenhakker didn’t shy away from T&T’s disappointing end to the Cup, making it clear that the focus would be on getting the “Warriors” sharpened for the Americans.
The players were very well aware that the criticism would come their way again after it took a turn for the better following their encouraging performances in the past two qualifiers against Panama and Mexico. But now it could all be back to square one regarding the views of the fans. Nigel "Tallman" Myers of the US-based Socawarriors.net crew which formed much of the T&T fan base at the matches, sent a letter to the team camp saying the fans were not just disappointed with the performance on Tuesday, but felt badly that the players did not acknowledge their presence in the stands after the loss. He said though that they were still hopeful of a rise in performance and would continue to support the team.
“We made a mess of ourselves and I know all the guys agree it was like watching an amateur team play even though we know we are all professionals and capable of putting in a professional performance,” captain Stern John admitted to TTFF Media.
”We never earned the right to play in the quarter finals with such a performance as we had today. I’m speaking for myself and the rest of the guys. It’s the third Gold Cup I have been to and then have to go home after the first round. It’s a worse feeling when you see that the other teams aren’t better than us. It really was a case where we beat ourselves. This can only be a positive for us because we played two good games against Panama and Mexico and then the expectations went high up. This Gold Cup performance has brought us back down to earth and make us realize that we have to be more consistent and work harder in all departments of the game.”
Beenhakker added “It’s down to us and how much we really want to achieve this goal of getting to the World Cup. Now it’s just down to the World Cup and the next job is preparing for the match against the USA in a month’s time. We would have had a chance to see our wrong doings in the Gold Cup and we realize that. We will work on it and move on. We must be able to get it right as a team again and not just do relatively good but good enough to get results.”

Click for more photos by Shaun Fuentes.
News from the 13th of July 2005.
Warriors take another early Gold Cup exit.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior team, for the second consecutive Gold Cup, crashed out in the first round when needing a draw to go through to the next stage, by giving a lackadaisical display and conceding two second half goals to lose 2-0 to Colombia. The result knocked the “Warriors” out of the tournament as it meant they finished fourth in Group A.
Head coach Leo Beenhakker held his hands up after the match, saying it was clear that his team was badly out of sorts in the match. But all is not lost as the team still holds a decent chance of sneaking a spot in Germany and that journey continues on August 17 away to the United States.
“Colombia played well and they deserved the win,” Beenhakker conceded. “They also played well in the past two games but they didn’t get the luck. I think you could easily have seen that our team just couldn’t get prepared enough for this game which was 48 hours after the last game and it showed out there today. We didn’t have a lot of possession, we didn’t have much in offense and the truth is that our goalkeeper for the first seventy minutes saved the day for us,” Beenhakker told TTFF Media.
“Most of the time we never start too strong and today it was like that again. Colombia were strong from the first period of the match. Up to now I have not been able to change that. We played a little bit better in the second half but that doesn’t mean that we played well. Colombia played well and the deserved the win,"
Asked whether the conditions did not favour his team, Beenhakker said that should not be an excuse.
“I can’t change the heat and I can’t change the pressure. We have to be prepared to play these kind of matches. Once again, I am very pleased that everybody is going back to their clubs now especially the guys that play in Europe. They will start their preparation and start playing in their normal leagues so that for the next game we should not have any problems about players not being fully ready. At least we have half of August and then it’s off to the U.S. for our next qualifying game.”
When questioned on how he will now get this team focused and ready for the next qualifier having seen what some players could offer in the Gold Cup which can now only be seen as three warm-up games, Beenhakker said a lot will tell inside the last week before the game.
“You know how it is. Everybody is going back to their clubs now and I have to get them back five days before the USA game. That’s all there is to it. Hopefully everyone will be in good shape and then we regroup to get ready. We already said this week that our power up front is with three players, Stern John, Dwight Yorke and Carlos Edwards. Two of them were not able to play in this tournament. Hopefully they will be with us next month and the only thing I can do now is to look at the few local players before the last week before the game, ” Beenhakker added.
Probably the only positive note coming out of the last game was that Marvin Andrews received just a knock to his left ankle and not his knee as alarm bells were at first ringing especially after he went down a second time and had to be replaced by Atiba Charles in the second half. The ankle blow is not serious. When Andrews went down though, the Colombians continued to play around the penalty box, the Mexican referee Marco Rodriguez never blew his whistle until the play led to a foul atop the box which resulted in Colombia’s first goal.
On another note though, a rule in the Gold Cup showed that players who received two yellow cards in separate matches and did not serve the suspension in the same tournament, would have to do so in any other competition to follow which means that midfielder Chris Birchall and Avery John are both out of the next World Cup qualifier against United States. However, if a player picked up one yellow in the Gold Cup and already had a previous one from the World Cup qualifiers, he would have been allowed to play the next Gold Cup game as earlier cards were wiped out for the tournament. But those who had only one card before the Gold Cup and did not receive any during the tournament, still go back into the qualifiers with one caution to their name.
Up-Close With Flex:

You can teach a player to be smart, but you cant teach him to play. I didn't expect us to win the Gold Cup, but I expected a little better showing and more grit from the players, to go down fighting and at least go through to the next round.

When I saw the starting line-up I taught we were going all out for the win, unfortunately I taught wrong. In the first 45 minutes we had one shot on goal, actually a header off a cross from Glen. Leo was quick to notice that he made a possible mistake with his line-up and made 2 changes at the start of the second half.

If we had made it through to the next round it would have done us some good, but say what, this elimination might do us better, we must go home and start work immediately. Our players lack fitness badly and concentration. A lot of miscommunication and man marking problems took place. If we keep chasing the ball then we are digging ourselves into a deep hole.

What I am also concerned about was the fact that we had to win this game and our coach decided to experiment with his line-up. We hired two big time coaches Rene Simoes and now Leo Beenhakker and still not much improvement as our team is still very inconsistent in their mental approach. This will be the second time in a row we fail to get out of the first round of Gold Cup qualification, in all fairness to the coach, maybe our players just aren't good enough. I don't expect overnight success and miracles, but at least a better showing, lets hope we save the best for the World Cup games. And a small note, yes, Leo Beenhakker is making a better difference, I believe he just needs more time and better preparations.

In a nut shell:

Kelvin Jack: Looked good and saved us many times. I still don't think he should be our number one, but lets see if he will improve. Ince should be called back also. But really and truely, Jack did great today, having a good keeper on the bench or for our number one to compete with will only make the starting goalkeeper perform better, this is why I mentioned Ince or Shaka for a matter of fact.

Avery John: Tried his best, got a little aggressive coming to the end because of frustration and lack of support, made some nice long pass.

Marvin Andrews: Played great and looked as if he was playing the last 10 minutes with a slight injury before he was subbed. A good captain.

Dennis Lawrence: As always heart and soul. A good captain.

Cyd Gray: Made three terrible mistakes had it been for Colombia's poor finishing, they would have been up 3-0 in the first half. Definitely not a defender, however he did look ok when making forward runs.

Collin Samuel: Didn't do much on the right wing but when he was switched to the left wing, he did look better.

Silvio Spann: Have a deaf touch, he is a must for this team, his only problem seems his fitness level. But again, his one touch is class. Didn't have as good game as the last one against Panama but then again, who did.

Christopher Birchall: Good when he's up to it, but bad when he's not, very in-consistent. Still prefer have him over many because of his work rate, but work must be done, I love how he like's to take shots on goal, but it seems there's some static between the players because Birchall wasn't getting much balls pass to him, I could be wrong or maybe he just wasn't finding the space to get the ball, it seemed the heat was also a factor in his case ?

Cornell Glen: He should just stick to being a striker and a super sub, he didn't do good on the left wing.

Jason Scotland: Again, good lay off of the ball, dont know if he's playing under Leo's instructions, but an average player indeed.

Stern John: Fell down once in the first half, but represented his name "Stern Fall" in the second half, poor game, could have scored 2 goals for the least. His style of play makes it hard for him to play the lone striker role. He did look better than the previous 2 games though, but then again, he didn't get much service.

Subs:

Angus Eve: Came on and didn't to anything special.

Brent Rahim: Came on and played good for the first few minutes, but faded a bit and it got worst when he scored the own goal, Jones should have replaced him. But to blame him for the lost, we cant, we lost as a team, keep ya head up Brent.

On the positive note, Dwight Yorke and Carlos Edwards will make a difference, I hope Atiba Charles is not in the dog house because he's wasn't used and isn't injured until Big Marv got injured then they had no choice but to play him. Brent Sancho may also help once fit. Then there's Clayton Ince and maybe Anton Pierre. Germany awaits us... have faith fellas, this was a good lesson, lets just hope we learn from it.

Final Score:
T&T 0 vs Colombia 2.

Colombia Goal Scorers:
Brent Rahim 76th, Hector Hugo Hurtado 79th.

Team Line-Ups:

TRI:

21-Kelvin Jack, 24-Cyd Gray, 3-Avery John, 4-Marvin Andrews (2-Atiba Charles 75th), 6-Dennis Lawrence, 7-Christopher Birchall, 10-Jason Scotland (12-Brent Rahim 46th), 9-Silvio Spann, 20-Collin Samuel, 13-Cornell Glen (8-Angus Eve 46th), 14-Stern John (capt).

Booked:
Christopher Birchall 48th, Kelvin Jack 57th, Avery John 87th.

COL:
1-Farid Mondragon (capt), 3-Jose Julian De la Cuesta, 4-Humberto Mendoza, 8-Aldo Leo Ramirez, 13-Yulian Anchico, 15-Jaime Castrillon, 17-Jario Patino (16-Hector Hugo Hurtado 67th), 18-Martin Arzuaga (6-Juan Carlos Ramirez 78th), 19-Juan Fernando Leal (9-Wason Liberado Renteria 52nd), 21-Abel Aguilar, 23-Oscar Enrique Passo.

Booked:
Farid Mondragon 48th.

Total Shots/Headers:
Christopher Birhall (2), Collin Samuel (1), Stern John (3), Avery John (1), Total = 7.

Free Kicks:
18 (TRI),  10 (COL).

Corners:
1 (TRI), 10 (COL).

Colombia Shot/Headers:

Off-Side:
1 (TRI), 3 (COL).

Other Results:
USA 0 v CRC 0.
CAN 2 (Ali Gerba, Atiba Hutchinson), v Cuba 1 (Alain Cervantes).
HON 1 (Jorge Samuel Caballeros) v PAN 0.

A message from Tallman.

We can accept losing. We don't like it, but it's part of life, you win some you lose some. What we cannot (and refuse to) accept is lack of commitment, purpose, energy and effort. We fans, many of whom travelled from different states and islands, came to support you (the team) and our country in our quest for success. Rightly or wrongly, we had heightened expectations due to the improvements that we saw in the last couple of games. What we didn't expect was a team that appeared to be disinterested in playing the game. We didn't expect a team that did not show the will to win. We didn't expect a team that took to its task in a nonchalant manner. We didn't expect a team who went out with a whimper. Three games were played and the performances grew progressively worse. At the end of the day, it does not matter who is present on the pitch, but it does matter that the people out there perform to the best of their ability. Overall, the team did not do that. You talked the talk, but you did not walk the talk, and this leaves us disappointed. We are named the "Warriors", but you did not display a warrior spirit. If you gave it your all and lost, at least we could say we put up a fight, but sadly, the body language that was on show (for all games) was not a testament to that. Lastly, we fans thought that it was disrepectful that you did not acknowledge us after the Colombia game. You simply bowed your heads and walked into the tunnel. We can understand your shame, but we beat drums, we knocked iron, we blew whistles, we blew horns and we shouted slogans enthusiastically for 90 minutes. You did not reciprocate on the pitch. We think we deserve better. We hope that you will regroup and recharge your batteries for the upcoming battles.

Onward Warriors !!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 06:47:20 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
Re: My small thoughts of the game vs Colombia.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 02:17:49 AM »
I think its about time we take a look at Errol McFarlane, Rickey Shakes and hope Dwarika gets hit fitness together. Because Latapy is not coming.

What happened to the team today ? they looked un-willing.

I agree, Spann is class.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 03:08:14 AM »
flex...yuh real unfair to jack...if ince or shaka had his tournament yuh would say world class....thats bias...jack was brilliant.....he in the next WCQ....allyuh rating spann to high....his passing was awful
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 04:05:30 AM »
Big Magician, read my report again.... I did mention Jack did good and what I was trying to say about bringing back Ince was, having a good keeper on the bench or for our number one to compete with will only make the starting goalkeeper perform better. We should have a solid 22 fighting for a place on the team, not a team missing one or two players and looked totally different. I'll add this to the report.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 05:27:37 AM »
I too saw the game and I believe Flex is on spot with his report. Nothing bias about it.... Jack saved the day yes, but the team played in spots and they look out of shape, imagine the heat was killing us, a team who has 99% T&T born players, born and bread in the hot sun.

Stats dont lie. 20 shots to 7.... look at the corners...

Good luck TnT....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 05:33:36 AM by Flex »

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 05:57:08 AM »
Another thing is, FIFA and their stupid rules, who the hell invent this.

Getting a card in the Gold Cup should not affect the World Cup, this is two different tournament, now we lost 2 important players.

Good report Flex and Shaun.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 06:04:17 AM »
ABout the strategy, i am sure beenie will get it right.
I remember Jamaica knocking the ball around the back for long periods of time during their WC 98 campaign.
I think we are trying to do something quite smilar but we seem to be losing patience a little too quickly. Whereas Jamaica would keep playing the ball around the back (with Whitmore just in front of that line) until they found an opening or the opposition got frustrated (remember the Brazil game?) we seem to play it around, to the midfield, and back to the defense. We tend to lose it here, with a defender choosing to pump the ball forward.
I honestly noticed this....EVERYTIME we launched the ball forward, we gave possion straight to the opposition. We need to be more patient.
I also noticed that our best opportunity came on a counter resulting in Stern "capping" a defender in the box and nearly scoring and redeeming himself. Many good teams play defensively and attack mainly on the counter, Italy is one such team that immediately springs to mind.
If we want to implement this tactic, our defense needs to get tighter, even tighter than it was during that steely performance against Mexico. I think Beenie recognizes this and is trying to get this right.

Let us not forget that Beenie is still auditioning players, so some of the bad results may be attributed to experimentation. I definitely would rather lose the gold cup and qualify for the world cup.
Remember us beating Jamaica in the Shell cup yet losing to them in the WCQ?
This should be our approach.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 06:46:16 AM »
After seeing yesterday's game, I feel we best 20 should be.

Shaka Hislop, Kelvin Jack, Atiba Charles, Dennis Lawrence, Brent Sancho, Marvin Andrews, Avery John, Anton Pierre, Carlos Edwards, Christopher Birchall, Silvio Spann, Kenwyne Jones, Collin Samuel, Densill Theobald, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Dwight Yorke, Cornell Glen, Hector Sam, Stern John, Errol McFarlane.

Brent Rahim could take Densill Theobald's spot. But Rahim always making mistakes in defence, same thing happen last Gold Cup vs Martinique.

Ah sorry, I cant see Aurtis Whitley on this final 20, the few times I saw him he didn't impress me, maybe he is playing out of position, but still, he didn't do much, lets hope he prove me wrong. I never saw Glenton Wolfe play so I cant add him, but if he any good as Leo thinks, then he could take Tiger's place, I really didn't want to add Stern John to de team, but I guess we pool not that big and maybe one day, just maybe one day he might do better, he NOT starting though,,,,, I also feel Arnold Dwarika, Josh Johnson, Anthony Rougier and Angus Eve can help out,,, but they need to stay fit especially Dwarika and Rougier, Dwarika doing nothing home when he should be playing PFL ball to keep he self fit.

Lets see if Beenhakker will take a look at Noray, Errol Charles, Johnson, Mulraine, Ian Gray, Shakes, Boucaud and Baptiste once he reach back home. Mulraine can help, he is a ball winner, de TTFF needs to make peace with him. Ian Gray fast and deadly on de left.

We have one month left for the USA game.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 06:54:15 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 06:53:54 AM »
Anyone knows how old Dwarika is, he's a flair player and always a few tricks in the bag but his work rate and defensive ability is not so good. He can change a match though but I'm feeling like we the West Indies just recycling the same players we've tried before who only show potential but never live up to it.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 07:14:16 AM »
Hey Sam, to be honest, Jlloyd Samuel, Bobby Zamora and Russell Latapy would complimented this team lovely. I wish they would accept.

3 type of players we are lacking badly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 07:15:06 AM by Flex »

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 07:24:58 AM »
Hey Sam, to be honest, Jlloyd Samuel, Bobby Zamora and Russell Latapy would complimented this team lovely. I wish they would accept.

3 type of players we are lacking badly.

Before I was apprehensive about calling Zamora & Jloyd (Latapy isn't coming back), apprehensive about men joining the team only when they realise T&T has a descent shot at the WC but after seeing the lack of depth we have, Jack and Leo should try to use all their influence they have to try to convince them to play. Its one thing to be committed and playing badly but to be playing uncommitted and doing shit also is another thing.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 07:28:34 AM »
We have shakes, norville and Boucaud to try out.

Boucaud is useful...why we discard him just so, he better than Some on this side.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 07:34:07 AM »
Them men (Samuel, Zamora & Latapy) not commited, even though we lacking in them areas, it makes no sense, I prefer have a shit hong who will work his ass off on the team than a un-commited selfish bastard.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 08:25:50 AM »
Them men (Samuel, Zamora & Latapy) not commited, even though we lacking in them areas, it makes no sense, I prefer have a shit hong who will work his ass off on the team than a un-commited selfish bastard.

I agree with you to some degree, those fellahs (except Latapy) think they're toooo good for T&T and have no ambitions to represent us. However I too would rather have a shit hound who working his ass off but the shit hounds we have not even doing that, they're not working their asses off.

Offline Redditch Valiant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 10:19:56 AM »
You're right, they probably DO think they're too good for TnT. Maybe someone should tell them that with all the competition ahead of them in England, there's NO WAY they'll even get to play in a friendly! Still, it's their loss, not yours.
Proud to be an honorary "Trinbagonian"
GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 03:52:17 PM »
Ah sorry, I cant see Aurtis Whitley on this final 20, the few times I saw him he didn't impress me, maybe he is playing out of position, but still, he didn't do much, lets hope he prove me wrong. I never saw Glenton Wolfe play so I cant add him, but if he any good as Leo thinks, then he could take Tiger's place, I really didn't want to add Stern John to de team, but I guess we pool not that big and maybe one day, just maybe one day he might do better, he NOT starting though,,,,, I also feel Arnold Dwarika, Josh Johnson, Anthony Rougier and Angus Eve can help out,,, but they need to stay fit especially Dwarika and Rougier, Dwarika doing nothing home when he should be playing PFL ball to keep he self fit.

Sam ah disagree with yuh on Whitley here... In fact ah disagree with almost everybody.... maybe is I wrong but...

I think ppl underestimate the role whitley was playing... as the stay home midfielder he hold down tha middle when birchall drove forward, tackled hard (see his yellow cards against mexico and honduras), and provided an outlet for de defence at all times... Spann get more big up because he was participating/leading all the attacks when birchall was largely invisble in tha panama game...
I think whitley can be an X factor for this team... and I beleive that his efforts have largely gone unoticed in the Mexico and Honduras games... kinda like de role Makelele plays... watercarrier....
(Note Well: I am in no way suggesting that Whitley is as good as Makelele)

Plz discuss

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 04:54:30 PM »

I agree with you however the shithong and dem  not even working their ass off. The work rate is piss poor which i think is the difference maker. None of these teams have better players, not Jamaica, Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, Guatemala. They just play with more passion.

I hope we find it soon or we in trouble.
TnT Patriot

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on the game vs Colombia.
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 06:29:52 PM »
As I said FF, Whitley might be playing in a wrong position. But de fact is, these players are professional players and they should perform better even if they are playing out of position, I talking about these men playing real bad, especially men like Theobald when he out of position, atleast Whitle position (DM) kinda hard to play, but come on, contribute something, dont just fade out and do nothing.

I hope he prove me wrong, because I saw him for Jabloteh a few times and he did look good, he was doing everything, from defending to attacking, I am a big fan of his, but them men need to do better when given the chance.

Look at teams like Cuba, Haiti, Guatemala and now Jamaica, no big superstars or big name players, a bunch of mostly locally base players and look how good they does do against T&T, is one for all and all for one, even if they playing out of position, they doing good against us, beating we like crazy lately. Football real simple bro, we just have to learn how to use the ball and not let the ball use us. Yuh heart must be willing 100%.

We players need to play with pure heart, only Andrews, Lawrence and Birchall does show true heart and soul, they does go all out in every game, they dont care if they look stupid, they fighting it, once we get de whole team to think on that level consistently we will do much better.

Lack of preparations kills us to, we players always un-fit, de sun bunning we more that USA and we born in de sun.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 06:36:10 PM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 02:31:10 AM »
Guatemala 1 [Gonzalo Antonio Romero] v South Africa 1 [Bongani Nkosi].
http://www.us.terra.com/goldcup2005/us/interna/0,,OI590973-EI4900,00.html

Mexico 1 [Alberto Medina] v Jamaica 0.
http://www.us.terra.com/goldcup2005/us/interna/0,,OI591029-EI4900,00.html

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 04:49:38 AM »

It appears that u getting your wish cause cyd gray is de shit hound who working his arse off  ;D!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 06:44:33 AM »
Well put it this way, who yuh preffer to have on de team, Cyd Gray or un-committed Jlloyd Samuel.

Cyd Gray still better than many players we have, he just cant play right back, but I feel he will do ok on de wing, because against Colombia he look decent running forward.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 11:40:03 AM »
I too saw the game and I believe Flex is on spot with his report. Nothing bias about it.... Jack saved the day yes, but the team played in spots and they look out of shape, imagine the heat was killing us, a team who has 99% T&T born players, born and bread in the hot sun.

Good luck TnT....

Sando this point is irrelevant. It doesn't matter where they were born and bred but rather what climate they are PRESENTLY acclimatised to.

I laugh when the N. Americans try to put us in 15 degree celc. environ. thinking it will negatively affect us.

the majority of our team play in europe and are accustomed to cool temps. they can't just jump back into hot weather and readjust like that.

I remember after my first four months in Canada and catching my ass in the MALL, and that is an AIR CONDITIONED environment.

Thos who live abroad and experience winters should know what I'm talking about.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 12:10:34 PM »

Good luck TnT....

Sando this point is irrelevant. It doesn't matter where they were born and bred but rather what climate they are PRESENTLY acclimatised to.

I laugh when the N. Americans try to put us in 15 degree celc. environ. thinking it will negatively affect us.

the majority of our team play in europe and are accustomed to cool temps. they can't just jump back into hot weather and readjust like that.

I remember after my first four months in Canada and catching my ass in the MALL, and that is an AIR CONDITIONED environment.

Thos who live abroad and experience winters should know what I'm talking about.

Peace,
VB

Thats a good point, because when i come back home for carnival...LAWDHAVEHISMERCY I does feel like the sun follwoing me around alone.
But them fellas better all come back match fit in Aug they are all frigging pro athletes dammit!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 12:49:51 PM »
Allyuh men dont get it bra...

Check this, we went Florida one week before the game to prepare for this. USA and other teams does fly down de same week, 2 days before and still play and look more fit than we,,,, de weather dont even bother them as much,,,, they was BUN on ash wednesday and we look BUNNER and all them US players does play in foreign leagues and de USA, ALL COLD countries.

When Trinis living in foreign go back home, it dont take them long to get back acustom to they climate. I does feel hot when I go home, but after 3/4 days I good to go... so Sando have a point.

Come on fellas, allyuh making excuses.

If we had prepare better we would have done better, we should have played 2 club teams while in Florida before de gold cup instead of liming in Mangos.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 12:53:40 PM by Flex »

Offline Sando1515

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 03:18:22 PM »
Flex I am in agreement with your assessment with the team and play on the field, for the most part.  I have some comments of my own. First, I was very impress with the progress and approach used by the new coach having beleived that Trinidad football for the most part lacks discipline and organization. However, the last three games have leave me seriously confused on the coaching philosophy and direction of the team we seem to be going backwards instead of forward. In this last series there were some glaring short comings with both the team approach and player selection. The obvious fitness level was ever so clear and I am not satisfied with the coach excuse of players being out of the field of play. The home base players were always available and there were even the option for some of the foreign players to remain and continue with the development program after the last WC game. The team was released at the high of it's progress for over 3 weeks?
   Football like any other sport requires a high degree of discipline, commitment and structure and particularly Trinidad's football. Sending the players off for such a long time does not help in facilitating these attributes.   We need to continue with the clinical approach of camps for the duration until the end of the WC campaign. As well, the last two WC introduced something long missing from T&T football and crucial for any serious team "a starting line-up". The team chemistry and confidence relies heavily on establishing a core of players and seeking out additional help to bolster areas of weakness and overall team improvement.     
     The games with Panama and Mexico in the WC qualifiers were very encouraging in this regard. The performance of TT in Mexico was particularly encouraging and were it not for fitness and concentration could of yeild different results. "This again point to the need for continuity with the weekly camps".   I was particularly impressed with the progress made in the area of defense. The back four performance were good and they provided  good support for the midfield. I was extremely disappointed to see the replacing of Atiba Charles with Cyd Gray who I find to be mediocre at best. Almost every breakdown on the defensive end in the Goal Cup began with Cyd Gray. He was even directly responsible for several of the goals.  The midfield was also left in disarray by this defensive weakness which force some players to work harder to compensate. The introduction of Spann in the midfield added some energy on the field but his role conflicted with Bischall and render him in effective for the last two games. The dropping of Aurtis Whitley and Densil Theobald affected the fluency of the team and disrupted the progress made in organization in the field of play. I am not saying that these players are perfect but there were a chemistry developing in the team. I have read several comments on this forum on Aurtis Whitley and beg to differ. I think him to be one of the bright spots of the rejuvenated team. He shows potential on the ball, off the ball and work rate. It must be noted that in the game with Mexico the first goal score soon after the removal of Whitley and the second after the removal of Bischall. Spann makes a good addition to the midfield but the roles must be more clearly defined or executed on the field. Collin Samuels showed some energy but holds on to the ball too long and runs aimlessly at times leaving too much pressure on the defensive back Avery John.
The forwards were the weakest link of the entire team indeed only 1 of the 3 goals scored was scored by a forward and a not a starting forward. Jason Scotland did not give us a credible performance and Stern John is grossly out of sync. We need to use the young guys not only for their obvious fitness and energy but also who will run at and challenged the opposing team. Our forwards are playing too much with their backs to the goal and are becoming increasingly disconnected with the midfield. I too will like to see Macfarlane reintroduce to the team. I am also in favor of the return of Clayton Ince. Kelvin Jack shows tremendous effort but I find him lacking technically in areas on coverage especially the crosses and he makes very little attempts to hold the ball. This gives the attackers to many rebound opportunities. He also does not control the pace of the game as a keeper should.

All said I amtruly hoping that the team will redeem themselves from the last showing and give the fans something to place their hope on in the upcoming WC games.

Trini All The Way
Germany 2006
I Hope, I can Dream, can I?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 03:20:25 PM »
wayyyyyy.... look at post!!! I go hadda wait til ah reach home to read this one..... jeezan... Sando1515 you hadda be Cokesman come back from exile.... the only man who could give alberta competition.... lol

EDIT:

I agree with everything this man say especially about Whitley.. I have virtually been the only man defending him... I think he has quietly been the engine room for the team.. Sando1515 thanks for pointing out that mexico scored when he was removed... note how the performance got worse and worse after the honduras game (not that the game was great) when whitley didnt play... he is not playin the same role ppl accustomed to seeing in PFL so they think he playing shit... but he is still playin that deep link role very well in my eyes... a thankless role it is as we are seeing with all the criticism against him.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 03:32:20 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »
Sam ah disagree with yuh on Whitley here... In fact ah disagree with almost everybody.... maybe is I wrong but...

I think ppl underestimate the role whitley was playing... as the stay home midfielder he hold down tha middle when birchall drove forward, tackled hard (see his yellow cards against mexico and honduras), and provided an outlet for de defence at all times... Spann get more big up because he was participating/leading all the attacks when birchall was largely invisble in tha panama game...
I think whitley can be an X factor for this team... and I beleive that his efforts have largely gone unoticed in the Mexico and Honduras games... kinda like de role Makelele plays... watercarrier....
(Note Well: I am in no way suggesting that Whitley is as good as Makelele)

Plz discuss

I agree with this... I think Whitley was given a role that he was unaccustomed to playing and he performed commendably. We definitely need him on the side.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2005, 06:57:42 AM »
Fellas and suppose Chris Birchall and Kelivn Jack win goal of the tournament and save of the tournament. They might even make de final concacaf 18, maybe not the final 11 but the final 18 for sure if this happens. So some positives. ?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 07:03:41 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>