March 28, 2024, 10:10:35 AM

Author Topic: Lincoln ‘Tiger’ Phillips Thread  (Read 13895 times)

Offline Benjie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Tiger’ Phillips concerned about Warriors defending
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 02:04:40 PM »
But Benjie, seeing as how we have ah problem with defending wouldn't have been better to keep these players around and mix them with the younger players so that they could learn ah thing or two, instead of just leaving them out in the cold.....

.....and I don't know about you but I somehow feel if the players had not stood up to de TTFF and not been blacklisted, they would have been in the mix from after the WC up to the current day and we would not be having this discussion today......

until the younger players show that they have what it takes to hold down de back...give me my older, more experienced players any day....

True but only Lawrence playing football! and we suffering from the fact that we never had a proper program in in place. Continuing with a player who will retire after the next tournament or before makes no sense and will be the same thing as Beenie did to us. Further these players are being influenced by some of our best players ever in the form of their coaches Brian Williams, Kerry Jamerson et al. Adding a Lawrence won't add much more. Oh and Gray was called up to the Digicel Cup team but declined due to contract negotiations so thats one less. You have to know when to let players go. I doh agree I believe that you develop players especially when you have no high level to speak of. If our best players are still closer to 40 we should just give up and stop playing football again.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »
I agree with you Benjie.  it doh make no sense to make solid plans involving men who not sweatin regularly with a club.  I believe even a slightly less skilled player with regular match practice would be a better choice that men who ridin' pine right tru and only come to get match fitness for we intl games.  True we stars get skrewed over...but dey done get skrewed.  by the way - bring back hardest b/c he not only slightly more skillful than anybody else who try to step up.  ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Guys,
            I agree with Coops. I don't think LP is crticizing Pacho. He observed that the defence is suspect and just voice his opinion. I did not recognize anything malicious from his statement.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 03:58:34 PM »
Yeah Benjie,Coop's & Bounty, I agree wid that if we was ah Brazil dat could chern dem out

but we cyar keep on reinventing de wheel everytime.We have to try to keep de little gains .

that we make,in play. Iz jes like everything else:Economics;

Education;Housing or Sports; there should b ah diffusion of wealth, & excellence is jes dat.

Man does pursue excellence for heself & doe study bout Paying It Forward.Well since we country

so small: [ Brazil have 190 million ] ,we ha to be doubly vigilent wid de spreading of excellence.

Ah suppose iz growin pain but most footballing country does get so good at it that they could

export dey brand of expertise, but dey iz big macow countries that have everything on dey side.

Peace. :peace:
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 04:18:14 PM »
If that is Lincon's conclusion,all we doing is complaining and throwing up we hands.  The problem can be easily sorted out.  Here is my suggestion:

Call all the players, old and new, young and old, and set up a camp as soon as they become available after the season.  One of our complaints is that friendly international games are always cancelled or we playing the Grenada's of the world.  Now we will have two complete teams to play two or three friendlies aganst each other as men fight for their place.  The coach can also use the opportunity to use various combinations until he gets the right mix.  Charge a smalll entrance ($50 TT may be) for fans to come into the games and then make you cuts.  What about that?  Wouldn't that solve all the problems instead we left to speculate as to who better than who, who match fit, who too old, who ent ready yet, etc., etc.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »
But Benjie, seeing as how we have ah problem with defending wouldn't have been better to keep these players around and mix them with the younger players so that they could learn ah thing or two, instead of just leaving them out in the cold.....

.....and I don't know about you but I somehow feel if the players had not stood up to de TTFF and not been blacklisted, they would have been in the mix from after the WC up to the current day and we would not be having this discussion today......

until the younger players show that they have what it takes to hold down de back...give me my older, more experienced players any day....
Quote from: Storeboy link=topic=35576.msg421844#msg421844
date=1209593894
If that is Lincon's conclusion,all we doing is complaining and throwing up we hands.  The problem can be easily sorted out.  Here is my suggestion:

Call all the players, old and new, young and old, and set up a camp as soon as they become available after the season.  One of our complaints is that friendly international games are always cancelled or we playing the Grenada's of the world.  Now we will have two complete teams to play two or three friendlies aganst each other as men fight for their place.  The coach can also use the opportunity to use various combinations until he gets the right mix.  Charge a smalll entrance ($50 TT may be) for fans to come into the games and then make you cuts.  What about that?  Wouldn't that solve all the problems instead we left to speculate as to who better than who, who match fit, who too old, who ent ready yet, etc., etc.

Good idea.Anything to inspire the Youngins.

BTW,the proceeds could be used for grounds maintenance or something.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
D plan pre d black list would  have been 2 mix d old with d new. That neva happen and d yute them had all d oppportunity and from what we see we know dat d defence is d problem long time. Defence has always been d weak link and now is d weakest link
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »
They not calling back all them players.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »
‘Tiger’ Phillips concerned about Warriors defending
Newsday

But he is concerned about the ability of the TT defence to deal with stronger opposition, especially within the CONCACAF region, especially with the FIFA World Cup qualifiers due to resume in June.

“We’re still not out of the woods in the defence,” he said. “The defending, we’re a bit square.

“I’m sure that (coach Francisco) Maturana knows that’s one of the areas that we have to put a lot of work on,” he added. “We definitely have to keep working at it.”

If this is all that bothers him, then we don't really have a problem. ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »
D list real long Doc he just mention 1 ting
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »

how de hell you know what he didnt mention?

Like how he didnt mention about yuh man wim?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 06:19:14 PM »

how de hell you know what he didnt mention?

Like how he didnt mention about yuh man wim?

ah tink yuh geyin close to the point of trollin' man TT.
I for one have more hope in the defense than I have in the midfield.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
Aye, Allyuh, Doh mention Wim, nah. Anytime Wim's name get involve, the whole thread gone "kayl-kay-tay"!!!!!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »
When you have players like Akile Edwards in yoour defence you must be concerned.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »
I dont know what happen betweeen him and Wim but being the Techinical Director you can't be complaining.  Its his job to fix things, because if the defense sucks, he is part to blame also

De man make ah observation, likely in response to a pointed question...you here talking shit about he 'complaining'.  You know what discussions Lincoln have or having in private with Maturana?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2008, 02:59:34 PM »
LP was on i95.5 last Saturday and  stated that he had several meetings with  Maturana who  informed him  that defence is what he is working on because we have enough fire power up front and a good  mid......
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »
I yuh so f**king worried...Call Back Lawrence Andrews Sancho and Avery...
or R. Garcia and A Farrier  ;)

Doh worry mls draft for you  and ancil
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips conducts NSCAA course and lecture.
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 07:45:08 AM »
According to reliable sources, LP will be presenting on Saturday at the NSCAA Convention. The topic: Safety: Technical and Tactical Nuances of Breakaways.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Lincoln ‘Tiger’ Phillips Thread
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2020, 03:23:55 PM »
Lincoln Phillips appointed Ambassador of TTFA’s North America Talent Identification Programme.
TTFA Media.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association is pleased to announce the appointment of Lincoln Phillips to the position of Ambassador of the North America Talent Identification and Player Pool Programme (TIPP).

Phillips is a former outstanding goalkeeper for Trinidad and Tobago and a past Technical Director of the TTFA.

As TIPP Ambassador  Phillips’ duties will include:

– Improve public awareness and familiarity with the North America programme (TIPP) and it’s mission.

– Represent TIPP programme at events

– Assist recruitment of players to represent Trinidad and Tobago instead of another country.

– Communicate the value of the programme and what it means for a player to represent his/her national team.

– Work closely with the TIPP Directors.

– Build rapport with future scouts and assist in increasing TIPP’s scout pool.

– Maintain a positive image of the TTFA and TIPP programme at all times.

We are proud to have you once again formally associated with our country’s football and look forward to working with you.

In an immediate response to the appointment, Phillips commented, “I am delighted to be an ambassador for my country. I accept the offer and pledge to do my best to see Trinidad and Tobago get back on track.”

Phillips’ appointment follows that of Shaka Hislop as TTFA Ambassador which was announced in December.

“We are indeed pleased that Lincoln Phillips has accepted our offer to be appointed as an Ambassador for our Talent Identification and Player Pool programme,” TTFA President William Wallace said.

“He has a wealth of knowledge and experience and is highly regarded in the region, particularly North America where he continues to play an active role in the sport.  We certainly look forward to his contributions and advice as we set out on discovering new talent and recruiting players to represent our country through this programme which has already begun to bring positives with the additions of a few players to our Under 20 Women’s Team.”

Keith Look Loy, chairman of the TTFA Technical Committee, added, “There could be no better ambassador for Trinidad and Tobago football and for TTFA’s scouting programme in North America than Lincoln Phillips. His personal and football history are rooted in both our country and in the USA. He exploits on and off the field over the course of his lifetime bring instant credibility and status to TIPP. And his willingness to associate with our initiative is further evidence that we are on the correct path.”

Phillips who played in the North American Soccer League (NASL) and was head coach of Howard University’s NCAA Championship teams of 1971 & 1974,was recently presented with the  2020 Walt Chyzowych Lifetime Achievement Award.

Phillips won a Bronze Medal in the 1967 Pan-American Games with T&T and was once named the “Most Outstanding Goalkeeper in the Caribbean” and Trinidad & Tobago’s “Goalkeeper of the Century”.

In the area of great soccer camps in America, “The Lincoln Phillips Soccer School” (1975-2004) produced many US National Youth Team players while others went on to receive scholarships and play at top Universities. Lincoln’s “Top- Flight Goalkeeping Academy” produced some of the nation’s top goalkeepers and goalkeeping coaches. Among those influenced by Phillip’s coaching include United Soccer Coaches Honor Award recipient Mike Curry, former MLS goalkeeper Zack Thornton and current US Military Academy Head Coach Russel Payne.

Phillips was also appointed a  FIFA Goalkeeper Instructor (1995-96) conducting coaching clinics and workshops for FIFA in the Caribbean and Asia.

(Walt Chyzowych was the first U.S. Soccer Federation’s director of coaching, he designed the coaching and licensing programs, to educate and train aspiring coaches, which are still in use throughout the country.He coached the United States’ World Cup, Olympic and Pan American Games teams, a handful of the country’s national youth teams and was instrumental in bringing the 1994 World Cup to the United States.)

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »
 ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lincoln ‘Tiger’ Phillips awarded US Lifetime Achievement Award
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2020, 12:21:21 PM »
Lincoln ‘Tiger’ Phillips awarded US Lifetime Achievement Award
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

Former T&T Football Federation technical director, Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips, was presented with the prestigious 2020 Walt Chyzowych Lifetime Achievement Award for his stalwart contributions to the development of football in the US.

Phillips, 78, received this auspicious accolade alongside former US women’s national team and two-time FIFA Women’s World Cup winning coach, Jill Ellis, at the United Soccer Coaches Annual Convention which was held at the Baltimore Convention Centre on January 18. This award is presented annually in recognition of a lifetime of dedication to preserving the spirit of the game, advancing its level of play and promoting growth among youth and adults in the US.

“I am deeply honoured to receive this most auspicious award,” said the one-time T&T custodian. “Walt Chyzowych was a dominant force in the development of American soccer and to be so recognized brings joy to my heart. I am equally delighted sharing the spotlight with former award winners, and now Jill Ellis, a wonderful coach in every sense of the word.”

After earning bronze at the 1967 Pan American Games, Phillips was drafted into the American Soccer League (ASL) as a player/coach. Over the next three years, “Tiger” won Coach of the Year, All-Star Team goalkeeper (both with Washington Darts), became a member of the North ASL All-Star Team and even played against Pele (Santos) in an exhibition match in 1970. It was at Howard University in 1970 however, Phillips made his mark as a full-time coach, leading them to the school’s first ever National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) final-four in any sport, in his first season at the age of 29.

In 1971, he coached Howard to the NCAA Division 1 Championship, making them the first historically black college to win it. However, the NCAA controversially stripped Howard of its title for alleged player eligibility violations. Undeterred, Phillips then led Howard to win the NCAA title again in 1974 and was awarded Coach of the Year for both seasons.

During his 11-year tenure at Howard, Phillips compiled a commanding record of 117 wins, 19 draws and 11 losses. After Howard, at which Phillips also earned a bachelor’s and master’s degree, he served for five years at director of coaching for the Maryland State Youth Soccer Association and worked with Chyzowych as a member of the national coaching staff for US Soccer.

The Lincoln Phillips Soccer School (1975-2004) produced many US national youth team players while others went on to receive scholarships and play at top universities. His “Top- Flight Goalkeeping Academy” produced some of the nation’s top goalkeepers and goalkeeping coaches.

Phillips was also coach of Virginia Commonwealth University (1989-1994), leading them to a top 20 twenty ranking in 1993 and also served as goalkeeping coach for Loyola University’s Women’s Soccer Programme (2013-14).

The veteran was named a FIFA Staff Goalkeeper Instructor (1995-96) conducting coaching clinics and workshops for FIFA in the Caribbean and Asia and later as technical director for the then TTFF. He was also the author of “Goalkeeping: The last line of defence, the first line of attack” and “Call Me Coach”.

On January 17, 2020, the T&T Football Association appointed Phillips to the position of ambassador of the North America Talent Identification and Player Pool Programme (TIPP).
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »
WATCH: Hall of Fame soccer coach Lincoln Phillips adds another award -- the Walt Chyzowych Lifetime Achievement Award - to his vast trophy case. "Call me Coach" is voiced by ESPN's Jay Harris, and edited by Jeff Dubinsky.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2020, 08:01:56 AM »
UTT honours ‘Tiger’
T&T Express Reports.

Former Trinidad and Tobago goal-keeper Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips will be conferred the title of Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters by the University of Trinidad and Tobago for his contribution to football.

The honorary title represents UTT’s commitment to honour the work of nationals who contribute to the development of our country and was announced by the University via a media release yesterday. “The University remains committed to celebrating the achievements of its local stalwarts, and extends hearty congratulations to Mr Phillips,” UTT stated.

The former Queen’s Royal College student was described as a football pioneer having helped the national team to a third place finish in the 1967 Pan American Games. He also served as senior men’s team technical director when they qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

“Phillips is one of the nation’s football pioneers, with dedicated involvement in the sport at every participation level. During his childhood, he helped lead Queen’s Royal College to national championships in football and cricket. His emergence as the starting goalkeeper for Maple Football Club also yielded two national championships and he also played a key role in the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment’s national championship titles in football and basketball,” the media release stated.

During his stint as technical director, Phillips introduced the National Coaching Scheme, which certified over 900 coaches. “This undoubtedly played a role in the successes of the country’s U-17 and U-20 teams on the road to qualification for their respective World Cups. As a youth, he played for various teams in the USA, collecting a number of accolades, including League All-Star and eventually, Coach of the Year.

“He made history leading Howard University to the NCAA Championship in 1974 with a historic unbeaten record,” the media release added.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2021, 12:22:51 AM »
A ‘Tiger’ at the back and Gellineau’s good head on top; T&T’s humble W/Cup bow in ‘66.
By Lasana Liburd(Wired868).

As the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior Team prepare to kick off their Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifying series, journalist Lasana Liburd recalls our first campaign with former national goalkeeper Lincoln ‘Tiger’ Phillips—in the first instalment of a series on T&T’s World Cup adventures, adapted from articles published first in the Trinidad Express in 2006:

On 15 November 2005, Trinidad and Tobago created history by qualifying for its first World Cup senior tournament. The tiny twin-island republic of 1.3 million people became the smallest nation ever to appear at a World Cup final when the Soca Warriors stepped on to the field in field in Dortmund to face Sweden—although Iceland, with a population of roughly 370,000, eclipsed that mark at the Russia 2018 World Cup.

Six foot seven Trinidad and Tobago defender Dennis Lawrence had the distinction of scoring the vital goal, which propelled his team into the Germany 2006 World Cup by virtue of a 2-1 Play Off aggregate win over Bahrain.

In truth, T&T’s drive towards football success began long before Lawrence or household names like Dwight Yorke, Leo Beenhakker, Bertille St Clair and Everald ‘Gally’ Cummings.

Trinidad and Tobago’s World Cup dream started with combat against Suriname on 2 February 1965 at the Queen’s Park Oval.

The aspirations and realities of the team, who contested the 1966 World Cup qualifiers, was very different to their counterparts—40 years later—for more reasons than one.

In 1965, Trinidad and Tobago was entering its first official tournament and coach Conrad Braithwaite could only guess how his players would handle the challenge. Perhaps even more relevant was the fact that Fifa only allowed one team from Concacaf to participate in the showcase tournament at the time.

In 2005, the Soca Warriors ended fourth and nine points behind joint leaders, Mexico and the United States, in a final group of six but were able to book a place in the World Cup final through a Play Off. Forty years ago, only one Concacaf team survived the qualifying rounds and Mexico was formidable and growing stronger.

The ‘Ticos’ participated in the inaugural World Cup tournament in 1930 and was slowly winning respect from the powerful European and South American teams. In the 1958 competition, Mexico tallied its first points at a World Cup by holding Wales and Hungary to 1-1 ties in the group stages and, in 1962, the Spanish-speaking North American country bettered this record by whipping Czechoslovakia 3-1.

Not that the 18 players in red, black and white strip were thinking of Mexico as they stretched their legs at the Queen’s Park Oval on the afternoon of 2 February.

In the corner of the dressing room, 23-year-old goalkeeper Lincoln Phillips was particularly distressed. Phillips, a tall, dark and slender figure with a flat top hairstyle, looked at himself in disgust, sucked his teeth and grimaced.

His eyes were locked on his scruffy light blue jersey with yellow stripes but his anger was aimed at Dutch referee Theodorus Koetsier. In international tournaments at the time, match officials were the only persons on the field allowed to wear black. Phillips never wore any other colour and he was not enjoying the change.

“When I went out, the referee (Koetsier) said I had to change my jersey,” said Phillips. “So someone handed me a light blue shirt instead. It was scruffy and a size too small and even had a hole in it. It affected me in no mean way.

“I hated it. I was very particular about my dress.”

Phillips’ affinity with black can be traced to his most vivid childhood memory at a football match. He was 10-years-old when he first laid eyes on Maple goalkeeper Hugh Sealy and was immediately spellbound by the custodian dressed completely in black.

“They called [Sealy] the ‘black panther’,” said Phillips. “I remember standing behind the goal and seeing him move around the posts, before the game started, as though he was in a trance. He went into his goal area and started to shake the nets as though he was a wild animal.

“I was very impressed.”

Phillips, who went on to Queen’s Royal College (QRC), spent his adolescent years attempting to emulate Sealy and even took on the nickname ‘Black Panther’. A promising goalkeeper himself, Phillips represented QRC and Maple and had just joined the army when he was selected for his first national tour in 1963. Although T&T had not participated in an official tournament, tours to various Caribbean islands or to Guyana or Suriname were commonplace.

In 1963, Phillips traveled to Suriname as replacement for the retired Malvern goalkeeper Clive ‘Milo Man’ Burnett who was understudy to Casuals’ custodian Pat Gomez.

“Pat was the team captain and white, which meant something special in those days,” said Phillips. “Burnett had been on the bench for Pat for the last five years and had just gotten fed up so I got my chance. Pat was a good goalkeeper but he was in really bad form on that tour.”

Phillips took over after the pleadings of his teammates and, by 1965, was the established number one goalkeeper.

Cocky, athletic and flamboyant, Phillips felt he could defy any striker. But, at 23, he had no answer to a strict Dutch official and T&T was struggling to hold on against a solid Suriname squad when Braithwaite cornered his wound-up goalkeeper in the Oval’s dressing room.

Phillips’ performance in the first half was below his usual form.

“Listen to me Lincoln, you are the first, second and third best goalkeeper in the whole Caribbean ,” said Braithwaite, according to Phillips’ recollection, “the only thing they changed was the shirt.”

Phillips returned to the field to have what he described as the game of his life. Trinidad and Tobago already got its first World Cup goal through striker Jeff Gellineau and an Andy Aleong double as well as an Alvin Corneal item wrapped up a convincing 4-1 triumph in the country’s World Cup qualifying debut.

Match highlights were replayed several times at the Deluxe Cinema, Port of Spain and one particular save from Phillips enhanced his burgeoning reputation. A Surinamese attacker had broken clear and Phillips raced off his line and flew through the air to gobble up the ball.

“But you looked like a tiger there man!” shouted one theatre patron, in reference to the yellow stripes on Phillips’ shirt as well as his athleticism.

The nickname remained and so did the brighter tops with yellow stripes. Phillips, already a community hero, was transformed from the second ‘Black Panther’ to the first ‘Tiger’.

The national camp was abuzz with optimism.

“We felt really good after the game,” said Phillips. “We played well and our expectations were very high. We felt we had a very strong team…

“Our wingers [Corneal and Aleong] were quite good and Gellineau was absolutely brilliant with his head in the air. So our strategy was to get the ball across the goal in the air.

“We were also strong in the back with our captain Sedley Joseph who was a tremendous player and players like Aldwyn Ferguson, Clement Clarke, Tyrone de la Bastide and the ageing but very wise Doyle Griffith.”

There were just 3,272 fans at the Oval on 7 February, which was a far cry from the packed grounds for domestic football at the time. The players were excited but the general public had not yet been seduced by international football.

On 20 February, Phillips and his teammates received a rude awakening to the complexities of international football when they landed in San Jose for their second group match away to Costa Rica. It was T&T’s first game high above sea level.

“We were just jogging around the field to warm up,” said Phillips, “and then Braithwaite stopped and was panting and asked the fellahs ‘is anyone… feeling… unusually tired?’”

The match was a one-sided affair as T&T prayed for the final whistle while Costa Rica bombarded Phillips’ goal. After just 30 minutes, Corneal offered to be substituted as the visiting team struggled with the high altitude and Costa Rica ended as comfortable 4-0 victors.

“When the game started, it was something else,” said Phillips. “Alvin [Corneal] was on the field holding his ear drums as though they would explode. Everyone was hiding because no one wanted the ball. Our players were kicking the ball as high and far away as possible just to get some rest but they had balls all around the field that they kept throwing on.

“I had a good game. The fellahs said that it could have been 10 or 11 [goals against us] because the game was so lopsided. We were so naïve to such conditions but that tournament moved me to another level as a goalkeeper.”

Trinidad and Tobago played Costa Rica again on 3 March at the Oval. As revenge for the high altitude horrors, the local Football Association (FA) scheduled a kick off at 1 pm to wilt the Central Americans under the blazing overhead sun. Phillips believed that it did offer the hosts some advantage although Costa Rica still won 1-0 and T&T was eliminated.

“[Costa Rica] nearly died in the heat but they were a much better team than us,” he said. “They sneaked in a goal with a good shot from the inside left position in the first half and just packed it in [their own half] after that.”

The final fixture, away to Suriname, was just a formality and the talented strike pair of Bobby Sookram and Gerry Brown as well as centre-half Victor Gamaldo were given debuts in place of Aleong, Pat Small and Ken Furlonge—at the time, the T&TFA and not the coach selected the team. T&T lost 6-1 with Sookram bagging the lone goal.

“We felt very disappointed after the last qualifier,” said Phillips. “But the expectation of going to the World Cup was never there. It was just one team [who qualified] from the region and Mexico was light years ahead of us while we had no history of playing in the World Cup.”

The players switched focus back to their respective clubs. But T&T had begun down the long road of international football.

(1966 World Cup qualifying series)

2 Feb 1965 , Port of Spain, Queen’s Park Oval, 3,272 (attendance)

T&T 4 (Jeff Gellineau, Alvin Corneal, Andy Aleong [2]), Suriname 1

21 Feb 1965, San José, Estadío Nacional de la Sabana, 10,133

COSTA RICA 4, T&T 0

3 Mar 1965 , Port of Spain, Queen’s Park Oval, 3,293

T&T 0, COSTA RICA 1

14 Mar 1965 , Paramaribo, Natsjonalstadion, 3,417

SURINAM 6, T&T 1 (Bobby Sookram).

For Your Information:

Trinidad and Tobago used a 4-2-4 formation in the 1966 qualifiers under coach Conrad Braithwaite.

In goal was Lincoln Phillips with Aldwyn Ferguson, Tyrone de la Bastide, Clement Clarke and Doyle Griffith spread out in front of him from right to left.

Team captain Sedley Joseph and Ken Furlonge were the holding midfielders or centre-halves while Andy Aleong and Alvin Corneal patrolled the right and left flanks respectively. Jeff Gellineau and Pat Small started upfront.

Gellineau, who represented a local team called Luton Town, was the country’s first scorer in a competitive international match and World Cup qualifier after his goal in T&T’s 4-1 win over Suriname on 2 February 1965.

Aleong was T&T’s highest scorer in the 1966 qualifying series with two goals while Corneal, Sookram and Gellineau had one a-piece.

Editor’s Note: Wired868 will publish its second instalment on Tuesday 16 March 2021.

Watch: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago's World Cup qualifying win over Suriname in 1965

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2021, 09:06:24 PM »
Common and Steel Springs to Produce ‘Rising Above,’ About Howard University’s 1971 Soccer Team and Coach Lincoln ‘Tiger’ Phillips
By Angelique Jackson (variety.com)

Hollywood loves a great sports story almost as much as it loves a story of overcoming the odds to find redemption. Oscar- and Grammy-winning artist Common’s upcoming movie will give audiences both.

Common has teamed up with Steel Springs Pictures to produce “Rising Above,” a new movie based on the true story of Howard University’s soccer team and its legendary coach Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips. The movie follows events as the 1971 Howard soccer team was unfairly stripped of their champion title by the NCAA, and how a then 29-year-old Phillips fought for redemption against racial injustice for the soccer players and himself, ultimately regaining the title in 1974.

Now 80 years old, Phillips has continued to break barriers, becoming the first Black professional soccer coach in U.S. history, and receiving the sport’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2020.

“I’m very excited and grateful to be partnering with Steel Springs on this project,” Common says of the film. “This inspiring story is one we never knew existed and together, are passionate about telling.”

Taylor Materne wrote the screenplay for the movie, produced by Steel Springs’ Peter Lawson and Common’s Stardust Films banner. Current and former U.S. soccer stars — Jozy Altidore, DaMarcus Beasley, Mo Edu, Oguchi Onyewu and Charlie Davies — are financing and executive producing the project.

“Taylor is an incredibly talented writer and someone we know who will tell this dynamic story with the nuance and sophistication that existed for these young Black men who were excelling in the late sixties while not only dealing with the struggles of racism, but also with conflict within Black culture,” Common adds.

The movie begins in 1971, according to a description of the film, as the Howard soccer team has broken records with their number of wins:

In 1974, the Howard team gained redemption for being unfairly stripped of their national title years earlier, winning against St. Louis again in quadruple overtime. They went undefeated that season, 19-0, with 63 goals scored and only six goals allowed. That feat has been unequaled to this day. As former Howard student Rock Newman said “This wasn’t just about a soccer championship. This was Black excellence.”

Steel Springs Pictures’ Peter Lawson says, “I was blown away when I discovered this story. It’s a part of history that was forgotten and must be told. We have an unparalleled team in place to bring Coach Lincoln Phillips’ story to the big screen.”

Steel Springs has also acquired Phillips’ life story rights, as well as the rights to his biography, “Rising Above and Beyond the Crossbar: The Life Story of Lincoln ‘Tiger’ Phillips.” And speaking of the team bringing this story to light, news of the project comes as Lawson’s Steel Springs Pictures recently wrapped production on “Alice,” in which Common stars opposite Keke Palmer.

As a result of that relationship, Lawson adds that with Common’s “shared vision and enthusiasm for the project, Taylor Materne’s incredible screenplay and our ongoing collaboration with Lincoln Phillips and Howard University, we can bring something really special to the world of sports films. The support and belief we have from soccer stars Jozy, DaMarcus, Mo, Oguchi and Charlie is beyond humbling, it’s a story they’re passionate to tell and to honor their peers in doing so.”

Speaking on behalf of the soccer stars, Edu says, “We are really looking forward to working with Peter, Common and Taylor to bring this powerful story about Coach Lincoln Phillips and Howard University to life.

“The story resonated with all of us on many different levels. From a sporting and social lens, it brings to light some powerful conversations that this group of young Black men had to deal with and champion against adversity,” Edu, the first overall pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft and previous MLS Rookie of the Year winner, continues. “The way the players and Coach Phillips overcame so many obstacles in order to achieve success in a time period of social unrest is inspiring, and certainly led the way for young Black soccer U.S. soccer players today.”

Common is represented by UTA/Grandview. Lawson is repped by Lichter, Grossman. Materne is repped by Grandview. Taylor is also repped by CAA.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2021, 09:42:43 PM »
Can't wait to see this, congrats to Lincoln!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2021, 04:07:51 PM »
Papa yo!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2021, 12:42:14 AM »
Lincoln Phillips appointed Ambassador of TTFA’s North America Talent Identification Programme.
TTFA Media.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association is pleased to announce the appointment of Lincoln Phillips to the position of Ambassador of the North America Talent Identification and Player Pool Programme (TIPP).

Phillips is a former outstanding goalkeeper for Trinidad and Tobago and a past Technical Director of the TTFA.

As TIPP Ambassador  Phillips’ duties will include:

– Improve public awareness and familiarity with the North America programme (TIPP) and it’s mission.

– Represent TIPP programme at events

– Assist recruitment of players to represent Trinidad and Tobago instead of another country.

– Communicate the value of the programme and what it means for a player to represent his/her national team.

– Work closely with the TIPP Directors.

– Build rapport with future scouts and assist in increasing TIPP’s scout pool.

– Maintain a positive image of the TTFA and TIPP programme at all times.

We are proud to have you once again formally associated with our country’s football and look forward to working with you.

In an immediate response to the appointment, Phillips commented, “I am delighted to be an ambassador for my country. I accept the offer and pledge to do my best to see Trinidad and Tobago get back on track.”

Phillips’ appointment follows that of Shaka Hislop as TTFA Ambassador which was announced in December.

“We are indeed pleased that Lincoln Phillips has accepted our offer to be appointed as an Ambassador for our Talent Identification and Player Pool programme,” TTFA President William Wallace said.

“He has a wealth of knowledge and experience and is highly regarded in the region, particularly North America where he continues to play an active role in the sport.  We certainly look forward to his contributions and advice as we set out on discovering new talent and recruiting players to represent our country through this programme which has already begun to bring positives with the additions of a few players to our Under 20 Women’s Team.”

Keith Look Loy, chairman of the TTFA Technical Committee, added, “There could be no better ambassador for Trinidad and Tobago football and for TTFA’s scouting programme in North America than Lincoln Phillips. His personal and football history are rooted in both our country and in the USA. He exploits on and off the field over the course of his lifetime bring instant credibility and status to TIPP. And his willingness to associate with our initiative is further evidence that we are on the correct path.”

Phillips who played in the North American Soccer League (NASL) and was head coach of Howard University’s NCAA Championship teams of 1971 & 1974,was recently presented with the  2020 Walt Chyzowych Lifetime Achievement Award.

Phillips won a Bronze Medal in the 1967 Pan-American Games with T&T and was once named the “Most Outstanding Goalkeeper in the Caribbean” and Trinidad & Tobago’s “Goalkeeper of the Century”.

In the area of great soccer camps in America, “The Lincoln Phillips Soccer School” (1975-2004) produced many US National Youth Team players while others went on to receive scholarships and play at top Universities. Lincoln’s “Top- Flight Goalkeeping Academy” produced some of the nation’s top goalkeepers and goalkeeping coaches. Among those influenced by Phillip’s coaching include United Soccer Coaches Honor Award recipient Mike Curry, former MLS goalkeeper Zack Thornton and current US Military Academy Head Coach Russel Payne.

Phillips was also appointed a  FIFA Goalkeeper Instructor (1995-96) conducting coaching clinics and workshops for FIFA in the Caribbean and Asia.

(Walt Chyzowych was the first U.S. Soccer Federation’s director of coaching, he designed the coaching and licensing programs, to educate and train aspiring coaches, which are still in use throughout the country.He coached the United States’ World Cup, Olympic and Pan American Games teams, a handful of the country’s national youth teams and was instrumental in bringing the 1994 World Cup to the United States.)

Congrats to Lincoln on this the only issue is Taylor is not a notable screenwriter so they will need a strong director in order to really keep the story strong on screen...

Taylor is more of a producer and hasn't done anything that warrants writing this script which needs a powerful base..

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hummingbird Medal for Lincoln Phillips
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2022, 09:21:43 PM »
Hummingbird Medal for Lincoln Phillips
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

The one award that has eluded former national goalkeeper Lincoln Phillips for many years, will finally be given to him on Wednesday.

The Hummingbird Silver Medal will be given to the former national goalkeeper, coach and football administrator by President Paula Mae Weekes at the President's House in St Ann's for his contribution to football.

Phillips said he was honoured to have been chosen for the award as he reminds all that his country does not owe him anything, but rather it's the other way around, where he owes everything to his country.

At age 81, Phillips has experienced everything there is to experience in football and maybe sports.

Born in St James on the 4th day of July in 1941, the date of America's Independence, the nearby sports facilities of St James Barracks, Nelson Mandela Park which was formerly King George V Park, Queen's Park Savannah, Federation Park and the Woodbrook Youth Centre were the breeding grounds for his emergence as a top school, national and international goalkeeper and sports administrator.

He became the first black professional soccer coach in U.S. history in 1968 to be player/coach of the Washington Darts. He also coached Howard University to two undefeated seasons and NCAA Championships. As goalkeeper for T&T from 1963 to 1967, the team won a bronze medal at the 1967 Pan American Games.

Off the field, he was Technical Director of T&T football, athletic director at Newport Preparatory School in Kensington, director of coaching for the Maryland State Youth Soccer Association for five years and a member of the U.S. Soccer Federation's national coaching staff, and was a FIFA Staff Goalkeeper instructor from 1994-05, conducting coaching development workshops for FIFA in the Caribbean and Asia.

Phillips' who is currently in the United States working on the development of many young, budding footballers, will not be on hand to receive his award. It will be collected by his nephew Darryl 'Rocky' Phillips whose father George Phillips, Lincoln's brother, was also a Hummingbird Silver Medal winner for his contribution to the sport of basketball.

Some Other Achievements:

Honors in St James:

Awarded by We Beat for outstanding services to community and country ( 2007)

1958 - at the age of 17 I represented Providence FC (as a Goalkeeper on the first division and striker in the second division)

Honors-

Winners of the BDV Cup….The first and only trophy that The club ever won. ….represented POSFL 2nd X1 team (as a striker). It was here that Dewhurst discovered me and recruited me to QRC

1959-
Enter QRC in Feb that year…..Played on the - cricket team ( opening batsman and opening Bowler.

Honors-

InterCollegiate Champions in Cricket and Soccer

Played at stopper (1959) and goalkeeper (1960)

Represented POSFL as a stopper (1959) with Pat Gomez in goal….while at QRC named among the top 5 POSFL players of the year:

Basketball-

Represented Braves BBall club.

Honors: selected to the Trinidad and Tobago Basketball Association second team and later on (1962) in the North Central and American Games, in Jamaica.

Represented Maple FC

1]; } ?>