April 24, 2024, 07:53:38 PM

Author Topic: Gally calls for Darin Lewis.  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gally calls for Darin Lewis.
« on: January 11, 2007, 07:53:08 AM »
Gally calls for Darin Lewis.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

Everald "Gally" Cummings, the former Trinidad and Tobago national football coach and incumbent coach at professional club North East Stars, is puzzled by the omission of Darin Lewis, the WASA striker, from the inexperienced squad which will represent this country at the Digicel Caribbean Cup which to be held here from tomorrow to January 23.
"With the Jabloteh players out, I thought that a fairly experienced player like Darin Lewis would have been included in the squad. He destroyed us (North East Stars) in the FA Trophy Final. He was the one doing everything. He hit that nice volley in the penalty area which almost sunk us. I cannot believe that they did not have someone at the warm-up game last week when Haiti played WASA. I saw a lil' clip of the match and he (Lewis) gave the Haitians a difficult time. I would have though that players like him and Jemmott (Kerwyn) would have been a certainty."
Cummings, who confesses to not having seen many local matches because of his commitments with North East Stars, says he has concerns about the level of performance Trinidad and Tobago will put out with relatively unknown players, many of whom are having their first senior national caps. Taking in Haiti's 2-0 victory in a the Digicel Caribbean Cup qualifier against Bermuda at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, on Sunday, Cummings said: "My worry is that a locally-based national team has not been in training. And we are going to send these guys out there and expect them to play well together. These guys have not played together and it will be interesting to see what they produce."
Cummings also thought that the loss of 12 San Juan Jabloteh players from selection had significantly weakened the Trinidad and Tobago national team. While trying his best to stay clear of the matter, it was obvious that Cummings was not in agreement with Englishman Terry Fenwick's decision to keep his Jabloteh players out of the national team and have them prepare for a Caribbean Club Championships semifinal on January 26 instead.
"The loss of the Jabloteh players is a big blow to Trinidad and Tobago because they were the back-up. They have some of the are best locally-based players, and with none of the professionals coming back from England, they were the players expected to be in the team. You know how important having World Cup players such as Cyd Gray and Aurtis Whitley would have been for the confidence of this team. With them gone we have to depend on third string...well let's say less-experienced players, to fill the national team. I never heard about some of them."
While Cummings was speaking, Dutch coach Wim Rijsbergen was putting the young T&T players through their final paces on the training ground at the far side of the Ato Boldon Stadium. Assistant national coach Anton Corneal was also in the stands and said he was impressed by the ball movement and skill of the Haitian national team. Cummings was not thrilled with either Haiti or Bermuda, remembering his day when Haitian nationals teams regularly gave Trinidad and Tobago plenty trouble.
Meanwhile, on Monday Jabloteh manager, Azaad Khan, said the club had not altered their position that because the Digicel Caribbean Cup did not fall on an officials match date on FIFA'S international match calendar, the local club had every right to do like the English clubs and hold onto their players. Khan said Jabloteh had written the governing Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation confirming their position to withhold their players on this occasion, since the club championship was important to Jabloteh's ambitions, and would be played just three days after the Caribbean Cup final. Khan said also the Jabloteh executive were to have held a meeting Monday night, but were not expected to alter their position.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:18:14 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gally calls for Darin Lewis
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:09:08 AM »
The day before the match ,he have this bright idea for lewis to be on the team .steupss uhh thanks.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Gally calls for Darin Lewis
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:15:16 AM »
Darin Lewis .....  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Wonder if he so good wha he still doing in de Super League.... a level of football where a team from the SSFL could compete with...

What experience Lewis have ? and ent Jemmott on de T&T team.... Gallly, hush nah.... sign him at North East Stars for next season if yuh so like him.... Lewis never played for T&T senior team.... so what experience Lewis really have....

One thing though, TTFF as usual, not scouting they opponents and that bad....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:22:23 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gally calls for Darin Lewis.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 09:02:39 AM »
If I am correct, Darrin Lewis and Brent Rahim was on the the UCONN team that won the NCAA championships.

From what I saw of him then he was a very good player, but I must confess, I have not seen him play since then.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:19:52 AM »
"With the Jabloteh players out, I thought that a fairly experienced player like Darin Lewis would have been included in the squad.
Wha kind of experience does Darin Lewis have? He has a solitary cap for the senior team, coming on as a substitute when we lost to Barbados in 1997. He is 30 years old and since winning the 2000 NCAA College Cup MVP award, he hasn't exactly set the football world alight.  After college he spent a year at Portland Timberwolves in the A-League, a month at NY/NJ Metrostars, a year or so at the Hampton Road Mariners and has been playing for WASA for the last couple of years. Ah wonder how come he never sign wit ah PFL side.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:39:25 AM »
Lewis capable of playing on the national team.

tallman he has experience in A league and NCAA.

But he is old and we looking to youth.

Frankly the Super league teams are on par with the PFL team especially since we not even picking the top PFL players with the ommision of Jabloteh players.

Wasa beat NE stars and Joe Public a Super league team last year win the PFL league this year with the same coach and same core of players.

I think the main reason he aint get call is age but it is a fair question to ask.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »
Lewis capable of playing on the national team.

tallman he has experience in A league and NCAA.

But he is old and we looking to youth.

Frankly the Super league teams are on par with the PFL team especially since we not even picking the top PFL players with the ommision of Jabloteh players.

Wasa beat NE stars and Joe Public a Super league team last year win the PFL league this year with the same coach and same core of players.

I think the main reason he aint get call is age but it is a fair question to ask.

Joe public was always a fully pro team but they were just playing in the  super league.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 09:59:03 AM »
"With the Jabloteh players out, I thought that a fairly experienced player like Darin Lewis would have been included in the squad.
Wha kind of experience does Darin Lewis have? He has a solitary cap for the senior team, coming on as a substitute when we lost to Barbados in 1997. He is 30 years old and since winning the 2000 NCAA College Cup MVP award, he hasn't exactly set the football world alight.  After college he spent a year at Portland Timberwolves in the A-League, a month at NY/NJ Metrostars, a year or so at the Hampton Road Mariners and has been playing for WASA for the last couple of years. Ah wonder how come he never sign wit ah PFL side.
I know Darin personally, and he is a very gifted player that could cause trouble fuh ah defender on anyday. But since he was released from the NY/NJ Redbulls?Metro stars because of work permit issues he failed to put himself into a position to succeed in fooball. he decided to wrok a regular 9-5 with his degree from UCONN. And as Tallman say he is 30 and we are not loking at men at that age.... Come on Gally, lets give the young guys a break!!!!!!!!!! :P
All American

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »
lewis was a boss at UConn. eh know bout know though.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:13:30 AM »
Speng indicated years ago that he did not want to play professionally anymore. He is enjoying himself at WASA where he can get the best of both worlds in that he still plays his football for enjoyment but at a competitive level with players of similar ability.

I agree that there is no need to look his way in terms of national selection, however let's remember that it's Gally who is making the suggestion and he becomes national coach Gally, he will always find fault with something!
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:32:17 AM »
Lewis sign with MetroStars and didnot have work permit issues, he was dropped because he did not perform good, bottom line, did he even score a goal for them... ? he took an international spot on MetroStars roster and got droped for someone else.....

I do not rate him, I saw him many times...... Joel Bailey is a much better forward.....

TrinInfinite

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:38:17 AM »
Lewis sign with MetroStars and didnot have work permit issues, he was dropped because he did not perform good, bottom line, did he even score a goal for them... ? he took an international spot on MetroStars roster and got droped for someone else.....

I do not rate him, I saw him many times...... Joel Bailey is a much better forward.....

breddah ive been watching de pic with de bess yuh have dey, ah now realize diz meh 2nd cousin wife  :rotfl: :rotfl: ah was saying 2 myself dat girl look real familiar, i only met her about 3 times but ah think diz she lol :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:46:03 AM »
Speng indicated years ago that he did not want to play professionally anymore. He is enjoying himself at WASA where he can get the best of both worlds in that he still plays his football for enjoyment but at a competitive level with players of similar ability.

I agree that there is no need to look his way in terms of national selection, however let's remember that it's Gally who is making the suggestion and he becomes national coach Gally, he will always find fault with something!
       I'll agree with that because i don't know Darin personally but i know his Dad very well Steve Pierre(Dark Horse),from speaking with him i gather his son got what he wanted most from Football which is an education,he knew what T&T Football involves because he walked that path once and did not want him to go through that so he never encouraged him.From what i saw of him at college i was very impressed,i'm not sure but i think some time back he was called,if he show was anyones guess.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 10:48:27 AM »
breddah ive been watching de pic with de bess yuh have dey, ah now realize diz meh 2nd cousin wife  :rotfl: :rotfl: ah was saying 2 myself dat girl look real familiar, i only met her about 3 times but ah think diz she lol :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yuh f**king lie, everyobdy is yuh cousin.... they should call you King Lia ...  :rotfl:....... what is she name then ? just give me de initials if you dont want to reveal her name.....

I know she very well, ent Touches.....  :angel:

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »
long time ain't hear that name boy. He was very good player,  Play a few times with and agianst him and find mehself drifting off and  really enjoying watching this fella play football, appeared to be a disciplined hard working player also.
Look I Can't remember specificsand  maybe somebody else have more info. but years ago heard he had a big fallout with the Corneals, so if true as many of us here know no matter how good he playing now, or what team or league he in, slim chance he would be selected for any natl team.
Interesting to see if gally would sign him next season in truth.  He should be able to handle it in the pro league.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
Haven't heard dat name in a while dread. This guy used to play for Belmont in SSFL back in de day and was a skillful player. Thought he would be in de red, white and black but such is life.   
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »

Yuh f**king lie, everyobdy is yuh cousin.... they should call you King Lia ...  :rotfl:....... what is she name then ? just give me de initials if you dont want to reveal her name.....

How yu go buss dat mark soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  Alyu bad like asssssssssssssssssssssssssss :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :beermug: :beermug: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

TrinInfinite

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 01:32:46 PM »

How yu go buss dat mark soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Alyu bad like asssssssssssssssssssssssssss :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :beermug: :beermug: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

breds ah done answer sam already on the pm dey, i said think, never said i was 100% sure but that bess lookin juss like meh cousin wife horse, no lie... :o

1]; } ?>