April 20, 2024, 02:18:22 AM

Author Topic: In 18 years of following T&T football  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In 18 years of following T&T football
« on: January 11, 2007, 09:30:31 AM »
I have never seen an upcoming craibbean tourney where so many teams genuinely believe they can beat T&T and win the thing outright.

We have just qualified and participated at the highest level of worl football, something none of these other 7 teams have come close to doing in the modern era (post 1970's). That is a helluva stripe to have, and just based on this we would command great respect from some of these other supposedly "inferior" teams. But I dont think we are favourites to win, simply because of the present circumstances of the team composition.

Lets just forget the current team selection problems for a moment, some stuff to ponder:
1) If Mexico was to host the UNCAF or whatever they call it in Central America, and field a 2nd grade team, playing at home, would they still be considered favourites? I think they would. And that is the difference between us and them.

2) Rememebr in the 2002 WC drive, our first game was vs jamaica in Kingston. We had assembled our best team on paper, perhaps in history up to that point...Dwight just netted a hattrick vs Arsenal a few days before, but Ja - fielding a team that included perhaps 2 first choice players at max - beat us. Can we do the same to them if the roles were reversed? Thats the difference between T&T and Ja.

3) This bunch of players will have been training together for about 6 weeks at the start of the tourney on Friday...by T&T standards, that is a lifetime. It is one of our better prepared national teams in recent memory. If we flob big time, what conclusions can we draw from that? 1) Our local based players just cant cut it, or 2) The 6 week camp did not fulfil its purpose, and the services of the technical staff will be called into question.

Everyone thinking of the negatives, the stuff from jabloteh, etc etc, but anyone stop to wonder if we actually do well in this competition? What will that mean?

For one, it will be very disheartening for the rest of the Caribbean..That they cannot compete with a supposed 3rd string T&T team.
The mental boost it will give the technical staff and all players involved (foreign and local) will be immeasureable.

I see this as an excellent opportunity to see where our local guys stand against moderate opposition. We have been hearing for the past couple years that our locals dont cut it, our PFL is not good enough. Well, its an excellent time now to pass judgement on that now. No excuses, the team has been in some very good preperation.

Personally, I would love us to win the competition...
But logically thinking and going on history, i dont know if it will happen.... Getting a Gold Cup place is an absolute must. It isnt that hard, 4 teams qualify, we just have to get out the group stage.
Cuba, Martinique and Haiti are top teams. Guadelupe and Bim in our group I know will be competitive. We kinda lucky ja got knocked out in retrospect.
I know to myself that our first team will make mincemeat of all these other teams, maybe the top 3 I called before will be competitive....So lets be secure in that and hope for the best over the next 2 weeks.

Lets see what our locals and the PFL can do....

If we are to be considered a top CONCACAF team like Mex and the US, we have to start proving that we have more that 16-18 players from T&T who can play football.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: In 18 years of following T&T football
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 10:04:20 AM »

2) Rememebr in the 2002 WC drive, our first game was vs jamaica in Kingston. We had assembled our best team on paper, perhaps in history up to that point...Dwight just netted a hattrick vs Arsenal a few days before, but Ja - fielding a team that included perhaps 2 first choice players at max - beat us. Can we do the same to them if the roles were reversed? Thats the difference between T&T and Ja.

Everyone has a point to prove  Trini are  a target everybody want to beat us . what yuh mean by first choice Oh and for that game in kingston jamaica played they full strenght squad ... and were just lucky to win
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:19:11 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:15:52 AM »
Man nothing personal but with the state of affairs with fielding a Trinidad team.... Even the prisoners out on Carera feel they could beat the Trini squad if they were allowed to enter the competition.

Fact is, if ever they stand a chance of beating us, is now.  I know they have a hard chance though we will rise despite the odds.

GO TNT!!

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »
Trini i agree with you...I at time get down on my country men...because it seem they are rated so high playing in the PFL ( Trinidad).... I think they should be a step headed of the other team's in the caribbean...now i say that with no disrespect to the other team's in caribbean... but i hold the local at a very high stand of play ....and went they don't  qualify or play with no heart to win the game... I get so up-set with the players and staff  but mostly the players...because they play like ...they don't care one-bit.... like they not fighting to win with all cost....Trini I'm hoping this  team come to play and play like there life  depend on it....defencing a country...that how i see it

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:49:47 AM »
Trini,

Us going WC doe mean nuttin to them teams, dey does look at it as...we does beat Trinidad, play better than them and run dem. If only WE were there.

We have no respect from any opponent and the WC thing is for dem to say...Imagine DAT side went WC.

Yes this side train six weeks but ask yuhself this how much practice game they play together?

Haiti play 4 games and it will be 6 before they play us.

Bdos play 1 and wanted camp

How much we play?

Is games does see who is practice champ and who is soldier.

Also in yuh 18 years of following ball this is the WEAKEST XI TT ever field, for any kinda match friendly or other wise.

But I want them come good, I want them win some games and I looking at qualification first.

I know I not going and see no kinda pretty ball, it will be a scruffle, but I hope we do enough to win. 1-0 and I happy.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:52:17 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »

Everyone has a point to prove  Trini are  a target everybody want to beat us . what yuh mean by first choice Oh and for that game in kingston jamaica played they full strenght squad ... and were just lucky to win

Me eh know where Trini get dat Jamaica had 2 first choice players in dat game.  Den again, dem days he was more Jamaican dan Trini.  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »

Lucky to win.  ??? ??? Hmmm! Let's see. We played T&T again in the return leg in T&T. What was the "lucky" score again.  :rotfl: :rotfl: 
jjbrown

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »

Lucky to win.  ??? ??? Hmmm! Let's see. We played T&T again in the return leg in T&T. What was the "lucky" score again.  :rotfl: :rotfl: 

ja vs tnt yuh pop out ah the blue
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
Good Afternoon,
                        It seems that everyone is worried about this team. but I keep stating that the new guys must cut teeth sometime. Sooner than later. Just hope those guys are focus and play with heart. the other thing about the locals not up to standard. That maybe true, but with the exception of DWight, Shaka, Chris, Latas, everyone else has played in the PFL at some point or another. So those agents(raiders) must see something we don't. MONEY!!!!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 12:24:49 PM »
The other teams have a good chance of beating T&T becuz we playin with a totally new team.
Imagine de big man in de side is Theobald!
But I still think that the quality of our local-based is good enough to beat these teams.
It comes down to how bad we want it.
We have to fight to the death if we want to win this tournament.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 01:39:44 PM »
[
Imagine de big man in de side is Theobald!

Oh yeah ? So what about hardest ?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 02:09:55 PM »

I find people overlooking Sealy.  He will put away the easy goals...something important for this kinda competition where the defense mightn be as tough at a higher level.

Scoring goals will be important cuz I eh sure how many clean sheets we keeping.  Scorelines might be closer to 3-2?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 02:17:46 PM »

I find people overlooking Sealy.  He will put away the easy goals...something important for this kinda competition where the defense mightn be as tough at a higher level.

Scoring goals will be important cuz I eh sure how many clean sheets we keeping.  Scorelines might be closer to 3-2?

Yes dcs good point... and for those who been following de digicel highlights.... defences have been poor and giving up plenty easy chances... forwards missing plenty too...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »
TT may struggle in this tournament but I believe that Tiger and Sealy will shine.

Tiger was unlucky not be given a chance by Whim prior to the WC.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »
 fellas went will these guy's come around ...I think it's time .....this shit with defence can't defend and forward can't score...what the hell..........it's time for these guy's to step up to the plate....the other team's coming to Trinidad to play for  keep...for crying out l

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »
TT may struggle in this tournament but I believe that Tiger and Sealy will shine.

Peace,
VB

you mean Tiger was not given a chance by Wim so he could complete the full circle of coaches ? Now that is a crying shame ! I am glad that at least someone still believes in him . Sealey, now he I expect big things from.

Offline Slade

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 03:02:31 PM »

Peace,
VB
Hey man what's up, had fun in Germany

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 04:59:41 PM »

But triniman there's always a certain measure of luck in any sport you play,I don't think any team wins a game outright just based on there strenghts and on the flip side if we scored the only goal in that match they would've said that we were lucky also...............

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »

Peace,
VB
Hey man what's up, had fun in Germany

Slade you does jess pop up out ah de blues soo
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany