April 28, 2024, 07:37:35 PM

Author Topic: Lara's Letter to the Board  (Read 3141 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lara's Letter to the Board
« on: March 20, 2005, 07:28:33 PM »
Trinidad Guardian

Brian Lara’s “primary consideration” is “to ensure the survival of West Indies cricket.”

He said so in a letter on Saturday night, responding to an invitation the day before from the board’s CEO Roger Brathwaite to join the squad for the First Test match against South Africa in Guyana.

Lara’s letter was faxed to news rooms yesterday.

Lara said he was “ready, willing and able to continue participating in West Indies cricket, providing....that the best team will be selected, with an assurance from all the parties that the outstanding issues would be brought to the table and discussed.”

The board ignored the suggestion, leaving Lara out of the 14-man team and naming Guyanese left-handed batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul as captain for the Test series which begins on March 31.

The letter from Lara is the latest twist in a four-month imbroglio that has plagued West Indies cricket.

The conflict has involved players’ contracts (WICB and WIPA), sponsorship contracts (current team sponsor Digicel and Cable & Wireless, sponsors of Lara and six others left out of consideration) and players’ fees.

Following is the full text of Lara’s letter.

To: Roger Braithwaite,

Chief Executive Officer,

West Indies Cricket Board Inc.

Dear Mr Braithwaite,

I refer to your letter of invitation dated March 19, 2005, and would like to express my gratitude for your kind invitation which permits me the opportunity, again, to join the West Indies team.

As you are aware, I have devoted my whole life to all aspects of West Indies cricket. It is in these circumstances that I am bound to say that I have found extreme difficulty in formulating an appropriate response to your invitation.

On the one hand, if I were to accept the invitation, then I would feel that I have abandoned part of the core of players who have represented the West Indies with me over recent years and all of whom are teammates.

On the other hand, if I were to decline, then I feel I would be repudiating my deep feelings for the West Indian supporters and the furtherance of the game.

What I would like to see is the best team selected to compete in the forthcoming series.

I would also like to see an amicable resolution to the outstanding issues in an atmosphere of mutual compromise and respect, which would all redound to uplifting the morale and pride of the West Indian people who are so passionate about the sport.

I do not wish to be put in a position where I consider that my response to your invitation would be indicative of a selection of one option and the rejection of another.

In circumstances where neither my loyalty to the players nor my loyalty to West Indies cricket can be denied, I confirm that I am ready, willing and able to continue participating in West Indies cricket, provided that, even at this late stage, the best team will be selected with an assurance from all of the parties that the outstanding issues would be brought to the table and discussed.

I wish to state unequivocally that it is my intention to ensure the survival of West Indies cricket. That is my primary consideration.

Sincerely,

Brian Charles Lara

1]; } ?>