April 27, 2024, 01:21:13 AM

Author Topic: Glen makes way for Robbie Findley.  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Glen makes way for Robbie Findley.
« on: January 14, 2007, 07:23:44 AM »
One forward in, another out at Beckham's new club.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

A day after world football star David Beckham signed for American Major League Soccer team LA Galaxy, a young forward out of Oregon State, Robbie Findley was selected by the club in the second round (16th overall) of the MLS SuperDraft on Friday.
Findley has dual citizenship for the United States and Trinidad and Tobago and has already had some involvement with the T&T set up.
But while Findley's move puts him alongside Beckham for the new season, another T&T forward, World Cup team member Cornell Glen recently found out that he will not be in Galaxy colours for the 2007 season.
Glen, currently nursing a knee injury which he suffered on his return to play for the club after the World Cup, will not be re-signed by the club. Glen's contract ended in December. He was injured in T&T's final World Cup match against Paraguay in June but after returning to the Galaxy team, things got worse and Glen had to undergo operation. However he was being handled by Galaxy and was under the understanding that he would be in line for an extension. But Glen thinks it was the decision of LA Galaxy General Manager Alexi Lalas that he not be re-signed.
"I know the coach was expecting to have me back because we had been in touch throughout the injury period," Glen said. "But these things happen and I won't be going back to LA. Hopefully something else will come up and I'll also be looking to Europe for a new club," he added on Friday.
The speedy forward who made an impression against Sweden and England at the 2006 World Cup said he expects to resume training in three months and has targeted the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup as return to playing, once T&T progresses to the tournament of course. Glen played five games in the 2006 MLS Season, scoring two goals in four matches with Galaxy and playing one with Colorado Rapids. He netted 12 goals in a total of 45 matches dating back to 2004 during which he played with LA Galaxy, Colorado Raphids, NY/NJ MetroStars, Columbus Crew and Dallas FC.

Findley highest rated forward in draft

Robbie Findley was the highest-rated forward in the draft according to some experts. He had an excellent showing at the MLS Combine in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., last weekend.
“I was excited when my name was called,” Findley said. “Before that, I was nervous sitting there. I didn’t know when I was going to get picked. I was just sitting there praying. It was a lot of relief when my name was called. I’ve been watching the Galaxy since I was a little kid.”
Just the third OSU player to ever be taken in the MLS Super-Draft, Findley is cognizant of the opportunity he has.
“To go out there and to have the chance to play with David Beckham, who has played in the best leagues in the world, I can learn a lot from that,” he said. “I knew the Galaxy were interested in me because I had talked to them at the combine and they said that they hoped they could get me. That’s why I was nervous in the first round because they kept trading their picks. I didn’t know what was going to happen.”
The Galaxy traded away the No. 5 and 10 picks in the first round, gambling that Findley would still be on the board.
He is the highest Beaver to be drafted by the MLS. Alan Gordon was taken by the Galaxy in 2004 (sixth round, 53rd overall). Findley and Gordon played together at Oregon State in 2003 and will be reunited with the Galaxy.
Ryan Johnson was taken by Real Salt Lake in 2006 (third round, 26th overall) and now plays for the Chicago Fire.
Findley was the first player from the Pacific-10 Conference chosen and one of three taken by the Galaxy. Other Pac-10 players drafted were Ty Harden of Washington (2nd round, 23rd overall, Los Angeles), Tally Hall of San Diego State (4th round, 44th overall, Los Angeles) and Eric Ebert of California (4th round, 52nd overall, Houston).
Findley earned three consecutive NSCAA All-Far West Region honors. He was named to the 2006 second team, the 2005 first team and the 2004 third team. He also earned All-Pac-10 first team honors in 2006 to become a four-time All-Pac-10 selection. He made the first team as a sophomore, junior and senior (becoming the first OSU player ever to make the first team three times) and made the second team as a 2003 freshman. He was also the 2003 Pac-10 Freshman of the Year.
He led the 2006 squad with six goals, five assists and 17 points. On OSU’s all-time lists, he ended his four-year career tied for first in game-winning goals (10), third in goals (28), third in points (71) and tied for fourth in assists (15).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:14:37 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Glen makes way for Robbie Findley.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 07:48:24 AM »
glen should try to move to belgium or sweden the mls will continue to just toss him around well i hope we contact findley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 07:51:44 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:23:31 AM »
Glen really unlucky star....Yorke help ussssss out here

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 08:35:23 AM »
Honestly I was surprise Glen wasn't picked up by some European club after the world cup. He was our best forward at the 2006 world cup.

He played maybe 2/3 games for LA and played pretty decent, maybe he made way for Beckham as far as salary and international spot is concern, LA will now have to dig deep into their pockets to pay Beckham, I know sponsors will cover part, but LA may still have to come up with some $, this is why they have no choice but to use draft picked players, they have a relatively young team, no ?. They might be broke and to make matters worst, a stadium that holds 27,000 doesn't help even if they get a sold out stadium every game (candles cost more than funeral)...

I also hope the MLS does not have a claw on Glen's contract or else it might be hard for him to sign for some other club. Remember, Stern John, Forest had to sell him because of the MLS claw... they couldn't afford to pay MLS after John start hitting the nets over 18 goals which John was one goal shy of.

Good luck to Robbie Findley, he will get called for T&T when we play Costa Rica next month. Both him and Edson Elcock.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:42:15 AM by Flex »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 09:01:21 AM »
Hmmm. Cornell Glen real sour boy. I wish him a speedy recovery and all the best. He capable. Hope things work out for the better.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:21:53 AM »
Yeah Glen is the real deal. He would be an asset to any club. But he has to know his body and avoid injuries as much as possible.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 11:45:50 AM »
it will be great to add findley to the squad, he is needed in our team right now, him and elcock would add dept to our forward line-up and some youth... :beermug:

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »
Glen is my favourite weapon-of-mass-destruction forward. I am truly hoping that he recovers and takes his time to test his knee out. Cornell, if yuh hearing dis breds, best of luck. Don't fret. Yuh go be alright and get a good club eventually. Doh study all de pappyshow wirth Beckham, just keep focused on your business.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
I hope glen finds a club soon when he is  100% . He should be qualified to get a  work permitt in england...  a  league 1  club would be a good start
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 09:58:24 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 02:06:21 PM »
...to sell him because of the MLS claw... they couldn't afford to pay MLS after John start hitting the nets over 18 goals which John was one goal shy of.

Do you mean CLAUSE ?  Funny stuff!

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 02:50:34 PM »
too bad cuz you know LA games would be on tv every week, so we would have been able to watch Glenn alot.
Hart for president

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 03:49:24 PM »
Why am I not surprise
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 06:03:23 PM »
...   I am truly hoping that he recovers and takes his time to test his knee out. Cornell, if yuh hearing dis breds, best of luck. Don't fret. Yuh go be alright and get a good club eventually. Doh study all de pappyshow wirth Beckham, just keep focused on your business.

I agree.

Tough luck for Glen.  Nature can sometimes his in unexpected ways.  Here is hoping for a complete recovery and a chance to take your game to that next level.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 09:55:19 PM »
Honestly I was surprise Glen wasn't picked up by some European club after the world cup. He was our best forward at the 2006 world cup.

I believe that the only reason he was not  picked up was because he got injured in the World Cup.  I hope he rcovers and regains his WC form.  Good luck and God bless, Glen.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 10:05:02 PM »
The fact that another Trini get sign soften the hard fact that Glen get released from the club

All the best to Glen. One of we best strikers. Hope he keeps focussed, keeps fit and works his way to his best....something will work out for him

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 12:17:41 AM »
This is a good chance for Glen to get into Europe.
MLS contract done in December?  Thank the Lord!
A couple trials and Glen will be playing in Europe instead of this MLS crap.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 02:00:07 AM »
Falkirk might have an opening from what I see

Ah Latas help de man out.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 07:54:14 AM »
Did Glen actually had the operation ? I hope so...

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 09:05:54 AM »
Yeah he had the operation and broke down during the recovery so he taking it slow now. I think he have a spot at Falkirk now that Stokes gone to Sunderland, but that league real phyisical when you now come across. He need a link somweher else in Europe til he recovers properly from the injury.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »
glen should look to europe freal....holland, spain, france or even a return to portugal
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 03:29:52 PM »
What's glens prognosis right now,is he healing well and seeking a definite comeback.......... 

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »
Time for a new (long like the one Leonson get) Glen interview. Thanks in advance Tallman, Flex. palos
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>